The problem of Objective Morality. and why even biblical speaking it is subjective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
What if survival is NOT good and necessary and the most important thing? How do you know that it is? Joseph Stalin thought that his survival was the most important thing so he killed millions.

That is why morality is subjective. Your "objective" morality can be, and likely is different than some other's "objective" morality.

The definition of morality (including the root and etymological context of the word) is a set of principles by which living entities follow in order to successfully and progressively live. The etymology implies this set of principles is for entities that die. Fundamentally, morality is about survival - no matter how messed up the mechanism may be.

So you are saying that for you it would not be needed to kill 15 people and eat them but for Jeffrey Dahmer it was what he needed to stay alive?

That is right. Dahmer was a necrophiliac, sadist, sociopath. His entire psychological (and, therefore physical) survival was dependent on him satisfying his lusts for having sex with dead humans, blending in with society whilst maintaining a grandiose ego and enchanting charisma, trapping his victims, and inflicting pain upon other persons.

Again, he felt he needed to do this, and the consequences were trivial compared to his driven obsession for the aforementioned "lusts." His "morality" was a real and important to him as yours is to you. That is why morality is, at best, subjective. Living entities have very different aspirations and definitions for life, and living.

The true Creator God follows His morality perfectly and we are judged by that same morality as creations of His in His image whom He loves and wants to live forever with.

God doesn't deal in morality. He is not moral; He does not die. We (entities that die) do. That is why we have such a hard time reconciling God - and we always try to apologize for Him when He doesn't need it at all. His will is focused on eternity, while morality is comparatively fleeting.

In my opinion (which doesn't matter) He gives us too much credit, because He speaks to us as if we are mature spiritual beings that understand spiritual things. We are resolutely carnal - even so much that we hold God to our ephemeral standards that can't even stand the test of a century.

What is moral today is nowhere near moral 40 years ago, and that time was immoral compared to 150 years ago. The fact that morality changes means it is not fundamental.

God does not change; He does not "do" morality. He does Truth. Unfortunately, we often exchange His truth for a watered-down version calibrated to our morality.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never refuted Jesus as being a real person, but I doubt scholars agree Jesus was Crucified
Actually this is one point that most scholars agree as being true.
“No serious historian of any religious or nonreligious stripe doubts that Jesus of Nazareth really lived in the first century and was executed under the authority of Pontius Pilate, the governor of Judea and Samaria.”
Powerful Reasons Why Scholars Know that Jesus Existed.

Other sources such as Tacitus, Josephus, Lucian and the Babylonian Talmud, which are close to the time of Jesus mention he was put to death and Tacitus mention Pontius Pilot. There is also the fact that Christian and non-Christian writings mention the rising up of Christians soon after Christ's death on the basis of him being crucified and then rising from the dead. Many Christians were persecuted and also crucified. The enemies of Christ and Christians write about this and they were the least who wanted to support Jesus and makeup stories because they wanted him gone.

because there are many Muslim scholars as well and in Islam they are very specific about Jesus being taken by Allah into Heaven when the Jewish leaders began conspiring against him. If there were evidence of him actually being crucified, that would expose Islam as fraud; that would be akin to having proof of Jesus never rising from the dead, which would expose Christianity as fraud.
It is ironic because one of the criticisms of the Bible is that it was written 100s of years after the event. Yet some of the books about the crucifixion of Jesus were written very soon after his death when eyewitnesses were still around. The Koran was written 600 years after the death of Christ. Islam also supports the old testament but instead of also supporting the New Testament writings they change things to add their own version where Mohummad is the great prophet and not Christ so of course, they will minimize Christ's position. Who would be more credible the eyewitnesses to the events and other non-Biblical writings closer to the event or someone coming along 600 years later who had a vested interest in changing things to make a new religion.

But my point was not about if he were an actual person or not, but about the claims of him regularly doing things outside the laws of nature. There are many fictional novels and books written today that include actual events and involve actual people of today, yet they are still books and novels of fiction.
Jesus's miracles are another thing and nothing to do with his morals.

First of all, you need to quit bringing up Sam Harris, because nothing he said had anything to do with Objective Morality, even though the title on the Video suggested otherwise.
If you read his articles you will find it has everything to do with objective morality. But I understand you do not want to look into Mr Harris so here are some other non-religious sources that use similar reasoning.

The thesis of this essay is that morality is not objective in the same way that statements of empirically verifiable facts are objective, yet morality is objective in the ways that matter: moral judgments are not arbitrary; we can have genuine disagreements about moral issues; people can be mistaken in their moral beliefs, and facts about the world are relevant to and inform our moral judgments. In other words, morality is not “subjective” as that term is usually interpreted. Moral judgments are not equivalent to descriptive statements about the world—factual assertions about cars, cats, and cabbages—but neither are they merely expressions of personal preferences.
How Morality Has the Objectivity that Matters—Without God

Moral Realism is a systematic defence of the idea that there are objective moral standards. In the tradition of Plato and G. E. Moore, Russ Shafer-Landau argues that there are moral principles that are true independently of what anyone, anywhere, happens to think of them. These principles are a fundamental aspect of reality, just as much as those that govern mathematics or the natural world.
http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780199259755.html

I agree, with God, it comes down to having trust in him and his word, but the same applies to me! The difference between you and I is that you have trust in God and his word; I don’t. I have trust in myself and my word; you don’t. Kinda balances out.
The difference is having trust in a human is risky as humans are fallible and can be influenced, biased and corrupted into thinking something is good when it is bad. That is our weakness. Whereas with Jesus he is the same always and has no sin. His moral teachings are always good and can be depended upon.

Bro! I have read the Bible, and I will put my morals up against that God’s morals any day!
Jesus is the fulfilment of the bible and he is infallible and without sin. Therefore a rock solid and dependable example of how to live a good life. But going back to the weakness of humans it is not us who become good as we cannot but Jesus living in us that enables us to live good moral lives.

The problem with taking your morals from the God of the Bible is that even when he is proven wrong, his fan club will insist that he is right!
There is no fault in Jesus to be proven wrong. He is our only source of how we should act. That was his mission to show us the way.

My ability to know the difference between right and wrong. (I thought I answered that already)
I meant what measure can you use to know it is really good as in absolutely good. Not your version or another humans version of good as this can be many different interpretations of what is good and there is no guarantee that it is absolutely good. Like I mentioned earlier humans can deceive themselves into thinking something is good when it is not so good because of ulterior motives such as overlooking something or compromising things because there is some sort of benefit to be made.

No; there are some issues where everybody will subjectively agree on. No lawgiver needed.
How do they determine that it is actually good. They may agree but what is the basis for their choice being ultimately good. A group of people can be wrong just as much as an individual.

Sam Harris makes the point that there are right and wrong answers when it comes to cultural successes, then he makes the claim that morality is related to that. He makes the point that not all moral principles should be considered equal; he even seems to say it would be good if we could all agree on what is good and bad moral principles, but nowhere does he claim that we do. And nowhere does he claim some moral law giver outside of mankind that knows what is best for us.
SamHarris would never agree that there was a moral lawgiver. As you have said he is only making the point that there are certain moral positions that are better than others that we all can know.

Again; you need to quit bringing up Sam Harris in this conversation because he is not supporting your arguments of Objective Morality.
Fair enough, not my idea of objective moraily but objective morality nevertheless.

From Sam Harris's website
Clearly, we can think of objective sources of moral order that do not require the existence of a law-giving God. In The End of Faith, I argued that questions of morality are really questions about happiness and suffering. If there are objectively better and worse ways to live so as to maximize happiness in this world, these would be objective moral truths worth knowing. Whether we will ever be in a position to discover these truths and agree about them cannot be known in advance (and this is the case for all questions of scientific fact).

But if there are psychophysical laws that underwrite human well-being—and why wouldn’t there be?—then these laws are potentially discoverable. Knowledge of these laws would provide an enduring basis for an objective morality. In the meantime, everything about human experience suggests that love is better than hate for the purposes of living happily in this world. This is an objective claim about the human mind, the dynamics of social relations, and the moral order of our world. While we do not have anything like a final, scientific approach to maximizing human happiness, it seems safe to say that raping and killing children will not be one of its primary constituents.
The Myth of Secular Moral Chaos

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It is ironic because one of the criticisms of the Bible is that it was written 100s of years after the event. Yet some of the books about the crucifixion of Jesus were written very soon after his death when eyewitnesses were still around. The Koran was written 600 years after the death of Christ. Islam also supports the old testament but instead of also supporting the New Testament writings they change things to add their own version where Mohummad is the great prophet and not Christ so of course, they will minimize Christ's position. Who would be more credible the eyewitnesses to the events and other non-Biblical writings closer to the event or someone coming along 600 years later who had a vested interest in changing things to make a new religion.
There are a lot more problems with the Bible other than the number of years written after Jesus death; like how Jesus never wrote anything down. If I were God and I wanted my message out there, I wouldn’t depend on flawed men with agendas and prejudices to deliver my message, I would have my perfect Son deliver my message. Instead he depended on various men write of him; many contradicting each other, then many years later the Catholic Church voted on which books were authentic and which were not worthy of being used for the Bible.

Or when he prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane; who recorded this event? Jesus never wrote about it; and the Apostles that accompanied him were all asleep! So how did this get into the Bible? Then there are stories like Noah’s Ark, the Tower of Babel, or Joshua preventing the Sun from going down in order to win a war; this stuff defies the laws of reason, logic, and physics.

If you read his articles you will find it has everything to do with objective morality. But I understand you do not want to look into Mr Harris so here are some other non-religious sources that use similar reasoning.

The thesis of this essay is that morality is not objective in the same way that statements of empirically verifiable facts are objective, yet morality is objective in the ways that matter: moral judgments are not arbitrary;
Just because morality is not arbitrary doesn’t mean it is objective. And when I said morality is not objective, I meant the same way that statements of empirically verifiable facts are objective.

I meant what measure can you use to know it is really good as in absolutely good. Not your version or another humans version of good as this can be many different interpretations of what is good and there is no guarantee that it is absolutely good.
IMO what you call “absolutely good” does not exist.

How do they determine that it is actually good. They may agree but what is the basis for their choice being ultimately good. A group of people can be wrong just as much as an individual.
It is all based on opinion

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

One of the problems I do have with the “conspiracy theories” such as the one you are claiming; is there are too many people involved, and in order to pull it off, those involved would have to be too perfect.

If we assume scientific evidence points to your God as the creator of the big bang, and this evidence is so apparent that even a non expert such as yourself can plainly see (as you claim) That would mean the thousands of Biologists, Paleontologists, and various other scientists WORLD WIDE, who swear up and down about this theory, and who knows a heck of a lot more on this subject than you and I combined would have to conspire to deceive the public on an issue they know is not true.

Actually I am an expert in evolution, I am a biologist and have studied it for over 30 years. What conspiracy theory? I am talking about Human Nature. Most Humans do not want the Christian God to exist, they do not want to be held accountable for how they live their lives and spend their time.

ken: They would have to turn down fame, and fortune in order to keep this deception going. And for what? The greater good? To refute God? So Darwin doesn’t look bad?
What fame and fortune? As I stated above the Establishment which includes the news media, academia, and the entertainment media does not want the Christian God to exist, and they control most of the money and power and decide who gets the fame. They have far more money and power than orthodox Christians.

ken: I don’t think mankind is perfect enough to keep such a secret hidden for all of these years without not one person slipping up and taking the fame and fortune. I believe people are too greedy, too selfish, too fame driven to sit on top of such a story for such a long time; especially with so many people involved.

Such a conspiracy doesn’t sound realistic to me.
See above I am not talking about a conspiracy theory. You are right about people, that is why they stick with the Establishment orthodoxy, refuse to accept any evidence for the Christian God. The do not want to be held accountable for their greed, and selfishness. And they want all the millions that the Establishment can pay them for their research.

ken: By definition; if what we call a "supernatural" event took place, it would no longer be considered supernatural; but natural.
Well actually it is "natural" if God exists. But it is not how He usually operates within the universe. Read Jeremiah 33:25.

ken: Have any of these “creation science theories” gotten published for “peer review”? If so, how did this turn out for them? Let me guess…. more conspiracy theories.
Of course not, any theory that does not assume the philosophy of Naturalism is out of bounds and not considered "science".

ken: Many who don’t believe in evolution don’t distinguish between macro and micro evolution; yet they still believe in your God.
They probably don't know as much about the theory as I do. There is a big difference between the two. For one there is a huge amount of evidence, ie micro. For macro, very little evidence, primarily unwarranted historical extrapolation of microevolution.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are a lot more problems with the Bible other than the number of years written after Jesus death; like how Jesus never wrote anything down. If I were God and I wanted my message out there, I wouldn’t depend on flawed men with agendas and prejudices to deliver my message, I would have my perfect Son deliver my message. Instead he depended on various men write of him; many contradicting each other, then many years later the Catholic Church voted on which books were authentic and which were not worthy of being used for the Bible.
You demand higher criteria for the bible than all other records written about other famous people. Most if not all of these have had their events recorded by someone else besides the central figure and most have had their events written 100s of years after it happened like Alexander the great and no one questions them. The fact was there were lots of so-called religious written material around and they had to whittle it down to certain ones and these were consistent with each other.

Or when he prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane; who recorded this event? Jesus never wrote about it, and the Apostles that accompanied him were all asleep! So how did this get into the Bible? Then there are stories like Noah’s Ark, the Tower of Babel, or Joshua preventing the Sun from going down in order to win a war; this stuff defies the laws of reason, logic, and physics.
I do not know as I was not there, were you. Obviously, they knew Jesus was at the Garden of Gethsemane they may have heard part of what was happening and asked Jesus or there was another eyewitness besides the disciples such as one of the other disciples sneaking around, who knows. People do not ask these details of other writings from history and accept what happened. It is not really important as to the bigger picture and does not take away from the fact it could have happened.

I don't want to have to start debating about the entire bible stories validity. Let's keep on Jesus but more importantly the basic idea that people do believe in Jesus and follow his objective morals whether the details of the events are correct or not. The fact is mot historians support Jesus as a real person who was a preacher type, was claimed to do miracles and even his enermies acknowledged this by saying he was a sourcerer. That he was put to death for claiming to be the Son of God. It is the miracles that people dispute but this does not take away that Jesus lived a good life and was a good example for good morals.

Just because morality is not arbitrary doesn’t mean it is objective. And when I said morality is not objective, I meant the same way that statements of empirically verifiable facts are objective.
It is hard to prove morality as it is not a tangible thing like a rock or apple. That is why some try to align certain qualities such as human wellbeing to good morals and negative qualities to bad morals. In this way, we can better assess which moral positions can be regarded as always being good for humans no matter what. When it comes to evolution and survival certain moral positions will always be better and can be shown to be better with scientific reasoning just like they do with natural selection and certain behaviours like running faster will always allow a Gazelle to escape the lion.

IMO what you call “absolutely good” does not exist.
If you do not support objective morality then you will not support anything being absolutely good. But the problem is when someone says that another is wrong and often it is in the context of them saying they are wrong and the other person is right they are implying an absolute position because to determine that one person is correct there would have to be a measure of good that was not subject to personal views. That is why I say people say they have subjective morals but act like there are objective morals.

It is all based on opinion
Yes subjective morality is based on personal views.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot more problems with the Bible other than the number of years written after Jesus death; like how Jesus never wrote anything down. If I were God and I wanted my message out there, I wouldn’t depend on flawed men with agendas and prejudices to deliver my message, I would have my perfect Son deliver my message.
No you are not God, and do not have the power to make sure that your proper message got out accurately even thru the "flawed men with agendas and prejudices."

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually I am an expert in evolution, I am a biologist and have studied it for over 30 years. What conspiracy theory? I am talking about Human Nature. Most Humans do not want the Christian God to exist, they do not want to be held accountable for how they live their lives and spend their time.

What fame and fortune? As I stated above the Establishment which includes the news media, academia, and the entertainment media does not want the Christian God to exist, and they control most of the money and power and decide who gets the fame. They have far more money and power than orthodox Christians.

So most people don’t want God to exist because they don’t want to be held accountable for their how they live their lives? We don’t need God in order to be held accountable for our actions, we do that to each other. And if Theists were so concerned about being accountable to God, you wouldn’t have so many of them doing as much wrong as they do.

And I believe most people DO want God to exist; they just want him to exist in a way that is comfortable for them; a way that probably doesn’t meet your approval.

As far as Christians not having much power, I don’t think it is a coincidence that every President, and Vise President of the USA has been Christian, 99% of all members of Congressional and Judicial branches of our Government has been Christian as well. Most of the share holders of some of the largest corporations in the world are Christian. I don’t know about Orthodox Christian, but they still identify as Christian. Most of these people I think would be happy to know if science confirmed their beliefs, and much money could be made if somebody could do this

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You demand higher criteria for the bible than all other records written about other famous people. Most if not all of these have had their events recorded by someone else besides the central figure and most have had their events written 100s of years after it happened like Alexander the great and no one questions them. The fact was there were lots of so-called religious written material around and they had to whittle it down to certain ones and these were consistent with each other.
Extra ordinary claims require an extra ordinary amount of evidence. If history tells us in the past there were specific Kings and Military leaders who went around doing what Kings and military leaders typically do, I am likely to believe history without question. If a historic book tells me that a religious leader went around doing things that defy the laws of nature, I am going to be skeptical. Does this make sense to you?

I do not know as I was not there, were you. Obviously, they knew Jesus was at the Garden of Gethsemane they may have heard part of what was happening and asked Jesus or there was another eyewitness besides the disciples such as one of the other disciples sneaking around, who knows. People do not ask these details of other writings from history and accept what happened. It is not really important as to the bigger picture and does not take away from the fact it could have happened.

I don't want to have to start debating about the entire bible stories validity. Let's keep on Jesus but more importantly the basic idea that people do believe in Jesus and follow his objective morals whether the details of the events are correct or not. The fact is mot historians support Jesus as a real person who was a preacher type, was claimed to do miracles and even his enermies acknowledged this by saying he was a sourcerer. That he was put to death for claiming to be the Son of God. It is the miracles that people dispute but this does not take away that Jesus lived a good life and was a good example for good morals.
I have no problem with Jesus, I think he was a great leader, and a man who was morally superior to the God Christians claim was his father, but I don’t consider him God, nor the son of any God.

If you do not support objective morality then you will not support anything being absolutely good. But the problem is when someone says that another is wrong and often it is in the context of them saying they are wrong and the other person is right they are implying an absolute position because to determine that one person is correct there would have to be a measure of good that was not subject to personal views. That is why I say people say they have subjective morals but act like there are objective morals.
When people say something is wrong or right, they are actually just expressing their opinions; they arent think in the context of objective or subjective. It would be more accurate to say they believe they are right or wrong.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have anything other than your word to back up your claim? Because your word isn't good enough.
Yes, I have reasoning, if something exists outside the human mind then it exists objectively and the character of God exists outside of the human mind.

ken: Only a small percentage of humanity consists of Christians. So your claim that all of humanity confirms the existence of the Christian God is false
That is not what I was claiming in that post. I was stating that God's purpose for the universe and the earth are the same for all of humanity irrespective if they believe in Him or not.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Extra ordinary claims require an extra ordinary amount of evidence. If history tells us in the past there were specific Kings and Military leaders who went around doing what Kings and military leaders typically do, I am likely to believe history without question. If a historic book tells me that a religious leader went around doing things that defy the laws of nature, I am going to be skeptical. Does this make sense to you?
For historical figures like Alexander the Great people are believing information that is wrong because it was written 100s of years after the events and mostly guessed because there was no recorded info to go by. So it shows that they are willing to believe non-biblical stories even when wrong but as soon as the bible is mentioned they immediately say it is all made up without looking into it. Besides whether Jesus did miracles or not does not take away from his morality.

I have no problem with Jesus, I think he was a great leader, and a man who was morally superior to the God Christians claim was his father, but I don’t consider him God, nor the son of any God.
Jesus was God incarnate. He said when you look at me you are looking at God himself so they are the same. He claimed to be the Son of God and was crucified for this. He stuck up for God his father and his whole mission was to promote God the father and show people the way to him. Whenever we look at Jesus we will see the qualities of God the father in him.

When people say something is wrong or right, they are actually just expressing their opinions; they arent think in the context of objective or subjective. It would be more accurate to say they believe they are right or wrong.
They can believe they are right but who are they trying to convince that they believe they are right about what is good and bad. The problem is they often believe the other person is wrong in what they do. They are putting their idea of what is right or wrong onto the other person when they say that they are wrong about something and should not do this or that. People do it all the time becuase it is in their nature. It is intuitive and that is why I say people act like there is objective morals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I have reasoning, if something exists outside the human mind then it exists objectively and the character of God exists outside of the human mind.

That is not what I was claiming in that post. I was stating that God's purpose for the universe and the earth are the same for all of humanity irrespective if they believe in Him or not.

If that is what you believe; that's fine. But obviously that line of logic isn't going to work on someone who doesn't believe in God.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
For historical figures like Alexander the Great people are believing information that is wrong because it was written 100s of years after the events and mostly guessed because there was no recorded info to go by. So it shows that they are willing to believe non-biblical stories even when wrong but as soon as the bible is mentioned they immediately say it is all made up without looking into it. Besides whether Jesus did miracles or not does not take away from his morality.

Does what I said make sense to you?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does what I said make sense to you?
Do you mean your overall position that morals are subjective or that you do not believe the bible or that Jesus is anything special or can be a reliable source to put up as a model for following objective morality.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That is why morality is subjective. Your "objective" morality can be, and likely is different than some other's "objective" morality.

No, there are certain basic morals that almost all human societies agree on and they are very similar to the Ten Commandments which are based on God's objectively existing character, as shown in my earlier post.

yi: The definition of morality (including the root and etymological context of the word) is a set of principles by which living entities follow in order to successfully and progressively live. The etymology implies this set of principles is for entities that die. Fundamentally, morality is about survival - no matter how messed up the mechanism may be.

So you base your morality on a dictionary definition? How do you know it is right? And how do you know what success is? Many people believe there are some things are more important than just surviving and living, such as the Founders of the USA.

yi: That is right. Dahmer was a necrophiliac, sadist, sociopath. His entire psychological (and, therefore physical) survival was dependent on him satisfying his lusts for having sex with dead humans, blending in with society whilst maintaining a grandiose ego and enchanting charisma, trapping his victims, and inflicting pain upon other persons.

Again, he felt he needed to do this, and the consequences were trivial compared to his driven obsession for the aforementioned "lusts." His "morality" was a real and important to him as yours is to you. That is why morality is, at best, subjective. Living entities have very different aspirations and definitions for life, and living.
So you believe that he did nothing wrong? Do you think he should have never been sent to jail.

yi: God doesn't deal in morality. He is not moral; He does not die. We (entities that die) do. That is why we have such a hard time reconciling God - and we always try to apologize for Him when He doesn't need it at all. His will is focused on eternity, while morality is comparatively fleeting.

How do you know all this about God?

yi: In my opinion (which doesn't matter) He gives us too much credit, because He speaks to us as if we are mature spiritual beings that understand spiritual things. We are resolutely carnal - even so much that we hold God to our ephemeral standards that can't even stand the test of a century.
If there is no objective standard of morality, then no one is carnal.

yi: What is moral today is nowhere near moral 40 years ago, and that time was immoral compared to 150 years ago. The fact that morality changes means it is not fundamental.
Not for biblical Christianity, it has not changed in 3500 years. Now Christians have not always followed those morals and they often rationalized them away but they have always been in God's unchanging Word.

yi: God does not change; He does not "do" morality. He does Truth. Unfortunately, we often exchange His truth for a watered-down version calibrated to our morality.

How do you know these things about God? Not only does God do morality He does it right and truthfully. Truth encompasses morality, there is false morality which we often choose and then there is the True Morality based on God's objective unchanging character.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
No matter how rationalized, morality is completely subjective.

The fact that all people cannot agree on the same moral values hints this in the same way 1000+ Christian denominations imply Christianity, as it were, is subjective/dependent on interpretation.

If it as objective as one believes, there would be unity in its objectivity. Truth is objective, because no matter the setting the truth is the truth. Relativism is an illusion.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Do you mean your overall position that morals are subjective or that you do not believe the bible or that Jesus is anything special or can be a reliable source to put up as a model for following objective morality.
No! When I said extra ordinary claims require an extra ordinary amount of evidence if you expect to be believed. IOW all claims are not equal. Does this make sense to you?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That does not mean there may be only one set of objective morals that is right. Moral truths mean there can only be one set of morals that are true otherwise it contradicts what the truth in that there can only be one truth.

The definition of morality (including the root and etymological context of the word) is a set of principles by which living entities follow in order to successfully and progressively live. The etymology implies this set of principles is for entities that die. Fundamentally, morality is about survival - no matter how messed up the mechanism may be.
If that is the case then only certain moral positions will aid human well-being and survival. For example if people steal from each other and undermine trust and respect then this will lead to disharmony, revenge stealing and a dog eat dog society which will destroy society. So stealing can be shown to be something that does not aid survival no matter what time in history, culture or context. Put simply no group can steal from each other without bad repercussion that risk the groups survival.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No! When I said extra ordinary claims require an extra ordinary amount of evidence if you expect to be believed. IOW all claims are not equal. Does this make sense to you?
Yes it does make sense but as I said we do not need to prove any supernatural acts of Jesus to know that he was a good man who was a good example of living a good moral life.

Besides what sort of extraordinary claims do you think would be needed to prove Jesus done supernatural things. His enermies called him a sorcerer because of the miracles that were attributed to him. It seems Christs miracles was so well known that the only way to discredit them was to say that he practiced sorcery. So they were still acknowledging that something extraordinary was happening but put it down to Jesus performing magic and tricking people. But this does not go with the type of person Jesus was in being honest. This came from non-biblical sources who were anti Christian and did not have any reason to support Christ or Christianity.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
That does not mean there may be only one set of objective morals that is right. Moral truths mean there can only be one set of morals that are true otherwise it contradicts what the truth in that there can only be one truth.

If that is the case then only certain moral positions will aid human well-being and survival. For example if people steal from each other and undermine trust and respect then this will lead to disharmony, revenge stealing and a dog eat dog society which will destroy society. So stealing can be shown to be something that does not aid survival no matter what time in history, culture or context. Put simply no group can steal from each other without bad repercussion that risk the groups survival.

This is all your opinion - based on your own morality.

This does not work for a sociopath.
This does not work for someone who is a marauder at heart.

Their morality - their code - is much different, and the weight of what will keep them alive is measured much differently, because each respective person has a unique perception of what is considered valuable in, and to life.

Morality - the code for which entities that die use in order to maintain survival - is subjective.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.