Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It took me a little while to figure out this forum but I think I've finally got it sorted. Having read through countless threads in GT I've recognised the following unofficial rules. Perhaps we could make this a sticky so newcomers know how to play ;)

THE UNOFFICIAL GT RULES
1. There are 2 teams: Catholics and Protestants. All players are to affiliate themselves with one of these teams before play commences.
1A - Orthodox Church members are to be treated as Catholics with beards, except in threads pertaining to the authority of Rome and/or the Pope (or on doctrnial matters post schism) in which case they are to assume the anti-Catholic position.
1B - To keep the forum from becoming too predictable, the occassional exhibition game will be played between Sabbitarians and the rest of the church.

2. The object of the game: is to establish that the other team is wrong. This may prove difficult at times especially when both teams are saying the same thing in different ways. This is where strategy becomes so important.

3. Winning strategies:
* Establish the oppositions perspective for them. This is of upmost importance if one is to gain the upper hand. Distortion and exaggeration are the key here. Try to find ambiguious quotes from the other sides great players from the past and use them out of context to establish that the other side really believe something other than what they are professing to believe. Getting this part right can make or break the game.
* Avoid arguing against the points the opposition raises. This will only distract from the position you've established already. Rather you should always endeavour to reestablish the other teams faulty perspective as outlined above and argue against it. This style can be referred to as: "What I think about what I think you think."
* Skilled players are able to fool the opposition into defending aspects of the faulty position that was presented for them. This helps reinforce acceptance of the distorted perspective and ensures the truth of the matter will not be discussed, further ensuring that players won't find themselves in the unfortunate position of having to argue against a position they actually agree with.
* Less skilled players need not worry. There are still plenty of strategies that will work effectively for the novice. Perhaps the most effective is the "cut and paste" method, whereby a player is to ignore all information presented to them and simply restate their position over and over again. This will infuriate and try the patience of even the most skilled opposition player and will eventually empty the thread, leaving the novice with a win through attrition.

4. Scoring:
There are several ways to score but the most effective methods are the "slam dunk distortion", "disassembly", "strawman" and "team doubles".
* A Slam Dunk Distortion is when a player is able to use the oppositions own words to reaffirm the faulty perspective they were given initially. A Super Slam Dunk is when the opposition is led into a trap of loosely outlining the faulty perspective first and then the player uses those words and adds the twisted quotes and the appropriate rebuttal all at once. This is worth double points.
* Disassembly is when a player takes the oppositions post and pulls it apart point by point. The more things they can object to, the more points they get.
* Strawman is the act of recognising a loosely supported argument by the opposition an proclaiming "Strawman" in the rebuttal. A strong strawman call is worth a lot of points.
* Team Doubles are when a player quotes a fellow team members post that has already scored and adds an "Amen" or a clapping icon to it. This allows the original post to score again.

5. Winning the game:
The game is only over when everyone stops playing. It's still unclear how the eventual winner is decided, but there are many who believe they can avoid losing by expressing a premature intent to leave and highlighting it with a parting blow. If it's already been established that they will not be around for any contention of their parting words, they have avoided outright defeat. Alternately there are other players who believe winning is only attained by having the final say altogether. This can cause some confusion as there is no official time limit between posts, so a late charge may go uncontested by a player who has already claimed victory.

I hope this helps clear things up for anyone who was unsure of how to play. :p

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Splayd said:
It took me a little while to figure out this forum but I think I've finally got it sorted. Having read through countless threads in GT I've recognised the following unofficial rules. Perhaps we could make this a sticky so newcomers know how to play ;)

THE UNOFFICIAL GT RULES
1. There are 2 teams: Catholics and Protestants. All players are to affiliate themselves with one of these teams before play commences.
1A - Orthodox Church members are to be treated as Catholics with beards, except in threads pertaining to the authority of Rome and/or the Pope (or on doctrnial matters post schism) in which case they are to assume the anti-Catholic position.
1B - To keep the forum from becoming too predictable, the occassional exhibition game will be played between Sabbitarians and the rest of the church.

2. The object of the game: is to establish that the other team is wrong. This may prove difficult at times especially when both teams are saying the same thing in different ways. This is where strategy becomes so important.

3. Winning strategies:
* Establish the oppositions perspective for them. This is of upmost importance if one is to gain the upper hand. Distortion and exaggeration are the key here. Try to find ambiguious quotes from the other sides great players from the past and use them out of context to establish that the other side really believe something other than what they are professing to believe. Getting this part right can make or break the game.
* Avoid arguing against the points the opposition raises. This will only distract from the position you've established already. Rather you should always endeavour to reestablish the other teams faulty perspective as outlined above and argue against it. This style can be referred to as: "What I think about what I think you think."
* Skilled players are able to fool the opposition into defending aspects of the faulty position that was presented for them. This helps reinforce acceptance of the distorted perspective and ensures the truth of the matter will not be discussed, further ensuring that players won't find themselves in the unfortunate position of having to argue against a position they actually agree with.
* Less skilled players need not worry. There are still plenty of strategies that will work effectively for the novice. Perhaps the most effective is the "cut and paste" method, whereby a player is to ignore all information presented to them and simply restate their position over and over again. This will infuriate and try the patience of even the most skilled opposition player and will eventually empty the thread, leaving the novice with a win through attrition.

4. Scoring:
There are several ways to score but the most effective methods are the "slam dunk distortion", "disassembly", "strawman" and "team doubles".
* A Slam Dunk Distortion is when a player is able to use the oppositions own words to reaffirm the faulty perspective they were given initially. A Super Slam Dunk is when the opposition is led into a trap of loosely outlining the faulty perspective first and then the player uses those words and adds the twisted quotes and the appropriate rebuttal all at once. This is worth double points.
* Disassembly is when a player takes the oppositions post and pulls it apart point by point. The more things they can object to, the more points they get.
* Strawman is the act of recognising a loosely supported argument by the opposition an proclaiming "Strawman" in the rebuttal. A strong strawman call is worth a lot of points.
* Team Doubles are when a player quotes a fellow team members post that has already scored and adds an "Amen" or a clapping icon to it. This allows the original post to score again.

5. Winning the game:
The game is only over when everyone stops playing. It's still unclear how the eventual winner is decided, but there are many who believe they can avoid losing by expressing a premature intent to leave and highlighting it with a parting blow. If it's already been established that they will not be around for any contention of their parting words, they have avoided outright defeat. Alternately there are other players who believe winning is only attained by having the final say altogether. This can cause some confusion as there is no official time limit between posts, so a late charge may go uncontested by a player who has already claimed victory.

:amen: (Do I get Team Doubles points?)

That about sums it up

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
hahahaha.

well done.
1087.gif

Upvote 0

winsome

English, not British
Dec 15, 2005
England
✟19,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Splayd said:

THE UNOFFICIAL GT RULES

3. Winning strategies:

4. Scoring:

5. Winning the game:

Excellent. I must keep this for reference and to quote to the referee.

Upvote 0
K

Kolya

Splayd said:

THE UNOFFICIAL GT RULES

3. Winning strategies:

4. Scoring:

5. Winning the game:

The best post I've ever seen in GT!!!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

winsome

English, not British
Dec 15, 2005
England
✟19,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would like to add that by post #7 in GT (i.e. this one) someone will post a response that takes it off topic.

This is all part of the normal life cycle of a GT thread. After this some people will try to carry on replying to the OP topic. Others will follow up the diversion.

Finally, whatever the op, it settles down into a clear Catholics versus Protestants on the topics of:
"praying to the dead"
"worshipping mary"
"vain repetition" (catholic prayers)
"once saved always saved"
"Catholics added 7 books to the Bible"
"Protestants removed 7 books from the Bible"
"Sola scriptura"
"Sola fides"

In order to follow the life cycle, while some go back to the OP, can others keep it off topic by adding to the above list.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CaDan said:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Splayd again."

Would some kind members hit Splayd's rep button about one million times, please?
I am up to 174,327, but all I keep getting back after the first time is the same message you got. Sorry.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, Splayd . . . .

If you followed cycling, you would know that many games can be played at once. Over the course of one of the Grand Tours (Giro d'Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta de' Espana), there are many races within each race. The most familiar is the General Classification--the overall leader, but there are others, including the Points Classification, the King of the Mountains, and the individual stage wins.

So, I present for your consideration some of the games within the game:

"Points Classification" (Green Jersey)--Whoever can make the most unrefuted "points" and refer back to them. Example: "You never responded to my point in post 216 about Calvin's preference for Kung Pao Chicken."

"King of the Mountains" (Polka Dot Jersey)--Whoever can cut and paste the greatest mountain of material into the thread.

"Stage Win" (No Jersey, but a trophy at the end)--Whoever gets the last post in before Staff closes the thread gets the stage win.

"Best Young Poster" (White Jersey)--Any poster with less than 100 posts on CF who can keep up with a thread to the end is entered into this competition.

"General Classification" (Yellow Jersey)--That would be the CF Rep system.​

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CaDan said:
Ah, Splayd . . . .

If you followed cycling, you would know that many games can be played at once. Over the course of one of the Grand Tours (Giro d'Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta de' Espana), there are many races within each race. The most familiar is the General Classification--the overall leader, but there are others, including the Points Classification, the King of the Mountains, and the individual stage wins.

So, I present for your consideration some of the games within the game:

"Points Classification" (Green Jersey)--Whoever can make the most unrefuted "points" and refer back to them. Example: "You never responded to my point in post 216 about Calvin's preference for Kung Pao Chicken."

"King of the Mountains" (Polka Dot Jersey)--Whoever can cut and paste the greatest mountain of material into the thread.

"Stage Win" (No Jersey, but a trophy at the end)--Whoever gets the last post in before Staff closes the thread gets the stage win.

"Best Young Poster" (White Jersey)--Any poster with less than 100 posts on CF who can keep up with a thread to the end is entered into this competition.

"General Classification" (Yellow Jersey)--That would be the CF Rep system.
You forgot:

"Forum Debutant" (Black Jersey): Poster who is given a temporary reprive from posting in General Theology as a result of their repetitive violation of the GT Rules of Engagement.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scott_LaFrance said:
You forgot:

"Forum Debutant" (Black Jersey): Poster who is given a temporary reprive from posting in General Theology as a result of their repetitive violation of the GT Rules of Engagement.

We don't talk about the GT doping scandals (but I hear a group of posters was rumored to have been seen actually praying last week, in clear violation of the Rules)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tonks said:
Care to share? I'm sure that the Inquisitor General will be harsh, but fair.
You know as well as I that the position to which you refer is now known as the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Scott_LaFrance said:
You know as well as I that the position to which you refer is now known as the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

Anathemas should be attached to such concessions to modernity. :sigh:

Upvote 0