Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The rainbow symbolizes the beauty of all the colors. LGBTQXYZ use this symbol because in their eyes all gender identities and sexualities are beautiful and equal. It is also unintentionally--sometimes intentionally--blasphemous, but what do you expect, really?

Upvote 0

Circle Christ

TrueLuv: Jesus died-4-U Knowing you may not care
Feb 25, 2016
Missionary
✟2,411.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can someone please explain to me why the LGBTQ (and whatever other letters they added on) hijacked the symbol of God's promise to His people that He would never flood the earth again? I find this blasphemous!
I would agree it is blasphemous. But isn't being proud of unrepentant sin and parading that sin before the masses also blasphemy of righteous living in the Bible passages? And meant to offend those who are of God in those areas where that sin parades?

The rainbow symbolizes the beauty of all the colors. LGBTQXYZ use this symbol because in their eyes all gender identities and sexualities are beautiful and equal. It is also unintentionally--sometimes intentionally--blasphemous, but what do you expect, really?
I don't think that which God says is that which will insure the sinner shall not see paradise for their unrepentance of immoral sins is beautiful. And it most certainly is not equal in the world where the majority of persons are not inclined to practice that particular community of sins.
All that pertains to cover the sin in labels and colors are taken from either righteous sources or innocent ones.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can someone please explain to me why the LGBTQ (and whatever other letters they added on) hijacked the symbol of God's promise to His people that He would never flood the earth again? I find this blasphemous!
Yes and no. The original idea supposedly was to represent diversity through the use of the spectrum of colors. However, it's also true that the rainbow itself has fallen out of use on various posters, corporate names, and so forth for the reason that there's a worry about onlookers thinking it to be some kind of password or double entendre. Here's one of the more pathetic examples: the athletic teams of the University of Hawaii, nicknamed the Rainbow Warriors and using a Polynesian warrior theme decided to drop the word "Rainbow" from the name specifically because the rainbow has become so commonly associated with the LGBTQAIXYZ agenda. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's a shame. The Rainbow warriors should have held to their theme instead of being afraid the icon would identify them as gay.
I felt the same way. The Hawaiian Islands and the rainbow are a natural, just like calling the U. of Miami the "Hurricanes" or Oklahoma the "Sooners." It isn't something arbitrary or unrelated to the school's locale (which is the case with a lot of other institutions).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
hijacked? since when does christianity own the image of a rainbow?
seems kinds of petty to me...
That's an odd interpretation of what we've been talking about. The idea was that the rainbow has been hijacked by a particular socio-political cause that has made the rainbow colors their own emblem. Right or wrong, the rainbow has long represented several other ideas and, yes, one derives from a passage in Scripture. But to complain about "Christianity (sic) own the image" is silly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

The colors reflect the diversity of the LGBT community, and the flag is often used as a symbol of gay pride when it comes to LGBTQ+ rights marches. It originated in Northern California,
but is now used worldwide.

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_flag_(LGBT_movement)

No one "owns" the image of the rainbow. A rainbow is a natural phenomenon, & any group is welcome to be inspired by its beauty.

There is no "blasphemy" involved in any group using a rainbow in its logo, symbol, or merchandise.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, the symbol of the cross was in use far before the advent of Christianity... is our use of the cross as a symbol illegitimate, then?
I think you'd have a hard time arguing that the cross was a recognized emblem of some significant movement from which Christianity took it...and also that there's nothing about the cross that's inherently related to Christianity. Still, these kinds of overlaps in logos between different causes is nothing new, and I don't perceive that the gay community is using the multicolor thing in order to mock Christianity, so the best thing IMHO would be for Christians to not abandon the rainbow in reaction to it.

Upvote 0

skalle

Delete system32.
Jun 17, 2016
USA
✟17,101.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I think you'd have a hard time arguing that the cross was a recognized emblem of some significant movement from which Christianity took it...
I don't have any scholarly sources to back this right now, but I know I've read that cross insignias have been found at ancient grave sites far predating Christianity. Whether it was widespread or whether it represented anything, I don't know, and I'm not sure anyone else does, either. I think I saw this on Wikipedia, so if you want to look, it's there. I'm not going to argue the point because I don't consider Wikipedia a good source, and I don't believe Christianity took it from anyone. For the record, I wear a crucifix around my neck, so I am not trying to argue we should not use the cross as a symbol of our faith.

and also that there's nothing about the cross that's inherently related to Christianity. Still, these kinds of overlaps in logos between different causes is nothing new, and I don't perceive that the gay community is using the multicolor thing in order to mock Christianity, so the best thing IMHO would be for Christians to not abandon the rainbow in reaction to it.
I agree with you.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The really cool thing about the use of the rainbow as a celebration of the LGBTQ movement is that it corresponds beautifully with the biblical account.

God looks at the world, sees all the sin, and decides to wipe out the whole operation with a big flood. But then God looked down on the destruction He had wrought and He repented of it. He decided never again to engage in retribution for sin. And in token of that decision, he set his war-bow in the sky as the rainbow.

It's really a beautiful symbol of the way that Christians are gradually deciding to become more in-tune with God's way of thinking. We're giving up our judgmentalism and our theology of retribution, and deciding that love is actually the answer - just like Jesus showed us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The really cool thing about the use of the rainbow as a celebration of the LGBTQ movement is that it corresponds beautifully with the biblical account.

God looks at the world, sees all the sin, and decides to wipe out the whole operation with a big flood. But then God looked down on the destruction He had wrought and He repented of it. .

Get back to us with the verses which say not that he repented of again wiping out the sinners but also that he changed his mind about what is sin.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well known fact that only Christians are allowed to use rainbow imagery! In fact, I don't think non-Christians should even be allowed to LOOK at rainbows!

Upvote 0

Lybrah

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
✟62,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God looks at the world, sees all the sin, and decides to wipe out the whole operation with a big flood. But then God looked down on the destruction He had wrought and He repented of it. He decided never again to engage in retribution for sin. And in token of that decision, he set his war-bow in the sky as the rainbow.

It's really a beautiful symbol of the way that Christians are gradually deciding to become more in-tune with God's way of thinking. We're giving up our judgmentalism and our theology of retribution, and deciding that love is actually the answer - just like Jesus showed us.

??????

Love is telling the truth. Allowing someone to stay in sin and not repent is NOT love. Sometimes people have to hear the truth and it hurts. But if we love them, we must say it. Being afraid of making them upset will only hurt them in the long run. You're not really even thinking about them. You're actually just thinking of yourself. You don't want them to be mad at you. It's really about you. However, if you tell them the truth, it may help them. They may or may not decide to listen. But you can only do so much. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. God did not repent of any sin, because He is incapable of sin. It grieved Him to do it but they had turned on Him. He still loved them. God's word does not change. If human beings are changing His word, they are doing the wrong thing and Jesus would not approve!

Upvote 0