Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When Mother Mary Concepta, S.V., found out that she would serve as the new superior general of the Sisters of Life — a community of religious women dedicated to promoting the inherent dignity and worth of every human person — she felt grateful.

“I simply give thanks to God,” she told Our Sunday Visitor of her election. “Trusting in his purposes, and leaning into the legacy of Mother Agnes, the Superior General of 30 years.”

“I hope to continue her legacy of self-forgetful love and spiritual maternity for our sisters, community and overflowing into those we serve,” she said of her predecessor, who had led the community since 1993. “It’s been an affirmation of my own gift of spiritual maternity, and now I look forward to seeing it overflow and multiply in the life of others.”

Mother Mary Concepta credits the mothers present in her own life for leading her to the Sisters of Life. In her vocation story, she reveals the formative pro-life witness of her mother, who cared for pregnant high school students, and the intercession of Mother Mary. A college friend, who became pregnant after a date rape, introduced her to the sisters after seeking their help.

One of Mother Mary Concepta’s seven siblings, Sister Mariae Agnus Dei, also joined the Sisters of Life. She tells the incredible story of how their father, an OB-GYN, became Catholic and stopped performing abortions after the relative of a patient asked him about the baby: “Was it alive?”

Continued below.