• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The time to quit!

Allan McDougall

Oct 6, 2012
Guelph Ont. Can.
✟15,251.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hello smokers and ex-smokers;
My name is Allan and I am an addicted tobacco smoker.
I started smoking at the age of 10 and currently I am age 70. In 60 years I do not recall going 3 days in a row without a smoke. For the last 10 years I have not smoked in house, car, etc. but only outside. I still smoke a pack per day (25).
I suffer from pulmenary artery claudification and my doctor says I need to quit 100% before I have stroke or annurism. Every night I go to bed thinking mabey tomorrow I will quit but when morning comes the first thing I do is get into coffee and cigs.
If anyone out there can relate to this story I would be very grateful for advice and prayers.
Thank you for replies
Allan

Oct 1, 2012
✟8,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Allan:wave:
I am a newbie here, I started smoking when I was 17 and I am 37 now, and during my peak time I used to do about 90-95 cigarettes a day, but now I am down to about 40. I am not good at praying, but how about we try to quit together? We'll make some sort of bet about who'll give up first? I'll be honest and tell upfront if I end up smoking, and you do the same, and maybe we'll be able to quit together?
Oh I do the same thing sir, first thing in the morning I have to have my coffee and cigs, and I drink quite a bit too which makes it worse. Are you game sir? Shall we make a bet on who will smoke again first and lose? I do have to tell you, I like all forms of tobacco so I was thinking of taking some snuff for the first few days to get over the craving for ciggies. If you are game, we'll make up some rules and try to kick the habit together sir. If this isnt the kind of reply you envisaged, I humbly request you to accept my apologies.

Upvote 0

Allan McDougall

Oct 6, 2012
Guelph Ont. Can.
✟15,251.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the instant reply maltecorsair;
Indeed you have given a great idea here and I will be honest with you as well. I prefer if we set a quit day say November 1 2012. This will allow us to communicate and set other rules. Also we can look forward to helping each other build a happy and healthy friendship that can indeed help us both. What do you think?
Sincerely
Allan

Upvote 0
C

crimsonleaf

Allan

I strongly recommend that you try an e-cig, or electronic cigarette. The best commercially available in my opinion is the Nicolite, and in England we buy them in Tesco stores so I guess in the US they're readily available. Check out Electronic Cigarettes, E-cigarette, Electric Cigarette | Nicolites.

I quite a 20 a day habit overnight, as the e-cig contains nicotine, produces "smoke" which in reality is an almost odourless water/propylene glycol mix, and satisfies all of the hand/mouth obsessions we smokers have. I'm at about 3 months so far with no relapse, and I've moved onto other forms of "vaping" (as opposed to "smoking").

Having said that, I could easily quit vaping now, but as I've cut the nicotine content to very low, and could go to zero, it's doing me no harm and I enjoy it. Try it and get back to us. It's a life extender.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2012
✟8,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yooohooo Allan :)
OK, Nov 1 and we are both gonna strive to kick the habit right? I would love to call you a friend sir, and yes, we can make up the rules and sort of fight the addiction together with a spirit of competition. If you prefer to set the quitting date before Nov 1 that's ok with me, but if you need time to mentally perpare for the battle ahead, well, that's perfectly ok sir! You being older and wiser, feel free to frame the rules and I'll reply on which ones I think need modification. Let's do it together sir, and may I say that I would indeed be honoured to call you a friend. (You sir, I believe, can teach me so many things, thats an added benefit to me hehehe).

Upvote 0

Allan McDougall

Oct 6, 2012
Guelph Ont. Can.
✟15,251.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
o.k. maltecorsair; From here on in we are not smoking friend but trying to quit friend until Nov. 1 2012. Here is some rule for myself starting tomorrow morning that you may like or may not. You do if you like and do not do if you do not like.

1.I will not smoke even 1 cig until I brush my teeth and eat breakfast and brush my teeth again after breakfast.

2When I need cig. I will look on this page first to see how you are doing. Remember I do this before smoke. Sometimes instead of having smoke I write to you here first to tell you.

3. I will try as hard as I can to say no to that first smoke and enjoy my fresh taste in mouth and feeling better already than this time yesterday.

4.If I light up due to extreme nicotine addiction that is ok. Tomorrow I do the same rules as today.
God be us us both as we move our lives in right direction
Allan

Upvote 0

Allan McDougall

Oct 6, 2012
Guelph Ont. Can.
✟15,251.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Good morning maltecorsair;
Well here I am on first morning of trying to quit. I slept an extra 2 hours this morning longer than normal and to me that represents about 3 cigs less then normal already.

As my first rule suggested I got up and first thing I did was brush teeth. This felt good until I made coffee and it tasted very odd indeed. I was up 30 min. and lit up cig. bypassing my next rule. Oh well success is built on failing they say. LOL

I lit another smoke by passing my next rule so I have 2 smokes and no breakfast. and I have been up 1-1/2 hours so now I am only 1 smoke less than normal.

Better days ahead but it is great to at least being aware of smoking habit and I look forward to hearing from you.
Allan

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2012
✟8,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Allan, sir, call me matt. My real name is Aby mathew philip, Aby is short for Abraham. It is now nearly midnight for me, I didnt see your post until now, sorry, I will check earlier tomorrow.
Oh gawd, you are a tough customer youknow? :) You already started cutting down! OK, I wont smoke either until I brush my teeth and have breakfast. It's gonna be harder for me because I usually just smoke instead of having brekkie.
Hmmm, I suppose coffee would taste odd when you havent had any ciggies. You did not fail sir, you did cut down atleast the ciggie before coffee. *Gives you a high five*
Now now, why havent you had brekkie yet? And sir, one smoke less than normal is good, you are indeed doing good.
Today, 10th oct, I smoked almost 30 cigs and it is near midnight for me now, and I want to beat you at our competition hehehe. Am I allowed to use some snuff to satisfy the nicotine craving sir? Or is that a no-no??
(I did have some wine)

Upvote 0

Allan McDougall

Oct 6, 2012
Guelph Ont. Can.
✟15,251.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hey Matt; I just stop by to see how you make out so far. If you take snuff that is ok but you should really count it as a smoke because it is full of nicotene. I personally have never had any success with substitute cigs, accupuncture, hypnosis, (you name it I tried it). Another friend has suggested e-cigs that are vapor but I am not sure this for me. I will wait until I am ready to go to nut house LOL before trying. It is 3 pm. here and I am down 5 smokes from yesterday and really not so much a problem as not taking that first one. That is the one we both need to fight the hardest. THE FIRST IS THE WORST! I will be away until Monday and do not have p.c. where we go so I will talk when home again.
Keep breathing fresh air!
Allan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 1, 2012
✟8,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi sir :)
Yes you are right sir, I need to stop the snuff thing too. Today I smoked 36 ciggies. Yesterday night I got a bit crazy and did a work out for the first time, and today I am all aches and pains which might account for the slight increase. But I didnt buy any cigarettes today, and I have just run out of the few that were left from yesterday (yes that was included in the 36 I owned up to hehe), and tomorrow morning I am going to try and work out again and hopefully be a good boy and not buy ciggies. I've already had two snorts of snuff though :( I wont try to cheat using snuff, I'll cut down on that too and yes, I'll tell you honestly how I am doing. I fear though sir, that this is not going to be easy for us. I am trying to use working out as a distraction, perhaps you should try something like that too sir? Oh you will be away until monday, well remember sir, not to give up the fighting. Yes, I think the first smoke of the day is gonna be hardest to give up, I am gonna try giving that a shot tomorrow, will report back how I went. You can see my reports when you get back, just know that I'll be right there behind you peeking to see whether you are fighting the urge to smoke.:)
Have a nice trip, and a great time :)

Upvote 0
C

crimsonleaf

Hey Matt; I just stop by to see how you make out so far. If you take snuff that is ok but you should really count it as a smoke because it is full of nicotene. I personally have never had any success with substitute cigs, accupuncture, hypnosis, (you name it I tried it). Another friend has suggested e-cigs that are vapor but I am not sure this for me. I will wait until I am ready to go to nut house LOL before trying.

don't worry about Nicotine Allan. Worry about the 4,000 chemicals (including the carcinogenic ones) in tobacco tar. Nic is the least of your worries. E-cigs contain Nicotine but you can cut down on the strength over time - and they stop you getting to the loony stage anyway. Keep up the good work. I've recommended e-cigs to seven people apart from you, and all have successfully stopped smoking cigs.

Upvote 0

Rascus

Mar 19, 2012
South Carolina USA
✟7,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Allan...Im actually in almost the same situation as you ...Except that I am able to go for almost a whole before giving in and lighting that cigarette....which I do...though for some reason it cuts me way down but just cant"t seem to kick the habit all the way....but for sure I will pray for you....I wish I had the answer but I know That God is the answer .....its just like I must not be putting enough trust and faith in Him....but Im not giving up as I know that He will give me that faith and I will oovercome it with Gods help....Amen!
Heres a tip......or two to try.....go home one night without cigaretes or if you have any lock them in the trunk of you car.....try anything that makes it harder for you to get you hands on a cigarette....God Bless...Frank

Hello smokers and ex-smokers;
My name is Allan and I am an addicted tobacco smoker.
I started smoking at the age of 10 and currently I am age 70. In 60 years I do not recall going 3 days in a row without a smoke. For the last 10 years I have not smoked in house, car, etc. but only outside. I still smoke a pack per day (25).
I suffer from pulmenary artery claudification and my doctor says I need to quit 100% before I have stroke or annurism. Every night I go to bed thinking mabey tomorrow I will quit but when morning comes the first thing I do is get into coffee and cigs.
If anyone out there can relate to this story I would be very grateful for advice and prayers.
Thank you for replies
Allan

Upvote 0

dusht

Oct 12, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Hey Matt and Alan-
It is really good to see that you both took an initiative and playing a role model for others to quit. Well I started when I was 16 and now I am 22. Few months back I have quit smoking successfully.

Some suggestions I would like to give you from my personal experiences:

1. Just make a list apart from smoking which you like the most (can be swimming, reading, driving, talking, chatting, with family etc ...) and whenever you feel like smoking do any of the stuff from your list. You just need to start that stuff (from your list), rest is my guarantee! Remember most of the times craving comes from our psychological mind not because of addiction.

2. If by mistake or anyway you had 1 or 2 cig after quitting then don't think that you are failed instead feel motivated to make yourself better.

3. If you successfully quit smoking say for 1 or 2 week even for a month then don't have overconfidence like you can quit like this whenever you want and started thinking of smoking for a day. NO this won't be happen, you will again get into habit!

Please let me know if this thing helps you!

My emailId- dushyant133@gmail

Dushyant

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2012
✟8,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey dusht :)
You actually quit smoking! That's inspirational yaknow. To know that some has beaten the monster is great! I will indeed make a list like you said. I did start working out which helps a bit. Hmmm I didnt know the craving had a psychological side to it. Oh yes you must be right about the overconfidence thing, I hadnt thought about that so ty so much for the warning. Thank you for coming in and helping me and Allan out, just wait till he comes back and sees your support, he'd be happy I'm sure.

The day's report to Allan: I did my workout and stayed away from ciggies until nearly noon but I am sorry and ashamed to say that I weakened and so far have had 22 ciggies. I really feel bad, I promise to do better tomorrow. As dusht advised, I am gonna immerse myself in something as best as I can. I know for sure that you have done way better than me. I'll go to bed so's I dont light up another one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am praying for all of you who are quitting. I haven't taken so much as a drag off of a cigarette in going on two years now. It will be two years on November 23rd since I quit. I actually used an e-cig to quit. I tried to quit cold turkey in January, 2010, but started back up in April the same year. Quit for good in November. I tell ya, if the health problems don't scare you, the prices for smokes these days should LOL

Allan, I think it's amazing you are quitting for your health. My grandfather has been a smoker since he was a teenager. Just turned 77 yesterday. He has emphysema and congestive heart failure and still smokes like a chimney. Every time he takes a puff he chokes, wheezes, and struggles to breathe. His suffering due to his choice to continue to smoke is painful, emotionally, to witness :(

Anyway, if it hadn't been for the e-cig, I would still be a smoker. My advice, if you're going to try one, don't get the ones you see at gas stations and mall kiosks. They taste and perform awful, which is really discouraging for someone starting out. Get a good, affordable e-cig like the Joye 510 and some American made e-liquid. Chinese made juices just taste nasty. A really great place to buy an e-cig is through Cignot. The best tobacco flavored liquids I've ever tried came from Vaperite and Bluemist Vaping. I'm a hardcore fangirl for these two vendors LOL

One thing to understand is that nicotine is an addictive drug, one that we will be addicted to for the rest of our lives. With that said, God has the power to help us overcome this addiction, if we let Him. It's a powerful addiction. My neighbor, God love him, is a recovering alcoholic and a smoker. He said giving up booze was ten times easier than trying to quit smoking, so he's still a smoker and has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer.

May God bless you all int his journey!

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2012
✟8,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm in India sir :)

Boy, Allan is gonna be happy with all you people responding to his post. I smoked 20 cigs today and sadly I am feeling the craving again but hopefully I wont smoke as I really want to do better than yesterday. I wonder how you are doing Allan.

I really wonder whether I have opened up too many fronts because I am an alcoholic and I am trying to quit that too. Maybe I should just drink a little bit to ease the tobacco craving, I dunno.

Upvote 0

Allan McDougall

Oct 6, 2012
Guelph Ont. Can.
✟15,251.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hello Matt;
Well here we are back after 4 day holiday and this is my report to you how things are going. I followed all my own rules for the last 4 days and managed to average about 20 smokes per day (down from 25 when we started). This quitting is much more difficult then I ever thought before and I know the secret is to keep working at it 1 day at a time and do not quit quitting. I thought today I will try to set a min. time of 1 hour between smokes (surely I can wait an hour lol) and if I stay awake for 15 hours that means 15 smokes which translates to 15 a day from 20. Each day I will try to cut 1 more smoke out 14- 13- 12 etc.per day. Nov. 1 is getting here fast so if I want to be ready for quit day it is important to be feeling better and have an increased desire to throw these stinky butts out for good. Hope you are doing well and having some success as well. Looking forward to hearing from you as your success will certainly motivate me to keep trying. Have a great day.
Allan :wave:

Upvote 0
C

crimsonleaf

I really wonder whether I have opened up too many fronts because I am an alcoholic and I am trying to quit that too. Maybe I should just drink a little bit to ease the tobacco craving, I dunno.
I think you're attempting too much. I'd also concentrate on getting rid of the booze first, a personal view based on my once alcoholic grandfather who was an abusive alcoholic who smoked 40 a day until the day he died at 99 3/4. He gave up the booze in his 40's.

I give retirement advice (one of my many occupations) and conventional wisdom says that retirees should cut down on all the vices, plus loose a little weight. Bad advice. All you end up with is misery and failure.

Concentrate on one vice at a time. Drinking to excess will cost you your health, money and relationships, your liver and ultimately your life. Give yourself a realistic target (say 12 months) then, and only then, concentrate on the cigs.

Upvote 0