• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The trinity is foundational, not an option

Discussion in 'Christian History' started by Marieke589, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Well-Known Member

+1,615
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't understand how Jesus was begotten by God the Father as a human. God doesn't beget humans, he creates them...

2. cafefan374

cafefan374 Moderate Centrist

+15
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Trinitarian here but I respect those who have the perspective based on the book of Acts as well.

3. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+690
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Humm don't see that. I am not the greatest writer. Feel free to rewrite it if its worded incorrectly.

4. Maria Billingsley

+690
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Is this really a word?

5. StephenDiscipleofYHWH

StephenDiscipleofYHWH Well-Known Member

+297
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    Yes, it is Church language to describe the nature of Godliness. Just like the Catholic Church made up the term transubstantiation to describe something concerning God's word/God(not endorsing this belief of theirs just giving an example). The Catholics made up a word to describe something, the oneness Pentecostals use the word manifestation and put a Tri in front of it to indicate that it was a three fold manifestation that occurs simultaneously.

If one Church can make up words to describe something, why can't another? At least with Trimanifestation its pretty clear what it's talking about.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. Maria Billingsley

+690
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Where?

7. Jason0047

Jason0047 Give in secret & you will be rewarded openly. Supporter

+4,512
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That is quite a work around they invented. I would say it is rather clever (although it is still wrong). A person cannot be forgiven if they speak bad words against the Holy Ghost and yet a person can be forgiven if they speak bad words against the Son. So if God manifests simultaneously in three forms why does speaking against the name of one particular manifestation lead to never being forgiven? It makes no sense.

8. ewq1938

ewq1938 Chewbacca kree! Supporter

+3,832
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    But he did begat one human...he is God and thus this is of course not difficult for him to accomplish.

9. gordonhooker

gordonhooker Franciscan tssf Supporter

+1,038
    Anglican
    Married
    Sorry to butt into your conversation but I thought I might be able to add something that helps me make sense of it all.

God (The Godhead) is one essence in three persons (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), this is basic early Church Fathers description of the The Holy Trinity.

I found this pic which I pinched off the internet helps to make a little sense of it all...

trinity-wallpaper-16.png

blessings, Gordon

10. gordonhooker

+1,038
    Anglican
    Married
    count me in...

11. StephenDiscipleofYHWH

StephenDiscipleofYHWH Well-Known Member

+297
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    I'm not an expert on what they believe, but based on what I know(and if any have studied more on their beliefs I would be happy for the correction if I am wrong) since it is a different manifestation/mode it is different from blaspheming the Son or the Father because it is a different mode/form. Again it would be better for you to seek out one of them and ask them what they believe, I am no expert I only really know the basics of their beliefs.

12. Jonaitis

+1,615
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    He beget a man? Eh, I don't agree with that premise; not only does that not make sense in the realm of reality, but to be consistent leads to many theological problems. God's Son took on human flesh (body and soul), joining the two natures, but there was never a time he was not begotten.

People hate creeds, but they greatly protect the Church from adopting strange views.

13. gordonhooker

+1,038
    Anglican
    Married
    As a Christian one of the tenets of the Doctrine of the Trinity and the arianism heresy denies the Doctrine of Trinity. So, if one denies the Doctrine of Trinity then one denies a core Christian doctrine.

The following link provides a reasonable description of the arianism heresy:

Arianism | Christianity

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. The Righterzpen

The Righterzpen Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm

+394
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed

You have presented here a very good, rather easy to understand description of what the Trinity is and what it's not.

I had to go look up John 14:10 & 17:21 in the Greek to see if I could get a better sense of what it means. I found the word "in" has different applications.

Here's my theory of what would seem reasonable to me that it would mean.

i picture a circle which represents the essence of God's character and maybe even attributes. God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, having no beginning and no end, even "immortal" except in the course of this current universe when the Son took on a human nature. Obviously Jesus's humanity was "killable".

The persons of the Trinity are in that circle of what it represents to be Divine. When Jesus talks about being "in" the Father and the Father "in" him. I don't think that's talking about one being (entity) inside another being; as we associate the Holy Ghost indwelling a believer. I don't see there'd be a practical reason for God to be "inside Himself" in that matter. The notion is silly; for if all 3 persons are wholly God, such arrangement would not be necessary.

It seems more reasonable to me that They are united in the intent, purpose and nature of Divinity; all of the same "substance" (how ever it is we would define what "substance" God is "made out of".)

If that makes sense?

Jesus never says the Spirit is "in him". Yet the Spirit didn't have to be "in" Jesus because Jesus had his own Divine nature (literally) "in" him. What's missing from the equation is that Jesus never talks about the Spirit being "in" the Father or vice versa. So, I'm not exactly sure what that means; but it seems to me this could have something to do with Jesus's humanity.

So that is my "working idea" so to speak and I'd be interested in hearing your feed back about it; as well as your thoughts about imagery we get from the Bible concerning the Father sitting on the throne. The lamb that was slain stands before Him to open the scrolls. The son sits down at the right hand of God the Father. etc.

I acknowledge that the use of this imagery very well may be conveying something to us in a form we can understand, because our only context to be able to relate to, is of our experience of existing in a material world. I've heard people say the "ancient of days" sitting on the throne is Christ; but I'm not inclined to think that is accurate either.

The thing I find intriguing in this imagery is the Father depicted as an entity with a body. Obviously the Father (materially speaking) does not have a body. Yet God as an entity consists of "something". He's obviously "real"; even if the only way we are capable of grasping that realness is through pictorial "allegory" presented in material format.

Does any of that make sense?

The other pondering "floating around" in my head; has to do with the fact that Jesus was the only person of the Godhead to exist in a material form. And thus the necessity for an incorruptible material universe to eventually be created. It is a manifestation of God's expression of creativity.

What happens when an eternally existent entity decides to... make things! LOL

15. ewq1938

+3,832
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

That's what the bible says.

Heb_5:5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.

16. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Well-Known Member

+2,054
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    @New Birth CF is based on trinitarian teachings.

17. Jonaitis

+1,615
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    The same passage is used to defend eternal generation, if you didn't know that.

It is understood that "today" isn't referring to a specific time, but that eternity. The passage is taken from Psalm 2:7.

18. ewq1938

+3,832
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    All I am proving is God the Father did begat someone, his Son Jesus Christ.

19. Jonaitis

+1,615
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    But I think the disagreement is that you see him as God's son by natural procreation, which I don't know how that works (and I am afraid to know the possibilities).

20. ewq1938

+3,832
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

I never said anything of the sort. The Holy Spirit conceiving a child in Mary is hardly "natural procreation".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.