Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read and understand the Bible literally. Some is in metaphorical language, but is usually easily explained in modern terms or as a homily.

Futurists, in my understanding; believe that God WILL fulfill His Promises, exactly as He has told us He will.
It is preterists who make out those Promises and threats have all happened in the past.
A very wrong belief, one that simply doesn't fit with history.

Rather it's Futurists that say God failed to fulfill His promises and instead issued empty threats he had no intention of bringing to pass FOR the people he promised they would come to pass for.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,694.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Rather it's Futurists that say God failed to fulfill His promises and instead issued empty threats he had no intention of bringing to pass FOR the people he promised they would come to pass for.
Unpleasant nonsense.
I believe that ALL of Gods Promises and threats, will come to pass.
Habakkuk 2:3 There is an Appointed time for the visions, they will testify at the destined hour and will not prove false. Though they delay; wait for it, for they will surely happen. Ezekiel 33:33

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unpleasant nonsense.
I get why you find it unpleasant.. but it's hardly nonsense.
I believe that ALL of Gods Promises and threats, will come to pass.

Just not TO and FOR the people He promised they would... right?

Case in point:
Jesus Promised the First century peoples at Sardis that His thief's coming would befall them, back then:

Revelation 3:3
Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

You say the above verse, taken literally, and literally applied to the very people the Promise/threat was directly addressed and delivered to, is unpleasant nonsense.

You say instead, that verse was not FOR them, not Spoken TO them, nor was it any kind of warning they needed to heed at all, in fact you say they could just ignore Jesus' words here, and not obey them at all, as you say the promise was instead meant for some other people thousands of years removed.

I disagree. Vehemently.
The text simply does not allow for such stretching, elasticizing and twisting as your view requires.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,694.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I get why you find it unpleasant.. but it's hardly nonsense.

Just not TO and FOR the people He promised they would... right?

Case in point:
Jesus Promised the First century peoples at Sardis that His thief's coming would befall them, back then:

Revelation 3:3
Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

You say the above verse, taken literally, and literally applied to the very people the Promise/threat was directly addressed and delivered to, is unpleasant nonsense.

You say instead, that verse was not FOR them, not Spoken TO them, nor was it any kind of warning they needed to heed at all, in fact you say they could just ignore Jesus' words here, and not obey them at all, as you say the promise was instead meant for some other people thousands of years removed.

I disagree. Vehemently.
The text simply does not allow for such stretching, elasticizing and twisting as your view requires.
In the Letters to the Church's, Revelation 2 to 3, they are advice and admonitions to all the Church thru the age, up to us today.
If this is not the case, then why take any notice of it and the many scriptures that were spoken then. Basically your beliefs destroy the Bible and make into just a history book. NOT a smart, intelligent or even Christian thing to do.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But "a watch in the night" IS less than a day... and the Psalmist says that "a watch in the night", (a time period we know IS less than a day) is the the same as 1000 years to God.
Do you disagree?

In 2 Peter 3:8 what do you take a day to mean then? Do you take it to mean less than a day? Do you interpret it like such?

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that less than a day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as less than a day.

Since 2 Peter 3:8 is obviously connected with Psalms 90:4, in order to interpret in a consistent manner then, one can't have it meaning a full day in the former and less than a day in the latter. It has to be one or the other, it can't be both. So which is it then?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The time is near for the prophesies to be fulfilled:
About 20 generations have been reading these same verses.
What makes you think this present generation is going to see the full fulfillment of prophecies?

"THE TIME IS NIGH AT HAND" AND "COMING IN SWIFTNESS" REVELATION 1st century Jerusalem 70ad

Matthew 24:3
Yet of Him sitting on the Mount of the Olives, the Disciples came toward to Him according to own saying "be telling to us!
when shall these be being?
and what the sign of Thy parousia<3952> and full-end<4930> of the Age?

Luke 21:31 Thus also ye whenever ye may be seeing These-things becoming ye are knowing that nigh/egguV <1451> is the Kingdom of the God.

Romans 13:
11 And this knowing the time, that hour it-is already out of sleep to be roused, for now nearer<1452> of us the Salvation than when we believed.
12 The Night progresses, the yet Day is nigh<1448>.
We should be putting off then the works of the Darkness, we should be putting on the implements of the Light.

James 5:8
be ye patient!, also stand-fast the hearts of ye, that the Parousia <3952> of the Lord has-neared/hggiken <1448> (5758);

1 Peter 4:7
Of all-things yet the End<5056> is nigh<1448>
be sane then, and be sober into the prayers,

Revelation 1:1
An-un-veiling of Jesus Christ, which gives to Him, the GOD, to show to the bond-servants of Him, which-things is binding to be becoming In/en <1722> Swiftness/tacei <5034>.
Revelation 1:3
Blessed/happy the one reading and the ones hearing the words of the Prophecy and keepings in it having been written/gegrammena <1125> (5772),
That the Time is nigh<1451>.

Revelation 22:6
And said to me: "These the Words Faithful and True. And Lord, the GOD of the spirits of the holy Prophets commissions the messenger of Him to show to the bond-servents of Him which-things is binding to be becoming In/en <1722> Swiftness/tacei <5034>.
Revelation 22:10
And he is saying to me "no thou should be sealing the Words of the Prophecy of the Scroll, this.
That the Time/Season is nigh<1451>

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,694.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
About 20 generations have been reading these same verses.
What makes you think this present generation is going to see the full fulfillment of prophecies?
Reasons to believe that we will see the end times events soon:
1/ Nearly 2000 years have elapsed since Jesus was on the earth, almost fulfilling Hosea 6:2 and Luke 13:32 There were exact 2000 year periods Adam to Abraham, Abraham to Jesus, then the 2000 of the Church age, after that there will be an exact 1000 years of Sabbath rest for the world.
2/ Unsustainable world population, diminished resources, water and food shortages, etc.
3/ Iran and all the Islamic peoples determination to destroy Israel. Nothing man can do will solve the Middle East crisis, the Lord will intervene as prophesied. Joel 2:30-32

You love history; what happen to EVERY empire, every nation whose population outstripped resources?
Any reason to think we are any different today?

Upvote 0