Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone seen this book? It's for sale on Amazon.com (in cassette form, or used copies of the paperback). Astonishing!

The Sacrament of Abortion is the title of a book written by Ginette Paris and published in 1992. In this short book, the author claims that abortion is a sacred act, a sacrifice to Artemis (known to the Romans as Diana).

Artemis is both a protector of wild animals and a hunter who kills them with deadly aim. How can these contradictory roles be found in the same female deity? The view proposed in this book is that a mother properly cares for life only if she possesses full power over life and death. Death is sometimes preferable. The one who can provide death, in order that one may escape an unfriendly life, is really loving the one who is being killed.

Abortion, then, is seen as "an expression of maternal responsibility and not a failure of maternal love" (p.8). "Artemis stands for the refusal to give life if the gift is not pure and untainted….As Artemis might kill a wounded animal rather than allow it to limp along miserably, so a mother wishes to spare the child a painful destiny" (p. 55).

from Priests for Life

louella

Jan 21, 2009
✟7,810.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
some women are put in the most horrific conditions to bring up a child, and though i can understand the concern for an unborn child in these cases, it's not our right to take life away, just as it wasn't us who created life.... but God's.

the view of the author is empathetic towards women and children, but the solution is twisted.

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
“… the return of the ancient Goddess Artemis invites us to imagine a new allocation of life and death powers between men and women, and allocation that allows men to appreciate the cost of a life and women to make decisions based on their mother-knowledge.” (p. 27)

“Abortion is a sacrifice to Artemis. Abortion as a sacrament for the gift of life to remain pure.” (p. 107)

“It is not immoral to choose abortion; it is simply another kind of morality, a pagan one. It is time to stop being defensive about it, time to point an accusatory finger at the other camp and denounce its own immoral stance.” (p. 56)

“Paganism was discredited by the image of an innocent child being dragged by evil pagans to an altar to be sacrificed to a cruel female Goddess, as if God hadn’t also demanded the sacrifice and crucifixion of his only son.” (p. 41)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well it's the whole goddess thing thats quite popular among some in feminist circles. They don't necessarily see it as a bad thing.

They don't want to be seen as just nurturing character in their femininity but also relate to the warrior/death goddess.

Some see it as justification from the things I've read.

I say...

Nutjob. :p

Reactions: Annolennar
Upvote 0

CreedIsChrist

Jul 25, 2008
✟4,612.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Its another justification book on abortion. However in a much more twisted sense, seems to bring back the days of Baal and children sacrifice. That its popular in feminist circles obviously shows the depraved character of them if they like such a book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
that's horrible! :(

wow, i am amazed they are being so clear about this
"abortion is a form of human sacrifice to pagan gods"
I have thought that abortion was more demonic then most people knew, but the fact that people would put it in a book? amazing

pagan gods = demons? ..in this case..

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like someone is feeling very guilty and is trying to convince herself (and others) that she did the right thing.

exactly what I was thinking. The reality of abortion is so horribly evil that a person considering it has to convince themselves that they are not evil. The human mind cannot accept the horror of innocent death, so one thinks that they are really doing the baby a favor by saving it from a horrible life. Sickening. It reminds my of that awful movie "Beloved" where the mother killed her children rather than have them face slavery. It is trying to make evil good. What does God and the Church tell us about those that try to do that?

"Woe to those that call evil good and good evil"

Upvote 0

a.d.ivNonasNovembres

I don't know anything
Nov 2, 2008
Wales
Visit site
✟9,612.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the mindset of "I am sacrificing my child to Artemis because a mother should have full power over life and death" is one of trying to convince yourself you are not evil.
I think its one of delighting in ones power and refusing to relinquish it completely oblivious, apathetic and possibly even slightly excited by the "evil" of it.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don't confuse two things. It is one thing to kill your children rather than have them face a life that you think is not worthwhile for them. It is deeply misguided thinking by our ethics, but it is humanly understandable. You can have sympathy for that mother.

The other is to sacrifice babies to Moloch or Baal or Artemis or Satan, with no other reason than to glorify Moloch or Baal or Artemis or Satan.

The extract from that book suggests that the author has the first thing in mind, not the second. Although she puts it in terms of "empowerment over life and death" that are obviously repugnant to us. But this is no Satanic sacrifice. It's the well-known argument for abortion - that sometimes it is necessary, and a better alternative than to let the baby live - translated into a "New Age" metaphor.

In one point it is clearly ethically superior to the usual pro-choice argument: it recognizes that this is a baby, a human life. At that point, it needs a neo-Pagan metaphor like the one that the author uses, to justify abortion! I think a.d.ivNonas Novembres is spot on: it's actually a more honest argument for abortion than the "blob of cells" one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chococat

I love Jesus and kittycats
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟10,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This book reminds me of what St Paul wrote in his letter to the Romans where he describes the evil to which people will stoop once they reject the true God in favour of pagan idols. It also shows the true face behind the new Paganism which is usually portrayed as being harmless and indeed good by the media.:mad:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.