✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Greetings again Yeshua HaDerekh,

I used my computer program and found that all of these are associated with the verb "to be". I was aware of Hayah previously, and its association with Yahweh, but I was not familiar with the other two. I am not sure why you have disclosed these, and how it in any way has any relevance or effect on what I have already stated. Why obscure the discussion with a few obscure Hebrew words, instead of discussing what has been presented already?

Kind regards
Trevor
My question is how is "Yahweh" associated with those 3 Hebrew words? Which Hebrew names begin with Yah? Yah is not used as a theophoric prefix. YeHo is. Again, how does Yeshua/YeHoshua include the "Yahweh" name??

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
He was, He is, He will be is the translation
I have heard that suggestion but I consider that this is inconsistent with the context Exodus 3:12 and Exodus 6:1-8. What range of meaning is included in the Hebrew "Imperfect" tense?

As Young People we were instructed about the Yahweh Name 59 years ago, and the youth Leader on a number of occasions in the years following prompted my thought by suggesting some other passages, expecting me to consider these and draw my own conclusions, such as with Exodus 6:1-8. There have been many talks and articles in the intervening years. The discussion that I mentioned was a forum article that I encountered 18 years ago, and he strongly and effectively advocated the future tense "I will be / He will be". Most of the posts on both sides were significant, unlike many threads these days on most forums, and the thread was 143 posts and I have a copy for reference. The author was associated with Biblical Languages at a UK University. I have recently written to the main advocate of that thread and he helped with some aspects of the subject. Also one of the Trinitarians is still active on that forum and he also reaffirmed his acceptance and advocacy of "I will be / He will be". He is a Hebrew scholar on that forum but is still a Trinitarian. I am not ready to argue on a language level. I will mention a few readily available resources. Have you considered Rotherham's introduction to his Bible translation? Have you looked at Englishman's? Why do they place Ehyeh in Exodus 3:14 under future tense?

My personal resources are expositions on this subject starting with two expositions from 1854 and 1864. The first resulted from where the author was asked by two Jews, and the principal one had converted to "Christianity" and was having great trouble trying to convince his fellow Jews about the Trinity. The author did not agree with the Trinity and gave an exposition of the Yahweh Name to the general satisfaction of the Jewish audience and to the disappointment of the Jew who had asked him to speak. He then summarised his teaching in his magazine.
Again, how does Yeshua/YeHoshua include the "Yahweh" name??
How do you understand the following:
Numbers 13:16 (KJV): These are the names of the men which Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses called Oshea the son of Nun Jehoshua.
Also, how do you understand the meaning of the name "Isaiah"? How do you understand that Salvation is now in and through the Name of Jesus?

Kind regards
Trevor

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I have heard that suggestion but I consider that this is inconsistent with the context Exodus 3:12 and Exodus 6:1-8. What range of meaning is included in the Hebrew "Imperfect" tense?

How do you understand the following:
Numbers 13:16 (KJV): These are the names of the men which Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses called Oshea the son of Nun Jehoshua.
Also, how do you understand the meaning of the name "Isaiah"? How do you understand that Salvation is now in and through the Name of Jesus?

Kind regards
Trevor
You are using the KJV correct? In the original Hewbrew is is just "I YHVH"...ani YHVH. My point is HOW do you get YeHoshua/Yeshua from "Yahweh"?? Isaiah in Hebrew is Yeshayahu. YaH saves or YaH is salvation. YaH is a poetic abbreviation of YHVH, used in many names as a theophoric suffix. YeHo is used as a theophoric prefix.

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
You are using the KJV correct? In the original Hewbrew is is just "I YHVH"...ani YHVH. My point is HOW do you get YeHoshua/Yeshua from "Yahweh"?? Isaiah in Hebrew is Yeshayahu. YaH saves or YaH is salvation. YaH is a poetic abbreviation of YHVH, used in many names as a theophoric suffix. YeHo is used as a theophoric prefix.
I use the KJV and others. I do not know what you are asking. Please comment on Numbers 13:16.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I use the KJV and others. I do not know what you are asking. Please comment on Numbers 13:16.

Kind regards
Trevor
I already did. Joshua...YeHoshua...Yeshua. MY question is HOW do YOU get that from "Yahweh"???

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I already did. Joshua...YeHoshua...Yeshua. MY question is HOW do YOU get that from "Yahweh"???
I consider that Joshua is Yah-Oshea, or similar spelling. Yah is the prefix that Moses added to Oshea's name, a poetic abbreviation of Yahweh indicating that Joshua would be the vehicle of Yahweh's salvation, and he also pointed forward to Jesus, the Lamb of God who would take away the sins of the world..

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I consider that Joshua is Yah-Oshea, or similar spelling. Yah is the prefix that Moses added to Oshea's name, a poetic abbreviation of Yahweh indicating that Joshua would be the vehicle of Yahweh's salvation, and he also pointed forward to Jesus, the Lamb of God who would take away the sins of the world..

Kind regards
Trevor
Did you just make that up??? It does not work that way in Hebrew...it is YeHoshua. Moshe changed it from הוֹשֵׁ֥עַ to יְהוֹשֻֽׁעַ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I don't have any other source to compare the JE with.

You do not need to compare the JE to anything else. All the problems are right there on that page. They are proposing two different Names. And for one Name, they say an abbreviation is "Ho", which is an impossiblity from that Name. There are others...

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Did you just make that up???
I mentioned this in Post #2. I will check my Hebrew resources this afternoon.
It does not work that way in Hebrew...it is YeHoshua. Moshe changed it from הוֹשֵׁ֥עַ to יְהוֹשֻֽׁעַ
How do you understand the meaning of the change of his name from Oshea to Joshua? Rather than quoting the Hebrew - please translate - we all know that you have Hebrew skills, but do you understand the reason for this name change and the essential meaning of this change. Are you fair dinkum? dinky di?

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Did you just make that up??? It does not work that way in Hebrew...it is YeHoshua. ְהוֹשֵׁ֥עַ to יְהוֹשֻֽׁעַ

I mentioned this in Post #2. I will check my Hebrew resources this afternoon.

How do you understand the meaning of the change of his name from Oshea to Joshua? Rather than quoting the Hebrew - please translate - we all know that you have Hebrew skills, but do you understand the reason for this name change and the essential meaning of this change. Are you fair dinkum? dinky di?

Kind regards
Trevor
Already did! Hoshea to YeHoshua...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do not need to compare the JE to anything else. All the problems are right there on that page. They are proposing two different Names. And for one Name, they say an abbreviation is "Ho", which is an impossiblity from that Name. There are others...
Still too vague.

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I stand by what I said, which you seem to deny or avoid, and my conclusion is that you are not fair dinkum.
Again, how does Yeshua/YeHoshua include the "Yahweh" name??
Did you just make that up??? It does not work that way in Hebrew...it is YeHoshua. Moshe changed it from הוֹשֵׁ֥עַ to יְהוֹשֻֽׁעַ
I decided to do a few basic checks before reading your latest post, and I added this to a Word document, and will now simply copy and paste, as I do not see the need to further clarify or spend any more time discussing with you.

Joshua
Oshea: Salvation
Joshua: Yah is salvation
Immediate context:
Numbers 13:17–20 (KJV): 17 And Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said unto them, Get you up this way southward, and go up into the mountain: 18 And see the land, what it is; and the people that dwelleth therein, whether they be strong or weak, few or many; 19 And what the land is that they dwell in, whether it be good or bad; and what cities they be that they dwell in, whether in tents, or in strong holds; 20 And what the land is, whether it be fat or lean, whether there be wood therein, or not. And be ye of good courage, and bring of the fruit of the land. Now the time was the time of the firstripe grapes.

Numbers 13:30 (KJV):And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.

Numbers 14:23–24 (KJV): 23 Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it: 24 But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it.

Numbers 14:30 (KJV): 30 Doubtless ye shall not come into the land, concerning which I sware to make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.

Jesus: Yah is salvation
Matthew 1:20–21 (KJV):20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I stand by what I said, which you seem to deny or avoid, and my conclusion is that you are not fair dinkum.

I decided to do a few basic checks before reading your latest post, and I added this to a Word document, and will now simply copy and paste, as I do not see the need to further clarify or spend any more time discussing with you.

Joshua
Immediate context:
Numbers 13:17–20 (KJV): 17 And Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said unto them, Get you up this way southward, and go up into the mountain: 18 And see the land, what it is; and the people that dwelleth therein, whether they be strong or weak, few or many; 19 And what the land is that they dwell in, whether it be good or bad; and what cities they be that they dwell in, whether in tents, or in strong holds; 20 And what the land is, whether it be fat or lean, whether there be wood therein, or not. And be ye of good courage, and bring of the fruit of the land. Now the time was the time of the firstripe grapes.

Numbers 13:30 (KJV):And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.

Numbers 14:23–24 (KJV): 23 Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it: 24 But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it.

Numbers 14:30 (KJV): 30 Doubtless ye shall not come into the land, concerning which I sware to make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.

Jesus: Yah is salvation
Matthew 1:20–21 (KJV):20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Kind regards
Trevor
LOL...you can stick your head in the sand, take your ball and go home. That does not change that you are wrong. It is quite evident that you do not understand how Hebrew works. You can believe whatever you want, millions do it and millions are wrong...just like you. HaMevin Yavin

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
LOL...you can stick your head in the sand, take your ball and go home. That does not change that you are wrong. It is quite evident that you do not understand how Hebrew works. You can believe whatever you want, millions do it and millions are wrong...just like you.
That's fine. I will hold on to what I believe and have presented here in this thread until someone gives a clearer picture, or shows me where I am wrong. I have not seen this with what you have presented. You have the appearance of an understanding of Hebrew, but you do not in any way seem to discuss and explain the meaning of the Hebrew and you have not addressed the Scriptures that I have quoted and their relevant context. You seem to want to obscure the discussion by "digging" deeper into the Hebrew, and I doubt that other readers here understand what you are getting at, the "millions" who you hold in contempt, rather than using the Hebrew to clarify any aspect. I am not willing to play your particular game.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

That's fine. I will hold on to what I believe and have presented here in this thread until someone gives a clearer picture, or shows me where I am wrong. I have not seen this with what you have presented. You have the appearance of an understanding of Hebrew, but you do not in any way seem to discuss and explain the meaning of the Hebrew and you have not addressed the Scriptures that I have quoted and their relevant context. You seem to want to obscure the discussion by "digging" deeper into the Hebrew, and I doubt that other readers here understand what you are getting at, the "millions" who you hold in contempt, rather than using the Hebrew to clarify any aspect. I am not willing to play your particular game.

Kind regards
Trevor
You were already shown where you were wrong but you continue to say 1 + 1 = 11. I am not playing games, just trying to help you understand where and why you are wrong. You already have your mind made up that what you believe is correct so I guess that is why the facts confuse you. I have addressed it but you do not like the answers. Since you can't or don't want to understand any of this, I won't waste any more of my time on you...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I am not playing games, just trying to help you understand where and why you are wrong.
I asked the above, and then presented my own conclusion from looking at a few reference books and considering the context. Here is the verse again and the brief summary of my assessment.
Joshua
Also I consider the overall context is that Joshua would be successful if he trusted in God, rather than in his own ability, and as such he would be successful as the deliverance and victory would be by the One God, God the Father's, Yahweh's care and guidance and power, as eventually was evident with the conquest of Jericho 38 years after and other victories of Joshua as leader. That is why Moses added the Yahweh Name in some form (you may dispute this or tell us exactly how this is written in Hebrew) to his existing name Oshea. If you disagree with this conclusion I would be interested, rather than a dive into Hebrew and telling me that I am wrong and a million others also are wrong. I really do think that you are avoiding this, but I will apologise now if you could clarify in simple terms for someone at my level of Hebrew language skills. I am fairly sure that others have failed to grasp what you are claiming on this particular item, let alone other items in this thread.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PMFBI but you answered your own question in your post #43, above. "YeHo is used as a theophoric prefix."

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
PMFBI but you answered your own question in your post #43, above. "YeHo is used as a theophoric prefix."

YeHo is used as a PREFIX. So again, how do you get that from "Yahweh"? I guess I did answer it...you don't...

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟992,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
YeHo is used as a PREFIX. So again, how do you get that from "Yahweh"? I guess I did answer it...you don't...
You tell me you said Yeho was a theophoric prefix. Don't know why but when Yah/Yahweh as the first part of a theophoric name it is written Yo or Yeho for the last part of a theophoric name it is written yah or yahu.

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
You tell me you said Yeho was a theophoric prefix. Don't know why but when Yah/Yahweh as the first part of a theophoric name it is written Yo or Yeho for the last part of a theophoric name it is written yah or yahu.
I am still confused at what you are driving at, or avoiding or denying. Surely Yeho is equivalent to Yahweh, the shortened form of Yahweh. When the Masorites added the vowel pointing of Adonai and Elohim to Yahweh, to be consistent they added the same portion of this to YH and hence Yeho instead of Yah.

The change of name for Oshea to Joshua is thus Yah-Oshea, and the lesson is exactly the same as with Moses in Exodus 3:12 and Exodus 3:14 that the One God, Yahweh, God the Father would be with Joshua, to bring the children of Israel into the promised Land. The first stage of God's activity was under Moses, to deliver Israel out of Egypt, the second stage of God's activity was under Joshua, to bring them into the Land. Thus the Yahweh Name is a future tense, of activity "I will be/He will be" Exodus 6:1-8, not existence "I AM". as summarised in the OP. Like Moses, Joshua would feel inadequate to achieve this result as a leader, but the God of activity, Yahweh, would be with him to achieve God's purpose and promise to the Fathers, and bring Israel into the Land.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0