Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
hello all. this upcoming wednesday nite, my local church is going to start a class for people wishing to become members. its 4 weeks, meeting on wednesday nites for an hour. you dont have to become a member if you do take the class, but it seems most do. there is more to the process of joining after completing the class.

so my question is, i have signed up to take it, but im confused on whether or not i should continue in the process of becoming a member if i'm not saved. i would imagine that they wouldnt let the unsaved become members to begin with, but i dont know. how should i handle this? are there any questions i should be asking during the class? and if they dont allow me to join, is it ok to still goto church on sunday mornings just to hear the sermon, or would that be awkward? would you goto a church that turned you down for membership?

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
You say your not saved do Calvinist believe they are not saved?

no, but despite having calvinist beliefs, i havent been regenerated. I know this because theres no good fruit from me. Plus i have unrepentant, willful daily sinning.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
no, but despite having calvinist beliefs, i havent been regenerated. I know this because theres no good fruit from me. Plus i have unrepentant, willful daily sinning.
Well you signed up for the hour session that’s good fruit, I’d say attend it, see how it goes.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
my question is, i have signed up to take it, but im confused on whether or not i should continue in the process of becoming a member if i'm not saved

Two questions that you should ask at the first meeting.

How do I know I am a Christian?
And
Do you let non christians become church members?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hello all. this upcoming wednesday nite, my local church is going to start a class for people wishing to become members. its 4 weeks, meeting on wednesday nites for an hour. you dont have to become a member if you do take the class, but it seems most do. there is more to the process of joining after completing the class.

so my question is, i have signed up to take it, but im confused on whether or not i should continue in the process of becoming a member if i'm not saved. i would imagine that they wouldnt let the unsaved become members to begin with, but i dont know. how should i handle this? are there any questions i should be asking during the class? and if they dont allow me to join, is it ok to still goto church on sunday mornings just to hear the sermon, or would that be awkward? would you goto a church that turned you down for membership?
Absolutely not! The whole membership thing to join a congregation is wrong.And now they want you to take membership classes?? Disgraceful.
That being said.....
God knows your heart , so lets not be decietful. It's time to get to the core of your doubt! Blessings.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely not! The whole membership thing to join a congregation is wrong.And now they want you to take membership classes?? Disgraceful.
That being said.....
God knows your heart , so lets not be decietful. It's time to get to the core of your doubt! Blessings.
We are all sinners. We are saved through Baptism and continue to be saved. Trust in God's mercy.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It sounds like you want to be saved so if that’s the case then it should be fine to go ahead and become a member if you are truly seeking Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I would say to go ahead and attend the classes. There probably will be some point in the lectures during which the issue you are concerned about comes up, because it's a fairly basic one. However, it is personal with you, so making an appointment to talk to the pastor about your own feelings and doubts is quite a normal thing to do.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I recommend that you take the class, and that you raise your questions either in the group, or with the pastor privately, or both. It is common for Calvinist Christians to believe that we are saved by grace rather than by our ability to live sinless lives, and I think this is something that the pastor and other church members could usefully explore with you in conversation.

The churches (of multiple denominations) that I've been involved with welcome non-members to attend for as long as they want, even if they don't belong to that denomination or even if they haven't yet decided whether they want to commit themselves to the Christian faith.

I haven't encountered a situation where someone was turned down for membership. I suppose it might feel awkward afterwards if you were genuinely turned down. But you should know that I'd be horrified if my church turned away someone who wanted to be a Christian.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Honesty is the best policy. Most churches teach tradition of men and false doctrine. Hosea chapter 4:15. Warns us not to go to Beth Aven, it means house of emptiness.
First Corinthians chapter 3:1 to 3:9 is about apostates who broke away from the foundation of christ and formed Denominations.
The apostates are hirelings. I'm not knocking churches down. But many teach tradition of men. In proverbs chapter 5, Zur in Hebrew means = Apostates or stranger. It's hirelings in denominations. Some teach the rapture theory, its false doctrine, Ezekiel chapter 13, God hates the fly away doctrine. Some denominations teach apple is the sin in garden of eden. It's a Lie. Eve was beguiled by the serpent, who is satan, genesis chapter 3 and Corinthians chapter 11 to document.

I'm lucky I found shepherds chapel, pastor murray, in year 2000. He teaches sound doctrine.

Upvote 0