The Purpose of the 10 Commandments (The Law of Moses)

RyanC111

Feb 24, 2016
Arizona
✟15,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the contention between right vs. wrong, good vs. evil, Truth vs. deceit

We, as people, search for the highest form of knowledge in able to discern even the most perplexing situations. Historically and within certain current circles, The 10 Commandments has been the cornerstone for all ethical/religious doctrine and ethical/religious practice. However, in the pursuit of righteousness and a better Hope, this teaching will be confronted here today. Scriptures will be used from the King James Bible as it is the bases of this viewpoint; I encourage you to read the chapters of the selected Scriptures. Also, I want to highlight the importance of the wording within Scripture and this forum. The 10 Commandments will be referred to as 'The Law'.

What does The 10 Commandments teach?
Romans 3:20- by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 7:7- I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

The function of the law is to teach us what wrong and evil is. Seemingly,this is a good thing, that we know the evil tochoose the good. But there is a problem..

Romans 7:8- But sin, taking occasion by the law, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. (lust)

Romans 7:10&11- and the law which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the law, deceived me, and by it slew me.

1 Corinthians 15:56- the strength of sin is the law.

You read in the law not to covet, then you look outside your window and see your neighbor driving your dream car, even the color you want. The practice is not to covet. Now you're practicing not to want something that you want and the stronger the desire is to have it makes it all more difficult. A lot of times the line of morality between right and wrong isn't so cut and dry. What seems good could end up being destructive and vise versa.
The law gives knowledge of sin, it teaches us what evil is but doesn't show us what the good is to choose.

What is the purpose of the 10 Commandments?
Galations 3:24- the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

The depiction of the word schoolmaster is a overseer. Like how a nanny would be to a child, the nanny will oversee and discipline the child until the parents return. However, once the parents return there is no need for the nanny; in this case the schoolmaster.

Galations 3:25- But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Romans 10:4- Christ is the end of the law to all who believe.

Hebrews 10 says that Jesus Christ came into the world to do the will of GOD. John 3:16, For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever shall believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. In Jesus, we have the hope of the forgiveness and love of God. God is love and the Will of God is good. If we wish to know and choose good we must believe in the goodness of GOD in Jesus Christ.

Romans 8:3- For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh.

Ephesians 2:10- For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works

There is no good that can be done apart for Christ that would be acceptable unto God. This is where Baptism and Circumcision are introduced. Putting off the old man and putting on the new.

Colossians 3:9-10 seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the Image of Him that created Him:

This conversation is one that is best explained in Hebrews 7:11-19. The changing of the Priesthood requires there is a change to the Law. Which means there will be a change in the doctrine. We are now under a New Covenant, a New Law. Referred to as the Law of the Spirit in Romans 8:2.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to His abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
1 Peter 1:3