Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
We sent one of our producers to Target and they found this: gay nutcracker, complete with a rainbow hat, a trans flag. Full price, $12, but right now it’s on sale for eight. Target also sells Santa ornaments, but Target Santa is in a wheelchair and is Black. And it’s a good thing our chimney is wheelchair accessible so Jesse Jr.’s gonna get all the gifts he wants. Gay nutcracker and wheelchair Santa might be the only items in Target that don’t get looted.

"we don’t have anything against Black Santa, or disabled Santa. I think if Santa has a disability then that’s fine,” declared Watters, [briefly entertaining wokism before the reflex kicked in] “But why do you think Target is selling this type of merch? ... I think the majority of people, parents especially, they can acknowledge that gay nutcracker, Black disabled Santa has gone way too far.”

Minutes later, the Fox News host concluded the segment by throwing a disabled Santa into the audience.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
War on Christmas is much ado about very little. The Only people I have ever met who tried to openly interfere with my celebration of Christmas were Certain Conservative Christian fundamentalists, like Church of Christ, and an occasional Biblian or right wing Christian nut. Never have I ever once had any non-Christian attempt to impede in any way my celebration of Christmas, either public or private. I suspect that the War on Christmas is a mostly imaginary event, like the Satanic Panic of the 80's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Yeah, it’s one of the standard marketing campaigns at this point.

Ignore the marketers and just try to focus on the reason for the season!

1701737647339.png

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I support the non-commercialization of a Christian holiday. Santa, red&green and tinsel on your tree is Pagan. Reserving a day to revere our Lord and Savior's virgin birth is the meaning of Christ-Mass. Even if it is celebrated at the winter solstice which is a Pagan holy day anyway.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I support the non-commercialization of a Christian holiday. Santa, red&green and tinsel on your tree is Pagan.
No it is not, not a christmas tree. Those of us who celebrate Christs birth are not pagans
Reserving a day to revere our Lord and Savior's virgin birth is the meaning of Christ-Mass.
Yep, it is christian.
Even if it is celebrated at the winter solstice which is a Pagan holy day anyway.
No, since we are not pagans, the day doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No it is not, not a christmas tree. Those of us who celebrate Christs birth are not pagans

Yep, it is christian.

No, since we are not pagans, the day doesn't matter.
Do Christians think that there were no “holidays” until Christmas came along?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, why? Days and colors etc are not pagan in themselves. Neither are days. They are what they are.
You mean Thor's day, Freya's day, Tyr's day etc.?

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Most of the traditions associated with what we now call "christmas" are rooted in pagan or solstice celebrations. Christians came along, moved their savior's birthday to the winter solstice, and claimed many of those existing traditions as their own, claiming they were actually christian traditions.

Basically, christians joined a party already in progress, and tried to convince people they were the hosts. They even got some to believe it.

-- A2SG, well, Fox News says they believe it...but they've said they believed other stuff too....

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most of the traditions associated with what we now call "christmas" are rooted in pagan or solstice celebrations. Christians came along, moved their savior's birthday to the winter solstice, and claimed many of those existing traditions as their own, claiming they were actually christian traditions.

Claims of Christmas traditions being "pagan" are wildly overstated in popular media (it's certainly false to claim "most of the traditions" come from paganism). One big repeated problem is that the argument essentially goes "look at this thing that pagans supposedly did, now look at this thing in modern Christmas celebrations, that shows copying" despite the fact that a whole lot of the time, the applicable Christmas traditions were only developed long after paganism in Europe had gone extinct (I've seen people try to say that Santa's reindeers come from paganism, despite the fact Santa's reindeer first show up in the 19th century).

To avoid accusations of Christian bias, here's an article by an atheist pointing out how a whole lot of supposed pagan connections in Christmas are incorrect:

• Informative
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Claims of Christmas traditions being "pagan" are wildly overstated in popular media (it's certainly false to claim "most of the traditions" come from paganism).
Really? Which ones come directly from christianity?

Just as examples, the Roman festival of Saturnalia gave us many traditions, including decorating trees, exchanging presents, feasts, drinking and partying; the earliest version of Santa Claus can be traced back to Odin, who led a hunt through the sky, along with his 8-legged horse named Sleipnir. Kids would leave boots filled with carrots and straw for Sleipnir by their chimneys, and get presents in return. The yule log also comes from Norse tradition. Christmas carols can be traced back to the ancient Anglo-saxon tradition of wassailing (though the idea of singing songs during a celebration can be traced back to any number of pagan festivals). Mistletoe, and kissing under it, came from ancient Druid traditions. Also, it's said that if enemies met under mistletoe in the woods, they had to drop their weapons and declare a truce until the next day.

What unique traditions did christianity specifically add to the party?

One big repeated problem is that the argument essentially goes "look at this thing that pagans supposedly did, now look at this thing in modern Christmas celebrations, that shows copying" despite the fact that a whole lot of the time, the applicable Christmas traditions were only developed long after paganism in Europe had gone extinct (I've seen people try to say that Santa's reindeers come from paganism, despite the fact Santa's reindeer first show up in the 19th century).
See Sleipnir. Granted, a lot of the mythology surrounding Santa Claus came from similar legends and stories (including the Dutch Sinterklaas and St. Nicholas) and all got combined into the current legend we now know, mostly codified by Clement Moore, Thomas Nast and Coca-Cola.

To avoid accusations of Christian bias, here's an article by an atheist pointing out how a whole lot of supposed pagan connections in Christmas are incorrect:
He's entitled to his opinion, of course, but the fact that traditions like saturnalia existed before christianity, and a lot of its specific characteristics became part of what we now call christmas shows the roots of the celebration.

But hey, I never said christians weren't welcome to the party. I just think it's pretty rude to declare themselves the host, and demand everyone else follow their rules, when they didn't start the celebration.

-- A2SG, but I still wish them a very happy holiday....however they choose to celebrate it....

Upvote 0