The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
“"And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God; but he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭12:8-10‬ ‭NASB‬‬
This verse was written with the understanding which you apparently do not share with those of the NT of that day/age in which it was written. The implication of your Luke quote simply pertains to two ages, and not ETERNITY as is falsely taught by the apostate church to come, and passed down to this day.

MAT 12:32 And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

A verse which was written AFTER those above was this one;

EPH 2:7 that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

So as you can plainly see, you are limiting the saving "grace in kindness" to an eternity when scripture simply disagrees.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
• Jesus Appears to His Disciples

Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive The Holy Spirit. If You Forgive The Sins Of Any, They Are Forgiven Them; If You Retain The Sins Of Any, They Are Retained."

• John 20:19-23

And those here, who are led of the Spirit of truth, would have you to know that whosoever sins YOU DON"T forgive YOU WILL bear the judgment that comes with "FORGIVE OR YOU WILL NOT BE FORGIVEN." And 'not being forgiven' seems to apply more to you and the 'church' that taught you wrongly concerning this verse.

Also you never were taught the nuances of the Greek words for "receive". There are two of them; decomai and lambano. The verse you quote above has nothing to do with the disciples receiving/getting the Holy Spirit then. He was not to be given until Pentecost. This verse was a prophetic word from Jesus preparing them to hear the rushing mighty wind ("he breathed/Gr. blew on them") before they received/lambano the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. The fulfillment of what Jesus prophesied.

The truth of this is also shown to those at Samaria who had "received/decomai" the word of their salvation and were water baptized by Phillip. Something done by Phillip long before they "received/lambano" the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

ACT 8:14 Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received/decomai the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive/lambano the Holy Spirit;

Study to show thyself approved in something you know not of. No one else has ever proved this to be wrong.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And those here, who are led of the Spirit of truth, would have you to know that whosoever sins YOU DON"T forgive YOU WILL bear the judgment that comes with "FORGIVE OR YOU WILL NOT BE FORGIVEN." And 'not being forgiven' seems to apply more to you and the 'church' that taught you wrongly concerning this verse.

Also you never were taught the nuances of the Greek words for "receive". There are two of them; decomai and lambano. The verse you quote above has nothing to do with the disciples receiving/getting the Holy Spirit then. He was not to be given until Pentecost. This verse was a prophetic word from Jesus preparing them to hear the rushing mighty wind ("he breathed/Gr. blew on them") before they received/lambano the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. The fulfillment of what Jesus prophesied.

The truth of this is also shown to those at Samaria who had "received/decomai" the word of their salvation and were water baptized by Phillip. Something done by Phillip long before they "received/lambano" the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

ACT 8:14 Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received/decomai the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive/lambano the Holy Spirit;

Study to show thyself approved in something you know not of. No one else has ever proved this to be wrong.

Jesus gave The Disciples the authority to forgive sins.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

• Agree
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This verse was written with the understanding which you apparently do not share with those of the NT of that day/age in which it was written. The implication of your Luke quote simply pertains to two ages, and not ETERNITY as is falsely taught by the apostate church to come, and passed down to this day.

MAT 12:32 And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

A verse which was written AFTER those above was this one;

EPH 2:7 that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

So as you can plainly see, you are limiting the saving "grace in kindness" to an eternity when scripture simply disagrees.

The term can also mean never. What you are implying is that Luke made a mistake in saying that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven and that it will be forgiven at a later time. This is contradicting what the scriptures actually say. Both of the parallel gospels support what Luke stated when viewed in the same context as the term can also mean it will never be forgiven. Universalism has been refuted by the earliest church writings like for example Adversus Haereses written by St Iranaeus in 180AD. The church has never supported universalism.

Your quote of Ephesians 2:7 is again taken out of context because who did Paul say the immeasurable riches of His grace will be given to? He says to us which is referring to those who are saved and abiding in Christ. Paul has made it very clear that he is writing to those who are children of God, not to unbelievers.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Universalism has been refuted by the earliest church writings like for example Adversus Haereses written by St Iranaeus in 180AD. The church has never supported universalism.

Dear BNR: Is that a fact? Perhaps you should examine your statement in the light of the following>>>

Universalism: The Prevailing Doctrine of the Christian Church During Its First Five Hundred Years

"In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six known theological schools, of which four (Alexandria… Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is unknown.”

Schaff, Phillip, The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge – Vol 12, Baker Book House, 1950

The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, Vol XIII: Index - TOC

The Beautiful Heresy

The Beautiful Heresy- Christian Universalism: The Early Church

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The term can also mean never. What you are implying is that Luke made a mistake in saying that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven and that it will be forgiven at a later time. This is contradicting what the scriptures actually say. Both of the parallel gospels support what Luke stated when viewed in the same context as the term can also mean it will never be forgiven.
Of course the 'term can mean never', that doesn't affect my position at all. Your post did nothing to explain the verses I quoted, verses which balances and then refutes the very foundation you're theology is standing on. This is common among those whose minds are fully 'indoctrinated' to their belief system, no matter how right OR WRONG we all may be.

And NO!, I'm saying Luke got it right, you understand it wrong. You understand it through the lenses of indoctrinated thinking from the apostate theology of religious men. I know because I was bound by the very same thinking you now have, until the Spirit of truth revealed, a more excellent way. The very thing that scripture warned the Jews of in the NT, the church became guilty of.

MAT 15:7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Universalism has been refuted by the earliest church writings like for example Adversus Haereses written by St Iranaeus in 180AD. The church has never supported universalism.
EDIT; I see that Fine Linen already quoted the 6 schools of history which you never heard about in the apostate theology that came 'after'.

But suffice it, to let me say this; all your post proves is that Haereses was an early day minority believer in ETERNAL PURPOSELESS TORTURE as espoused by the religious spirit which led to the great apostasy a couple of centuries later.

Your quote of Ephesians 2:7 is again taken out of context because who did Paul say the immeasurable riches of His grace will be given to? He says to us which is referring to those who are saved and abiding in Christ. Paul has made it very clear that he is writing to those who are children of God, not to unbelievers.
Again it is you who plumbs the shallow depth of scripture. He has shown me, the salvation which He WILL show unto them in the ages to come. ALL to whom He did not show it to in this age. I have salvation and I'm saved, OSAS and if you aren't saved then quit telling people you are going to be saved with the grace salvation He has already manifested in this age. Your theology isn't consistent and consistency is a jewel to be sought for concerning the things of God and the Holy Spirit of TRUTH.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
When Jesus spoke of God’s judgment upon the wicked, he did so with words that implied a limited, corrective punishment.

Specifically, he referred to divine judgment as aionios kolasis , meaning age-long chastisement. The idea was that a person who turns away from God and lives a life of evil will have to face justice — a purgatorial period in the afterlife — before enjoying eventual harmonious reunion with God.

Jesus explicitly declared that after his death on the cross and resurrection, he will “draw all people to myself.” (John 12:32).

This hopeful promise was echoed by the teaching of the Apostles who founded the Christian ecclesia. For example, St. Peter taught that Jesus ministers to the disobedient sinners from the days of Noah to bring them to zao life and transformation.

“We all must die and are like water spilled on the ground that cannot be gathered up again, but the Lord does not take away life, instead He devises ways for the banished to be restored.”

The risen Christ preaches to the dead

“Christ also has once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: by which also he went and preached to the spirits in prison; which once were disobedient, when once the long suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was in preparation, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water… for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.”

"Who shall render an account unto him who is holding in readiness to judge living and dead; for, unto this end, even unto the dead, was the glad-message delivered,—in order that they might be judged, indeed, according to men in flesh, but might live according to God in spirit." -Rotherham Emphasized-

Dead=

nekros= a corpse (from nekus)=

Breathed his last/ lifeless.

Deceased/ departed.

Destitute of life/ without life.

Inanimate.

Disobedient= apeitheo=

Not to allow one’s self to be persuaded.

To refuse or withhold belief & obedience.

To refuse belief and obedience.

Not to comply with.

Live= zao=

To be alive with resurrection life.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course the 'term can mean never', that doesn't affect my position at all. Your post did nothing to explain the verses I quoted, verses which balances and then refutes the very foundation you're theology is standing on. This is common among those whose minds are fully 'indoctrinated' to their belief system, no matter how right OR WRONG we all may be.

And NO!, I'm saying Luke got it right, you understand it wrong. You understand it through the lenses of indoctrinated thinking from the apostate theology of religious men. I know because I was bound by the very same thinking you now have, until the Spirit of truth revealed, a more excellent way. The very thing that scripture warned the Jews of in the NT, the church became guilty of.

MAT 15:7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

EDIT; I see that Fine Linen already quoted the 6 schools of history which you never heard about in the apostate theology that came 'after'.

But suffice it, to let me say this; all your post proves is that Haereses was an early day minority believer in ETERNAL PURPOSELESS TORTURE as espoused by the religious spirit which led to the great apostasy a couple of centuries later.

Again it is you who plumbs the shallow depth of scripture. He has shown me, the salvation which He WILL show unto them in the ages to come. ALL to whom He did not show it to in this age. I have salvation and I'm saved, OSAS and if you aren't saved then quit telling people you are going to be saved with the grace salvation He has already manifested in this age. Your theology isn't consistent and consistency is a jewel to be sought for concerning the things of God and the Holy Spirit of TRUTH.

Wow ok let’s examine this closely. So far you haven’t said anything to explain how universalism doesn’t contradict Luke 12:10. All you’ve done is basically say that I’m wrong in a complete vacuum apart from quoting Matthew 15:7 out of context. What was Jesus referring to when He said this statement in Matthew 15:7? He was referring to the Pharisees asking Him why He is breaking the Jewish traditions and Jesus’ reply was to emphasize that the washing of hands was not a commandment of God but a tradition of men. This has absolutely nothing to do with our conversation of universalism. No back to Luke 12:10, are you suggesting that people enter heaven with unforgiven sins, because that’s the only way universalism can work if Luke specifically said that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven and you agree that what Luke said is in fact correct.

My post did nothing to explain the verses you quoted? You just agreed that Greek term used also refers to never as Mark 3:29, another parallel verse specifically says such a person will never be forgiven and the consequences of this sin are eternal.

Then you tried to use Ephesians 2:7 to indicate that in the ages to come God will extend the riches of His grace to everyone. I explained that Paul said God will extend the riches of His grace to us not everyone, so who is us referring to? Throughout Ephesians 2 Paul is expressing how saved the Ephesians are even going so far as to say they are of God’s household which means they are adopted children of God. It’s no secret that God will extend grace to His children but this in no way implies that His grace will be extended to everyone both believers and unbelievers. So yes I did address the verses you quoted. So now it’s your turn please explain how Luke 12:10 doesn’t contradict universalism. How these people who will not be forgiven will enter heaven.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear BNR: Is that a fact? Perhaps you should examine your statement in the light of the following>>>

Universalism: The Prevailing Doctrine of the Christian Church During Its First Five Hundred Years

"In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six known theological schools, of which four (Alexandria… Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is unknown.”

Schaff, Phillip, The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge – Vol 12, Baker Book House, 1950

The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, Vol XIII: Index - TOC

The Beautiful Heresy

I will have to look into this later as I’m at work now and most likely won’t have enough time to examine it on my lunch break.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That's all the depth you give with your quote of that scripture???? Why did you even post that scripture which you have now proven you don't even understand the depths of as Steven and I have both shown?

The 'topic' is UR/UNI, So do you think people go to heaven because WE forgive their temporal sins against us?

As a disciple of Christ I too FORGIVE sinners their sins against me. Therefore I "judge so that I may not be judged" holding their sin against them. You judge that they will never be forgiven for any of their sins. And, worse yet, that they will endlessly be tortured and with no eternal purpose (other than God apparently being more sadistic than any human ever could temporally be).

Therefore you do not believe, as we do, in the BIBLICAL noun "PUNISHMENT". You only believe in the lying.....and NONBIBLICAL...verb of eternal PUNISHING. Which is a false judgment in our theology.

And then, add to this the false definition of the Greek word aionios by Augustine. An interpretation which he made, to make it line up with the replacement Latin word which supported the false doctrine espoused by the now apostate orthodox church.

A replacement WORD to support a replacement THEOLOGY.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Beautiful Heresy

Ok I just scanned thru your link to “the beautiful heresy” and it gives absolutely no proof of any of its claims. It makes several claims of early church fathers writings supporting universalism and yet not a single quote from any of them. How is this supposed to be helpful if it only makes empty claims and doesn’t provide any evidence to support these claims?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ok I just scanned thru your link to “the beautiful heresy” and it gives absolutely no proof of any of its claims. It makes several claims of early church fathers writings supporting universalism and yet not a single quote from any of them. How is this supposed to be helpful if it only makes empty claims and doesn’t provide any evidence to support these claims?

Dear BNR: Your original post is incorrect!

"Universalism has been refuted by the earliest church writings like for example Adversus Haereses written by St Iranaeus in 180AD. The church has never supported universalism."

Keep scanning, my friend!

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Answering this is easy compared to chasing you around your theological bush in the last post....I'm not gonna do that BN.

But, here "READ THEM AND "THINK"....not "WEAP". There are a couple of pages more, if you really want them.

Irenaeus: (130 to about 200 A.D.) “Bishop of Lyons.” His nearness to the apostles makes his testimony most interesting. Irenaeus did not believe evil would last forever. In his treatise Against Heretics, he wrote in Book III, chap. 23, §6:”(1) Wherefore also He drove him (Adam) out of Paradise, and removed him far from the tree of life, not because He envied him the tree of life, as some dare to assert, but because He pitied him and desired that he should not continue always a sinner, and that the sin which surrounded him should not be immortal, and the evil interminable and irremediable.—Irenaeus.

Theophilus, (160-181 A.D.) “Bishop of Antioch.” (3) And God showed great kindness to man in this, that He did not suffer him to continue being in sin forever; but, as it were by a kind of banishment, cast him out of Paradise, in order that, having by punishment expiated within an appointed time the sin, and having been disciplined, he should afterward be recalled.—Theophilus. To Autolycus, Book 2, chap. 26.

Clement of Alexandria, (190 A.D.) “Head of the catechetical school there. He speaks of having learned from a disciple of the Apostles.—Strom. lib. ii. His wide and various learning, and his sympathetic spirit combine to give special weight to his teaching.” (5) All men are Christ’s, some by knowing Him, the rest not yet. He is the Savior, not of some (only) and of the rest not (i.e., He is actually Savior of all) for how is He Lord and Savior if He is not Lord and Savior of all? But He is indeed Savior of those who believe...while of those who do not believe He is Lord, until having become able to confess Him, they obtain through Him the benefit appropriate and suitable (to their case). He by the Father’s will directs the salvation of all for all things have been ordered, both universally and in part, by the Lord of the universe; with a view to the salvation of the universe....But needful correction, by the goodness of the great overseeing Judge, through (by means of) the attendant angels, through various prior judgments, through the final (pantelous) judgment, compels even those who have become still more callous to repent.—Clement. Strom. lib. vii. pp. 702-6, Cologne, 1688.

Origen, (185-254 A.D.) “Pupil and successor of Clement of Alexandria, founded a school at Caesarea...the greatest theologian and exegete of the Eastern Church.” (7) But he that despises the purification of the word of God and the doctrine of the Gospel only keeps himself for dreadful and penal purifications afterward; that so the fire of hell may purge him in torments whom neither apostolical doctrine nor gospel preaching has cleansed, according to that which is written of being “purified by fire.” But how long this purification which is wrought out by penal fire shall endure, or for how many periods or ages it shall torment sinners, He only knows to whom all judgment is committed by the Father.—Origen. Commentary on Rom., Book 8, Chap. 11.

Eusebius of Caesarea, (265-340 A.D.) “Bishop of Caesarea in Palestine; friend of Constantine; the greatest of the early Church historians, wrote on Ps. 2:” (9) “The Son’s ‘breaking in pieces’ His enemies is for the sake of remolding them, as a potter his own work; as Jer. xviii. 6, says: i.e., to restore them once more to their former state.”–Eusebius. De eccles. theol. iii. 16.

Athanasius, (296-373 A.D.) “Called ‘the Great,’ ‘Father of Orthodoxy,’ ‘Pillar of Orthodoxy;’ Bishop of Alexandria and writer of many works; especially noted for defending the deity of our Lord.” (11) “While the devil thought to kill one he is deprived of all cast out of Hades, and sitting by the gates, sees all the fettered beings led forth by the courage of the Savior.”—Athanasius. De pass. et cruce Darn.

Gregory Nazianzen, (330-390 A.D.) “President of the second great Ecumenical Council, was considered the most learned bishop in one of the most learned ages of the Church.” (13) “Until He loosed by His blood all who groan under Tartarean chains.”—Carm. xxxv. (ed. Lyons, 1840.) “Today salvation has been brought to the universe to whatsoever is visible and whatsoever is invisible...(today) the gates of Hades are thrown open.”—Or. xlii. “Adam receives death as a gain, and (thereby) the cutting off of sin; that evil should not be immortal: and so the vengeance turns out a kindness, for thus I am of opinion it is that God punishes.”—Nazianzen. Orat. xli

Ambrose, (340-397 A.D.) “Bishop of Milan; converted Augustine by his preaching; the Father of Latin hymnology; reproduced many of the writings of the Greek Fathers.” (15) The mystery of the Incarnation is the salvation of the entire creation...as it is elsewhere said, “the whole creation shall be set free from the bondage of corruption”....So the Son of Man came to save that which was lost, i.e., all, for as in Adam all die, so, too, in Christ shall all be made alive. The subjection of Christ consists not in few, but in all (becoming obedient)...Christ will be subject to God in us by means of the obedience of all...(then) when vices having been cast away, and sin reduced to submission, one spirit of all people, in one sentiment, shall with one accord begin to cleave to God, then God will be All in All.—Ambrose. De fide lib. v. 7.

Didymus, (380 A.D.) “The last distinguished head of the school of Alexandria, Didymus, surpassed all of his day in knowledge of the Scriptures.” says S. Jerome. He argues, “divine correction (even vengeance), and promise, have the same object in view.”—Adv. Man. ch. xviii. (17) Also “God ‘destroys liars, so far as they are liars.’—In Ps. v. 6. [Christ] ‘descends to Hades and brings back the souls, there detained on account of their sins.’”—Didymus. In Ps. lxxi. 20. See, too, De Trin. lib. iii 21, &c.

Gregory of Nyssa, (332-398 A.D.) “A leading theologian of the Eastern Church and one of the most prominent figures in the second great Church Council which practically established the orthodoxy of the Nicene Creed.” (19) The Divine judgment does not as its chief object cause pain to those who have sinned, but works good alone by separating from evil, and drawing to a share in blessedness. But this severance of good from evil causes the pain (of the judgment). In other words, the penalty is the cure; it is merely the unavoidable pain attending the removal of the intruding element of sin.—Gregory. Dialogue of the Soul and Resurrection.

Jerome, (340-420 A.D.) “Devoted to Scripture study; revised the old Latin translations and translated the Old Testament from Hebrew into Latin of the New Testament. Allin stated he found nearly 100 passages in his works indicating Jerome sympathized with the ‘larger hope.’” (21) “When the Psalmist says, ‘Your enemies, O God, shall perish,’...every man who has been Your enemy shall hereafter be made Your friend; the man shall not perish, the enemy shall perish.”—Jerome. In Ps. xcii. 9.

Hillary, (354 A.D.) “Hillary, Bishop of Poictiers, is considered one of the champions of orthodoxy.” (23) “The whole human race, who are one, are the one lost sheep, which is destined to be found by the Good Shepherd.”—Hillary.

Titus, (364 A.D.) “Bishop of Bostra. Caillou, describes as ‘the most learned among the learned bishops of his age, and a most famous champion of the truth.’ S. Jerome reckons him as one of those, in whom you are at a loss whether to admire most, their learning or their knowledge of Holy Scripture.” (25) The very pit itself is a place of torments and of chastisement, but is not eternal. It was made that it might be a medicine and help to those who sin. Sacred are the stripes which are medicine to those who have sinned. “Therefore we do not complain of the pits (of hell)—abyssis—but rather know that they are places of torment, and chastisement, being for the correction (amendment of those who have sinned.”—Titus Adv. Man. lib. i. 32.

Diodorus, (378 A.D.) “Bishop of Tarsus...noted for untiring zeal in defense of the Nicene Faith.” (27) “For the wicked there are punishments not perpetual...according to the amount of malice in their works....The Resurrection, therefore, is regarded as a blessing not only to the good but also to the evil.”—Diodorus. ASSEM. Bibl. Or. iii. p. 324. (28) Theodore of Mopsuestia, (407 A.D.) “The crown and climax of the school of Antioch...called the ‘Master of the East’ from his theological eminence.” Dorner. ( Pers. of Christ, i. 50). (29) “Who is so great a fool as to think, that so great a blessing can be to those that arise, the occasion of endless torment?”—Frag. Ex. lib. cont. pecc. orig. “All have the hope of rising with Christ, so that the body having obtained immortality, thenceforward the proclivity to evil should be removed.” [God] “recapitulated all things in Christ...as though making a compendious renewal, and restoration of the whole creation, through Him....Now this will take place in a future age, when all mankind and all powers (virtues) possessed of reason, look up to Him, as is right, and obtain mutual concord and firm peace.”—Theodore. In Eph. i. 10

Cyril of Alexandria, (412 A.D.) “He (Cyril) describes Christ as having spoiled Hades, and ‘left the devil there solitary and deserted.’—Hom. Pasch. vii. And again, ‘Christ, wandering down even to Hades, has emptied the dark, hidden, unseen treasuries.’”—Glaphy in Gen. lib ii. (31) “For when death devoured Him who was the Lamb on behalf of all, it vomited forth all men in Him and with Him....Now when sin has been destroyed, how should it be but that death, too, should wholly perish?”—Cyril. In S. Jno. i. 29.

Maximus of Turin, (422 A.D.) “Christ carried off to heaven man whose cause He undertook, snatched from the jaws of Hades mankind.”—Maximus. In Pent. Horn. ii.

Theodoret, (423 A.D.) “Bishop of Cyrus...perhaps the most famous, and certainly the most learned teacher of his age; uniting to a noble intellect a character and accomplishments equally noble.” (34) “After His anger, God will bring to an end His judgment; for He will not be angry unto the end, nor keep His wrath to eternity.”—Theodoret. In Is. xiii. (35) “He shews here the reason for punishment, for the Lord, the lover of men, torments us only to cure us, that He may put a stop to the course of our iniquity.”—Theodoret. Hom in Ezech. cap. Vi. vers 6.

Peter Chrysologus, (433 A.D.) “Bishop of Ravenna.” (37) On the parable of the hundred sheep he said, “That the one lost sheep represents ‘the whole human race lost in Adam,’ and so the Good Shepherd ‘follows the one, seeks the one, in order that in the one He may find all, in the one He may restore all.’”—Chrysologus. Ser. clxviii.

READ THEM ALL IF YOU'RE REALLY SEEKING THE TRUTH.....I DID...WHEN I WAS....'SEEKING' THAT IS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Answering this is easy compared to chasing you around your theological bush in the last post....I'm not gonna do that BN.

But, here "READ THEM AND "THINK"....not "WEAP". There are a couple of pages more, if you really want them.

Irenaeus: (130 to about 200 A.D.) “Bishop of Lyons.” His nearness to the apostles makes his testimony most interesting. Irenaeus did not believe evil would last forever. In his treatise Against Heretics, he wrote in Book III, chap. 23, §6:”(1) Wherefore also He drove him (Adam) out of Paradise, and removed him far from the tree of life, not because He envied him the tree of life, as some dare to assert, but because He pitied him and desired that he should not continue always a sinner, and that the sin which surrounded him should not be immortal, and the evil interminable and irremediable.—Irenaeus.

Theophilus, (160-181 A.D.) “Bishop of Antioch.” (3) And God showed great kindness to man in this, that He did not suffer him to continue being in sin forever; but, as it were by a kind of banishment, cast him out of Paradise, in order that, having by punishment expiated within an appointed time the sin, and having been disciplined, he should afterward be recalled.—Theophilus. To Autolycus, Book 2, chap. 26.

Clement of Alexandria, (190 A.D.) “Head of the catechetical school there. He speaks of having learned from a disciple of the Apostles.—Strom. lib. ii. His wide and various learning, and his sympathetic spirit combine to give special weight to his teaching.” (5) All men are Christ’s, some by knowing Him, the rest not yet. He is the Savior, not of some (only) and of the rest not (i.e., He is actually Savior of all) for how is He Lord and Savior if He is not Lord and Savior of all? But He is indeed Savior of those who believe...while of those who do not believe He is Lord, until having become able to confess Him, they obtain through Him the benefit appropriate and suitable (to their case). He by the Father’s will directs the salvation of all for all things have been ordered, both universally and in part, by the Lord of the universe; with a view to the salvation of the universe....But needful correction, by the goodness of the great overseeing Judge, through (by means of) the attendant angels, through various prior judgments, through the final (pantelous) judgment, compels even those who have become still more callous to repent.—Clement. Strom. lib. vii. pp. 702-6, Cologne, 1688.

Origen, (185-254 A.D.) “Pupil and successor of Clement of Alexandria, founded a school at Caesarea...the greatest theologian and exegete of the Eastern Church.” (7) But he that despises the purification of the word of God and the doctrine of the Gospel only keeps himself for dreadful and penal purifications afterward; that so the fire of hell may purge him in torments whom neither apostolical doctrine nor gospel preaching has cleansed, according to that which is written of being “purified by fire.” But how long this purification which is wrought out by penal fire shall endure, or for how many periods or ages it shall torment sinners, He only knows to whom all judgment is committed by the Father.—Origen. Commentary on Rom., Book 8, Chap. 11.

Eusebius of Caesarea, (265-340 A.D.) “Bishop of Caesarea in Palestine; friend of Constantine; the greatest of the early Church historians, wrote on Ps. 2:” (9) “The Son’s ‘breaking in pieces’ His enemies is for the sake of remolding them, as a potter his own work; as Jer. xviii. 6, says: i.e., to restore them once more to their former state.”–Eusebius. De eccles. theol. iii. 16.

Athanasius, (296-373 A.D.) “Called ‘the Great,’ ‘Father of Orthodoxy,’ ‘Pillar of Orthodoxy;’ Bishop of Alexandria and writer of many works; especially noted for defending the deity of our Lord.” (11) “While the devil thought to kill one he is deprived of all cast out of Hades, and sitting by the gates, sees all the fettered beings led forth by the courage of the Savior.”—Athanasius. De pass. et cruce Darn.

Gregory Nazianzen, (330-390 A.D.) “President of the second great Ecumenical Council, was considered the most learned bishop in one of the most learned ages of the Church.” (13) “Until He loosed by His blood all who groan under Tartarean chains.”—Carm. xxxv. (ed. Lyons, 1840.) “Today salvation has been brought to the universe to whatsoever is visible and whatsoever is invisible...(today) the gates of Hades are thrown open.”—Or. xlii. “Adam receives death as a gain, and (thereby) the cutting off of sin; that evil should not be immortal: and so the vengeance turns out a kindness, for thus I am of opinion it is that God punishes.”—Nazianzen. Orat. xli

Ambrose, (340-397 A.D.) “Bishop of Milan; converted Augustine by his preaching; the Father of Latin hymnology; reproduced many of the writings of the Greek Fathers.” (15) The mystery of the Incarnation is the salvation of the entire creation...as it is elsewhere said, “the whole creation shall be set free from the bondage of corruption”....So the Son of Man came to save that which was lost, i.e., all, for as in Adam all die, so, too, in Christ shall all be made alive. The subjection of Christ consists not in few, but in all (becoming obedient)...Christ will be subject to God in us by means of the obedience of all...(then) when vices having been cast away, and sin reduced to submission, one spirit of all people, in one sentiment, shall with one accord begin to cleave to God, then God will be All in All.—Ambrose. De fide lib. v. 7.

Didymus, (380 A.D.) “The last distinguished head of the school of Alexandria, Didymus, surpassed all of his day in knowledge of the Scriptures.” says S. Jerome. He argues, “divine correction (even vengeance), and promise, have the same object in view.”—Adv. Man. ch. xviii. (17) Also “God ‘destroys liars, so far as they are liars.’—In Ps. v. 6. [Christ] ‘descends to Hades and brings back the souls, there detained on account of their sins.’”—Didymus. In Ps. lxxi. 20. See, too, De Trin. lib. iii 21, &c.

Gregory of Nyssa, (332-398 A.D.) “A leading theologian of the Eastern Church and one of the most prominent figures in the second great Church Council which practically established the orthodoxy of the Nicene Creed.” (19) The Divine judgment does not as its chief object cause pain to those who have sinned, but works good alone by separating from evil, and drawing to a share in blessedness. But this severance of good from evil causes the pain (of the judgment). In other words, the penalty is the cure; it is merely the unavoidable pain attending the removal of the intruding element of sin.—Gregory. Dialogue of the Soul and Resurrection.

Jerome, (340-420 A.D.) “Devoted to Scripture study; revised the old Latin translations and translated the Old Testament from Hebrew into Latin of the New Testament. Allin stated he found nearly 100 passages in his works indicating Jerome sympathized with the ‘larger hope.’” (21) “When the Psalmist says, ‘Your enemies, O God, shall perish,’...every man who has been Your enemy shall hereafter be made Your friend; the man shall not perish, the enemy shall perish.”—Jerome. In Ps. xcii. 9.

Hillary, (354 A.D.) “Hillary, Bishop of Poictiers, is considered one of the champions of orthodoxy.” (23) “The whole human race, who are one, are the one lost sheep, which is destined to be found by the Good Shepherd.”—Hillary.

Titus, (364 A.D.) “Bishop of Bostra. Caillou, describes as ‘the most learned among the learned bishops of his age, and a most famous champion of the truth.’ S. Jerome reckons him as one of those, in whom you are at a loss whether to admire most, their learning or their knowledge of Holy Scripture.” (25) The very pit itself is a place of torments and of chastisement, but is not eternal. It was made that it might be a medicine and help to those who sin. Sacred are the stripes which are medicine to those who have sinned. “Therefore we do not complain of the pits (of hell)—abyssis—but rather know that they are places of torment, and chastisement, being for the correction (amendment of those who have sinned.”—Titus Adv. Man. lib. i. 32.

Diodorus, (378 A.D.) “Bishop of Tarsus...noted for untiring zeal in defense of the Nicene Faith.” (27) “For the wicked there are punishments not perpetual...according to the amount of malice in their works....The Resurrection, therefore, is regarded as a blessing not only to the good but also to the evil.”—Diodorus. ASSEM. Bibl. Or. iii. p. 324. (28) Theodore of Mopsuestia, (407 A.D.) “The crown and climax of the school of Antioch...called the ‘Master of the East’ from his theological eminence.” Dorner. ( Pers. of Christ, i. 50). (29) “Who is so great a fool as to think, that so great a blessing can be to those that arise, the occasion of endless torment?”—Frag. Ex. lib. cont. pecc. orig. “All have the hope of rising with Christ, so that the body having obtained immortality, thenceforward the proclivity to evil should be removed.” [God] “recapitulated all things in Christ...as though making a compendious renewal, and restoration of the whole creation, through Him....Now this will take place in a future age, when all mankind and all powers (virtues) possessed of reason, look up to Him, as is right, and obtain mutual concord and firm peace.”—Theodore. In Eph. i. 10

Cyril of Alexandria, (412 A.D.) “He (Cyril) describes Christ as having spoiled Hades, and ‘left the devil there solitary and deserted.’—Hom. Pasch. vii. And again, ‘Christ, wandering down even to Hades, has emptied the dark, hidden, unseen treasuries.’”—Glaphy in Gen. lib ii. (31) “For when death devoured Him who was the Lamb on behalf of all, it vomited forth all men in Him and with Him....Now when sin has been destroyed, how should it be but that death, too, should wholly perish?”—Cyril. In S. Jno. i. 29.

Maximus of Turin, (422 A.D.) “Christ carried off to heaven man whose cause He undertook, snatched from the jaws of Hades mankind.”—Maximus. In Pent. Horn. ii.

Theodoret, (423 A.D.) “Bishop of Cyrus...perhaps the most famous, and certainly the most learned teacher of his age; uniting to a noble intellect a character and accomplishments equally noble.” (34) “After His anger, God will bring to an end His judgment; for He will not be angry unto the end, nor keep His wrath to eternity.”—Theodoret. In Is. xiii. (35) “He shews here the reason for punishment, for the Lord, the lover of men, torments us only to cure us, that He may put a stop to the course of our iniquity.”—Theodoret. Hom in Ezech. cap. Vi. vers 6.

Peter Chrysologus, (433 A.D.) “Bishop of Ravenna.” (37) On the parable of the hundred sheep he said, “That the one lost sheep represents ‘the whole human race lost in Adam,’ and so the Good Shepherd ‘follows the one, seeks the one, in order that in the one He may find all, in the one He may restore all.’”—Chrysologus. Ser. clxviii.

READ THEM ALL IF YOU'RE REALLY SEEKING THE TRUTH.....I DID...WHEN I WAS....'SEEKING' THAT IS.

"Just as any teacher in Christianity towered aloft, so in proportion did he the more hold and defend the termination of penalties at some time in the future." - Dcederlin, Inst. Theol

"Indeed, beside ORIGEN, GREGORY of Nyssa also, GREGORY of Nazianzus, BASIL, AMBROSE himself, and JEROME, taught everywhere the universal restitution of things, asserting simultaneously with it, an end of eternal punishment."-C. B. SCHLEUTER, pref. in. Erig, (Migne.)

PFAFF says, "The ultimate restoration of the lost was an opinion held by very many Jewish teachers, and some of the Fathers." - Frag.anec.

REUSS says, "The doctrine of a general restoration of all rational creatures has been recommended by very many of the greatest thinkers of the antient church, and of modern times." - Hist. de la theol, Apost.

"From two theological schools there went forth an opposition to the doctrine of everlasting punishment." - NEANDER, Church Hist. iv. p. 444., Lond., 1853.

"The dogma of ORIGEN had many, and these the most celebrated defenders." - PAGE, In. Bar. ann. A.D. 410, p. 103.

"The school of .Antioch had no hesitation in hoping for an end of the pains of the other world." - MUNTER

"Universalism in the fourth century drove its roots down deeply, alike in the East and West, and had very many defenders." - DlETELMAIER.- Comm. fanat.

The learned and candid HUET names several Fathers as in sympathy with the larger hope. - Origen. ii, pp. 159, 205: Co1egn, 1685.

GIESELER says, "The belief in the inalienable power of amendment in all rational creatures, and the limited duration of future punishment was general, even in the West."- Text Book i. p.212. Phil. . 1836.

I TRUST the candid reader will weigh the above testimonies with all care, coming as they do, so far as I know, in almost every case from those who are not friendly to Universalism. We shall see how they are supported by a vast body of evidence, from all quarters, in the earliest centuries; and confirmed by the express testimony (which I shall quote) of co-temporary witnesses so famous as AUGUSTINE, JEROME, BASIL, (and DOMITIAN of Ancyra,) who attest the very wide diffusion of the larger hope in their age. The following pages will, I hope, show clearly how groundless is the widespread opinion which represents Universalism as the outcome of modern sentimentality, and will establish clearly:

(1.) That it prevailed very widely in the primitive Church, especially in the earliest centuries, often in a form embracing all fallen spirits.

(2.) That those who believed and taught it, more or less openly, or held kindred views, were among the most eminent and the most holy of the Christian Fathers.

(3.) That it not only has never been condemned by the Church, but is, far more than any other view, in harmony with the antient catholic Creeds.

(4.) That in our Prayer Book are some passages, which show a leaning towards Universalism. Such an inquiry seems indispensable, not alone because this branch of the question has been usually neglected, and the argument for Universalism thereby weakened; nor because to many minds the Fathers speak with special weight, as a link connecting us with the Apostolic age, and preserving Apostolic tradition; but on grounds common to every serious student. For all such will surely admit that in dealing with a historic faith like Christianity, its doctrines cannot be adequately treated, their growth and development rightly comprehended, or studied with intelligence, except when viewed from the standpoint of history, as well as of the moral sense, and of Holy Scripture. Further, if this historical inquiry were not entered on, we should have no sufficient answer to a very possible, and very fair objection, viz.: why, if the larger hope be in the Bible, did not those great minds of old find it there? And our faith in the larger hope will gain fresh vigor, as we see it very widely taught by many of the wisest and best men in primitive times, and taught (a) not alone on the direct authority of the Bible, but (b) by those especially to whom Greek was a living tongue, was indeed their native tongue. It is a striking fact that the weight of opposition to Universalism in primitive times is found in the Latin Church, is found most vigorous where, as in AUGUSTINE'S case, the Greek language was never really mastered.

Christ Triumphant by Thomas Allin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“"And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God; but he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭12:8-10‬ ‭NASB‬‬
This verse is notoriously difficult, and many valid interpretations abound. Using it to disprove Universalism, therefore, is not really fair.

At any rate, I submit that the whoever 'blasphemes' ("speaks against") in this verse is something that is forgiven if the person stops and repentance. It is a present continuous speaking that is in mind here. The verse does not say that if you do it once there is no hope. It does not say repentance is ineffective. It is saying that if you persist in doing it there is no hope. This renders the following saying, "either in this age or the one to come" much more meaningful. Even if you believe in eternal conscious torment or annihilationism, it makes zero sense for Jesus to say that unless there is the possibility of forgiveness.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Canons and Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils are Infallible / Thread

They are valuable but not infallible. Protestants only believe the Bible is infallible.

This becomes a sola scriptura thread if you continue to press this. You should rather argue your point in another thread, or start your own.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Canons and Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils are Infallible / Thread

No they are not. Either Gregory is lying, as a prominent figure of the second Council. Or Gregory is telling the truth and therefore your statement is a lie since Gregory was obviously PRO UR/UNI. Or you were taught a lie. Any way you look at it, your position is dead, not ours.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This verse is notoriously difficult, and many valid interpretations abound. Using it to disprove Universalism, therefore, is not really fair.

At any rate, I submit that the whoever 'blasphemes' ("speaks against") in this verse is something that is forgiven if the person stops and repentance. It is a present continuous speaking that is in mind here. The verse does not say that if you do it once there is no hope. It does not say repentance is ineffective. It is saying that if you persist in doing it there is no hope. This renders the following saying, "either in this age or the one to come" much more meaningful. Even if you believe in eternal conscious torment or annihilationism, it makes zero sense for Jesus to say that unless there is the possibility of forgiveness.
I usually tie this to the synoptic version in Luke. (the house divided passage)
Meaning, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is attributing the work of God to Satan. (see below)
It amazes me how often this happens. Especially on religious forums.

Matthew 12:24
But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.”

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.