• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The state, marriage, and tradition

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by 98cwitr, Jun 4, 2019.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,973
    Christian
    A biologist does not care how a country chooses to define its unions.

2. devin553344

devin553344 Enlighten our lives dear Lord

+1,384
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well I would think a biologist would care about creation of life and the sustaining of species. Which is only allowed between man and wife? What do you think?

3. SummerMadness

+7,973
    Christian
    The thread there is posted in a philosophy section, there's a reason why this is appearing in the American Politics section, I would say that philosophy is not the big driving factor for changing the role of government in marriage.

4. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,416
    Baptist
    Married
    There is an outstanding issue, at least from conflicting sources, that bring into question whether or not the Amish actually get legally married or if they forgo that practice.

If anyone has any real world knowledge of whether they do or not I'm all ears.

5. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,416
    Baptist
    Married
    Politics is downstream of culture which is downstream of philosophy (or the lack thereof), so here we are.

6. devin553344

+1,384
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    OK thanks, I was curious.

7. SummerMadness

+7,973
    Christian
    Last I checked, there are many species in the world that are sustained without "man and wife." In fact most species are not human; there are also many species that sustain themselves even with same-sex relationships. Some species also change sex (e.g., clownfish).

8. devin553344

+1,384
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    So does that include human? Curious.

9. SummerMadness

+7,973
    Christian
    What are you curious about? Biology is the study of life and living organisms. Simple. What do biologists have to do with marriage? Nothing (although I am sure there are many biologists who have married their partners).

10. devin553344

+1,384
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Sure marriage is a grey area. I was talking about biology and mating and re-creating though. Which is the essential of being one flesh and married under God.

11. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+8,063
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    I don't see what relevance science or biology has to the question of legal benefits to married couples.

12. devin553344

+1,384
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    It has religious implications, when you put religion into the equation. What is marriage if it isn't being one flesh Genesis 2:21-24.

13. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+1,071
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Are you calling for civil disobedience because gay folk are allowed to marry one another*?
    Sounds rather counterproductive to my Deist ear!

*Back-in-the-day, one of the arguments was that “gays are promiscuous”, (which was true to a certain extent), but when activists countered with, “that’ll go away once we are given the right to marry”, that, of course, was rejected.

Placing people in a “no-win” situation to appease your God doesn’t sound just.

14. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,970
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Who said anything about civil disobedience? Besides you, I mean.

15. Pommer

+1,071
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat

Disney built an Empire on this fairy-tale!
    Or allow people to marry whom they desire and take the benefits that are already in place?

16. Pommer

+1,071
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    The way this is written, suggests that the “redress of grievances” should begin with refusal to subject oneself to secular law, (okay, I’ll give you that it’s rather a hyperbolic slant, but could be a valid interpretation of the quote).

17. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,970
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Ah.

No, I can see that. I guess I interpreted her idea as advocating for Christians to not seek civil recognition of our unions. My reply on page 1 is predicated on that interpretation.

Wouldn't it be funny if you understood her properly and I'm the one who misunderstood her? I'd have egg on my face.

18. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+8,063
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    What happened to the science and biology? Now you're talking about religious implications. Biologists aren't experts on that.

To that point, I think a biologist would say that two separate people are two separate creatures even after they get married.

19. Pommer

+1,071
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    I think she spelled her stance out better with that link.

20. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+1,949
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm married 45 years in the eyes of the church and the state. And while, I'm neither theologian nor historian, I strongly suspect when the Bible talks about marriage it has little to do with marriage as we know it today. I think terms such as "covenant" and "obligation" may be more fitting descriptions of Biblical marriage than either state or church sanctioned marriage. But what do I know?

I know only that the vow I took means more to me than a recorded state marriage.