up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For me its simple. you through 100 doctors and scientist together, 90%...at least will tell you that climate change is real and vaccines save lives...both of which can be proven. Then you have the other 10 percent who spout misinformation that can not be proven, or can be out and out disproven. And then you have this massive group of online people most of who do even have a college degree who throw out the most ridiculous ignorant theory's and people will listen
It all boils down to who controls the narrative. That narrative may not be right but it doesn't matter. Those in control dictate what is truth.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have a question and maybe someone can answer me. Did the WhiteHouse or Gov. say that they were going to be deleting Facebook accounts and or post? As well as post from other sites such as Twitter or ect ect? Because all that I have found on this is that they are advising people to think about what they are sharing/reposting. To check and make sure that what they are sharing/reposting is information supported by a medical person or science ect ect. I have not come across anything saying that the Gov or the Whitehouse are deleted social media accounts or post. If anyone has come across this. Do say and do post where I can go and find this information. As I am a seeker of truth. Thank You!

It's not much different than a mobster who wants to provide you with his protection services because he genuinely "wouldn't want to see anything happen to you".
More to the point, it's a multi-step process. Government says, "Be careful what you say!", then works with Facebook to tow the government's narrative. When the government wants to flag a person's post for not going with their narrative, it's a signal to Facebook to "Censor this person". That's how government works with corporations to achieve its goals and can silence people without any constitutional issues getting involved. They simply make it look like it was all Facebook's decision.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's how government works with corporations to achieve its goals and can silence people without any constitutional issues getting involved.
You mean like making it illegal to criticize the food industry?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biden administration ‘flagging problematic posts for Facebook,’ Psaki says

The Biden administration is playing an active role in flagging Facebook posts it considers to be “problematic” or “disinformation,” according to White House press secretary Jen Psaki.

During a Thursday press conference, Psaki said White House senior staff were engaging with “social media platforms” to combat the spread of “misinformation specifically on the pandemic.”
IMHO - that is a key element in developing an authoritarian regime - When the executive branch is actively interjecting itself in private corporations that disseminate information to more than 1 billion people worldwide, it is time to not tap the brakes, but slam them to the floor.

The Executive branch of the Government has no role in determining what it "consider to be problematic" this is a gross overreach and power grab.
Welcome to China, folks.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to China, folks.
Actually, welcome to the WEF of which 170 nations including China are a part. Communiusm and capitalism have been absorbed into Corporatism. Corporate takeover has gone beyond businesses and into governments. It's the final solution as nothing of this world can take over what has taken over all. Hence the need for an outside solution, the very thing religion has supposed to have been talking about all these millennia but failed to do when it also got absorbed.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Woollybear

Jul 8, 2021
Midwest
✟19,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not much different than a mobster who wants to provide you with his protection services because he genuinely "wouldn't want to see anything happen to you".
More to the point, it's a multi-step process. Government says, "Be careful what you say!", then works with Facebook to tow the government's narrative. When the government wants to flag a person's post for not going with their narrative, it's a signal to Facebook to "Censor this person". That's how government works with corporations to achieve its goals and can silence people without any constitutional issues getting involved. They simply make it look like it was all Facebook's decision.

So in other words. It is not being said the the Gov or Whitehouse is deleting post. Just speculating that they will.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So in other words. It is not being said the the Gov or Whitehouse is deleting post. Just speculating that they will.

The Biden administration is playing an active role in flagging Facebook posts it considers to be “problematic” or “disinformation,” according to White House press secretary Jen Psaki. (From post #1)

My "speculation" is that Psaki is telling the truth here.

Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It all boils down to who controls the narrative. That narrative may not be right but it doesn't matter. Those in control dictate what is truth.
Its ignorance, When you have over 90% of the medical and scientific community saying climate change is real and vaccines are good why do people listen to the morons...most of the theories are not even from people with a college education.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the most amazing and shocking thing about this thread is just how many people actually support the idea of the government intervening and working with social media to censor whatever the government deems "disinformation".

Is anyone here old enough to remember back to last year when Facebook did not allow any discussion of the lab-leak theory concerning COVID? Posts that posited this theory were flagged and deleted, even though now it's been deemed a plausible theory. So apparently you're only allowed to discuss it if the government tells you it's OK.

If you cannot see that this is ripe for abuse by the government, you're simply not paying attention.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think the most amazing and shocking thing about this thread is just how many people actually support the idea of the government intervening and working with social media to censor whatever the government deems "disinformation".

Is anyone here old enough to remember back to last year when Facebook did not allow any discussion of the lab-leak theory concerning COVID? Posts that posited this theory were flagged and deleted, even though now it's been deemed a plausible theory. So apparently you're only allowed to discuss it if the government tells you it's OK.

If you cannot see that this is ripe for abuse by the government, you're simply not paying attention.

Let’s get the facts straight before Fox news and Trump support keep saying “ sky is falling” .

US Surgeon General office is flagging FB post which they think false. The same capability you and I have as a FB users. Nothing special or additional access to FB , but same “ Flagging / Abuse/ Like tabs for all FB uses.

Then FB has every right to reject/ accept if they consider that report as legitimate or not. So WH and Gov is not getting any special treatment from FB.

But again what is the most shocking is that Trump support now have wisdom to see that if GOV abuse their power and muzzle media it is dangerous for democracy. I give ZERO credit to those people who supported Trump for past 5 years and now suddenly concern about Free Media.

Trump Supporter has ZERO creditability to talk about free media!

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
“It is the absolute right of the State to supervise the formation of public opinion.”

Sounds like History is repeating itself.

I don’t want Biden administration , or Trump administration to supervise public opinion, media , press . Gov should stay away , and if any government try to get involve , we should stand up. I agree with you 100%.

But I was wondering where were you when Trump was calling media “ enemy of the people” ?

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
US Surgeon General office is flagging FB post which they think false. The same capability you and I have as a FB users. Nothing special or additional access to FB , but same “ Flagging / Abuse/ Like tabs for all FB uses.

Interesting. Last year, the Surgeon General tweeted "Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!". That is, until they did a 180 and decided masks were amazing! So if you posted that masks were necessary back when the Surgeon General decided that no one needed them, that would be "disinformation". But then, wait! Masks are good, declareth the government, so now you may discuss without interference. Just like the lab-leak theory. We must censor this discussion! It is a conspiracy theory! Do not speak its name! Until, whoops! Lab-leak may be the most plausible explantion for this virus after all. Our bad. Discuss away! And you're OK with this?

Then FB has every right to reject/ accept if they consider that report as legitimate or not. So WH and Gov is not getting any special treatment from FB.
Baloney. Facebook's fact checking is nothing more than a kangaroo court. This is an excellent article that explained exactly what happened when Facebook decided to "fact-check" the opinion of Dr. Marty Makary, MD, MPH, a Johns Hopkins professor;

Facebook: A worthy judge of Medical Info? | Medpage Today

Trump Supporter has ZERO creditability to talk about free media!

I'm not now, and never have been, a Trump supporter. But it's telling (and concerning) that you're more interested in political alliances than you are in government overreach.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For 20 years the assumption has been social media was a deliberate data gathering tool of government anyway.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But I was wondering where were you when Trump was calling media “ enemy of the people” ?
Where were any of us when commercial interests took over the internet and ads and data collection became more important than private content.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Last year, the Surgeon General tweeted "Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!". That is, until they did a 180 and decided masks were amazing! So if you posted that masks were necessary back when the Surgeon General decided that no one needed them, that would be "disinformation". But then, wait! Masks are good, declareth the government, so now you may discuss without interference. Just like the lab-leak theory. We must censor this discussion! It is a conspiracy theory! Do not speak its name! Until, whoops! Lab-leak may be the most plausible explantion for this virus after all. Our bad. Discuss away! And you're OK with this?
It is called controlling the narrative but we were influenced by two opposing sides, one national, more recently one global.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Baloney. Facebook's fact checking is nothing more than a kangaroo court. This is an excellent article that explained exactly what happened when Facebook decided to "fact-check" the opinion of Dr. Marty Makary, MD, MPH, a Johns Hopkins professor;
Everyone seems to mindlessly accept sites like sn*pes and the like as gospel truth because they present themselves as such, yet no one seems interesting in checking out their origins and credibility. Self made and self justifying.

Upvote 0