The universe at the end of this sentence.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm looking for a specific word in Genesis 1 that answers your question.

Can you tell me what it is?

No nothing in Genesis explains HOW it happened, unless you like a super simplified explanation (I don't)
Genesis doesn't explain Star Formation
Genesis doesn't explain cellular mitosis
Genesis doesn't explain atomic theory
Genesis doesn't explain germ theory.
Genesis doesn't explain quite a bit.
Genesis explains Who.
And How for people that don't care to look at how it works.
I'm one of these people that love to take things apart to know HOW it works, I'm not satisfied with Hit the power button and it works. I like to know what's going on behind that curtain.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Science absolutely discounts God. As you say, science can't test for God, therefore He is not a considered factor in science.

Seriously, you don't know this? :confused:

Science can't Test for God. If God allowed them self to be Scientifically tested then Science would test for God.
But given that we can't create "Test A:" & "Test B" where Test "A" had God & Test "B" Doesn't have God, we Can't Test for what God does or doesn't do.

The bible states that God formed us in our mother's womb

Psalm 139:13-14
13 For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[a] Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.

Yet we have a good(not full) understanding of what happens from insemination to birth.

in none of that understanding can we see / test for God's involvement, yet the Bible states that he does it.

Upvote 0

Selmak

Held in trust
Aug 8, 2008
✟102,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Science can't Test for God. If God allowed them self to be Scientifically tested then Science would test for God.
But given that we can't create "Test A:" & "Test B" where Test "A" had God & Test "B" Doesn't have God, we Can't Test for what God does or doesn't do.

The bible states that God formed us in our mother's womb

Psalm 139:13-14
13 For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[a] Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.

Yet we have a good(not full) understanding of what happens from insemination to birth.

in none of that understanding can we see / test for God's involvement, yet the Bible states that he does it.

I do believe that's what I said. :doh:

Brain hurts suddenly, catch you tomorrow. Now where did I leave the codeine pills? :sigh:

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
What does it say in Genesis 1 how it happened?

Who cares? Genesis 1 is etiological myth -- anyone who mistakes it for concrete fact is doing nothing but parroting the same mistakes the Church has been making since the middle ages when they lost their way.

Upvote 0

DontTreadOnMike

Eddaic Literalist
Jan 28, 2010
✟16,936.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, I'll give it a second look:
The problem with thus number expansion analogy is that it begins with zero (0). The last time I checked zero of anything meant nothing at all. In the analogy every number could be multiplied except the zero. This is because nothing cannot be multiplied.

So according to this number analogy: In the beginning nothing went bang. Which makes zero sense to me.

I think you're a victim of the metaphor. That is, you're focusing too much on the number line. It's just an example. And anyway, the number line wasn't supposed to be an example of the timeline of the universe but the physical size and shape (or lack thereof)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So then you DO believe God created the universe?
Yep, I just like trying to figure out How it happened.
I'm looking for a specific word in Genesis 1 that answers your question.

Can you tell me what it is?
No nothing in Genesis explains HOW it happened, unless you like a super simplified explanation (I don't)
Genesis explains Who.
And How for people that don't care to look at how it works.
I'm one of these people that love to take things apart to know HOW it works, I'm not satisfied with Hit the power button and it works. I like to know what's going on behind that curtain.
So all the above was embedded into your innocent statement?

(And done after-the-fact, I might add.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

One would think that you'd care enough to do something about it.

That's not the point though, is it, literature professor?

Actually, that's precisely the point -- it's just that you and most of the rest of the Church have been missing the point for close to a millenium.

Genesis 1 doesn't have to be true for someone to answer my simple question.

but because Gen 1 isn't literally "true," there no answer to the bigger questino to be found in it.

It's a matter of reading comprehension; isn't it?

perhaps -- but you've been failing at that every time you bring up Gen 1 in response to these sort of questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Science can't Test for God.

Physical science cannot test for God. But it can provide secondary evidence. An eye and seismograph cannot test for DNA but we highlight "geology," not just "science." If your referring to physical science as science it is worth noting that science is only a branch of science.

Upvote 0

Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Neither does biology.
Astronomy doesnt.
Pick up your seismograph, refuted.
Neither does Electrical engineering.
This doesnt make the theories of other fields valid. Notice how you jumped from one field to the other whereas methodological visiblism, earthism and naturalism would stunt transition.

Genesis explains Who.
Genesis and theology as a whole explains how. To add, how Jesus fed 5000 is not in the realm of physical science either. No, the stones did not evolve to fish via random variation.
I'm one of these people that love to take things apart to know HOW it works,
Traversing through different fields.
I'm not satisfied with Hit the power button and it works. I like to know what's going on behind that curtain.
Employing the appropriate field.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Genesis and theology as a whole explains how.

No, it only explains who.

To add, how Jesus fed 5000 is not in the realm of physical science either.

To add, that didn't literally happen -- and it pains me to see how badly religion has failed in its mission to see people who insist it did.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We've looked at the universe and come up with a working idea.
A working idea for Lucasfilm

Lucasfilm-brings-the-6-films-of-the-Star-Wars-Saga-to-Blu-ray.jpg

...or a 96% blank check.

darkenergy_pie.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think you're a victim of the metaphor. That is, you're focusing too much on the number line. It's just an example. And anyway, the number line wasn't supposed to be an example of the timeline of the universe but the physical size and shape (or lack thereof
Got it.
think_smiley_06.gif

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you're a victim of the metaphor. That is, you're focusing too much on the number line. It's just an example. And anyway, the number line wasn't supposed to be an example of the timeline of the universe but the physical size and shape (or lack thereof)

It's funny that I've been saying that that's exactly what's wrong with religious thinking -- the need to literalize everything they read has cost them their ability to recognize, let alone understand, metaphor.

And without metaphor, religion is nonsense.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I SAID HI NATHAN.
Hello -- :wave:
And with metaphor, religion is frighteningly variable in its interpretation. (Frightening to literalists, anyway.)
The only time you guys wax literal is to tell us we should be "burning witches" (which isn't even in the Bible), or should be marching off to liberate Jerusalem of the infidels (which was done in spite of the Bible, not in respect to It), or putting heretics on trial (which was done by a splinter group -- so much so, that the name of this group carried a specific name of a specific country -- the Spanish Inquisition).

Upvote 0