the pastor wrote me a letter, but i don't understand it; what does it mean?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
i was baptized by two Christian churches. but then the Church had nullified those baptisms, so i had been subsequently baptized by LDS.

I have never heard of a baptism being nullified before. I don't actually think you can really do that. (I mean, you can claim to have nullified it, but I believe that what God does in baptism cannot be nullified).

The Church has communicated to me that my thoughts regarding the identity of Jesus Christ are irrelevant, based on ignorance.

I didn't ask what the Church had said. I asked what you thought about what you think of the claim that you follow another Christ than the Church does?

how are you relating this to other religions?

I don't understand your question. God makes an absolute claim on a Christian. You can't serve both God and something else.

Upvote 0

vnct0000

Nov 23, 2016
Chicago
✟16,485.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have never heard of a baptism being nullified before. I don't actually think you can really do that.
through excommunication.

(I mean, you can claim to have nullified it, but I believe that what God does in baptism cannot be nullified).
there are different views.

I didn't ask what the Church had said.
the Church has greater authority than you do.

I asked what you thought about what you think of the claim that you follow another Christ than the Church does?
i believe that the modern western Christian Church is apostate.

I don't understand your question. God makes an absolute claim on a Christian. You can't serve both God and something else.
i believe that the religions are intentioned to serve people. i do not believe that people should serve religions. people can manufacture and dissolve religions as they see fit.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
the Church has greater authority than you do.

I'm not trying to claim any authority on this point. I'm trying to explore their claim that you are following a different Christ.

i believe that the modern western Christian Church is apostate.

I'm starting to see why you were refused membership... Do you think you have been much influenced by the LDS here, since you say they baptised you?

i believe that the religions are intentioned to serve people. i do not believe that people should serve religions. people can manufacture and dissolve religions as they see fit.

Yes, religions - as systems of belief and practice - serve people. But Christians serve God. We are not free to manufacture and dissolve the way we do that at whim.

Reactions: slro
Upvote 0

vnct0000

Nov 23, 2016
Chicago
✟16,485.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not trying to claim any authority on this point. I'm trying to explore their claim that you are following a different Christ.
they claim that i follow the LDS Christ, although i had ceased LDS membership 20 years ago.

I'm starting to see why you were refused membership... Do you think you have been much influenced by the LDS here, since you say they baptised you?
the LDS church had a mixture of good and bad claims. they do not require full doctrinal alignment prior to membership as the mainstream Christians do.

Yes, religions - as systems of belief and practice - serve people. But Christians serve God. We are not free to manufacture and dissolve the way we do that at whim.
i am free to manufacture a new religion as i see fit, and i do not do so whimsically. i am not under the jurisdiction of the modern western Christians.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't see it as a matter of jurisdiction but as a matter of belonging (in an organic sense, like a part of the body). If you manufacture a new religion, you will be alone in it; and is that really going to be healthy for you?

Upvote 0

vnct0000

Nov 23, 2016
Chicago
✟16,485.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't see it as a matter of jurisdiction but as a matter of belonging (in an organic sense, like a part of the body).
i was removed/excommunicated from the body. i'm not permitted to be married within the Church, for example.

If you manufacture a new religion, you will be alone in it; and is that really going to be healthy for you?
no, there are others. i have been removed/excommunicated from the family of the Church, and am therefore more alone in the Church.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
One thing I would suggest, whether you remain in Christianity or move on, is to avoid religious groups that insist upon any sort of "covenant agreement". Let your yes be yes and your no be no, and avoid any kind of set-in-stone agreement that attempts to lock you in with binding language.

-

Upvote 0

vnct0000

Nov 23, 2016
Chicago
✟16,485.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
One thing I would suggest, whether you remain in Christianity or move on, is to avoid religious groups that insist upon any sort of "covenant agreement". Let your yes be yes and your no be no, and avoid any kind of set-in-stone agreement that attempts to lock you in with binding language.
i've never encountered a group that doesn't attempt to bind me in to their doctrines. it doesn't exist in my experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fadeaway

Nov 26, 2016
Boise
✟7,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"I refer you to the emotional and rhetorical swing of your last two emails. They encapsulate the bind into which you repeatedly place yourself. In one moment, you inspire a collegial debate and seek affiliation. In the next, you are unnecessarily and inaccurately argumentative and divisive. It is this pattern that has resulted in your losing access to deeper community or involvement for you at -------- Community Church.

This reality has caused me great sadness because I believe you to be a good and kind man at your core. However, your seemingly ineradicable pattern of self-sabotage has proven to be too difficult to accommodate. You are stuck in a distorted version of what happened to you here twenty years ago and now your style of near constant aggressive argument is the sole reason that all of the doors for you here at -------- have drawn closed.

As a reminder to our previous discussions, you are still welcome to attend weekend services.

We wish you well in your next endeavor."

"I refer you to the emotional and rhetorical swing of your last two emails. They encapsulate the bind into which you repeatedly place yourself. In one moment, you inspire a collegial debate and seek affiliation. In the next, you are unnecessarily and inaccurately argumentative and divisive. It is this pattern that has resulted in your losing access to deeper community or involvement for you at -------- Community Church.

This reality has caused me great sadness because I believe you to be a good and kind man at your core. However, your seemingly ineradicable pattern of self-sabotage has proven to be too difficult to accommodate. You are stuck in a distorted version of what happened to you here twenty years ago and now your style of near constant aggressive argument is the sole reason that all of the doors for you here at -------- have drawn closed.

As a reminder to our previous discussions, you are still welcome to attend weekend services.

Upvote 0

Fadeaway

Nov 26, 2016
Boise
✟7,802.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That sound like a very "intellectual" and arrogant letter from a pastor more concerned about guarding his own "place" in the church, than being a humble servant of Jesus. So many times i have encountered this in the church. Don't let yourself be further undermined or spiritually abused by any pastor who puts himself above God. Walk away and walk with Jesus.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That sound like a very "intellectual" and arrogant letter from a pastor more concerned about guarding his own "place" in the church, than being a humble servant of Jesus. So many times i have encountered this in the church. Don't let yourself be further undermined or spiritually abused by any pastor who puts himself above God. Walk away and walk with Jesus.

I disagree. Based on the OP's posts in this thread it's becoming clearer and clearer that the pastor did the right thing.

Based on his posts here I wouldn't even allow him to come as a visitor. That the church invited him to continue as a visitor was an act of charity on their part.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I disagree. Based on the OP's posts in this thread it's becoming clearer and clearer that the pastor did the right thing.

Based on his posts here I wouldn't even allow him to come as a visitor. That the church invited him to continue as a visitor was an act of charity on their part.

Bit unfair and unChristian as everyone should be welcome. Jesus welcomed 'everyone'.

Is it not every Christians job to preach the good news and comfort 'all'? In our church we would welcome anyone. Listen and also preach the good news. Some seeking the true home require travel. Who are we to close the door in their face?

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bit unfair and unChristian as everyone should be welcome. Jesus welcomed 'everyone'.

Is it not every Christians job to preach the good news and comfort 'all'? In our church we would welcome anyone. Listen and also preach the good news. Some seeking the true home require travel. Who are we to close the door in their face?

Thanks for your opinion. However, we base our practices on the Word of God, not on your opinion of what we should do.

You might not approve of what the church did, but they were right to remove the OP from membership.

The Church is not for the unsaved, but for the Body of Christ.

The church is a hospital for sinners seeking God, not for the perfect.

The Bible teaches that the Church is for the Body of Christ, not for the unsaved. The Bible tells us that there are requirements for membership and also the duty of the Church to remove those who are unrepentant in their sin or who do not hold to sound doctrine.

If you don't like that, then your problem is with God's instructions to the Church and you can take it up with Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your opinion. However, we base our practices on the Word of God, not on your opinion of what we should do.

You might not approve of what the church did, but they were right to remove the OP from membership.

The Church is not for the unsaved, but for the Body of Christ.

The church is a hospital for sinners seeking God, not for the perfect.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus would NEVER close the door on ANYONE

In your opinion. But the fact remains that God's Word gives us instructions on criteria for church membership and tell us that we are to practice discipline up to and excluding excommunication for those who will not repent of their sin or who promote false doctrine.

Upvote 0