Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I just enjoyed a lovely beef stew full of carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, onion, beef, and garlic. It has white pepper as seasoning along with some salt from the vegetable stock I used. So, I suspect it was pretty close to kosher but definitely not vegetarian and probably not approved by Ellen White ;)

Is there a theology to cooking, are we definitely forbidden from partaking of some foods, like blood for example? Or has all that passed with the system of laws that made the nation of Israel a peculiar people.

No sabbath debates in here please, and no crazy religion either. :)

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Interesting how "christian lawyers", pick and choose the laws that are most convenient to their lifestyle.

Doesn't Jesus nail this issue to the cross with Him?

Matthew 15:11:
What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.

I do not know why some christians want to be half Jew in practice.

It makes me curious which exactly of the Moses laws are for christians and which ones are merely for the Jews? Whatever ones are repeated in the New Testament? I never explored the theology behind the laws too much.

Not that laws can save a person anyhow, but I digress.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just enjoyed a lovely beef stew full of carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, onion, beef, and garlic. It has white pepper as seasoning along with some salt from the vegetable stock I used. So, I suspect it was pretty close to kosher but definitely not vegetarian and probably not approved by Ellen White ;)

Is there a theology to cooking, are we definitely forbidden from partaking of some foods, like blood for example? Or has all that passed with the system of laws that made the nation of Israel a peculiar people.

Can you eat that on Friday?

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's convenient. ;):cool:
It would be if fish on Fridays was a requirement but it isn't, not even during lent, though abstinence is asked and a fast on Good Friday and one other day, maybe ash Wednesday ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Why no cannibalism? (Apart from murder, of course.)
Well, I guess it is the yuck factor to a large degree and the unpleasant idea of eating one who once was a brother (or sister) bearing the image of God.

How about you, do you have a theology of cooking?

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I guess it is the yuck factor to a large degree and the unpleasant idea of eating one who once was a brother (or sister) bearing the image of God.

How about you, do you have a theology of cooking?

I think I would eat my delicious brothers and sisters. If necessary. lol

I really don't think about food that much. Theologically, I see it as one vehicle of caring for others (as well as oneself).

Upvote 0

Tomyris

IntergalacticCouchPotato in Search of PerfectCouch
Nov 18, 2012
Not Far from Peculiar (Missouri)
✟16,025.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
and no crazy religion either. :)

You rang? :)

All things are allowed but not all are profitable. All things are made by God: what He has declared to be clean is good.

Gluttony is bad. Sharing with others is good. Withholding food or drink from the poor is to do that to Christ.

I don't eat meat with the blood, more out of personal preference I suppose but I have no hesitations about willingly conforming to a "don't do that" to a do that I do not want to do.

Eat with thanksgiving.

It is better to eat stale bread in the attic than a steak in the kitchen with a cranky woman. That is what I like about the book of Proverbs - it is a feminist tract sometimes.

Eat what is set before you (Rom 14??). Don't make your brother fall because of what you eat - charity is more important. In general, the general rules of theology apply to cooking.

Love thy neighbor. Don't salt his sugar cookies, steal his tomatoes or rejoice when the squirrels eat them.

It is wrong to raise a dog on caviar because the money could have gone to much better uses - so we are responsible for our food choices.

This concludes today's lesson. Tune in next time for "Tomyris Talks Tomatoes".

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You rang? :)

All things are allowed but not all are profitable. All things are made by God: what He has declared to be clean is good.

Gluttony is bad. Sharing with others is good. Withholding food or drink from the poor is to do that to Christ.

I don't eat meat with the blood, more out of personal preference I suppose but I have no hesitations about willingly conforming to a "don't do that" to a do that I do not want to do.

Eat with thanksgiving.

It is better to eat stale bread in the attic than a steak in the kitchen with a cranky woman. That is what I like about the book of Proverbs - it is a feminist tract sometimes.

Eat what is set before you (Rom 14??). Don't make your brother fall because of what you eat - charity is more important. In general, the general rules of theology apply to cooking.

Love thy neighbor. Don't salt his sugar cookies, steal his tomatoes or rejoice when the squirrels eat them.

It is wrong to raise a dog on caviar because the money could have gone to much better uses - so we are responsible for our food choices.

This concludes today's lesson. Tune in next time for "Tomyris Talks Tomatoes".

I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tomyris

IntergalacticCouchPotato in Search of PerfectCouch
Nov 18, 2012
Not Far from Peculiar (Missouri)
✟16,025.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation. ;)

Get used to disappointment.

Ok, ok....

1. Tomatoes are, AFAIK, not mentioned in Scripture. Does that mean they are unScriptural?

2. People refer to the 'meat' of a tomato. What I want to know is, is that KOSHER meat?

3. I spent at least 4 seconds thinking up research I am now presenting, so respect my results. Everyone who ate tomatoes between the years 1601-1644 is now DEAD. I have not researched the fate of those who ate tomatoes after those years, so I do not know the long-term effects of eating tomatoes. Do you really want to eat food where you do not know the long term effects? Think about that one.

4. A tomato, if placed by a child 15 years ago in the recesses of a couch, is disgusting when discovered. I would suggest theology of eating should find some way of making eating it unlawful.

5. People eat tomatoes, but do tomatoes eat people? Until this is determined, it is quite possible you may get a slice of your uncle or something. Think about that and cannibalism.

6. This is the sixth point I am making. It is rather anticlimactic. Hopefully, by now, you are used to disappointment.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Eat with thanksgiving.

I'd say this sums my "theology" up pretty well. That plus our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and ought to be maintained well enough.

The idea of eating blood, or cannibalism, makes me very squeamish. Both feel wrong on an internal level, though I don't think we have particular theological proscriptions. I think it's better to understand the many dimensions eating can cross, and apply right behavior in each case, as Tomyris did an excellent job of.

And when I was raising my own meat, I took great care to make sure the animals were happy, led good lives, kept them clean, and didn't allow them to stressed or frightened by slaughter.

I go to an EO Church. Fasting is part of the Church name, I think, lol. Not for theological reasons - I don't think there's any teaching from that point of view, but for reasons of asceticism, acknowledging dependence on God, keeping one's passions under control, and probably other reasons as well. In speaking to my priest, he is more concerned about a particular spiritual benefit and not fasting too rigorously nor disregarding for the wrong reasons. He's actually far less interested in what I actually eat. I think he is a wise guide, given that I am just beginning to understand it all.

Oh, MC, I am having the same dinner as you. Well, except that I didn't have cauliflower. And mine is leftovers. They had a sale on roast I've been waiting on for about 2 years lol, so it looks like I'll be having curry stew and chili soon, despite hot summer temps outside. ;)

(And the EO is still in the Apostle's Fast, which doesn't allow meat or dairy, but until I can discover the medical reason why I can't manage with lesser protein, I have Father M's blessing - as I said, he's more concerned with other aspects of fasting.)

I will say since I started that church, I don't discuss food much online! (Since we are not supposed to concern ourselves with how another fasts or doesn't.)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Hmmm.
Yahweh had Ezekiel prepare the sandwich recipe in the OT.
It could symbolize a type of famine punishment, as described in Josephus's accout of the destruction of Jerusalem......

Ezekiel 4:
13 Then said Yahweh, "in like manner shall the sons of Israel eat their bread defiled among the nations whither I will drive them.
14 Then said I "Ah! My Lord. Yahweh, lo! my person, hath not been defiled:
neither of what hath died of itself nor of what hath been torn in pieces have I eaten from my youthful days even unto now,
neither hath come into my mouth the flesh of a foul thing.
15 So then He said unto me "see, I have granted thee cows dung for mans dung
and thou shalt prepare thy bread thereupon.

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

.........The day on which Titus encompassed Jerusalem, was the feast of the Passover...........

.........Meanwhile the horrors of famine grew still more melancholy and afflictive.
The Jews, for want of food were at length compelled to eat their belts, their sandals, the skins of their shields, dried grass, and even the ordure of oxen.........
Reve 18:8
by this, in one day shall be arriving the blows of Her,
death and sorrow and famine;
and in fire She shall be being burned, that strong Lord, the God, the one judging Her

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Get used to disappointment.
INCONCEIVABLE!

Ok, ok....

1. Tomatoes are, AFAIK, not mentioned in Scripture. Does that mean they are unScriptural?

2. People refer to the 'meat' of a tomato. What I want to know is, is that KOSHER meat?

3. I spent at least 4 seconds thinking up research I am now presenting, so respect my results. Everyone who ate tomatoes between the years 1601-1644 is now DEAD. I have not researched the fate of those who ate tomatoes after those years, so I do not know the long-term effects of eating tomatoes. Do you really want to eat food where you do not know the long term effects? Think about that one.

4. A tomato, if placed by a child 15 years ago in the recesses of a couch, is disgusting when discovered. I would suggest theology of eating should find some way of making eating it unlawful.

5. People eat tomatoes, but do tomatoes eat people? Until this is determined, it is quite possible you may get a slice of your uncle or something. Think about that and cannibalism.

6. This is the sixth point I am making. It is rather anticlimactic. Hopefully, by now, you are used to disappointment.
Tomatoes were once thought to be poisonous until it was determined that people were actually ingesting Lead dissolved from their pewter plates by the acid in the tomatoes.

Heavy metal is bad for you ;)

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Christianity is pretty much unique in that it does not have food taboos. Since we are bodily beings and God created our world with the means of sustaining our life food, as for any other good thing, can be enjoyed with thanksgiving.

John
NZ

Upvote 0