United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally posted by Neo

The Trinity doctrine says that they are all the same being.
It was made up by the church during the 3rd century in an attempt to explain how Jesus and God his Father could both be divine at the same time, and yet there only be one God. They wanted to eliminate the idea of tritheism. Before this doctrine was created, there was no 'official' view of God.

The Trinity says that The 3 are 1, yet the 3 are also seperate. It defies our logic as created beings, yet that is what the Bible teaches.

It wasn't made up in the 3rd century either, here are some dates and scholars who taught it prior...you are listening to a myth:

(AD 96) – Clement, the third Bishop of Rome
(AD 90-100) The Teachings of the Twelve Apostles, the “Didache”
(AD 90?) Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch
(AD 155) Justin Martyr, great Christian writer
(AD 168) Theophilus, the sixth Bishop of Antioch
(AD 177) Athenagoras, theologian
(AD 180) Irenaeus, bishop of Lyons

There are plenty more than these prior to the 3rd Century. You haven't even grasped it yet, the Trinity is not a tritheistic belief...it's monotheistic.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by SCJ

The Trinity says that The 3 are 1, yet the 3 are also seperate. It defies our logic as created beings, yet that is what the Bible teaches.

If they were seperate, that would be tritheism.

It wasn't made up in the 3rd century either, here are some dates and scholars who taught it prior...you are listening to a myth:

(AD 96) – Clement, the third Bishop of Rome
(AD 90-100) The Teachings of the Twelve Apostles, the “Didache”
(AD 90?) Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch
(AD 155) Justin Martyr, great Christian writer
(AD 168) Theophilus, the sixth Bishop of Antioch
(AD 177) Athenagoras, theologian
(AD 180) Irenaeus, bishop of Lyons

There are plenty more than these prior to the 3rd Century. You haven't even grasped it yet, the Trinity is not a tritheistic belief...it's monotheistic.
It was taught by some people before the 3rd century, but it didn't become the 'official' Christian doctrine until the 3rd century.

Upvote 0

SCJ

Veteran
Supporter
Apr 25, 2002
Middle Georgia
✟29,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally posted by Neo
If they were seperate, that would be tritheism.

Stop conveniently ignoring the rest of my sentences, you take things out of context constantly to suit you. I said the 3 are 1 and the 3 are individual and that it is something that we as created being can't fathom. There is only one God in three persons...if God were a created being this would not be possible, but He isn't a created being.

It was taught by some people before the 3rd century, but it didn't become the 'official' Christian doctrine until the 3rd century.

That's very different from what you said:

By Neo:
It was made up by the church during the 3rd century in an attempt to explain how Jesus and God his Father could both be divine at the same time, and yet there only be one God. They wanted to eliminate the idea of tritheism. Before this doctrine was created, there was no 'official' view of God.

Notice I posted your whole paragraph, stop taking snippets of mine and using them for something other than what their meaning was originally.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by SCJ

Stop conveniently ignoring the rest of my sentences, you take things out of context constantly to suit you. I said the 3 are 1 and the 3 are individual and that it is something that we as created being can't fathom. There is only one God in three persons...if God were a created being this would not be possible, but He isn't a created being.
If humans were incapable of comprehending the Trinity doctrine, they wouldn't have been able to create it, but they did. God is either one being, or 3 separate beings, he/it/they can't be both at the same time.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"If humans were incapable of comprehending the Trinity doctrine, they wouldn't have been able to create it, but they did. "

*chuckles* we can't comprehend infinity, but we "created" that too. No, certain things we can describe somewhat, but not always fully comprehend. Your statement here is faulty.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
God is three persons in one nature, Neo. Each person fully possesses the Divine Nature. This infinite nature cannot be divided, nor possessed only in part. You cannot talk about the infinite nature of God in direct parallel to our finite existence. We can only grasp parts of it in this life.

Neal

Upvote 0
Originally posted by LouisBooth
"If humans were incapable of comprehending the Trinity doctrine, they wouldn't have been able to create it, but they did. "

*chuckles* we can't comprehend infinity, but we "created" that too. No, certain things we can describe somewhat, but not always fully comprehend. Your statement here is faulty.
You may not be able to comprehend infinity, but I can, and so can many other people. ;)

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"You may not be able to comprehend infinity, but I can, and so can many other people. "

*chuckles* okay, then think of the biggest number you can and add one...now describe infinity to me and we can go from there. If you're going to say anything to do with everlasting or something of that nature, you're using the word to describe itself. So give me your best shot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jesus' own will was separate from the will of God, but Jesus was able to abandon his own will, and remain obedient to Gods will unto death, and that is what made him divine. Jesus set an example for others to follow.

Here is an example of Jesus' will conflicting with the will of God:

Matthew 26:39
Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

If Jesus was not a man, and he was actually God, there would be no example for others to follow, and there would be nothing significant about what he did.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Neo, to fully comprehend infinity, which is what we are talking about, it would take an infinite amount of energy to process the thought, as well as an infinite amount of time, of which we have neither. The full nature of infinity, I am afraid, will have to remain a mystery.

Neal

Upvote 0
"You may not be able to comprehend infinity, but I can, and so can many other people. "

*chuckles* okay, then think of the biggest number you can and add one...

This is why you're having trouble comprehending infinity, you keep trying to put limits on things, a beginning and an end. Infinity has no beginning or end. There is no 'biggest number'.

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Erwin
This thread has been moved and is now in the Christians-only area (under the Theology section) - will non-Christians please refrain from posting in this thread. Thank you for respecting our rules. :)

Erwin,

With all due respects, what Christians are you referring to?

The Bible teaches that DISCIPLES of Christ were first CALLED "Christians" in Antioch (Acts 11:26).

The Bible likwise teaches that DISCIPLES of Christ are those who BELIEVE in Jesus and ABIDE in his WORD (John 8:31).

Thus, Biblically, a TRUE Christian is a DISCIPLE of Christ and a DISCIPLE of Christ is one who BELIEVES in Jesus AND ABIDES in his WORD or STAYS in his teaching.

Jesus TEACHES that he is a MAN (John 8:40) and the FATHER/color] is the ONLY true God (John 17:3).

Do I gather then that this forum is ONLY for those who BELIEVE in Jesus and ABIDE in his teaching that he is a MAN and the FATHER is the ONLY true God?

Ed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
"Infinity has no beginning or end. "

okay, then how do you describe it in whole then? Can you please do so and not skirt around the quesiton? ;)
Infinity is that which has no beginning, or end... it has no limits, no boundaries. When you think of infinity, stop trying to search for a boundary, because it does not exist.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
So you admit that you, like us, only have a very vague understanding of the infinite, that we cannot understand it fully, nor totally grasp it?

Louis's comment was that no one could fully comprehend infinity, to which you replied that you and many others could comprehend infinity. Like I said before, full comprehension of infinity is impossible. Don't you agree?

Neal

Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Originally posted by edpobre

Erwin,

With all due respects, what Christians are you referring to?

Hi,

The definition of a Christian we use is according to the Nicene Creed as set out in our Forum Rules - Rule No. 6.

· Rule No. 6 - "Christians Only" Forums

6) Some forums on this website are provided for Christian discussion only as indicated in the Category Title. Definition of a "Christian" is according to the Nicene Creed listed below:

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, light from light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary
and became truly human.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],
who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one holy [universal] and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

I hope that is clear for all members. This obviously only applies to Christians-only Forum Categories.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by isshinwhat
So you admit that you, like us, only have a very vague understanding of the infinite, that we cannot understand it fully, nor totally grasp it?

Louis's comment was that no one could fully comprehend infinity, to which you replied that you and many others could comprehend infinity. Like I said before, full comprehension of infinity is impossible. Don't you agree?

Neal
No, I do not agree. I have fully comprehended infinity. It is easy to do, if you stop trying to put limits on everything.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.