United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am a Messianic Jew.

That means I do not believe the Torah is abrogated, and I live by its laws to the degree that I can. This includes:
  1. The moral laws
  2. The ceremonial laws
  3. The purity laws
  4. The calendar laws
  5. The command for a tabernacle, including the permanent place of worship (temple)
  6. Any other part of the Torah that I have forgotten to list

In other words, the ENTIRE Torah. "For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Matthew 5:18 In other words, until Messiah has passed judgment on the living and the dead, not even a single brushstroke has been abrogated.

Without naming any names, I have to say that lately I've been feeling sort of alone in this.

If you believe in the WHOLE Torah, give me a holler.
I believe YHVH'S Torah is absolutely to be obeyed to the extent that we're able to in this day and age. However, I also believe that all who put their faith in Yeshua will be saved to eternal life regardless of whether they understand the importance of Torah obedience.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
I believe YHVH'S Torah is absolutely to be obeyed to the extent that we're able to in this day and age. However, I also believe that all who put their faith in Yeshua will be saved to eternal life regardless of whether they understand the importance of Torah obedience.
Maybe the Torah is what makes the difference between elders and the multitude.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachel Rachel
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am a Messianic Jew.

That means I do not believe the Torah is abrogated, and I live by its laws to the degree that I can. This includes:
  1. The moral laws
  2. The ceremonial laws
  3. The purity laws
  4. The calendar laws
  5. The command for a tabernacle, including the permanent place of worship (temple)
  6. Any other part of the Torah that I have forgotten to list

In other words, the ENTIRE Torah. "For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Matthew 5:18 In other words, until Messiah has passed judgment on the living and the dead, not even a single brushstroke has been abrogated.

Without naming any names, I have to say that lately I've been feeling sort of alone in this.

If you believe in the WHOLE Torah, give me a holler.

Amen. Eternal instructions for how to express God's eternal righteousness can't be ended without first ending God's eternal righteousness. However, the Bible doesn't use the category of ceremonial laws. Furthermore, it doesn't distinguish between moral and non-moral laws. If there were non-moral laws, then there would be some examples where disobedience to God was considered to be moral, but there are no such examples. Rather, disobedience to any of God's laws is always sinful and immoral.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In so far as following the Torah as matter of good practice in life, and in so far as the Torah is about Christ Jesus, I agree with you. Christ fulfilled the Law in himself so certainly we can gain guidance as to how best to imitate Him with a good understanding of Torah.

I enjoy reading guidance on this sort of thing from Aish.com, and it is remarkable to me how often the guidance of Orthodox Jewish Rabbis brings enlightenment and points to our Lord, even as though this is not the intention of these guys, rather they aim to point us towards the Torah.

The Torah is all about Christ and how to have a relationship with him based on faith and love. Jesus fulfilled the Law by causing God's will as made known in the Law to be obeyed as it should be. On one hand, it seems amazing how many teachings within Judaism could pass as Christian teachings and bring much depth and insight to the Bible. On the hand had, Jesus, all of his disciples, and all of the authors of the NT were Jews who practiced Judaism, so that shouldn't really come as a surprise.

To follow the Torah as a matter of Law, however puts our salvation at risk.

Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4), so being trained by grace to obey the Torah as a matter of Law is what our salvation forming living in disobedience to the Torah looks like. In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly and sinful, which is essentially what the Torah was given to instruct us how to do. Furthermore, it says that Christ gave himself to redeem us from all Lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works. The Torah is God's instructions for equipping us to do every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17), so if we believe in Christ, then that should cause us to become zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Torah (Acts 21:20) and should not cause us to return to the Lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from. So if anything, it is disobedience to the Torah that would put someone's salvation at risk.

Upvote 0