The XVIth Council of Carthage.

judge

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
✟318.00
Faith
Christian
The sixteenth council of carthage in 418 A.D. condemned as heresy the following propositions.

(1) Adam was created mortal and would have died whether he had sinned or not.
(2) The sin of Adam hurt only himself, and not all mankind.
(3) Newborn infants die in the same state as Adam was in before the Fall.

It would appear that they considered the converse of the above statements to be indispensible to the Christian faith.

Should we have the same attitude?

By denying the historic view of the fall of man are we losing a proper understanding of our salvation?

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
It is amazing how much the christian faith has been influenced by a handfull of individuals. Especially in councils of the early church. Women were granted souls, the gnostic gospels were branded as heresies, the concept of the trinity, and which books to include/exlude into the bible were all decided by these meetings. In cases where I have brought this up the usual reply is; "Well the council members were inspired by God, and that is why Enoch and Bartholemew are not part of the bible".

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
By denying the historic view of the fall of man are we losing a proper understanding of our salvation?

I believe that any time we fail to understand any part of God's plan and the truth that lies behind it, we fail to have a "proper understanding of our salvation."

God Bless,

Neal

Upvote 0

Chuck_Darwin

Sep 21, 2002
Holland, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,023.00
Faith
Atheist
Is there an online translation of the findings of that Council? I couldn't find one any where when I looked on google. I would love to verify that. IO would prefer a complete translation of the text.
I would wager that they expounded on many thing at that council that would contradict current american fundimentalism. Lot's of folks like to quote from church fathers very selectively.

Upvote 0

Chris H

Sep 1, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟569.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a very serious question here. If most of the scientific evidence points towards evolution, and if we believe that Christ is the savior of mankind, then shouldn't we want to re-examine our thinking on Adam in light of science just to be sure that we have the proper understanding of scripture???

Chris

Upvote 0

judge

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
✟318.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Chris H
I have a very serious question here. If most of the scientific evidence points towards evolution, and if we believe that Christ is the savior of mankind, then shouldn't we want to re-examine our thinking on Adam in light of science just to be sure that we have the proper understanding of scripture???

Chris

Hi there!

I don't think evidence "points" anywhere. Individual facts and pieces of data are collected or disgarded and organised into a framework. depending on the "framework" the same collection of facts can be made to say different things.

Alternatively one can collect different facts as well.

All the best

Upvote 0

judge

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
✟318.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Chuck_Darwin
Is there an online translation of the findings of that Council? I couldn't find one any where when I looked on google. I would love to verify that. IO would prefer a complete translation of the text.
I would wager that they expounded on many thing at that council that would contradict current american fundimentalism. Lot's of folks like to quote from church fathers very selectively.

It would be great if there was an online translation, but not yet!  As far as I am aware. But you should be able to find many references using google. Try it with original sin perhaps. Also try the council of trent and the council of orange as IIRC they dealt with the same issues. (or even Romans chapt 5)

All the best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums