Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
How is it supposed to be done
I put some helpful traits of strawmen for various positions in the first post. A strawman, if you don't know, is an argument a person makes for the side they oppose that is purposely constructed to be terrible, as a means to make the people arguing against them look stupid. They are called strawmen arguments because real people rarely, if ever, make the arguments a strawman does.

Atheist and creationist strawmen have become so elaborate as to become stupid, but hilarious, stereotypes.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is purely for fun. All other threads in this subforum exist for serious discussion, but this one does not. Even if you chose to post what you view as a serious argument, thanks to the premise of the thread, no one would take it seriously.
What is "fun" about it?

To me it's going to wind up to a
nah nah nah nah nah...I'm smarter than you.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I put some helpful traits of strawmen for various positions in the first post. A strawman, if you don't know, is an argument a person makes for the side they oppose that is purposely constructed to be terrible, as a means to make the people arguing against them look stupid. They are called strawmen arguments because real people rarely, if ever, make the arguments a strawman does.

Atheist and creationist strawmen have become so elaborate as to become stupid, but hilarious, stereotypes.
Let me think about it. Not sure I understand how one who is knowledgeable in the position they stand for would need to interject a straw man argument

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is "fun" about it?

To me it's going to wind up to a
nah nah nah nah nah...I'm smarter than you.
Nah, because we aren't really debating each other with arguments we know are terrible. We're trying to make our responses fit the strawmen, and also be funny. If you don't find it funny, you don't have to participate.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Let me think about it. Not sure I understand how one who is knowledgeable in the position they stand for would need to interject a straw man argument
No one needs to use a strawman argument; it's considered to be an underhanded and dishonest debate tactic. It's unfortunately common in creation vs evolution debates.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sarah

Remember how you told me that you are on the autistic spectrum?

So am I and I can't participate here

I have a big problem with exaggeration and anyone stretching truths

I reread your op and at first I thought you were shedding g a terrible light on atheists. And I seriously thought this was your position

But then I realized you were joking

I don't know how to do this and so I can't take part in it

Sarcasm,witty words, sly sayings all go over my head. I take everything said seriously and as my husband says. I need to lighten up.

But I know myself and this is very confusing to me

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sarah

Remember how you told me that you are on the autistic spectrum?

So am I and I can't participate here

I have a big problem with exaggeration and anyone stretching truths

I reread your op and at first I thought you were shedding g a terrible light on atheists. And I seriously thought this was your position

But then I realized you were joking

I don't know how to do this and so I can't take part in it

Sarcasm,witty words, sly sayings all go over my head. I take everything said seriously and as my husband says. I need to lighten up.

But I know myself and this is very confusing to me
You take it seriously, even when it is blatantly stated not to be serious?

Also, strawmen aren't stretching the truth; they're flat out lies. All atheists are not drunks and all creationists aren't idiots. If you cannot recognize a strawman when it is present, I highly suggest that you not be involved in this debate subforum, or any political debates, because it means you are unable to separate truth from fiction.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nah, because we aren't really debating each other with arguments we know are terrible. We're trying to make our responses fit the strawmen, and also be funny. If you don't find it funny, you don't have to participate.
That is my problem
I find it confusing so I am going to bow out

No hard feelings, Sarah
I have come to like you

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Also, strawmen aren't stretching the truth; they're flat out lies. All atheists are not drunks and all creationists aren't idiots. If you cannot recognize a strawman when it is present, I highly suggest that you not be involved in this debate subforum, or any political debates, because it means you are unable to separate truth from fiction.
What I recognized it initially as was a faulty opinion But I initially did think you were serious

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It means I know that there are those who stretch the truth, do lie, are inaccurate in their opinions and that I don't like it when it is done

It means I am not completely naive in thinking that this does not happen, but that I can't understand the reason why it happens

Why people make false statements and vocalize false opinions and suggestions of another

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
O

not only can you not speak for me on what I am able or unable to do
Or should or shouldn't do...

You imply from your above post that I should not be involved in debates because in reality people do lie?

Well I don't
Though I know (as I have already said) that people do lie

I have already told you that I will not be involved in this thread

However are you telling me that this sub forum is prone to flat out lies and therefore this is why you strongly suggest I not be involved in any debates here or on the political forum as well?

I know what I know
I am an expert on my position
And I will present my position

Truthfully

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is certainly nothing "cool" about satan

Becasue there is nothing cool about Satan, then any
additional evaluations by P.Sarah are invalid from this
time forward.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because I'm going to assume that you got your education at a religious school, I am going to act as if my education is inherently better, even if you have twice as much college experience as I do.

Your evaluations are so poor and assumptions to rampant, that this makes any "Learn-ed" opinions all void. One poor mistake always compounds into chaotic thought.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
O

not only can you not speak for me on what I am able or unable to do
Or should or shouldn't do...

You imply from your above post that I should not be involved in debates because in reality people do lie?

Well I don't
Though I know (as I have already said) that people do lie

I have already told you that I will not be involved in this thread

However are you telling me that this sub forum is prone to flat out lies and therefore this is why you strongly suggest I not be involved in any debates here or on the political forum as well?

I know what I know
I am an expert on my position
And I will present my position

Truthfully
My concern is that you will believe the strawmen arguments given by people that support a similar position to your own, and that this could negatively impact your debate tactics down the road, or even just your perceptions. I am advising you as I would advise a blind man not to try and become a microbiologist. Your personal limitations are extreme enough that you initially interpreted my exaggerated atheist strawman as an honest look into my life. What are you going to do when people are more subtle than that? Believe them? View other posts as unimportant and limit your responses? Always having to doubt people because you aren't sure if they are being literal or not?

Debating isn't a one way street of just presenting your position and leaving it at that. If that is all you are going to be doing, then just write a blog instead.

But I have no control over your life, so you can take my advice or leave it. I think this discussion has derailed this thread enough, so no more of it here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Becasue there is nothing cool about Satan, then any
additional evaluations by P.Sarah are invalid from this
time forward.
Satan invented music, how is he not cool? You listen to tunes on your way to work? Satan. Hum to yourself when you're bored? Satan. Religious songs that make my atheist ears bleed? Christians. I guess humans make crappy music compared to the devil. Hold on, Jimi Hendrix is trying to bum some acid off of me, so here's an awesome picture of the true god I worship even though I am an atheist and don't actually believe in gods I swear.

09f6033a3dd7dc7ec1161aa5d61ea348.jpg

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Satan invented music, how is he not cool? You listen to tunes on your way to work? Satan. Hum to yourself when you're bored? Satan. Religious songs that make my atheist ears bleed? Christians. I guess humans make crappy music compared to the devil. Hold on, Jimi Hendrix is trying to bum some acid off of me, so here's an awesome picture of the true god I worship even though I am an atheist and don't actually believe in gods I swear.

Satan worshipers are very poor at analysis. Especially educated ones.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My concern is that you will believe the strawmen arguments given by people that support a similar position to your own, and that this could negatively impact your debate tactics down the road, or even just your perceptions. I am advising you as I would advise a blind man not to try and become a microbiologist. Your personal limitations are extreme enough that you initially interpreted my exaggerated atheist strawman as an honest look into my life. What are you going to do when people are more subtle than that? Believe them? View other posts as unimportant and limit your responses? Always having to doubt people because you aren't sure if they are being literal or not?

Debating isn't a one way street of just presenting your position and leaving it at that. If that is all you are going to be doing, then just write a blog instead.

But I have no control over your life, so you can take my advice or leave it. I think this discussion has derailed this thread enough, so no more of it here.
Don't be concerned about me

TRUTH is TRUTH

There is no debate against THE TRUTH

TRUTH remains TRUTH
Regardless of whether ones position is for or against

Upvote 0