• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The state, marriage, and tradition

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by 98cwitr, Jun 4, 2019.

1. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,415
    Baptist
    Married
    It has of late perplexed me as to why the state would have anything to do with marriage or legal unions.

To any who prescribe that we are, or ever were a "Christian nation" I would ask: Then why does the state facilitate divorce when God Himself told us:

So, that being ever apparent to us, is there any scenario where the state should have any say whatsoever in marriage; or should that be, under the 1st amendment, protected as a religious ruling only?

Certainly there are legal benefits to marriage under the state, but I cannot think of anything, apart from Social Security (which we should have never permitted in the first place) that benefits a married couple who are truly brought together by God.

As Christians, should we be refusing and opposing the state's legalities on a union by which only God has formed, and not man?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. devin553344

devin553344 Enlighten our lives dear Lord

+1,311
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I thought the same thing when my wife divorced me. Her vows were flawed and meant nothing.

3. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,943
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Because the state has a compelling interest in understanding marriage when it comes to matters of inheritance, custody, visitation, taxation and so forth. Whether the libertarians like it or not, the state absolutely has skin in this game.

The state recognizes that marriage often results in children and children are a benefit to society. It is therefore very much the state's business whether two people are married to one another, whether they have children, etc.

No. We should not. Partly because, as above, it's very much the state's business who gets married. But mostly, the people who advocate this approach are trying desperately to find a way out of settling the issue of marriage on a societal level in a way which doesn't require any risk or effort on their part.

That approach won't solve society's marriage problem.

EDIT- I should say that what I interpreted from the OP was a recommendation that Christians avoid obtaining civil marriage licenses as an act of legal disengagement from government coercion. If that wasn’t the OP’s intent... my bad!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  4. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+964
    Lutheran
    Married
    The state has a huge interest in marriage. Marriage has several facets, and the spiritual is only one of them.

The reason for the state's interest is twofold: 1) stability, 2) property.

5. devin553344

+1,311
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Till death do we part?

6. 98cwitr

+1,415
    Baptist
    Married
    1) If God has formed the union, then stability is assumed

2) Homes can go into more than one person's name, so both interests are satisfied.

7. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+964
    Lutheran
    Married
    I'm not saying there aren't alternative ways to write contracts that would achieve the same thing. But there is a looooooooooong legal tradition surrounding marriage and it would take a loooooooooooong time to untangle them. It's not a simple solution.

With that said, I'd prefer the U.S. move toward one of the alternatives.

8. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,907
    Christian
    Why are we all of a sudden concerned about the government's role in connection to marriage? I also think it's odd to ask this question of legal unions as "legal" is the operative word. Why is this an issue now? It didn't seem to be a problem 20 years ago.

9. devin553344

+1,311
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
  10. thecolorsblend

+4,943
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Back then, most people didn't think men could have relationships with other men and call that "marriage".

11. 98cwitr

+1,415
    Baptist
    Married
    While this isn't the source of my thought process, this is a very true point you've made as well.

12. Rubiks

Rubiks armchair linguist

+2,041
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Well, for one, the Bible doesn't really give a clear stance on divorce and remarriage. The Law of Moses allowed a man to divorce his wife for essentially any reason. The only restriction on remarriage was one cannot remarry a previous spouse.

Jesus, on the other hand, appears to affirm the basic goodness of the Law of Moses while fundamentally disagreeing with it. There are many different interpretations of "[the law] was given because of the hardness of your hearts." Some of which have some serious theological implications.

13. Rubiks

Rubiks armchair linguist

+2,041
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    EDIT: double post

14. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+7,907
    Christian
    That reminds of me of segregation era attitudes. You enjoy a privilege/accommodation and then someone previously barred from consideration now has equal access. In response, the plan is to take away the privilege for everyone. Marriage benefits via the government were fine until gay people could also receive those benefits, but now it's time to end all those benefits.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. devin553344

+1,311
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Sure but I'm not sure how a biologist would feel about that idea, being a scientist.

16. 98cwitr

+1,415
    Baptist
    Married
    I'm definitely not the first to ponder this: Marriage w/o a license?

And then there's the Amish....

17. 98cwitr

+1,415
    Baptist
    Married
    I guess as Christians then, we follow the teachings of Christ then.

18. devin553344

+1,311
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'm curious about the Amish, can you elaborate please?

19. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+964
    Lutheran
    Married
    Yep.

20. thecolorsblend

+4,943
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    That's literally the opposite of what I said. I said, essentially, that the only legally valid unions should be between one man (who was born with male parts) and one woman (who was born with female parts). Anything else is not a marriage and the law should recognize that.