Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just everyone else is giving out "what they find most shocking" I will too. So here goes:

What I find most shocking is that Christians are in support of spreading untruths.

Complete nonsense.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Consider what has changed since masks were worn and public venues were shut down without complaint a hundred years ago,

Historical revisionism.

Nothing remotely close to the scale of what has occurred during the COVID-19 pandemic occurred during the 1918 flu pandemic. It simply couldn't. Without the Internet and Zoom and cell phones and all of the other technology we have today, there would be no sustainable way for people to be "safer at home". People still went to work, still went shopping, still made a living. Mass closures did not happen on the same scale. Likewise, not every school in the country was closed, and certainly not even close to being closed for an entire year. There were sporadic school closings lasting a week or 2 here or there, but absolutely nothing like we did for COVID. And there was opposition then, just like there is today.

or that there was no fuss made over the validity and mass vaccination program of the original polio vaccine. Something has destroyed any trust people once had in reality and common sense..

On this we agree. People's trust in public health is at an all-time low, which is the primary reason for vaccine hesitancy.

Gee. What could have destroyed people's trust? Could it be that we're now on day 491 of "15 days to slow the spread"? Or maybe because we're on day 181 of Biden's "Masks for 100 days" initiative? Or possibly the ever-changing guidance with no science or evidence to inform those changes? Or maybe the inconsistencies between the WHO guidance and the CDC guidance (6 feet? 1 meter?) Or maybe it's because the goalposts shift on a daily basis? Or perhaps it's because the predictive models that were used have been demonstrably wrong yet we still base policy on them? Or because not a single public health entity even attempts to factor natural immunity into their recommendations. Or maybe it's because the UK has evidence-based recommendations against mass vaccination of children and teens while the US says they have evidence-based recommendations for the mass vaccination of children and teens?

I realize that many people just want to chalk this up to people being difficult and stubborn, but the fact of the matter is public health has no one to blame but themselves for the lack of trust the public has. And without trust, public health is useless.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,982.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I realize that many people just want to chalk this up to people being difficult and stubborn, but the fact of the matter is public health has no one to blame but themselves for the lack of trust the public has. And without trust, public health is useless.
They just took their lead from leaders of the world who have always been liars or had it backwards. And just like with leaders, all their time is limited.

Upvote 0

ZagZig

Nov 25, 2020
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
And neither are post being flag on FB due to disagreement. It is about false information. You can't really disagree with a fact. I mean that is what makes it a fact. What is, is. Like water is wet.
The problem is that there are presently two polarized views. Who is presenting the false information. How many things were muzzled in the last year only to find that the muzzled view was actually the truth?
On a public forum, I believe that you should be able to state your view. Soon as a small group of the few start making decision for the many... as to what can and cannot be read, heard or seen... you are on a slippery slope.

What if they deleted, flagged and muzzled all those who came out against thalidomide?

Everyone should have a voice. The only ones that should be able to edit... is those held responsible for what is said. If your child is using your account, you have a right to edit what they say on your account, under your name. It's associated with you. However, you cannot edit what your neighbor says just because you don't "think" it's the truth.

Upvote 0

ZagZig

Nov 25, 2020
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Historical revisionism.

Nothing remotely close to the scale of what has occurred during the COVID-19 pandemic occurred during the 1918 flu pandemic. It simply couldn't. Without the Internet and Zoom and cell phones and all of the other technology we have today, there would be no sustainable way for people to be "safer at home". People still went to work, still went shopping, still made a living. Mass closures did not happen on the same scale. Likewise, not every school in the country was closed, and certainly not even close to being closed for an entire year. There were sporadic school closings lasting a week or 2 here or there, but absolutely nothing like we did for COVID. And there was opposition then, just like there is today.

On this we agree. People's trust in public health is at an all-time low, which is the primary reason for vaccine hesitancy.

Gee. What could have destroyed people's trust? Could it be that we're now on day 491 of "15 days to slow the spread"? Or maybe because we're on day 181 of Biden's "Masks for 100 days" initiative? Or possibly the ever-changing guidance with no science or evidence to inform those changes? Or maybe the inconsistencies between the WHO guidance and the CDC guidance (6 feet? 1 meter?) Or maybe it's because the goalposts shift on a daily basis? Or perhaps it's because the predictive models that were used have been demonstrably wrong yet we still base policy on them? Or because not a single public health entity even attempts to factor natural immunity into their recommendations. Or maybe it's because the UK has evidence-based recommendations against mass vaccination of children and teens while the US says they have evidence-based recommendations for the mass vaccination of children and teens?

Absolutely. The trust in these authorities was already dwindling. The last 18 months has done it in.

• Agree
Reactions: iarwain
Upvote 0

ZagZig

Nov 25, 2020
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Republicans, instead of uselessly complaining about this should seize this power and influence the next time they are in office.
I'm sorry... is it only republicans who oppose the muzzling of people stating their view on a public forum, by the government? That's kinda presumptive. Why do people, lately, always have to stick the "republican" sticker on anyone that has a thought that doesn't fit the presented narrative?
I have a very good friends from Romania and other countries that either were communist or still are. Once the government dictates(wink) what can and cannot be stated... it's a big red(wink wink) flag.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,657.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry... is it only republicans who oppose the muzzling of people stating their view on a public forum, by the government? That's kinda presumptive. Why do people, lately, always have to stick the "republican" sticker on anyone that has a thought that doesn't fit the presented narrative?
I have a very good friends from Romania and other countries that either were communist or still are. Once the government dictates(wink) what can and cannot be stated... it's a big red(wink wink) flag.

I didn't presume nearly as much. I only suggest equal retaliation and using the same tools that your enemy uses.

But I suspect the REpublicans, like in most things, will fail on doing the sane thing in response. Thus, as always, they will inevitably fail.

Upvote 0

ZagZig

Nov 25, 2020
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I didn't presume nearly as much. I only suggest equal retaliation and using the same tools that your enemy uses.

But I suspect the REpublicans, like in most things, will fail on doing the sane thing in response. Thus, as always, they will inevitably fail.
I'm sorry. Is retaliation your typical action? I'm not sure why you would form such a strong view of the Republicans and Democrats. They do not all fall neatly into two boxes when ideas and concepts are presented. Yes, for many they do. But stamping all those that think a certain way that contradicts a narrative, as Republicans, leaves you open for error. Its actually quite prejudicial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZagZig

Nov 25, 2020
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps definitions, descriptions and information should be left to printed dictionaries and encyclopaedias. Less chance of having them all changed constantly like in Wikipedia or FB
If things keep going the way they are I believe that old dictionaries will be recalled and the new ones allowed simply due to all the words that are now forbidden.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,982.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If things keep going the way they are I believe that old dictionaries will be recalled and the new ones allowed simply due to all the words that are now forbidden.
Or the words may be there but with a blank space to fill in our own definitions

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Historical revisionism.

Historical facts...
You're correct, most of the country didn't do what it should have done in order to save lives in1918-19. But there was a least one place in 1918-19 that did do what most of the country did this time and it made a huge difference for their community.

...According to the November 26, 1918 edition of the Montrose Press, “Gunnison and the vicinity surrounding it, are perhaps the freest from Spanish influenza of any point in the state.”...
Today, as entire countries are “locking down” in response to COVID-19, it will come as no surprise that the key to Gunnison’s success was due to, as the article says, “the rigidity of the rules governing it [the town]”; that is, Gunnison locked down. Schools, churches, parties and public gatherings were forbidden. People were free to leave at any time, but new arrivals had to be quarantined. Preemptive quarantining seemed to the Gunnison officials of over a century ago like the best way to protect the people. F.P. Hanson, the county physician, said:
How Gunnison Dealt with the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic

Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry you addressed only half the quote thus changing it's meaning
I changed nothing what are you talking about. You changed it...go back and look
I posted (Its ignorance, When you have over 90% of the medical and scientific community saying climate change is real and vaccines are good why do people listen to the morons...most of the theories are not even from people with a college education.) You quoted me but only posted the first two words of my comment.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Historical facts...
You're correct, most of the country didn't do what it should have done in order to save lives in1918-19. But there was a least one place in 1918-19 that did do what most of the country did this time and it made a huge difference for their community.

...According to the November 26, 1918 edition of the Montrose Press, “Gunnison and the vicinity surrounding it, are perhaps the freest from Spanish influenza of any point in the state.”...
Today, as entire countries are “locking down” in response to COVID-19, it will come as no surprise that the key to Gunnison’s success was due to, as the article says, “the rigidity of the rules governing it [the town]”; that is, Gunnison locked down. Schools, churches, parties and public gatherings were forbidden. People were free to leave at any time, but new arrivals had to be quarantined. Preemptive quarantining seemed to the Gunnison officials of over a century ago like the best way to protect the people. F.P. Hanson, the county physician, said:
How Gunnison Dealt with the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic

First of all, let's address the fact that Gunnison County is a remote mountain town and county in Colorado, and in 1918 the population of the town was 1,329, and the county's population was 5,590. The population density was 414 people/square mile in the town, and 1.8 people/square mile in the county. Gunnison County is far removed from any major population center;
Gunnison | U-M Center for the History of Medicine

To pretend like the incredibly sparsely populated area (1.8 people per SQUARE. MILE.) didn't significantly factor into why they were able to avoid infections is remarkably disingenuous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fr. Appletree

Priest of The Society of St. Pius V
Jun 24, 2021
Williamsburg
✟11,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Biden administration ‘flagging problematic posts for Facebook,’ Psaki says

The Biden administration is playing an active role in flagging Facebook posts it considers to be “problematic” or “disinformation,” according to White House press secretary Jen Psaki.

During a Thursday press conference, Psaki said White House senior staff were engaging with “social media platforms” to combat the spread of “misinformation specifically on the pandemic.”
IMHO - that is a key element in developing an authoritarian regime - When the executive branch is actively interjecting itself in private corporations that disseminate information to more than 1 billion people worldwide, it is time to not tap the brakes, but slam them to the floor.

The Executive branch of the Government has no role in determining what it "consider to be problematic" this is a gross overreach and power grab.

Well, duh, that's how they controlled the information ecology to bias the US elections in an act of high treason... and insurrection.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Biden administration ‘flagging problematic posts for Facebook,’ Psaki says

The Biden administration is playing an active role in flagging Facebook posts it considers to be “problematic” or “disinformation,” according to White House press secretary Jen Psaki.

During a Thursday press conference, Psaki said White House senior staff were engaging with “social media platforms” to combat the spread of “misinformation specifically on the pandemic.”
IMHO - that is a key element in developing an authoritarian regime - When the executive branch is actively interjecting itself in private corporations that disseminate information to more than 1 billion people worldwide, it is time to not tap the brakes, but slam them to the floor.

The Executive branch of the Government has no role in determining what it "consider to be problematic" this is a gross overreach and power grab.

Anyone can flag a post on Facebook. Facebook encourages it.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Freedom of speech is important. If we don't have that, then we cant trust anything we hear. You think the federal government should only be believed, and what only they say is truth? Not me, nor a great many people believe that.

How is your freedom of speech being impeded?

Upvote 0