FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
“For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which were disobedient , when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was in preparation, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water…Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.”

"He will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove his people’s disgrace from all the earth. The Lord has spoken."

Our God eats death, He swallows it down into Himself and into zao Life.

The Plan of all plans=

1. No more death. (forever)

2. No more tears. (from ALL faces)

3. No more disgrace.

I create all new.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Here on this mountain, God-of-the-Angel-Armies
will throw a feast for all the people of the world,
A feast of the finest foods, a feast with vintage wines,
a feast of seven courses, a feast lavish with gourmet desserts.

And here on this mountain, God will banish
the pall of doom hanging over all peoples,
The shadow of doom darkening all nations.

Yes, he’ll banish death forever.
And God will wipe the tears from every face.
He’ll remove every sign of disgrace
From his people, wherever they are.

Yes! God says so!

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Add indulgences and purgatory to your list.
Has the "Church" (capital C) always been right?

I'm talking about Eastern Orthodoxy, Not Roman Catholicism.

They are different.

East–West Schism - Wikipedia

Orthodoxy had 4 of the 5 remaining Patriarchal Bishops of The Church after The Schism happened in 1,054 A.D.

• Alexandria: Leontius (1052-1059 A.D.)

• Jerusalem: Ioannikios (1048-?) or Sophronios II (?-1059 A.D.)

• Antioch: Peter III (1028-1051 A.D.), or John IV, V, or Dionysius (1051-62 A.D.)

• Constantinople: Michael Cerularius (1043-1059 A.D.)

• Rome: Leo IX (1049-1054 A.D.)

Indulgences and Purgatory are Roman Catholic Doctrines that were ruled on at The Council of Trent and happened from December of 1545 A.D. to December of 1563 A.D.

That was almost 500 years After The Great Schism of 1,054 A.D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear Jude: As a recent convert to Christianity, you are doing well. Keep practicing and you will most certainly reach full catechumen.

However: if your grasp is higher, the High calling of God the Father in Christ Jesus calls to him that has ears to hear & eyes to see. If you can neither hear or see, there is still hope. Our God raises the dead.

I am He that lives and was dead, and behold I have the keys to death and hell.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is The Bishop of Bishops and is The Head Of The Church.
So He is The One who reigns over The Church and The Councils of His Church.

Universalism has already been defeated and condemned for over 1,400 years since
The 5th Ecumenical Council in 553 A.D.

ed942ae0bbba02d27f2ca3b7cd154ccf.jpg
There are some fine, well accepted EO theologians who disagree with your dogmatism on this point.

David Bentley Hart, one of these EO theologians, has done some very interesting work in this area, and disputes Universalism in itself was actually condemned. Have a read: Saint Origen | David Bentley Hart

• Agree
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are some fine, well accepted EO theologians who disagree with your dogmatism on this point.

David Bentley Hart, one of these EO theologians, has done some very interesting work in this area, and disputes Universalism in itself was actually condemned. Have a read: Saint Origen | David Bentley Hart

The Canons and Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils are Infallible.

David Bentley Hart is not an authority on Orthodoxy and his opinions on Orthodox Christianity, The Canons and Ecumenical Councils don't matter.

Fr. John Whiteford's Commentary and Reflections: The Strange Theology of David Bentley Hart

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NONSENSE!

Nothing, but nothing is infallible!

Exception=

12e07b5722b833d11ad10ba634fc8d927313023c.png

The Lord Jesus Christ is The Head Of The Church and The Head of The Councils therefore making The Canons and Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils Infallible.

4e69b6e64bf418231105446d5bff1fb5.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Canons and Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils are Infallible.

David Bentley Hart is not an authority on Orthodoxy and his opinions on Orthodox Christianity, The Canons and Ecumenical Councils don't matter.

Fr. John Whiteford's Commentary and Reflections: The Strange Theology of David Bentley Hart

Some seem to see him as an authority.

and some don't.

From the outside, this looks very much like the Protestant situation.

I think my main point though is that your opinion on the matter is debatable, but also you are veering this conversation into an off topic direction. This conversation is not about what the counsels deemed, nor their jurisdiction over Christian belief, not about the EO church. This is a conversation about the doctrine itself in question.

• Agree
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What "Church" (capital C) were the rulings you cited? Was that not the RCC that you are owning?

Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism separated after The Great Schism of 1,054 A.D.

The Council of Trent is Roman Catholic and happened almost 500 years After The Great Schism.

Purgatory and Indulgences were ruled on at The Council of Trent and have nothing to do with Eastern Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism separated after The Great Schism of 1,054 A.D.

The Council of Trent is Roman Catholic and happened almost 500 years After The Great Schism.

Purgatory and Indulgences were ruled on at The Council of Trent and have nothing to do with Eastern Orthodoxy.

Are you claiming that Eastern Orthodoxy is infallible? Never any mistakes made?

• Agree
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
To stake out a claim in territory of Godness is the ultimate trespass. The territory of, and which is, Godness, permits no squatters.

Venturing a claim there to even the tiniest plot is verboten---nay; no way; nix that; nyet! Yet to attempt such infamy is encouraged by conventional Christian teaching. Not only is it encouraged, it is considered an absolute necessity for setting forth, and traveling successfully, on the Way.

It's not any old plot within Godness territory we're talking about. It's a place of vastly strategic importance. It is situated on Deity high ground. Allow me to explain:

With whatever else it is that characterizes God, be it known that one characteristic stands out as clearly as any other, i.e., GOD ALWAYS HAS HIS WAY IN ALL THINGS...ABSOLUTELY!

There is no place for compromise on that point; there's no, "Well, golly gee, My little creatures, I'll cede over to y'all that particularly strategic stronghold of sovereignty. After all, I want my kingdom to include a democratic principle. Y'all deserve a vote on how We do things around here. If y'all don't like what I propose, speak up, I'll listen and make whatever adjustments are necessary to not infringe on your 'free will,' on your claim to a portion of My sovereignty. Share and share alike, is what I say."

This nonsense must be cleared up in advance of the consummation of all things, and it will be, for it is "...that every knee will bow, of those in heaven and on the earth and under the earth, and that every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Phil. 2: 10, 11 NASB) Jesus is not the One who bends His knee to us, except, in His self-emptying, to figuratively wash our feet, as He who came not to be served, but to serve, and give His life a ransom for many. (Mark 10:45) Nothing can stand in the way of His Lordship. Being Lord means that all authority has been given to Him in heaven and earth, with the power to enforce His authority. (Matt. 28:18; Rev. 7:12)

There is among most Christians the idea that though the Father desires great and good things for all mankind, yet they insist that things will not actually turn out that way. They imagine that the Lordship of Christ simply amounts to Him having the authority and power to punish us for not letting Him have His Way, i.e., since they've staked out that strategic plot within the territory of sovereignty. They think it simply means He's bigger and stronger than us, and if He can't have His way, then according to the authority vested in Him by God, with the corresponding power, He'll show us who's boss vindictively.

We need to consider how determined Father and Son are.

It's the cross of Christ that reveals God's determination to have His Way. He was of a mind and will to BE, in action, what He IS by nature: perfect Love. It meant the Way of the Cross; The Via Dolorosa. With the Father, and our Lord Jesus, it was, "so be it," and it was. Do you dare imagine that God will allow even one drop of the precious shed blood of Christ to turn out to be wasted, of having no final application to some souls? Do you dare imagine that God is a God who will settle for cutting His losses as best He can? Or do you imagine that They never planned on a universally grand and good conclusion, as is shamefully insisted by our Calvinist brethren.

Don't think I'm only getting in the face of our Calvinist brethren. While they insist that God, from eternity, has elected some to salvation, and all the rest to damnation, and it's in that sense that God has His Way, Arminianism perceives God to have chosen to be subject to the will of man. Dare we imagine that God will be denied the holy desire of His heart? How utterly pathetic it is that Christians have settled on it having to be one or the other of the above. The intellectual contortions involved in trying to prove one or the other would be laughable if it were not actually a matter of bearing false witness against God.

Grand and glorious is the Divine plan: God will settle for nothing less than sharing Himself in all His glory with all mankind in a new heaven and new earth wherein dwelleth righteousness.

(Isa. 40:5; Hab. 2:14; 2Pet. 3:13) Through Isaiah, the Lord testified that the knowledge of the glory of the Lord will fill all the earth as the waters cover the sea. The sense of that glorious statement is that, when compared with the New Testament's teaching on knowing God, it conveys that all that is earthen will be filled with the experiential and intimate knowledge of the Lord. God Himself will be what we in divine fellowship KNOW. Reality and perception shall finally meet as one. That is, we shall know God, as God knows Himself. I'm raising an issue here that is at the heart of the refreshed reformation that is presently making itself known in pulpit and pew, among the formally trained in theology, and among those who, though not formally trained in such things, know simply that their God is a good God, good always, and good to all. -John Gavazzoni-

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Lord Jesus Christ is The Head Of The Church and The Head of The Councils therefore making The Canons and Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils Infallible.

Dear Jude: the Head of the church is indeed the Master of Reconciliation, the Lord Jesus Christ!

Your gigantic problem=

Adding "and" and "therefore."

From eternity past God intended that the most vivid and profound demonstration of his glory would come in the form of His work of salvation on the cross of Christ.

- God then made man to punish him.

- He made him perfect and thus unlikely to ever need punishing, or, for that matter, a Savior.

- By a happy coincidence, and against all the odds, this perfect man sinned, thus allowing God to fulfill His purposes for both the man and Christ.

- When he sinned, God, who is suddenly confronted with the prospect of being able to fulfill all of His original plans, becomes furious.

What you have just read is not a joke. I wish that it were.

Rather, I have simply enumerated the points that comprise the Calvinist theological system, or, as I call it:

the Happy Coincidence model of sin and salvation.

It reflects what can only be described as an Alice-in-Wonderland reality, in -which the only sense is nonsense, and logic is the enemy. -Stephen Campana-

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
Ratings cleaned up.
NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"This, in a nutshell, is that will: that everything handed over to me by the Father be completed - not a single detail missed - and at the wrap-up of time I have everything and everyone put together, upright and whole. This is what my Father wants: that anyone who sees the Son and trusts who he is and what he does and then aligns with him will enter real life, eternal life. My part is to put them on their feet alive and whole at the completion of time." -Jesus, the Christ-

7f58a3898b78def226e2960e2918b13fefc9028c.jpeg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.