onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by linda4jesus
Being that you're a mod here at 'Christian forum' don't you think that 'making fun' of other Christians openly is hypocritical?
I didn't see anyone "making fun" of other Christians here but if we did, I apologize.  It certainly was not the intention to make fun of people.  However, we certainly use humor to difuse a lot of the venom directed directed at Catholics at RR.
As for all people at RR hating catholics, that is not true. I'm married to a catholic....and I certainly don't hate my hubby. But I do believe that the catholic church has turned a simple message from our Lord and Savior into a very complicated religion.
If the impression was given that everyone at RR hated Catholics, then again that was inaccurate.  However, having been a member at that board for over 2 years, I can say that anger, hatred and venom have been directed at Catholics as individuals as well as at Catholicism, not only in the Apologetics Forum but all over the board.

What may seem complicated to you is not necessarily complicated to the 1 billion+ individuals that are Catholic or even others, but I understand why you would say that.  I thank you for not saying that you believe that rather than saying it is that way.

More importantly, you will find that at RR, Catholics are not considered Christian by the overwhelming majority of people there.  Their salvation is constantly and consistently questioned.  What you don't find is educated and knowledgable Catholics or former Catholics questioning the salvation of other Christians.
Originally posted by Kotton
Linda, sorry to see you gave the RR board the impression that the WHOLE freezer thread was about the debates on RR. We have mentioned it some in the last few pages mixed with other topics. Mostly it's the frustration that people don't 'really listen' to Catholics.
Agreed, Kotton.  Most Catholics here have better things to do with their time.  However from time to time, I wander into the Apologetics Forum and the hatred for Catholics (which is abundant and flaming) gets my italian up.  Another apology.  As usual, I seem to be needing to offer these up lately. :sigh:
You are welcome here. :wave: 
I second that. :)

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:sigh: I just finished posting in the Verbal Bashing thread. And in a thread where someone was promoting a quack health site. :sigh:

I don't know why people seemingly WANT to be lied to and swindled for their last cent. ;;^.^;; >_<

Well, maybe posting my newest PictureIT pic in the gallery (doing now) will take my mind off of this. Hopefully.

Oh, and one of those Dove bars would be nice ~.^

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I need a Dove Bar too.

I am really down. First we have the people who fight, and now we have the people that fight against the people that fight. There is no place of refuge here.

Man!!! This place is cold!

I think I need a hug to warm me up. :cry: My tears will freeze.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christians aren't perfect, Stormy. Just forgiven. :)

I would caution you to avoid basing your concept of anyone's spirituality based on what you read on an Internet forum. The anonymity of it can lead people to say things they'd never say face to face, and of course, we are also all still sinners-----we are still afflicted with pride, arrogance, anger, revenge, and stupidity. And we will be until we reach heaven.

How well we suppress those things and try to walk with Christ depends on how hard we want to work at them. We all know how easy it is to get involved with "the cares of this world" and Christ takes a seat in the very back of the bus, because we don't have time to be a good Christian right now. This is one of the drawbacks of our society; personally, I think there is much to be said for the medieval concept that this world is nothing more than a testing ground for the next; and the monks who withdrew from it to devote themselves to God 24/7 were really on to something, I think. :)

Above all: do not allow yourself to be influenced by less than perfect behavior you see here, from anyone, no matter who they are; and do not allow your impression of any faith system to be likewise influenced. No particular belief system can be judged, good or bad, by the behavior that is sometimes displayed by its adherents. I can be arrogant, cynical, and revengeful at times....but that doesn't mean that all Catholics are that way, nor that the Catholic Church made me that way. :)

Churches are made up of people---regular, ordinary, sinful people, struggling on their walk to God; and anything made up of people is bound to have the problems caused by people.

But if we were perfect and didn't have those problems, we probably wouldn't need the churches, now would we?
wink.gif

Hugs to you, sister, and take good comfort and good cheer. As I am fond of saying, "This is a stage, not a condition." :)

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Is it maybe better than... not to belong to a Church? I bring enough baggage of my own into my relationship with God. I do not need that of another to also bring me down. I think that this spirit of joining with others may be wrong for me. I fear that my destination is to forever remain a loner. Although this idea brings me peace it does not bring me joy.

You seem to be saying that people act differently face to face, or in Church, than they do on the Internet. But tell me now... which is their true face?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
stromy: there are those who are out to cut throats - BUT - speaking for myself, any time I stand against an error its because I care enough to want best for people. I guess I have to learn to be more tolerant of willful ignorance and misinformation. Christ will wash it all out in the end I'm sure. I just don't want to see good people washed out with the dirt and rubbish of bad teaching.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to be saying that people act differently face to face, or in Church, than they do on the Internet. But tell me now... which is their true face?
That, I'm afraid, is known only to God. :)

Ultimately, we can only be responsible for our own walk with God....while we can offer help to others, we can't be responsible for their walk. That's up to them; and God is not going to judge you by what I have done, or vice-versa. :)

In the words of the old song, "You gotta walk that lonesome valley, you gotta walk it by yourself; there ain't nobody here can walk it for you, you gotta walk it by yourself."

Catholicism is a religion uniquely suited to all temperaments, however. I realize that in our current Low Church phase, we emphasize "the community", but we also still have things like cloistered orders and Perpetual Adoration, where you're in a chapel with nobody but Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.

There are a lot of opportunities for introspection and quitness in Catholicism. You can spend a few days at a convent or a monastery, for example, on a retreat, and there are no phones, no cars, no nuttin'; you worship in the church with the religious and the rest of your time is your own. It's like another world. :)

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Wolseley
You can spend a few days at a convent or a monastery, for example, on a retreat, and there are no phones, no cars, no nuttin'; you worship in the church with the religious and the rest of your time is your own. It's like another world. :)

This is what I need NOW!!! :cry:

I am so sad. The world seems lost in a wave of sin and ignorance. I just want to get away from it all. Somewhere will I will not hear the bitter words of Christians against each other... the denial of my God from the Atheist ... and the fall of the Bombs.

We do not know that which we do. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then what you need to do is contact a monastery or convent or retreat center in your area and see if they offer any retreats. It may cost you a small fee; $150.00 for three days, maybe---but you don't have to be Catholic to go. :)

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. I am going to check into this. It sounds like a little bit of Heaven on Earth.

But I am afraid it will just be a Band-Aid on the grief that I am filling for the fall of our Earth.

War is soon. It is not yet the end. But even an end has a beginning.

I fear that only God will be able to wipe away my tears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stormy, just as we can't be responsible for other's actions or behavior, we also can't be responsible for leaders of nations making dumb moves or starting wars. I could write a letter to President Bush, asking him not to attack Iraq, and another to Saddam Hussein, asking him to resign; and yet a third to the guy in North Korea, asking him to cool his jets. But even if I did, would they listen to me? :)

The fate of the world and the nations and people in it is the responsibility of God, Stormy, not you and I. He is in control of what happens---and I am content to mind my own relationship with Him, and let Him handle the rest. He's ever so much better suited for it than I am, you see. :)

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Wolosey: I believe that God is in control... but I do not believe that he always takes control.

That is part of the reason that Atheist do not believe. Because God is not working this world like a puppet master they do not see him. They only see that which is of themselves. But God's voice, and his will, remains forever vocal to those who can hear.

God will always be here to love and advise, but it is us who must live our life. We can not blame God, nor fault him, for not taking away from us the free-will that he endowed in all people.

No, it is us, who will be pushing the buttons that will bring about our demise.

He will allow us to complete the journey of man... before he steps back into full view of all, to take from this Earth that which is his.

I can in vision all of the inhabitants of this Earth like a snow ball at the top of a mountain. At the bottom of the mountain is Hell. We are all trapped together in this ball of humanity thinking that all is cool. Now as we begin our plunge down, we become so consumed in ourselves and our desires that our sense of self increases with every roll. We are powerful and in control....

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nobody is going to hell except those who choose to go, Stormy. :) Maybe I'm not as fatalistic as your vision, but I believe that those who choose God will go with God, regardless of what happens to the world.

As for the geopolitical situation as of Jan. 11, 2003, I can only quote from Psalm 46: "Thus we do not fear, though the earth be shaken and the mountains quake to the depths of the sea." :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.