FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"God is [the] Saviour of all mankind, especially those who believe. Command this & teach this."

You will note:

1. God is not a potential Saviour: He IS Saviour.

2. He is Saviour "especially" of those who trust in Him.

3. He is not ONLY Saviour of those who trust in Him. He is Saviour of all mankind.

4. Monon= ONLY

5. Koine malista= "especially".

From Him, through Him, for Him

• Agree
Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
From eternity past God intended that the most vivid and profound demonstration of his glory would come in the form of His work of salvation on the cross of Christ.

- God then made man to punish him.

- He made him perfect and thus unlikely to ever need punishing, or, for that matter, need a Savior.

- By a happy coincidence, and against all the odds, this perfect man sinned, thus allowing God to fulfill His purposes for both the man and Christ.

- When he sinned, God, who is suddenly confronted with the prospect of being able to fulfill all of His original plans, becomes furious.

What you have just read is not a joke. I wish that it were. Rather, I have simply enumerated the points that comprise the Calvinist theological system, or, as I call it: the Happy Coincidence model of sin and salvation.

'It reflects what can only be described as an Alice-in-Wonderland reality, in which the only sense is nonsense, and logic is the enemy. This book will seek to explore some of its many logical inconsistencies and, in the process, propose a perfectly viable--and biblical--alternative.

The Calvinist Universalist | WipfandStock.com

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'It reflects what can only be described as an Alice-in-Wonderland reality, in which the only sense is nonsense, and logic is the enemy. This book will seek to explore some of its many logical inconsistencies and, in the process, propose a perfectly viable--and biblical--alternative.

The Calvinist Universalist | WipfandStock.com

FineLinen, what book are you referring to?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"Calvinist Universalist" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Have you read the book?

Dear Lazarus: I have not read the book. I know some calibre individuals who are Calvinists (not rabid), and also fully grasp the restitution of all things. The sovereign Will of all wills is a firm foundation for both.

God bless you and yours again today. These are wicked days, but the Lord of Glory is up to the challenge!

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
  • Friendly
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That could refer to 4 point Calvinist, perhaps.

Poll: Can I be a Calvinist and a Universalist?

I've read quite a bit of the book.

Jan Bonda also held to what might be termed Calvinistic Universal Salvation. He wrote a book in support of Universalism called "The One Purpose of God".

Ah! Maybe I have too fixed in my mind that "you're all going to Hell" in relation to Calvinism.

The poll choice of "Only if you have been predestined to do so" is amusing.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear Lazarus: The large ego that pervades some of those "elect", is the foundation for radical adjustment. God is the Saviour of all mankind, with that wee word "especially/malista". He is not the Saviour of ONLY/monon those who believe/trust IN Him; He is the Saviour of all mankind. Preach this & teach this.

Rev. 5.13= -Robertson N.T. Word Pictures-

Every created thing (παν κτισμα — pān ktisma). Every creature in a still wider antiphonal circle beyond the circle of angels (from κτιζω — ktizō for which see 1 Timothy 4:4; James 1:18), from all the four great fields of life (in heaven, upon the earth, under the earth as in Revelation 5:3, with on the sea επι της ταλασσης — epi tēs thalassēs added). No created thing is left out. This universal chorus of praise to Christ from all created life reminds one of the profound mystical passage in Romans 8:20-22 concerning the sympathetic agony of creation (κτισις — ktisis) in hope of freedom from the bondage of corruption. If the trail of the serpent is on all creation, it will be ultimately thrown off.

Saying (λεγοντας — legontas). Masculine (construction according to sense, personifying the created things) if genuine, though some MSS. have λεγοντα — legonta (grammatical gender agreeing with παντα— panta) present active participle of λεγω — legō to say.

And to the Lamb (και τωι αρνιωι — kai tōi arniōi). Dative case. Praise and worship are rendered to the Lamb precisely as to God on the throne. Note separate articles here in the doxology as in Revelation 4:11and the addition of το κρατος — to kratos (active power) in place of ισχυς — ischus (reserve of strength) in Revelation 5:12.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Fine Linen, your understanding of Greek is far beyond mine, but I do understand that the entire created Cosmos is to be saved and made new.

Dear brother Lazarus: My understanding of koine is most limited. I do have a dear brother who has spent over 22 years translating the N.T. in what is the Jonathan Mitchell translation. The scope of his translation is a mite overpowering but worth placing in your arsenal.

Jonathan Mitchell - Writings And New Testament Translations

What I do grasp, with you and others of like passion, is the scope of ta panta. The entire universe of the heavens, the earth, and the underworld (the entire Cosmos) is not only going to be saved, but transformed by the ONE who declares I am making all things new! That word "new" = beyond anything known before.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Rev. 5.13= -Robertson N.T. Word Pictures-

Every created thing (παν κτισμα — pān ktisma). Every creature in a still wider antiphonal circle beyond the circle of angels (from κτιζω — ktizō for which see 1 Timothy 4:4; James 1:18), from all the four great fields of life (in heaven, upon the earth, under the earth as in Revelation 5:3, with on the sea επι της ταλασσης — epi tēs thalassēs added). No created thing is left out. This universal chorus of praise to Christ from all created life reminds one of the profound mystical passage in Romans 8:20-22 concerning the sympathetic agony of creation (κτισις — ktisis) in hope of freedom from the bondage of corruption. If the trail of the serpent is on all creation, it will be ultimately thrown off.

Saying (λεγοντας — legontas). Masculine (construction according to sense, personifying the created things) if genuine, though some MSS. have λεγοντα — legonta (grammatical gender agreeing with παντα— panta) present active participle of λεγω — legō to say.

And to the Lamb (και τωι αρνιωι — kai tōi arniōi). Dative case. Praise and worship are rendered to the Lamb precisely as to God on the throne. Note separate articles here in the doxology as in Revelation 4:11and the addition of το κρατος — to kratos (active power) in place of ισχυς — ischus (reserve of strength) in Revelation 5:12.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Saviour of the World Series -J. Preston Eby- Kingdom Bible Studies: J. Preston Eby, Kingdom of God; Saviour of The World Preston Eby Testimony
through faith:
1 Peter 1:3-5 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:7  That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 

1 Peter 1:8  Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 

1 Peter 1:9  Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. 

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear Red: You will note the following word IN/EN in the koine. Not only will every knee bow IN the Name of Jesus Christ, (not "at" the sound of His Name), but in union with the Name. The worship, yes worship, is IN/EN the Name of all names, by all beings in all dimensions of creation, the heavens, the earth, & the underworld. And yes, Red, the worship is not by perfunctory genuflections!

/www.biblestudytools.com/philippians/2-10-compare.html

Robertson Word Pictures

That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow (ινα εν τωι ονοματι Ιησου παν γονυ καμπσηι— hina en tōi onomati Iēsou pan gonu kampsēi). First aorist active subjunctive of καμπτω — kamptō old verb, to bend, to bow, in purpose clause with ινα — hina Not perfunctory genuflections whenever the name of Jesus is mentioned, but universal acknowledgment of the majesty and power of Jesus who carries his human name and nature to heaven. This universal homage to Jesus is seen in Romans 8:22; Ephesians 1:20-22 and in particular Revelation 5:13.

Under the earth (καταχτονιων — katachthoniōn). Homeric adjective for departed souls, subterranean, simply the dead. Here only in the N.T.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Divine Fire

The Divine Fire

"The fire does not "begin a new regime" or alter the form of being as your author claims."

My friend: The essence of our God is Fire (also Light/Spirit/Love/Saviour). I assure you the Fire of His essence transforms everything it touches, EVERYTHING!

"Behold I make ALL things new"

New= kainos=

Strong's Greek: 2537. καινός (kainos) -- new, fresh

Kainos= Unprecedented.

Without previous instance

Never before known or experienced

Unexampled or unparalleled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Dear Red: You will note the following word IN/EN in the koine. Not only will every knee bow IN the Name of Jesus Christ, (not "at" the sound of His Name), but in union with the Name. The worship, yes worship, is IN/EN the Name of all names, by all beings in all dimensions of creation, the heavens, the earth, & the underworld. And yes, Red, the worship is not by perfunctory genuflections!
/www.biblestudytools.com/philippians/2-10-compare.html
Robertson Word Pictures That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow (ινα εν τωι ονοματι Ιησου παν γονυ καμπσηι— hina en tōi onomati Iēsou pan gonu kampsēi). First aorist active subjunctive of καμπτω — kamptō old verb, to bend, to bow, in purpose clause with ινα — hina Not perfunctory genuflections whenever the name of Jesus is mentioned, but universal acknowledgment of the majesty and power of Jesus who carries his human name and nature to heaven. This universal homage to Jesus is seen in Romans 8:22; Ephesians 1:20-22 and in particular Revelation 5:13. Under the earth (καταχτονιων — katachthoniōn). Homeric adjective for departed souls, subterranean, simply the dead. Here only in the N.T.
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Ephesians 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Revelation 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth

For the rest: Deuteronomy 7:2-4 and when the LORD your God delivers them over to you, you shall conquer them and utterly destroy them. You shall make no covenant with them nor show mercy to them.

(3) Nor shall you make marriages with them. You shall not give your daughter to their son, nor take their daughter for your son.

(4) For they will turn your sons away from following Me, to serve other gods; so the anger of the LORD will be aroused against you and destroy you suddenly.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Divine Fire

The Divine Fire

"The fire does not "begin a new regime" or alter the form of being as your author claims."

My friend: The essence of our God is Fire (also Light/Spirit/Love/Saviour). I assure you the Fire of His essence transforms everything it touches, EVERYTHING!

"Behold I make ALL things new"

New= kainos=

Strong's Greek: 2537. καινός (kainos) -- new, fresh

Kainos= Unprecedented.

Without previous instance

Never before known or experienced

Unexampled or unparalleled.
1 Peter 1:3-5 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:7  That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 

1 Peter 1:8  Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 

1 Peter 1:9  Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He-man, your M.O. is: post a verse (or list of verses). Then, after i answer them, ignore my answer & post another verse/verses. All of your verses have been addressed before.

Now, let's see, which of the verses on his list shall i answer today. How about:

Matthew 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting penalty: but the righteous into life eternal.

Let us look at this verse again:

"And these shall go away into eternal (aiōnios) punishment: but the righteous into life eternal (aiōnios)" (Mt.25:26).​

Since the structure of this verse is best described as being a "parallelism" then the Greek word aiōnios must carry with it the same meaning in both instances where it is used.

Then, by the same reasoning, the "parallel" in Rom.5:19 proves Scriptural universalism to be true:

Rom 5:18 Consequently, then, as it was through one offense for ALL MANKIND for condemnation, thus also it is through one just act for ALL MANKIND for life's justifying."

Rom 5:19 For even as, through the disobedience of the one man, THE MANY were constituted sinners, thus also, through the obedience of the One, THE MANY shall be constituted just."

1 Cor.15:22 AS in Adam ALL die SO ALSO in Christ shall ALL be made alive.

1 Cor.15:28 And when ALL shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put ALL under him, that God may be all in ALL.

Col.1:16 For by Him ***ALL*** was created that are in HEAVEN and that are on EARTH, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All was created through Him and for Him.
20 and by Him to reconcile ***ALL*** to Himself, by Him, whether on EARTH or in HEAVEN, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

And your translation of Mt.25:46 contradicts this translation of Lamentations 3:

Lam.3:31 For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:
32 For if He causes grief, Then He will have compassion According to His abundant lovingkindness. 33 For He does not afflict willingly Or grieve the SONS OF MEN.

While these translations of Mt.25:46 are in harmony with all the verses above i have posted:

The New Testament: A Translation, by Eastern Orthodox scholar David Bentley Hart, 2017, Yale Press):
"And these shall go to the chastening of that Age, but the just to the life of that Age."

Translation of the New Testament from the Original Greek Humbly Attempted by Nathaniel Scarlett Assisted by Men of Piety & Literature with notes, 1798:
"And These will go away into onian punishment: but the righteous into onian life."

The New Testament by Abner Kneeland, 1823:
"And these shall go away into aionian punishment*: but the righteous into aionian life."

The New Covenant by Dr. J.W. Hanson, 1884:
"And these shall go away into onian chastisement, and the just into onian life."

Youngs Literal Translation of the Holy Bible, 1898:
"And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during."

The Holy Bible in Modern English, 1903
"And these He will dismiss into a long correction, but the well-doers to an enduring life."

The New Testament in Modern Speech, 1910:
"And these shall go away into the Punishment 1 of the Ages, but the righteous into the Life 1 of the Ages."
1. [Of the Ages] Greek "aeonian."

A Critical Paraphrase of the New Testament by Vincent T. Roth, 1960
"And these shall go away into age-continuing punishment, but the righteous into life age-continuing."

The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, 1976
"And these shall go away into age-abiding *correction, but the righteous into **age-abiding life."

The Twentieth Century New Testament, 1900
"And these last will go away into onian punishment, but the righteous into onian life."

The People's New Covenant, 1925
"And these will depart into age-continuing correction, but the righteous, into age-continuing life."

Emphatic Diaglott, 1942 edition
"And these shall go forth to the aionian 1 cutting-off; but the RIGHTEOUS to aionian Life."

The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed, 1958
"And these shall go away into agelasting cutting-off and the just into agelasting life."

The New Testament, a Translation, 1938
"And these will go away into eonian correction, but the righteous into eonian life."

The New Testament, A New Translation, 1980
"Then they will begin to serve a new period of suffering; but God's faithful will enter upon their heavenly life."

Concordant Literal New Testament, 1983
And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian."

Rotherham Emphasized Bible, 1959
"And these shall go away into age-abiding correction, But the righteous into age-abiding life."

Jonathan Mitchell N.T. Translation:
"46. "And so, these folks will be going off into an eonian pruning (a lopping-off which lasts for an undetermined length of time; an age-lasting correction; a pruning which has its source and character in the Age), yet the fair and just folks who are in right relationship and are in accord with the Way pointed out [go off] into eonian life (life which has it source and character in the Age; life pertaining to the Age)."
::Jonathan Mitchell's New Testament Translation::

"....the Old Syriac Version [i.e., the Peshi^to], where the one [i.e., uniform] rendering is still more unmistakably clear: ‘These shall go away to the pain of the olam, and these to the life of the olam’–the world to come.” History of Opinions on the Scriptural Doctrine of Retribution: The Peshito

"Of the New Testament, attempts at translation must have been made very early, and among the ancient versions of New Testament Scripture the Syriac in all likelihood is the earliest."
Syriac Versions of the Bible, by Thomas Nicol

"The Peshi^to is, as we have said, the earliest version of the New Testament. Its value and authority it is not easy to over-estimate. Westcott says: “Gregory Bar Hebraeus, one of the most learned and accurate of Syrian writers, relates that the New Testament Peshi^to was ‘made in the time of Thaddeus (the apostle), and Abgarus, King of Edessa,’ when, according to the universal opinion of ancient writers, the apostle went to proclaim Christianity in Mesopotamia” (Canon, p. 259). He adds that Gregory assumes the apostolic origin of the New Testament Peshi^ito as certain, and that it preceded all the sects of the Syrian Church, and was received and appealed to by all."

"How, then, was aionios translated by this version? In support of his own translation Prof. Tayler Lewis says, “So is it ever (translated) in the old Syriac version, where the one rendering is still more unmistakably clear.” “These shall go into the pain of the Olam (the world to come), and these to the life of the Olam (the world to come).” He refers to many other passages, as Matt. xix. 16; Mark x. 17.; Luke xviii. 18; John iii.15: Acts xiii. 46; 1 Tim. vi. 12, in which aionios is rendered belonging to the Olam, the world to come."
History of Opinions on the Scriptural Doctrine of Retribution: The Peshito

Unique Proof For Christian, Biblical Universalism

75 UR verses + 100 proofs + 150 reasons etc:
Web Online Help

213 Questions Without Answers:
Questions Without Answers

• Winner
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He-man, your M.O. is: post a verse (or list of verses). Then, after i answer them, ignore my answer & post another verse/verses. All of your verses have been addressed before.
Now, let's see, which of the verses on his list shall i answer today. How about:
And your translation of Mt.25:46 contradicts this translation of Lamentations 3:
Lam.3:31 For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:
32 For if He causes grief, Then He will have compassion According to His abundant lovingkindness. 33 For He does not afflict willingly Or grieve the SONS OF MEN.[/quote] While these translations of Mt.25:46 are in harmony with all the verses above i have posted:
The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed, 1958
"And these shall go away into agelasting cutting-off and the just into agelasting life."The New Testament, a Translation, 1938
"And these will go away into eonian correction, but the righteous into eonian life."
The New Testament, A New Translation, 1980
"Then they will begin to serve a new period of suffering; but God's faithful will enter upon their heavenly life." 213 Questions Without Answers:
Try to Get it right:
Lamentations 3:25 The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
31 For the Lord will not cast off for ever
Here is your answer: You are correct it is everlasting punishment and that is the penalty they will pay: NCV Those people will be punished with a destruction that continues forever. They will be kept away from the Lord and from his great power.

(Darby) who shall pay the penalty of everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his might,
9 οἵτινες δίκην τίσουσιν ὄλεθρον αἰώνιον ἀπὸ προσώπου τοῦ κυρίου καὶ ἀπὸ τῆς δόξης τῆς ἰσχύος αὐτοῦ,

AMP These people will pay the penalty and endure the punishment of everlasting destruction, banished from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

AMPC Such people will pay the penalty and suffer the punishment of everlasting ruin (destruction and perdition) and eternal exclusion and banishment from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

CSB They will pay the penalty of eternal destruction from the Lord’s presence and from his glorious strength

CEB They will pay the penalty of eternal destruction away from the Lord’s presence and away from his mighty glory.

DLNT who will pay the penalty: eternal destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His strength,

EHV Such people will receive a just penalty: eternal destruction away from the presence of the Lord and from his glorious strength,

GW They will pay the penalty by being destroyed forever, by being separated from the Lord’s presence and from his glorious power.

HCSB These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction from the Lord’s presence and from His glorious strength

LEB who will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his strength,

NOG They will pay the penalty by being destroyed forever, by being separated from the Lord’s presence and from his glorious power.

NABRE These will pay the penalty of eternal ruin, separated from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power,

NASB These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

NET They will undergo the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his strength,

NTE They will pay the penalty of eternal destruction from the face of the Lord and from the glory of his power,

OJB These are the ones who will pay an Onesh of Avaddon Olam (Eternal Destruction [Gehinnom]) away from the Shechinah of Hashem UMEHADAR GE’ONO ("and from the splendor of his majesty" YESHAYAH 2:19),

TPT They will suffer the penalty of eternal destruction, banished from the Lord’s presence and from the manifestation of his glorious power.

TLV They will pay the price of eternal ruin, away from the presence of the Lord and the glory of His power—

VOICE And what’s to become of them? They’ll pay for what they’ve done; their punishment will be eternal destruction. And what’s worse? They’ll be banished from the Lord’s presence and glorious power.

WEB who will pay the penalty: eternal destruction from the face of the Lord and from the glory of his might

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.