AZ
✟101,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Faith (or trust) in God is an act of the will, describing an action between two agents. If the agency of man is absorbed under “Monergism,” then it is no longer faith or trust being displayed, but instead an action that God does to Himself through another agent. Faith and trust in God requires willing human consent, or else it’s no longer faith and trust that we are talking about. Faith
I can't will myself to trust God. It is an act of God that generates faith and trust
God acts, I trust.

The Lord is my shepherd
He maketh me to lie in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still water
He restoreth my soul (regeneration)

The opposite of faith is fear and doubt. The Good Shepherd calms the fears, gives reason to believe and trust.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for Thou art with me.
That is faith and trust.

God does all that, restores our soul, delivers us from evil, leads us on the paths of righteousness.

Why we believe is because we have faith. God gives us faith,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I can't will myself to trust God. It is an act of God that generates faith and trust
God acts, I trust.
Faith is in man's reach. Romans 10:17 says that faith comes from hearing the word of God and we all can choose what we listen to. John 20:31 gives a similar message. I argue that the gift of God in Ephesians 2:8 is salvation, not faith, based not only on Romans 10:17, but also upon Ephesians 2:9 and Romans 6:23.

Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.​
John 20:31 But these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.​
Total Depravity: Calvinists believe man is too morally depraved to repent and trust.

For Calvinists who wish to promote a doctrine of Total Inability, there is good and bad news. The good news is that it really is a doctrine found in the Bible. The bad news is that it reflects the doctrine of unrepentant Israel, which doctrine, God repudiated:

Jeremiah 18:11-13: “‘So now then, speak to the men of Judah and against the inhabitants of Jerusalem saying, “Thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I am fashioning calamity against you and devising a plan against you. Oh turn back, each of you from his evil way, and reform your ways and your deeds.’” But they will say, “It’s hopeless! For we are going to follow our own plans, and each of us will act according to the stubbornness of his evil heart.” Therefore thus says the Lord, “Ask now among the nations, who ever heard the like of this? The virgin of Israel has done a most appalling thing.”’”​

God does all that, restores our soul, delivers us from evil, leads us on the paths of righteousness.
God's Sheep. The Calvinist perspective is that God chooses His own sheep, that is, He seeks them and finds them, and has chosen them from eternity past.

God indeed seeks the lost, but the objection is over the notion that God makes the choice for us. Instead, we must choose God over sin. In other words, if you were to ask God to give you an “Irresistible Grace” so that you would never sin again, ever—you won’t get it. Like Peter, you will fall, and get back up again, and you must choose God over sin, every day. It’s the struggle that everyone faces. Some people don’t want to let certain things go. Others fall back into the same sins over and over, but we must get back up again. We must choose. We have to make a choice. He won’t make it for us.

Thankfully, because we have turned to God, He has given us a new nature that seeks to walk with Him and to do His will.
One example of this in the NT is where Peter promises salvation (i.e. forgiveneness of sins and receiving the Holy Spirit) to those who respond in repentance and baptism in Acts 2:36-41.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God acts, I trust.

The Lord is my shepherd
He maketh me to lie in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still water
He restoreth my soul (regeneration)

The opposite of faith is fear and doubt. The Good Shepherd calms the fears, gives reason to believe and trust.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for Thou art with me.
That is faith and trust.

Why we believe is because we have faith. God gives us faith,
Good Day, QvQ

Gods goodness to His adopted Children

Php 1:29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.

The Shepard always gather His flock.... He is the Great Shepard

Psa 23:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

For His name sake!

In Him,

Bill

• Agree
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
I am Sola Scriptura
However, I pray to the Holy Spirit, to God to guide me when I am reading.
God, the Holy Spirit is an objective reality.
On my own, by my own reason, my own choice and will, I could Believe all manner of error.
It is the faith that God has given me that I can rightly hear and understand His Word.
I have faith that God exists, that God hears and God will guide me
Faith in God is the foundation of belief. God gives us faith, then we believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Thank you very much. That is a point I have wanted to talk about.
There was a poster who said they went door to door, evangelizing and were met with polite indifference.

For His Name's Sake
Most people who have been raised in the Faith, who are mature Christians don't realize that talking to the average atheist or apathetic agnostic about the Bible, the Resurrection is like trying to explain nuclear physics to a kindergartner.
The foundation of belief is faith in God.
A person can start a discussion about God with anyone, anytime, anywhere,
Ground Zero.
We are led on the path of righteousness for His name's sake.
Soli Deo gloria: “to the glory of God alone

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am Sola Scriptura
However, I pray to the Holy Spirit, to God to guide me when I am reading.
God, the Holy Spirit is an objective reality.
On my own, by my own reason, my own choice and will, I could Believe all manner of error.
It is the faith that God has given me that I can rightly hear and understand His Word.
I have faith that God exists, that God hears and God will guide me
Faith in God is the foundation of belief. God gives us faith, then we believe.
Many non-Calvinist Protestants also claim Sola Scriptura - even the ones who speak in tongues, and watch Creflo Dollar and Bill Johnson. Paul who wrote almost half of the NT says we see through a glass darkly in 1 Corinthians 13.

Hebrews 11: 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.​

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hebrews 11: 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
The faith must be based on fact.
I can Believe in purple unicorns, but ultimately I can't have Faith in purple unicorns because purple unicorns are not going to respond when I call.
To have faith in what we believe requires an affirmative reality.
To say that a seeker merely thinks or believes or hopes that God will respond, that God is merely a belief whose existance is predicated on whether we Will believe. is to say God is equal to purple unicorns.
God is not a faucet we turn off and on at will.

• Haha
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The faith must be based on fact.
I can Believe in purple unicorns, but ultimately I can't have Faith in purple unicorns because purple unicorns are not going to respond when I call.
To have faith in what we believe requires an affirmative reality.
To say that a seeker merely thinks or believes or hopes that God will respond, that God is merely a belief whose existance is predicated on whether we Will believe. is to say God is equal to purple unicorns.
God is not a faucet we turn off and on at will.
Christian faith is based upon fact - the resurrection of Christ. I don't know why you are introducing "purple unicorns".

Most have faith in something - the subject of our faith ultimately comes down to what we listen to. For example, I witnessed someone on these boards struggling with restoring their faith after spending a lot of time on an Athiest forum.

For the most part, people become Christians because they listen to the Gospel message, are convicted by the Holy Spirit, and chose to say "Yes". Some don't say yes, like King Agrippa in Acts 26:28. God does not make any sock-puppeted yes-men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Faith is in man's reach. Romans 10:17 says that faith comes from hearing the word of God and we all can choose what we listen to. John 20:31 gives a similar message. I argue that the gift of God in Ephesians 2:8 is salvation, not faith, based not only on Romans 10:17, but also upon Ephesians 2:9 and Romans 6:23.

Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.​
John 20:31 But these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.​
Total Depravity: Calvinists believe man is too morally depraved to repent and trust.

For Calvinists who wish to promote a doctrine of Total Inability, there is good and bad news. The good news is that it really is a doctrine found in the Bible. The bad news is that it reflects the doctrine of unrepentant Israel, which doctrine, God repudiated:

Jeremiah 18:11-13: “‘So now then, speak to the men of Judah and against the inhabitants of Jerusalem saying, “Thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I am fashioning calamity against you and devising a plan against you. Oh turn back, each of you from his evil way, and reform your ways and your deeds.’” But they will say, “It’s hopeless! For we are going to follow our own plans, and each of us will act according to the stubbornness of his evil heart.” Therefore thus says the Lord, “Ask now among the nations, who ever heard the like of this? The virgin of Israel has done a most appalling thing.”’”​

God's Sheep. The Calvinist perspective is that God chooses His own sheep, that is, He seeks them and finds them, and has chosen them from eternity past.

God indeed seeks the lost, but the objection is over the notion that God makes the choice for us. Instead, we must choose God over sin. In other words, if you were to ask God to give you an “Irresistible Grace” so that you would never sin again, ever—you won’t get it. Like Peter, you will fall, and get back up again, and you must choose God over sin, every day. It’s the struggle that everyone faces. Some people don’t want to let certain things go. Others fall back into the same sins over and over, but we must get back up again. We must choose. We have to make a choice. He won’t make it for us.

Thankfully, because we have turned to God, He has given us a new nature that seeks to walk with Him and to do His will.
One example of this in the NT is where Peter promises salvation (i.e. forgiveneness of sins and receiving the Holy Spirit) to those who respond in repentance and baptism in Acts 2:36-41.
What you say is propaganda written by men who don't recognize the sinfulness they inherited from Adam's fall. If you need a new nature, it is because of the fall. But you make light of your sinful nature and think you can overcome it to choose the right path. Sinners don't desire God's will. Would you rather think of yourself as more righteous than the relative or neighbor who never comes to Christ? Is that your superior Christian attitude? People don't turn themselves to God, but they want to pat themselves on the back. It is by the grace of GOD, not man, that a sinner comes to Christ. In the end God gets the glory!

Unfortunately I can't address your post point by point at this time because I have an appointment shortly.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What you say is propaganda written by men who don't recognize the sinfulness they inherited from Adam's fall. If you need a new nature, it is because of the fall. But you make light of your sinful nature and think you can overcome it to choose the right path. Sinners don't desire God's will. Would you rather think of yourself as more righteous than the relative or neighbor who never comes to Christ? Is that your superior Christian attitude? People don't turn themselves to God, but they want to pat themselves on the back. It is by the grace of GOD, not man, that a sinner comes to Christ. In the end God gets the glory!

Unfortunately I can't address your post point by point at this time because I have an appointment shortly
You come off as unhinged like those in Acts 19:28.

Realize that 1 Timothy 2:4 shows that God desires all men be saved and come to the knowledge of the word of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You come off as unhinged like those in Acts 19:28.

Realize that 1 Timothy 2:4 shows that God desires all men be saved and come to the knowledge of the word of God.
I'm not unhinged, but you wouldn't know.

God desires all which men to be saved? Does he save all men? Why did He create hell? Why do so many sinners die without faith if everyone has it?

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Calvinism relies heavily on Total Depravity is destroyed by Jeremiah 18:11-13.
I'm not unhinged, but you wouldn't know.
That's how you come off with the hyperbole and lack of specifics (i.e. lack of critical thinking).
God desires all which men to be saved?
You would not be asking that question if you believed 1 Timothy 2:4, which I quoted earlier.
Does he save all men? Why did He create hell? Why do so many sinners die without faith if everyone has it?
Although God desires all men to be saved, salvation is conditional and based upon faith in Christ.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's how you come off with your hyperbole. lack of respect for God's word, and lack of critical thinking.

You would not be asking that question if you believed 1 Timothy 2:4, which I quoted earlier.

Although God desires all men to be saved, salvation is conditional and based upon faith in Christ.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
I believe He saves many. That's why Jesus died. Do you believe all men have eternal life?

John 3
…17For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him. 18Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19And this is the verdict: The Light has come into the world, but men loved the darkness rather than the Light because their deeds were evil

John 8
43Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you are unable to accept My message. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out his desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, refusing to uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, because he is a liar and the father of lies. 45But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me!

John 10
22At that time the Feast of Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, 23and Jesus was walking in the temple courts in Solomon’s Colonnade. 24So the Jews gathered around Him and demanded, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

25“I already told you,” Jesus replied, “but you did not believe. The works I do in My Father’s name testify on My behalf. 26But because you are not My sheep, you refuse to believe.
27My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me.

Why will Jesus separate the sheep from the goats? How many years have humans argued this matter? Is God in charge of Arminianism or Calvinism? Does the Bible say everyone will be saved? Please give us the verse.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
How do you come off?
With scripture and critical thinking.

As contrasted withPost 49 that does not identify specifics and does not reason from scripture.
I believe He saves many. That's why Jesus died. Do you believe all men have eternal life?
Receipt of Jesus's atonement is conditional - per John 3:14-15 that I have quoted to you in Post 52. It helps if you listen.
John 3
…17For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him. 18Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19And this is the verdict: The Light has come into the world, but men loved the darkness rather than the Light because their deeds were evil
Agree.
John 8
43Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you are unable to accept My message. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out his desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, refusing to uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, because he is a liar and the father of lies. 45But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me!

John 10
22At that time the Feast of Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, 23and Jesus was walking in the temple courts in Solomon’s Colonnade. 24So the Jews gathered around Him and demanded, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

25“I already told you,” Jesus replied, “but you did not believe. The works I do in My Father’s name testify on My behalf. 26But because you are not My sheep, you refuse to believe.
27My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me.
Jesus is arguing with Religious leaders who were unwilling to follow Jesus (and thus become His sheep - as sheep are followers). They would eventually crucify Him. Later in John 10, Jesus invites these enemies to become His sheep.

John 10:37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”​
Why will Jesus separate the sheep from the goats? How many years have humans argued this matter? Is God in charge of Arminianism or Calvinism? Does the Bible say everyone will be saved? Please give us the verse.
Jesus Sheep are His followers. Goats are not mentioned until the final judgement - so there is still time to turn for the living.

Analogies;
  1. Salvation is like a check that is cashed by faith. God provides everything except the faith you need to cash the Salvation check, but faith is in reach per Romans 10:17 as we all decide what we listen to. Remember, Jesus suffered and paid the ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:6 and 1 John 2:20).
  2. God desires all men to be saved like the University Dean desires all his students to succeed and graduate knowing many will not.
If faith comes from hearing, as you say, WHO gives them hearing when the word of God is spoken?
We all decide what we listen to. We are all very much a product of what we listen to.
How do you come off?
I present scripture and reasoning that refutes Calvinism - which triggers some,

In Post 49 you came in hot and do not specifically refute anything I stated. I prefer when others are specific.

Don't act so surprised as among Protestants: non-Calvinists out-number Calvinists by at least 5-to-1. And don't feel picked on as almost all internet discernment ministries (who place themselves as judge, jury, and executioner) are Calvinist.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
With scripture and critical thinking.

As contrasted withPost 49 that does not identify specifics and does not reason from scripture.

Receipt of Jesus's atonement is conditional - per John 3:14-15 that I have quoted to you in Post 52. It helps if you listen.

Agree.

Jesus is arguing with Religious leaders who were unwilling to follow Jesus (and thus become His sheep - as sheep are followers). They would eventually crucify Him. Later in John 10, Jesus invites these enemies to become His sheep.

John 10:37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”​

Jesus Sheep are His followers. Goats are not mentioned until the final judgement - so there is still time to turn for the living.

Analogies;
  1. Salvation is like a check that is cashed by faith. God provides everything except the faith you need to cash the Salvation check, but faith is in reach per Romans 10:17 as we all decide what we listen to. Remember, Jesus suffered and paid the ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:6 and 1 John 2:20).
  2. God desires all men to be saved like the University Dean desires all his students to succeed and graduate knowing many will not.

We all decide what we listen to. We are all very much a product of what we listen to.

I present scripture and reasoning that refutes Calvinism - which triggers some,

In Post 49 you came in hot and do not specifically refute anything I stated. I prefer when others are specific.

Don't act so surprised as among Protestants: non-Calvinists out-number Calvinists by at least 5-to-1. And don't feel picked on as almost all internet discernment ministries (who place themselves as judge, jury, and executioner) are Calvinist.
It's VERY late. I only read your last paragraph. I don't care what you prefer. You come off as arrogant and dare to criticize Calvinists. I've probably visited more denominations than you have. Truth isn't verified by numbers. I don't feel picked on! Your opinions are only opinions. I do a lot of Bible reading. My life focus is pleasing God.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's VERY late. I only read your last paragraph. I don't care what you prefer. You come off as arrogant and dare to criticize Calvinists. I've probably visited more denominations than you have. Truth isn't verified by numbers. I don't feel picked on! Your opinions are only opinions. I do a lot of Bible reading. My life focus is pleasing God
Good night. There is no need to continue this conversation.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism relies heavily on Total Depravity is destroyed by Jeremiah 18:11-13.

That's how you come off with the hyperbole and lack of specifics (i.e. lack of critical thinking).

Good Day, John

While I really do appreciate your attempt to represent Calvinism and do quote little snips of the institutes here now and again.

Here is the Prince of Preachers ( for your consideration and use) with a well rounded statement on the reality of Total Depravity:

"We declare on scriptural authority that the human will is so desperately set on mischief, so depraved, so inclined to everything that is evil, and so disinclined to everything that is good, that without the powerful, supernatural, irresistible influence of the Holy Spirit, no human will ever be constrained toward Christ." ~ Charles Spurgeon

In Him,

Bill

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Gr8Grace

Mar 11, 2018
South Dakota
✟75,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, John

While I really do appreciate your attempt to represent Calvinism and do quote little snips of the institutes here now and again.

Here is the Prince of Preachers ( for your consideration and use) with a well rounded statement on the reality of Total Depravity:

"We declare on scriptural authority that the human will is so desperately set on mischief, so depraved, so inclined to everything that is evil, and so disinclined to everything that is good, that without the powerful, supernatural, irresistible influence of the Holy Spirit, no human will ever be constrained toward Christ." ~ Charles Spurgeon

In Him,

Bill
IMO, Spurgeon was an intellectual giant, but never got past the babe in Christ stage.

Upvote 0