Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Go read Lev. 23. God set up certain days where He said "Meet Me." The Hebrew word used there for "feasts" is moedim - lit. "appointed times." God made the appointments. If we show up on some other day He may or may not be there.
Let me make sure I understand correctly, are you a believer of the Old Testament alone? Or do you believe in Jesus Christ also?

Upvote 0

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Go read Lev. 23. God set up certain days where He said "Meet Me." The Hebrew word used there for "feasts" is moedim - lit. "appointed times." God made the appointments. If we show up on some other day He may or may not be there.

FYI - this is the Messianic folder and most of us do NOT "go to church" on Sunday. We attend on Saturday. And that is the FIRST moed listed in Lev 23.
I apologize. I think this is a pointless argument. I didn't see where it showed that you are part of the Messianic religion. This is a complete difference in beliefs and religion, except it's great to hear that you believe in Jesus Christ. Let's continue to to believe what we believe, I believe that we do not have to follow the old Leviticus laws that He gave to specifically the Israelites, and you do.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how you view it. But something I would keep in mind though is to praise God each and every day. Including the Sabbath day.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, answer this question. Do you think God would want someone to follow Him on a certain day, let's say Sunday because that is the day we go to church, or a little each day?
I have another answer to this that I thought of after posting that reply.

This is all God's ball game. He sets the parameters and rules. Saying we can drop in any day or time is like playing baseball and walking out to first base with your bat and expecting the pitcher to throw the ball there instead of over home plate.

• Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

This is all God's ball game. He sets the parameters and rules. Saying we can drop in any day or time is like playing baseball and walking out to first base with your bat and expecting the pitcher to throw the ball there instead of over home plate.
If you would like to continue to discuss our beliefs, can we message each other? I have a made a mistake and didn't realize this is in the Messianic section.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me make sure I understand correctly, are you a believer of the Old Testament alone? Or do you believe in Jesus Christ also?
We absolutely believe in "Jesus Christ," but we usually refer to HIM as Yeshua haMashiach. (His Name in Aramaic)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you would like to continue to discuss our beliefs, can we message each other? I have a made a mistake and didn't realize this is in the Messianic section.
You are not the first nor will you be the last to make that "mistake."

No hassles from me Brother! :)

This is a complete difference in beliefs and religion, except it's great to hear that you believe in Jesus Christ.
No - we are NOT a different "religion" or belief system (at least on the overall). We are fully New Covenant Believers who see a continued special place and function for those of Jewish decent. See Romans 11 where it says the gifts and callings (i.e. chosen people) are irrevocable.

We practice something that those Jewish believers in Acts did - but Christians today have a hard time wrapping their heads around: New Covenant Judaism.

• Winner
Upvote 0

mishkan

There's room for YOU in the Mishkan!
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No - we are NOT a different "religion" or belief system (at least on the overall).
I appreciate your postings in this forum. You do a fine job representing Messianic views, from what I have seen.

That said, this is one aspect I consider debatable, at best. I also started out taking the Christian faith as my initial baseline, then adding increasing doses of Torah and Jewish culture to that baseline. As an elder in a Messianic shul, I used to encourage people to view themselves as a bridge between the Jewish and the Christian communities. However, after close to 30 years in MJ, I concluded that most of what we call "Christianity" is a deviant path, based on misunderstandings due to ignorance of first century Jewish concepts.

Christians follow theology—a philosophical construct based on questionable translations and half-understood personal letters.

We are fully New Covenant Believers who see a continued special place and function for those of Jewish decent. See Romans 11 where it says the gifts and callings (i.e. chosen people) are irrevocable.
Yes.

We practice something that those Jewish believers in Acts did - but Christians today have a hard time wrapping their heads around: New Covenant Judaism.
_
Also, agreed.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
That said, this is one aspect I consider debatable, at best. I also started out taking the Christian faith as my initial baseline, then adding increasing doses of Torah and Jewish culture to that baseline. As an elder in a Messianic shul, I used to encourage people to view themselves as a bridge between the Jewish and the Christian communities. However, after close to 30 years in MJ, I concluded that most of what we call "Christianity" is a deviant path, based on misunderstandings due to ignorance of first century Jewish concepts.

Christians follow theology—a philosophical construct based on questionable translations and half-understood personal letters.

Exactly right. Which is why those of us who came out of the church system spent years unlearning what we learned there. It seems easy, but it takes time to realize how much we 'know' about the bible isn't true, it's just what we were taught.

• Agree
Reactions: mishkan
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I have a better one. :)

You make a date to take your wife out to dinner, celebrate your anniversary on Saturday.

You show up, she doesn't, when you get home she's on the sofa, watching a movie, doing her own thing. And you wonder why? Ask her, Hun,why didn't you meet me at the restaurant for our anniversary dinner?

Her answer, Oh, I thought I'd go tomorrow.

How would she feel if you gave her a birthday gift on any day you pick?

You might end up like this:
upload_2017-8-10_2-3-50.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have a better one. :)

You make a date to take your wife out to dinner, celebrate your anniversary on Saturday.

You show up, she doesn't, when you get home she's on the sofa, watching a movie, doing her own thing. And you wonder why? Ask her, Hun,why didn't you meet me at the restaurant for our anniversary dinner?

Her answer, Oh, I thought I'd go tomorrow.

How would she feel if you gave her a birthday gift on any day you pick?

You might end up like this:
View attachment 204361
Fantastic analogy.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lulav said: Verse 9 says there remains a rest to the people of G-d.
Who is he referring to here?

Well the letter is to the Hebrews. I would read it in that light.

Are you saying that Christians (Gentile believers) are not the people of G-d?

Of course I'm not saying that! Honestly, I'm insulted that you would even ask me this.

I wasn't meaning to insult but what other conclusion could one come to?

I basically was asking who were the people of G-d being referred to in that verse and you said the letter is to the Hebrews.

So the only conclusion I can come up with is that The writer of that book was telling the Jews and Israel that they were the people of G-d.

• Agree
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Lulav said: Verse 9 says there remains a rest to the people of G-d.
Who is he referring to here?
I wasn't meaning to insult but what other conclusion could one come to?

I basically was asking who were the people of G-d being referred to in that verse and you said the letter is to the Hebrews.

So the only conclusion I can come up with is that The writer of that book was telling the Jews and Israel that they were the people of G-d.
I have often seen the Book of Hebrews tossed out of the gentiles belongings with such a conclusion that it is only for Hebrews... Nonsense.

Upvote 0