Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I use it and it is great! Sound theological explanations and includes synopses of the history of the Reformation by various Reformed theologians. I might be biased though because I am a huge fan of RC Sproul and find his commentary easy to comprehend. :clap:

Reactions: LovesOurLord
Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I use the Reformation Study Bible (ESV) for study, though I like the NASB translation more. I keep them side by side but they are very close!

On another note brother R. C. Sproul passed on to glory on last Thursday, 12/14/17. I'm going to miss that brother greatly...but his work will go on through Ligonier Ministries, the program "Renewing Your Mind" and REFNET radio.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm wondering if any of my fellow Reformed/Calvinist Christians use the Reformation Study Bible? If not, what study bible do you use?

I was looking for a study bible that's Presbyterian-friendly, like the Catholics and Lutherans have their own study bibles. I found this, and I'm considering getting it. I love a good study bible.

Link: The Reformation Study Bible edited by R.C. Sproul

I have one of the older editions but hardly ever use it. If I'm using a study Bible I tend to use the Reformation Heritage Bible more often.

A buddy of mine has it and enjoys studying from it.

Upvote 0

Reformed2

Site Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
beloved7, I hope you enjoy your new Bible, after all, you can't be Reformed without a copy of RSB and if you own one you are automatically Reformed. (kidding)

Yours in the Lord,

jm

In fairness I am a 1689 confessional congregationalist . Really enjoying it so far. It was between this or the ESV study bible which also seems like a terrific choice. Either way can't go wrong ❤

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

LovesOurLord

Jun 19, 2018
Denver
✟15,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've been unable to find a reference before 2006. That's what Amazon's out of stock listings say, and I haven't seen any earlier references. That would put it after then ESV edition of the Reformation Study Bible.

For older books, if they exist, it's better to source Abe Books and Alibris.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What makes the MacArthur Study Bible worthwhile?

He is, in my own and many others opinion, one of the greatest bible teachers of our time.

His commentary is excellent and he has dedicated his life to writing a complete commentary of the New Testament spanning some 30 plus books, so all that wisdom condensed in to a study bible is great.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovesOurLord

Jun 19, 2018
Denver
✟15,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I recently purchased the Reformation Study Bible. As a relatively new Christian that recently concluded that the Reformed teaching is accurate and logical, I wanted to have something I could rely on with notes from a Reformed viewpoint and not something tainted with Pentecostalism, Dispensationalism, or otherwise.

On my smart phone I did download a free KJV Geneva Study Bible from Google Play which is also of help to me.

The only knock I have on the RSB so far is that there is no red-letter text and outside of the maps, everything is black and white. It makes it a bit more difficult for the eyes to pick out a given thing. I also prefer two-column text with notes in the middle as opposed to the one-column of the RSB with notes on the sidebar. As someone who is nearsighted and needs reading glasses on top of contact lenses, I wish the font was larger as well. So my issue is formatting, not note quality.

Although not Reformed, I still use the voluminous Thompson Chain Reference for general topical study and historical understanding. It's a wonderful addition to anyone's Bible study regimen, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm wondering if any of my fellow Reformed/Calvinist Christians use the Reformation Study Bible? If not, what study bible do you use?

I was looking for a study bible that's Presbyterian-friendly, like the Catholics and Lutherans have their own study bibles. I found this, and I'm considering getting it. I love a good study bible.

Link: The Reformation Study Bible edited by R.C. Sproul

I own the older version, I bought my brother the newest edition several years ago. I really like the notes, maps, confessions and creeds, and whatever else they have and expanded to the older version.

Upvote 0