The science of abortion: When does life begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disposable in what manner? A conscious decision to terminate as in abortifacients?
You used the word disposable, so you tell me what manner you meant it in. I took it to mean that the body disposes of gametes by natural means but sometimes the right conditions arise for those cells to become humans. Likewise then, the body naturally and spontaneously disposes of some embryos. So my question was why are you regarding gametes as any more disposable than embryos? I'm only talking about natural disposal not willful abortion.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok I think this thread served a purpose to establish the science of our origins as human beings. Human life, how we begin, starts at conception. I know many are eager to move to a more theological discussion. I will provide that OP in a few days.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm only talking about natural disposal not willful abortion.
You are linking that back to my statement about the regular loss of gametes that I observed earlier. I had surmised that since God had designed the menstrual system (and, possibly, nocturnal emissions) to regularly expel unused gametes, that they, alone, were somewhat expendable. This cannot be stated for an embryo (spontaneous abortion notwithstanding).

The former are correctly working systems. The latter is a failure, whether intentional or not.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that the science of conception is well understood. The question of personhood is theological/philosophical rather than scientific although I raised some real scientific problems in my first post on this thread. Many Christian theologians and/or philosophers have similar difficulties:

"The law does not provide that the act of abortion pertains to homicide, for there cannot yet be said to be a live soul in a body that lacks sensation..."--St Augustine

"The intellective soul i.e., true person is created by God at the completion of man's coming into being." -- St Thomas Aquinas

"Many modern philosophers and theologians return to St. Thomas' view."-- Fr Joseph F. Donceel, S.J.

"To admit that the human fetus receives the intellectual soul from the moment of its conception, when matter is in no way ready for it, sounds to me like a philosophical absurdity. It is as absurd as to call a fertilized ovum a baby." --Jacques Maritain

"Many people believe that the Roman Catholic Church's opposition to abortion stems from its conviction that a new human person exists from the first moment of conception...It is clear that this is not now, or has ever been, official church teaching on the matter."--James T. McCartney

"In the rabbinic tradition...abortion remains a non-capital crime at worst."--Rabbi David Feldman

The Scriptures are silent in defining when one becomes a person.
Rather rudely ignoring the OPs rather specific request to take this thread as an opportunity to flame Catholics and their position against abortion is noted for all this post is. Not even a particular good mud sling at that, in that it must first misrepresent the opinions of people not present to defend themselves to then throw mud at the imaginary flawed image so painted.

Consistent stand from earliest ages of the Church is obviously present (in addition to Scriptural appeal against abortion as murder)

Didache - 1st-2nd century "You shall not procure [an] abortion, nor destroy a new-born child"

Tertullian - 2nd century "The embryo therefore becomes a human being in the womb from the moment that its form is completed." CHURCH FATHERS: A Treatise on the Soul (Tertullian).
"In our case, a murder being once for all forbidden, we may not destroy even the fetus in the womb,"CHURCH FATHERS: Apology (Tertullian)

Saint Hippolytus 3rd century http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/050109.htm-"Behold, into how great impiety that lawless one has proceeded, by inculcating adultery and murder at the same time!

The Scriptures as noted repeatedly already are not silent on the sin of abortion, which means it is wrong and as wrong as murder in terms of gravity.

So it is rather obvious whatever else one falsely claims about various Catholics offering opinions, it has never been true that the Church has tolerated an opinion that abortion is not as grave a sin as murder or that it is has EVER been at ANYTIME in Church history considered OK to do. So neither would it ever be OK with the Church for any Christian to argue that abortion would be OK morally at any point in human stages of development.

Will deal with the rather disingenuous appeals to very selective quotes meant to misrepresent specific Catholic opinions in the next reply to this anti-Catholic flame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that the science of conception is well understood. The question of personhood is theological/philosophical rather than scientific although I raised some real scientific problems in my first post on this thread. Many Christian theologians and/or philosophers have similar difficulties:

"The law does not provide that the act of abortion pertains to homicide, for there cannot yet be said to be a live soul in a body that lacks sensation..."--St Augustine

"The intellective soul i.e., true person is created by God at the completion of man's coming into being." -- St Thomas Aquinas

"Many modern philosophers and theologians return to St. Thomas' view."-- Fr Joseph F. Donceel, S.J.

"To admit that the human fetus receives the intellectual soul from the moment of its conception, when matter is in no way ready for it, sounds to me like a philosophical absurdity. It is as absurd as to call a fertilized ovum a baby." --Jacques Maritain

"Many people believe that the Roman Catholic Church's opposition to abortion stems from its conviction that a new human person exists from the first moment of conception...It is clear that this is not now, or has ever been, official church teaching on the matter."--James T. McCartney

"In the rabbinic tradition...abortion remains a non-capital crime at worst."--Rabbi David Feldman

Rather convenient selection of quotes of various Catholics required to misrepresent their position to build up to a anti-Catholic conclusion as supported by non-Catholic opinion, including a famously flaming anti-Catholic James T. McCartney.

That an anti-Catholic poster in an attempt at confusing the philosophical argument of Church Doctors more than it need be is understood for what this is. That it could even be said to be a good attempt at flaming Catholics is not clear at all, but it is obviously and directly an attempt to discredit the Catholic position in a thread defending what should be every Christian's rather required stand against abortion. Made even a more general insult to everyone in CF in that it violates the expressed request of the OP for thread topic, offering scientific support for an anti-abortion position or Scriptural or Church support for same.

While it is true and at various times, but especially in the middle ages, we can find some Catholics offering opinion about when the soul could positively be said present in the body, even by a few weeks after conception, what is never true even of those specific people so quoted, that there was at the same time (or at ANY time), a belief that it was ever OK to perform or seek or obtain an abortion. The record is very clear on that and omitting that in viewing these quotes is being both false in witness to them and salacious toward the Church’s consistence stance.

The opinion expressed by Saint Augustine is just an appeal to the more ancient one of Aristotle. It is an expression of when a soul could positively be said to be present in a stage of human development. As such, this quote is addressing only an opinion as to whether an abortion is always equivalent with murder. So rather obviously not a reflection on whether abortion might be OK at ANYTIME, it is clearly ONLY an opinion at what point could one positively declare it equivalent to murder (also a grave sin). Because the Church has from the beginning held ANY abortion a grave sin, it would be a serious insult/error for anyone to declare it OK. A charge even a Doctor of the Church could not escape if he in fact offered that opinion. This quote then is obviously not a Saint saying abortion is OK sometimes.

To attempt to understand the view of Saint Thomas without giving him the full power of all his view on the matter is dishonest at best. He saw multiple "powers" of the same human soul beyond just the power of intellect. That specific power is obviously associated with the senses, but it is not the only power the Saint maintains the human soul has. To suggest then the lack of senses created a problem for him having the human soul's presence required before "senses" could reasonably be assured is declaring something he did not say at all. By contrast his fuller view of all the powers of the soul refutes the gross distortion of his position intentionally meant to be presented by offering the quote the poster gave us.

Saint Thomas requires every living thing to have a spirit driving from conception what that thing is to be (become). In that same process of development, the human spirit, our soul, is distinct from other living things in that our souls he says have a “power of intellect” their spirits lack. A power which obviously would come to first use only with later stages of our development. So, his view of that quality of our souls is not a declaration at all that the soul's absent prior to that point. Obviously, just as he insists with all animals, Saint Thomas requires our soul to be present at conception to be driving that person from the moment of conception to become what we are, human. Which again is fully consistent with the Church’s ever present opinion against abortion.

Saint Thomas, like Augustine before him, has more specific declarations about 40/80 days are again based on his appeal to Aristotle. BTW also funny as the ancient Greek philosopher made it twice as long for girls and that opinion still held over millennium later, which today seems counter intuitive but still understandable as a man’s view. In this specific appeal to an older view this Doctor of the Church is doing nothing more than correctly offering his opinion that at such a point in our development a "soul" could without any doubting be declared present because the intellectual powers of that soul (for sensation) would obviously have to be admitted by everyone, including the more ancient Greeks. So regardless of the quotes selected these views are all fully consistent with that ever present consistent view of the Church.

The 20th Catholic, French (why do I hate the French again? lol) philosopher Jacques Maritain's view of the soul is likewise misrepresented in the quote as he too is speaking of and no doubt in at least a partial and in error appeal to Saint Thomas's concept power of the intellect from our soul. He even labels it intellectual soul (oppose to spirits of other animals). A Catholic lay person is entitled to expressing opinion, but his anti-abortion argument makes some rather critical errors that Saint Thomas did not make. One of those errors is in his own appeal to Saint Thomas's understanding of a human soul's power of the intellect. None the less and forgiving any flawed reasoning expressed, the good Catholic Jacques was indeed famous for among other things, his anti-abortion stance which is also fully consistent with the never changing Church position.

So even though Jacques argument and his staunch stand for protecting the human embryo is flawed in some specifics as reasons for holding to it so dearly, the flaws do not change where he stood on the matter. We cannot pretend from a single quote that 1) he did not defend that embryo as absolutely being a human 2) his opinion on the Church's historical position is entirely accurate even if understood that way or even that "not a baby" means as much as an anti-Catholic flamer or many pro-choice folks would want it to mean to the cheese lover Jacques.

As the remainder of the post are appeals to either flaming anti-Catholic or non-Catholics. I accept those folks and many others including the poster would want to hold such dim view of the Church's consistent stand on abortion.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We really aren't debating when human life begins so much as human personhood.
How does anyone separate being a human person from the idea of a specific life in all it's stages being a human life. Would think by definition a human life is talking about a person.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, like our Canadian friend said, a chimera casts into doubt the idea of a distinct human being in terms of genetics and chromosomes.
Not at all. The presence of a spirit, a soul that is in every sense a driving force of exactly whose body that chimera is, declares it belongs to human person as opposed to some other life form.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see your point, that opposition to abortion is about reverence for human life. But isn't reverence a religious notion? I don't see how you can toss out the concern over personhood. Personhood was essential to ending slavery, after all. Nobody denied that slaves were human lives.
Again in talking about whether or not end a human life, in what sense could we ever logically separate the idea of a unique person from the concept of a life which is human. The presence of a spirit fully integrated with the very first formation of all animate life driving it to become both what it is already and will be in all it's stages; which rather demands recognition that even at the earliest formation that "thing" is an unique individual example of what it is. Those cells, even before the first division is and always is a life. In the case of humans, that life is called a person. So willfully ending that life at any point is destroying a person.
Without justification we typically call that murder whether the person committing it considers the life being ended worthy of being seen as a human life or not.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,334.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And ends the first time you sin.
Not always right away.

Physical life does not end the first time we sin.
Spiritual - eternal - life is ended by sin. When Adam disobeyed God and ate fruit from the tree he did die - spiritually. He was separated from God by sin, and from then onwards, mankind had to offer sacrifices to atone for their sin and receive forgiveness.

One day, we will all die. It is true that death came into the world when sin did. But God is gracious and gives us many opportunities to know him, receive him and be reconciled to him before we die physically. Because after that, it will be too late.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The two kingdoms doctrine is one reason I can sometimes take the "atheist side" in debates on this forum, because when it comes to worldly things we as Christians are free to engage in worldly discourse on terms that are common to all of us, ie, what is natural.
I fail to see the value of claiming to hold a position of morality that one is unwilling to defend or stand against. Especially when a society actively promotes behavior against it, and even more so if it involves the treatment of the weak or defenseless. If it is indeed believed wrong to treat some class or grouping of people differently, then the righteous must be willing to stand up for those people against those who would treat them otherwise if not for someone taking a stand for what is right.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
DrBubbaLove --- I am sincerely sorry that you understood my posts as being anti-Catholic or even anti-Christian, they were certainly not intended to be such. I was simply pointing out that there are wide divergences of opinion on the subject and that I do not regard a matter as complex and emotionally loaded as this as in any way settled. Vaya con Dios my friend.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
If it is indeed believed wrong to treat some class or grouping of people differently, then the righteous must be willing to stand up for those people against those who would treat them otherwise if not for someone taking a stand for what is right.

I'm not again individual Christians taking a stand against a perceived evil, and even cooperating on religious principles with other Christian. But I think we need to be cautious about how we do that and with what methods. As a Lutheran, I don't believe in confusing my good works with my justification ,and I shouldn't act in the civil sphere in a way that jeopardizes that distinction for others, either. You wouldn't want an atheist thinking that they are becoming more Christian simply for agreeing with you about abortion, would you? That could lead to a murky message about just what the Gospel is. I want the pro-choice atheist to be able to hear the Gospel just as clearly as I do.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I applaud the OP for it's attempt. But clearly it's almost impossible for people to actually stay on topic within such an emotionally charged conversation. Shame though.

I think this is a very important question to ask. The most important actually. The morality of abortion, at the end of the day, stands or falls with how we define the growing life inside a mother's womb.

God is the only eternal being that exists. Everything else is contingent. Everything else has a beginning. When Scripture uses language about God knowing us before we were born, it's not a reference to our actually existing prior to our birth - that's terrible hermeneutics. It's a reference to God's omniscience. God already knows if my 8 year old son is going to have a son himself, and God already knows the name of that son, and his son, and his son. But that is not because those people already exist! It's because God is omniscient. Only God is eternal. All of us have a finite beginning.

Our beginning is at conception. Conception marks the time in which a new living, human organism comes into existence. A sperm has no potential to become anything more than a sperm. A human egg has no potential to become anything more than an egg. You leave the sperm alone and the egg alone and they will never become more than what they are. They each have 23 chromosomes and are not human beings. Once the 1 in 100,000,000 sperm makes it to the egg and fertilizes it - we have a new life. That new life is a human.

There is no doubt from a medical or scientific perspective that human life begins at conception.

Dr. Alfred M. Bongioanni, professor of pediatrics and obstetrics at the University of Pennsylvania, stated:

“I have learned from my earliest medical education that human life begins at the time of conception…. I submit that human life is present throughout this entire sequence from conception to adulthood and that any interruption at any point throughout this time constitutes a termination of human life….

I am no more prepared to say that these early stages [of development in the womb] represent an incomplete human being than I would be to say that the child prior to the dramatic effects of puberty…is not a human being. This is human life at every stage.”

Dr. Jerome LeJeune, professor of genetics at the University of Descartes in Paris, was the discoverer of the chromosome pattern of Down syndrome. He testified to the Judiciary Subcommittee, “after fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being.” He stated that this “is no longer a matter of taste or opinion,” and “not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence.” He added, “Each individual has a very neat beginning, at conception.”

Professor Hymie Gordon, Mayo Clinic: “By all the criteria of modern molecular biology, life is present from the moment of conception.”

Professor Micheline Matthews-Roth, Harvard University Medical School: “It is incorrect to say that biological data cannot be decisive…. It is scientifically correct to say that an individual human life begins at conception…. Our laws, one function of which is to help preserve the lives of our people, should be based on accurate scientific data.”

Dr. Watson A. Bowes, University of Colorado Medical School: “The beginning of a single human life is from a biological point of view a simple and straightforward matter—the beginning is conception. This straightforward biological fact should not be distorted to serve sociological, political, or economic goals.”

Ashley Montague, a geneticist and professor at Harvard and Rutgers, is unsympathetic to the prolife cause. Nevertheless, he affirms unequivocally, “The basic fact is simple: life begins not at birth, but conception.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While it is true and at various times, but especially in the middle ages, we can find some Catholics offering opinion about when the soul could positively be said present in the body, even by a few weeks after conception, what is never true even of those specific people so quoted, that there was at the same time (or at ANY time), a belief that it was ever OK to perform or seek or obtain an abortion. The record is very clear on that and omitting that in viewing these quotes is being both false in witness to them and salacious toward the Church’s consistence stance.

I see the above would be a great contribution to our theological thread upcoming. However, I think you make your point quite clear to correct the record for some quotes used previously which may have cast some doubt of the Catholic Church history of being Pro-Life from the very beginning. Which we know is the Pro-Life position. Thank you for your contribution.

Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An older article, however most important to the abortion debate. Unfortunately, the abortion debate is immersed in political speech and worse psuedo philosophy. The article below shows how much people will ignore clear scientific definitions to avoid calling pre-born human life, just that...Human. The mental gymnastics used to avoid the scientific evidence is most concerning considering we are dealing with life and death.

I have one request for anyone disagreeing with the evidence presented below. Please offer opposing scientific evidence which concludes human life does not begin at conception. Secondly, since this is a Christian only section, please present either your Biblical exegesis in favor for elective abortions or your church teaching on elective abortions.

Elective abortion means the pregnant woman is healthy and the pre-born baby is healthy and yet the woman decides to abort.

The science of abortion: When does life begin?

By James D. Agresti
June 10, 2014

In a recent interview, Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) declared it is a scientific fact that “human life begins at conception.” He also said that “leaders on the left” who “wag their fingers” about the “settled science” of global warming are hypocrites when it comes to science, and someone should ask them if they accept the “consensus of scientists that says that human life begins at conception.”

Going further, the senator added, “I’d like to see someone ask that question. It’s never asked. And that’s not even a debatable thing, we can actually see that happening. I mean, that is a proven fact. And yet that’s a scientific consensus they conveniently choose to ignore.”

In the wake of these remarks, MSNBC reporter Irin Carmon and Washington Post blogger Philip Bump pushed back at Rubio, asserting that:

• he made a “scientific blunder on abortion.” (Carmon)
  • “conception” and “life” “aren’t scientific terms.” (Carmon)
  • “the scientific experts we spoke with didn’t offer any consensus” on when life begins. (Bump)
However, as documented below, the facts of science support Rubio’s point and reveal that the claims of Carmon and Bump are scientifically baseless.

Science shows that life begins at conception

Contrary to Carmon’s allegation that “conception” and “life” are not scientific terms, both of these words are clearly defined in science dictionaries and widely used in scientific literature.

To cite just a few examples, the American Heritage Science Dictionary defines “conception” as “the formation of a zygote resulting from the union of a sperm and egg cell; fertilization.” (For reference, a zygote is the first stage of a human embryo.)

Likewise, the entry for “life” in the American Heritage Dictionary of Science states that life is “the form of existence that organisms like animals and plants have and that inorganic objects or organic dead bodies lack; animate existence, characterized by growth, reproduction, metabolism, and response to stimuli.”

Rubio’s statement that “human life begins at conception” is consistent with both of these definitions, because human zygotes display all four empirical attributes of life:

1. Growth – As explained in the textbook Essentials of Human Development: A Life-Span View, “the zygote grows rapidly through cell division.”
  1. Reproduction – Per Human Sexuality: An Encyclopedia, zygotes sometimes form identical twins, which is an act of “asexual reproduction.” (Also, in this context, the word “reproduction” is more accurately understood as “reproductive potential” instead of “active reproduction.” For example, three-year-old humans are manifestly alive, but they can’t actively reproduce.)
  1. Metabolism – As detailed in the medical text Human Gametes and Preimplantation Embryos: Assessment and Diagnosis, “At the zygote stage,” the human embryo metabolizes “carboxylic acids pyruvate and lactate as its preferred energy substrates.”
  1. Response to stimuli – Collins English Dictionary defines a “stimulus” as “any drug, agent, electrical impulse, or other factor able to cause a response in an organism.” Experiments have shown that zygotes are responsive to such factors. For example, a 2005 paper in the journal Human Reproduction Update notes that a compound called platelet-activating factor “acts upon the zygote” by stimulating “metabolism,” “cell-cycle progression,” and “viability.”
Furthermore, the science of embryology has proven that the genetic composition of humans is formed during fertilization, and as the textbook Molecular Biology explains, this genetic material is “the very basis of life itself.”

In accord with the facts above, the textbook Before We Are Born: Essentials of Embryology and Birth Defects directly states: “The zygote and early embryo are living human organisms.” This may be controversial from a political perspective, but the sciences of embryology and genetics leave no doubt as to when human life begins.

The science of abortion: When does life begin? - Just Facts
Scripture clearly deals with the unborn as human life as it assigns value to their lives...
Exodus 21:22-25:
“If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

Most people know or have seen ultrasounds of the baby in utero and witness the heartbeat or even hiccups or thumbsucking!

Here we have human law...
The Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-212) is a United States law which recognizes a fetus in utero as a legal victim, if they are injured or killed during the commission of any of over 60 listed federal crimes of violence. The law defines "child in utero" as "a member of the species Homo sapiens, at any stage of development, who is carried in the womb".

There are other such laws and it is in my opinion true hypocrisy that we as a nation recognize life in the womb for criminal law and yet not in regard to abortion. We are a corrupt and a spineless nation in regards the protection of the unborn.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dr. Watson A. Bowes, University of Colorado Medical School: “The beginning of a single human life is from a biological point of view a simple and straightforward matter—the beginning is conception. This straightforward biological fact should not be distorted to serve sociological, political, or economic goals.”
Any middle school student who has had an anatomy class, that covers the reproduction system, knows the biological fact that conception is the beginning of life, the process of forming a human body, or even more than one human body.
Scientifically, biologically, speaking that is all we can know. So yes, it is very simple and straightforward. There isn't a doctor alive that would say anything different.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really have not seen any science evidence for when ensoulment happens. soul = image of God.

Theories that I remember:

All spirits were made in the seven days of creation and are waiting in a holding place.

spirits are created: at birth, at conception both by God.

spirits like physical part are generated from Mother and Father's spirit.

From Science, I do not see how any of these can be proven unless the spirit has a physical component. I do remember the claim that we lose an ounce at death.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really have not seen any science evidence for when ensoulment happens. soul = image of God.

Theories that I remember:

All spirits were made in the seven days of creation and are waiting in a holding place.

spirits are created: at birth, at conception both by God.

spirits like physical part are generated from Mother and Father's spirit.

From Science, I do not see how any of these can be proven unless the spirit has a physical component. I do remember the claim that we lose an ounce at death.

The OP is not addressing 'ensoulment.' That will be the topic for another thread when we discuss the theological aspects of the abortion debate. I will post a link here when ready.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Ah, someone who follows Nancy Pelosi for his theology...(Saint Augustine, On Exodus 21:22). The verse in Exodus about which Augustine was writing clearly supports protecting the unborn -- for it says, "If men fight, and hurt a woman with child, so that she gives birth prematurely (a live birth, yatza in Hebrew, thus not a miscarriage which would require the verb to be accompanied by some form of muth, meaning to die), yet no harm follows, he shall surely be punished accordingly as the woman's husband imposes on him; and he shall pay as the judges determine."
According to Aquinas, the intellect soul is actually alive and united with the human body therefore; it assumes the form of a human body. So no. As soon as there's a body, there's an intellective soul. This refutes the implied meaning of Fr. Donceel's quote, as well.

How would Mr. Maritain know that the body is in no way ready?
Who?
So what? We're Christians.
I see you're active on prochoicetalk.com?

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DrBubbaLove --- I am sincerely sorry that you understood my posts as being anti-Catholic or even anti-Christian, they were certainly not intended to be such. I was simply pointing out that there are wide divergences of opinion on the subject and that I do not regard a matter as complex and emotionally loaded as this as in any way settled. Vaya con Dios my friend.
Thank you for the apology.
That was all that needed saying and simply said, which could have been done in the first post, which in my mind was rather decidedly not what that post attempted to express at all.

I do not agree that either the extent of the alleged diverging opinions that post offered existed historically or that any of the dissent suggested in the first post actually existed historically within the RCC. If it did it would have been refuted. Those good men were slandered in that posting and a response to that slander should be expected. I will agree in very modern times there are groups within in the RCC with opinions that are opposed to Church teachings on the matter. Apology accepted, though I'd rather wish that post removed the insults done to those men and to the Church.

Peace be with you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.