Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am curious, Father, where you find the logistics of this, i.e. that first Hades and then, after the Resurrection, hell? Is it in the Scriptures or the writings of the saints or where?

Revelation. hades is the realm of the dead, which is prior to the general Resurrection.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Revelation. hades is the realm of the dead, which is prior to the general Resurrection.

?????? Hoookay. Trying to get my mind around this and be sure I understand you. Revelation as in the Book of Revelation. Or private revelation.

I kinda thought that Orthodoxy teaches that Christ went down into Hades and emptied it out after His death on the Cross. You know, that whole "Harrowing of Hell" thing." Did I miss something?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I generally understand an aspect of the Lord’s descent into hades is that those there had the ultimate truth of right & wrong preached to them in light of the pending general resurrection. In a sense, I believe, this echoes to the present for the departed but judgment is now more immediately clear.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
?????? Hoookay. Trying to get my mind around this and be sure I understand you. Revelation as in the Book of Revelation. Or private revelation.

I kinda thought that Orthodoxy teaches that Christ went down into Hades and emptied it out after His death on the Cross. You know, that whole "Harrowing of Hell" thing." Did I miss something?

I meant the book of Revelation. and yes, while Christ did set every captive free and emptied hades, not every captive necessarily wants the freedom He gives.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0