The Pastor King

TrueWords

Nov 3, 2005
✟651.00
Faith
Christian
Christian Forums is a multi-denominational Christian forum message board community uniting all Christians as one body.
832 users online now

User CP Search/Bible Favorites Latest Daily Own AllRead Refer Buddy PDA Stuff Donate Logout
Radio Weather Map Files Gallery Guestbook Prayer Devotion Blogs Usenet News Calendar Email
CFIM IRC Custom Bank Armor Pets Jobs Auction Bless Arcade Quiz RPG FAQ Members Staff

* Christian Forums > Christians Only Section > Theology > General Theology
The Pastor King
Welcome, TrueWords.
You last visited: Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Private Messages: 0, Total 41.
Blessings: 1294

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (1 members and 0 guests)
TrueWords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next

#1 *
4th November 2005, 02:30 PM

TrueWords

Health: 100%
Blessings: 1,294

The Pastor King
hello all,

I write this in love and hope. I pray tht thos who are in one of the five fold ministry called "pastors' will consider this also. I do believe in biblical pastors. but much of what we call the pastors role today is not biblical.lease have patience with me and I would love to hear your response. This comes out of many years of learning from the Lord on these things.

THE PASTOR KING

There is a man today who is exalted above all others as he stands on top a large platform in certain gatherings. He is the one who dominates most of the speaking week after week. Often he has a special chair reserved for him, usually on the stage, and no one is allowed to sit there but him. He generally rules in a large castle-like structure with lower ranked servants under him and has a sign outside with his name on it. Usually he is the only on who greets people at the door with a handshake as they leave the show. Many flattering titles are given to him such as, "Reverend" "Master of Divinity", or "President", and he uses expressions such as "My church" or "My people".

Almost all of the activities in the gatherings are controlled by him, and no one is permitted to speak or minister unless he allows it. But, there is rarely
opportunity for anyone else to minister as Christ leads, for they are not on the man made programs. Many dangerously look to this one man alone for all their spiritual guidance in the gatherings, rather than wait on God.

The position that he holds is unbiblical, but sadly, the people love to have it so. This man is known today as "THE PASTOR", and he reigns as a king over the body of Christ. His position as head can usurp the headship of Christ in the meetings and hinder the priesthood of all believers. These things are serious and should not be taken lightly as I fear many will do. Paul warned us of such things and said, "Beware, lest any man spoil you" Col. 2:8. The word"spoil" means," to rob you of your goods".

Though there are blessed pastor giftings in the body of Christ, and they may be loving christians; the dominant role of THE Pastor today does not exist biblically and is quite different. This Pope-like figure comes out of the worldly traditions of men, a false Roman Catholic heirarcy and misunderstanding of Christ headship in the body ministry.

His very function often quenches the Spirit in the rest of the body from edifying one another and from waiting on Christ leading to minister. And sadly, the system he rules in can create a weak, dysfunctional, pew warming body that plays church. I write this in love to your soul.

Give Us A King

There is a story in the bible where God's people said "Give us a King, to judge us" (1 Samuel 8:6). But God was already leading them by His Spirit and through the prophets. When they wanted a king over them, God allowed it, but told Samuel, "they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me that I should not reign over them" (1 Samuel 8:7). God also told Samuel to warn them that the king would bring them into bondage, take their goods and use them for his glory (1 Samuel 8:11-19).
Similarly today, we almost hear the people cry, "Give us a pastor king", especially when they are between pastors and think they need another. But by doing so, they may be rejecting God from reigning over them. And if a devil gets into the pulpit, he would bind the whole assembly. "Beware", this is a very real danger today.

Who is to lead?

The bible teaches that Christ is to lead in every part of the body. He leads as the head, "From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love" (Ephesians 4:16). Notice, that through Christ headship the whole body can edify itself, and not just rely on one man. This should be allowed to happen every time the saints gather in Christ and wait on Him; then we will see the Lord manifest himself in fullness in the body and not just in one pastor.
When was the last time you waited for Christ to lead you in the gatherings to love and edify your brethren. The New Testament clearly teaches us that all are allowed to lead in this way, as God leads us.

When the church comes together any person sitting by can have something revealed to them and they are allowed to share it (1 Cor.14:30). They can also have a psalm, a doctrine, a tongue, a revelation an interpretation, (1 Cor.14:26); edify one another (1 Thess. 5:11); use all their giftings as they wait on God (Romans 12:1-10); have a spiritual manifestation to profit all (1 Cor 12:7); admonish one another (Romans15:14); teach one another (Colossians 3:16); exhort one another, (Hebrews 3:13); warn unruly (1Thess. 5:14); confess their faults one to one another (James 5:16); anoint the sick (James 5:14); comfort one another (1 Thess. 5:11a); prophesy to one another (1 Cor. 14:31); discipline erring brethren (1 Cor5:3-5, 6:1-6); pray for one another (James 5:?); lead in prayer and song (1 Cor. 14:15); have a psalm hymn or spiritual song (Col. 3:16); any man can speak or minister as God leads (1 Peter 4:10,11); and basically have the same care one for another (1 Cor. 12:25); and serve one another (Galatians 5:13). We must follow after Christ who will lead us in this way, and not follow after man-made programs and dead rituals that quench the Spirit.
The New Testament teaches mutual edification by all as we wait on God. Never do we see a one man pastor role controlling and dominating over everyone, except in the negative, with men like Diotrephes in the bible, who loved to have the preeminence among them, and did not receive the brethren and cast some out of the gatherings (3 John 9). John said don't follow such men .
Sadly, the one man pastor today has such unbiblical pressure put on him to perform and satisfy the crowds, that if he doesn't, he may be removed, or the people may run after the intense competition from many other superstar ministers; who are ever willing to draw away disciples after themselves.
Much of the pastors role today, becomes a need for him to promote his position and to control and feed everyone. It becomes a conglomerate of man-made programs, tight time schedules, entertainment, business meetings, board meetings, strategic planning, marketing strategies, growth seminars and showmanship; it is very troubling. What, with all the money dealings for building projects, salaries, and self promotion; much of the church begins to look like a dead corporation of men with the pastor as head and president, rather than the body of Christ edifying themselves with Christ leading as head. Is Christ outside knocking, while men run after the superstars and the one man show? "Beware"!

God Gives Ministering Elders

God also raises up men as elders, who should all able to serve, and feed the flock, but he is against those who lord over the saints and hinder Christ working in the body.

Paul exhorted Titus to ordained elders "in every church"(Acts 14:23), and never one man called the pastor. Elders are first called of God as in Acts 20:28, where the Holy Ghost made them overseers to feed the flock. Then the bible teaches that believers are to "know them which labor among you" (1 Thess. 5:12). They are then recognized and ordained by the body as they freely minister in the gatherings, which all are allowed to do. This is a far cry from the bible schools that men gave set up and other ministry requirements. These men are know as they all speak the word and their lifestyle follows, they can't buy their way in through bible school.

Because of their maturity and closeness to God, these elders are able to speak the word of God more often with soundness and direction. But of coarse this does not mean that the rest of the body cannot use their giftings from God. On the contrary, the true elders will encourage and equip the saints for ministry and never want to quench the Spirit. They seek the things which are the Lord's, unlike the false leaders who seek their own.

Many will say that their pastor does not force any to submit or Lord over them. Well, try and use your giftings from God for more than a few minutes whenever you are lead in the gatherings and watch who interups you. If you don't agree with the one man minister he may tell you to leave HIS church or to start your own. "Beware".

God gives the church gifts,"Some apostles, some prophets, some evangelist, and some pastors and teachers" (Ephesians 4:11), and not just pastors as we see today. Doesn't it seem strange that the pastor is the main one of these ministries today? Furthermore,
Elders are not just pastors as some may try to say.
1 Peter 5:1 for example, show that Peter was an elder and also an apostle. Elders may be any of these giftings.

Authority

Jesus said the church is not to be as the worlds authority and government, he said "ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. 26 But it shall not be so among you" (Matthew 20:25-28). But sadly, this is how the heirarcy of the one man pastor role is set up today. Christ rebuked their role.

There are two kinds of authority today, divine authority, and official authority. Official authority is vested in governments, parents and police etc.We must obey the official authorities as long as they don't ask us to violate God's will. But if they go against God's will, we must obey God, as Peter did when the authorities told him not to speak in Jesus name; he did so anyway. This can be similar to the pastors today who would forbid others to speak of Christ to their brethren and the lost in the assembly. But we aught to obey God rather than men. Many a martyr of Christ has had to deny official authorities and been killed for doing so. Official authority is not dependent on a godly character, but more on position, rank, and education.

The opposite is true for God's divine authority, it is only transmitted to godly men who are in Christ. For divine authority comes from Christ alone to his body the church, and is not so much a position or office in itself. The Lord Jesus Christ has been given all power (Matthew 28:18), and he authorizes his body to minister. He is the head from whom all authority and power flows. Even though we are to submit to elders, when they preach the word of God and follow after Christ. We are also told to "submit to one another"( Ephesians 5:21 We should do this because we can all have authority as we are lead of Christ to speak the word of God in love and use any of the giftings He gives. The authority is in the Spirit and the word not in a formal title.

So a pastor does not have the power to allow or disallow another saint to minister under Christ headship. To try and do so is wrong and comes out of the "Official authority mindset"; and can set him up as a lord over all. "Beware".

We read in Mark, that Jesus "...taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes" (Mark 1:22). He wasn't a pharisee or a political leader yet he had authority. This authority in the word and his life and is similar to the authority of a elder in the gatherings or any man who speaks the truth.

Excuses

Really, there are no good excuses to avoid following after Christ leading. But the dethroning of the one man pastor king is often fought with a flurry of fallacies, fears, pride, and distortions of truth. So lets look at just a few of them.

By pastors - "I do allow freedom. Why, just four weeks ago, so and so gave a few second testimony". Firstly, A
pastor alone doesn't biblically have the right to "allow" or "disallow" anyone of the saints to minister as Christ leads them. They can correct and exhort ( Titus 1:9) but not hinder freedom. Secondly, they use these rare "set up" situations to try and justify themselves. But this is not what the bible speaks of; try and use your giftings and test if it's really allowed.

By the people - "But so many other assemblies do it, are you saying most of them are wrong". This is a fallacy argument appealing to the majority. But we know that the majority is not always right. Many reformers rightly stood alone against the whole Roman Catholic church. And the majority forsook Christ.

By pastors - "There would be confusion". This shows the fear of man and brings the snare of the one controlling minister. We should not fear if we trust in God . Paul even said, "there must be heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest" (1 Cor.11:19). The heresies are then exposed, and the approved ones are made known.

What to do

Follow after Christ. Let the one man pastor king step down and let him be part of the body. Get rid of the pulpit, the altar the programs, tight time schedules, meet in homes and wait on God.

God Bless

contact me anytime

TrueWords

Nov 3, 2005
✟651.00
Faith
Christian
To all.

sorry for posting tis by mistake, omit this top part,

"Christian Forums is a multi-denominational Christian forum message board community uniting all Christians as one body.
832 users online now

User CP Search/Bible Favorites Latest Daily Own AllRead Refer Buddy PDA Stuff Donate Logout
Radio Weather Map Files Gallery Guestbook Prayer Devotion Blogs Usenet News Calendar Email
CFIM IRC Custom Bank Armor Pets Jobs Auction Bless Arcade Quiz RPG FAQ Members Staff

* Christian Forums > Christians Only Section > Theology > General Theology
The Pastor King
Welcome, TrueWords.
You last visited: Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Private Messages: 0, Total 41.
Blessings: 1294

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (1 members and 0 guests)
TrueWords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next

#1 *
4th November 2005, 02:30 PM

TrueWords

Health: 100%
Blessings: 1,294

Upvote 0

Count

Apr 27, 2004
Athens
✟15,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TrueWords said:
By pastors - "I do allow freedom. Why, just four weeks ago, so and so gave a few second testimony". Firstly, A
pastor alone doesn't biblically have the right to "allow" or "disallow" anyone of the saints to minister as Christ leads them. They can correct and exhort ( Titus 1:9) but not hinder freedom. Secondly, they use these rare "set up" situations to try and justify themselves. But this is not what the bible speaks of; try and use your giftings and test if it's really allowed.

Often people tell me phrases like that: "We are allowed to do this and that in our church", meaning by that that they have much freedom in their churches.

This really irritates me! Once someone uses the word 'allow' means that somebody who is in a higher position has the authority to allow others do something. That means that particular church is divided in two classes, by those who allow and those who are allowed.

In the church there is no such a word 'allowed'. There is no one who has the right to allow or forbid us do something in the church's meetings.

Upvote 0

TrueWords

Nov 3, 2005
✟651.00
Faith
Christian
Count

Amen, i see your heart in your words, and your sincerity. i appreciate that.

i agree with you, when they say "oh, we allow all that" the reason they have to say that is because they cannot avoid the clear scriptural on this matter. But when I visit their assembly ( as i have done sometimes) they have a one man dominated show and noone is free to speak unless the "pastor" allows it, and even then if you do speak it is as if you have shackles on your feet and are about to be silenced at any moment.

As you said, it "really irritates me"

Bye for now

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes . The way that groups use leaders is exactly the same as when the Israelites didn't want to go up to the mountain and listen to the Lord , themselves . *That* is why there was a need for the Scriptures - they didn't want to hear and so needed writings . The Israelites descendants then wanted a human king even though the Lord was to be their king .

So , now we are able to have the Holy Spirit as our teacher and Jesus as our mediator . Yet , they are not good enough . People still want only the physical writings of the Scriptures and human kings and mediators .

Upvote 0

ffinder

Burned but alive!!
Dec 7, 2003
Europe
Visit site
✟363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
TrueWords said:
StevenL

Thanks for the encouragement , I seldom get it.

I pray the Lord would set his people free from all that binds them and hinders Christ free ministry in the body.

Amen!

Dear TrueWords,

I fully agree with you in everything you wrote.
I also thing your message should be posted in all the charismatic Pentecostal Baptist fundamentalist & conservative forums!

Let me add just one more thing. In 1Cor 14:26 the Word of God commands us how a church service or a church meeting should be conducted.

The Word of God commands:

1Co 14:29 And if there are two or three prophets, let them speak, and let the others judge. If a revelation is revealed to another sitting by, let the first be silent.

So if a pastor is preaching or prophesying the others should judge OUT LOUD what he is saying. Not only that but..
if revelation is revealed to another, the pastor should STOP PREACHING and hear what the other believer is saying.

The fact that pastors preach and do not stop preaching when someone receives a revelation shows that they disobey the Word of God and as far as i'm concerned disobedience is sin.

Now go tell pastors to stop preaching when someone wants to say something from God and that if they do not stop they are sinning against the Lord!

It is virtually impossible to change the system and kick out the old pyramid structure. Its far easier to start something new.

FF

Upvote 0

TrueWords

Nov 3, 2005
✟651.00
Faith
Christian
You said,

It is virtually impossible to change the system and kick out the old pyramid structure. Its far easier to start something new.
"

My response,

I agree somewhat with you, though I have been sent to places by the Lord, and seen changes for a time. After sharing about some off these things I have seen the pastor (so called0 take off his microphone from his body re arrange the seating to two sides in a large circular position and all were facing eachothe in tw or three rows, and all could share freely as God lead. it was great for a while, until the devil popped up his ugly head and started to cause division an ears, and eventulaly it collapsed. part of the problem was that they did still kept the authority of the pastor and they did not go from the cold building to homes. They also were use to the old ways and it takes time for transition.

i have seen other assemblies do similar after sharing the truth of these things. all were alllowed to share as they were led. But again the pastor rule was not changed and the building denomination remained and many peple there had been so used to the form that they were unable to enter in. It lasted for a while and then collapsed. But if the brethren can make the full transition, the radical move to come home and gather in simplicity around Christ they have a good start. Though I have seen home meetings collapse also. They had wrong foundations layed and Christ was not the centre. I have seen things like, limiting time speech for others wen they speak. This did not allow for full teaching from whoever had a word. So teaching lacked in the meetings and others were not prperly fed. They had a mid week teaching by one or two of the elders. this became a form and very much like the one man pastor show. They also fought over certain issues and this caused a split and eventualy the whole assembly collapsed. The sad things was that they were gathering for quite a while and had many brothers and sister with them.

I find in the gathering s we have (which we have been doing for some fifteen years or so) many people have come through and some stayed and others left for whatever reasons. But we want to radically follow the Lord and we are committed to the work and walk. This commitment is very important. if we lack this nothing gets done. if a person goes to gather with believers and has the mindset, that as soon as there is a proble, they are out of there, that will not help anyone. We need to work through things and in love and patience. If we are committed in love to God and his way He will help us, and he has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TrueWords

Nov 3, 2005
✟651.00
Faith
Christian
To all, here is a quote from a man I met names Frank Viola. i met i him in a house church (so called0 conference in South Carolina,

"The Pastor.[1] He is the fundamental figure of the Protestant faith. He is the chief, cook, and bottle-washer of today’s Christianity. So prevailing is the Pastor in the minds of most Christians that he is better known, more highly praised, and more heavily relied upon than Jesus Christ Himself!

*** Remove the Pastor and modern Christianity collapses. Remove the Pastor and virtually every Protestant church would be thrown into a panic. Remove the Pastor and Protestantism as we know it dies. The Pastor is the dominating focal point, mainstay, and centerpiece of the modern church. He is the embodiment of Protestant Christianity.

*** But here is the profound irony. There is not a single verse in the entire NT that supports the existence of the modern day Pastor! He simply did not exist in the early church.

*** (Note that I am using the term “Pastor” throughout this booklet to depict the modern pastoral office and role. I am not speaking of the specific individuals who fill this role. By and large, those who serve in the office of Pastor are wonderful people. They are honorable, decent, and often gifted Christians who love God and have a zeal to serve His people. But it is the role they are fulfilling that both Scripture and church history are opposed to as this article will show.)[2]

******************** The Pastor is in the Bible . . . Right?

**** The word “Pastors” does appear in the NT:

*And he gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as PASTORS and teachers (Ephesians 4:11, NASB).

*The following observations are to be made about this text.

**** This is the only verse in the NT where the word “Pastor” is used.[3] One solitary verse is a mighty scanty piece of evidence on which to hang the entire Protestant faith! In this regard, there is more Biblical authority for snake handling than there is for the modern Pastor. (Mark 16:18 and Acts 28:3-6 both mention handling snakes. So snake handling wins out two verses to one verse.)[4]

*** The word is used in the plural. It is “Pastors.” This is significant. For whoever these “Pastors” are, they are plural in the church, not singular. Consequently, there is no Biblical support for the practice of Sola Pastora (single Pastor).

*** The Greek word translated “Pastors” is poimen. It means shepherds. (“Pastor” is the Latin word for shepherd.) “Pastor,” then, is a metaphor to describe a particular function in the church. It is not an office or a title.[5] A first-century shepherd had nothing to do with the specialized and professional sense it has come to have in modern Christianity. Therefore, Ephesians 4:11 does not envision a pastoral office, but merely one of many functions in the church. Shepherds are those who naturally provide nurture and care for God’s sheep. It is a profound error, therefore, to confuse shepherds with an office or title as is commonly conceived today.[6]

*** At best, this text is oblique. It offers absolutely no definition or description of who Pastors are. It simply mentions them. Regrettably, we have filled this word with our own Western concept of what a Pastor is. We have read the modern idea of the modern Pastor back into the NT. Never in the imagination of a hallucinating man would any first-century Christian conceive of the modern pastoral office! Catholics have made the same error with the word “priest.” You can find the word “priest” used in the NT to refer to a Christian three times.[7] Yet a priest in the first-century church was a far cry from the man who dresses in black and wears a backwards collar!

**** Richard Hanson makes this point plain when he says, “For us the words bishops, presbyters, and deacons are stored with the associations of nearly two thousand years. For the people who first used them the titles of these offices can have meant little more than inspectors, older men and helpers . . . it was when unsuitable theological significance began to be attached to them that the distortion of the concept of Christian ministry began.”[8]

*** In my books Rethinking the Wineskin and Who is Your Covering?, I show that first-century shepherds were the local elders (presbyters)[9] and overseers of the church.[10] And their function was completely at odds with the modern pastoral role.[11]
"

Upvote 0

Count

Apr 27, 2004
Athens
✟15,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was looking into the internet to find information about Atkerson and I found a writing by David Miller. Whoever is interested to read it there is the link below, but I just wanted to post a part of this material which impressed me.

The article talks about the different opinions some have about the role of women in the church. By the way I don't agree with Atkerson's view, but this is not the issue. The issue is what I have bolded below.

That is what I had tried to convey to you brother. It's not the "right" doctrines that unite us, it's the fellowship based upon the spirit. If somebody put emphasis in any doctrine, e.g. that of women role in the church, those who believe women can speak and teach cannot fellowship with those who believe women should remain silent.

http://www.housechurch.org/elists/hc-talk/2004-April/000881.html

"One last thought. Last month, Jon Zens and I met with Gene Edwards and
several other men. One of the men there said to me and Jon, "if you
guys really knew what the other believed, you guys would kill each
other. You are nothing alike in your theology." Now in my perspective,
this should have clued him in that we were walking by the right spirit.
It truly is a testimony to the operation of God's spirit when men lay
aside their theology to do what God moves upon them to do. Unity in
fellowship is based upon the Spirit and not upon doctrine and theology.
Believers often have trouble truly incorporating this understanding into
their walk."

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.

Upvote 0

TrueWords

Nov 3, 2005
✟651.00
Faith
Christian
Count,

I know where yo are comning from and I agree to a point. I have been very patient with brethren in our own gatherings who have wrong doctrine but it must eventually come to the truth. We cannot just avoid doctrines of devils and damnable doctrines for the sake of a so called unity.

Paul said that we should seek to speak the same things and have the same mind that there be no divisions among us 1 Corinthians. This is possible if the body is waiting on the Lord and under his headship.

Jesus said if we do his will we shall know of the doctrine. So when a person is not doing Gods will they do not know of the doctrine and this is where all fasle doctrine comes from. The bible teaches of damnable doctrines and doctrines of devils etc. These things can be very dangerous. While it is true that our unity is in the Spirit the Spirit gives us truth and leads us to all truth, part of our unity is in the truth and love and Spirit of God. So if a person brings another doctrine that false doctrine can divide. For example Paul said for some to charge some that they teach no other doctrine. He wanted them to all speak the same thing and have the same mind.

Today there is sucvh a wrong eccumenical push to unity all believers in one body at the cost of sound doctrine, that I am alarmed. paul warned of this and said the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, I fear we are in those times. Paul also said to Timothy ( I think it was Timothy) to take heed unto thyself and unto the doctrine, continue in them, or in so doing thou shalt save both thyself and them that hear thee. So doctrinal unity is alose to be sought in Christ. How can two walk together if they are not in agreement. For example if a catholic say to me that I need to pray to Mary etc I will not agree and they will take offense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TrueWords

Nov 3, 2005
✟651.00
Faith
Christian
Count,

By the way I have met Jon Zens and Gene Edwards. And as much as i liked certain things about them, I disagreed with them to their face about their doctrines in some areas. especially Gene Edwards. I disagreed with John Zens about his view of the use of the Law, and I disagreed with Gene about his views on a few things. I could still fellowship with them, if they couyld with me, it is just that as we seek to grow in the Lord we will have to bring our teachings before the body ad seek Gods direction for truth and work it out in love and patience.

Upvote 0

Count

Apr 27, 2004
Athens
✟15,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TrueWords said:
Count,

I know where yo are comning from and I agree to a point. I have been very patient with brethren in our own gatherings who have wrong doctrine but it must eventually come to the truth. We cannot just avoid doctrines of devils and damnable doctrines for the sake of a so called unity.

Paul said that we should seek to speak the same things and have the same mind that there be no divisions among us 1 Corinthians. This is possible if the body is waiting on the Lord and under his headship.

Jesus said if we do his will we shall know of the doctrine. So when a person is not doing Gods will they do not know of the doctrine and this is where all fasle doctrine comes from. The bible teaches of damnable doctrines and doctrines of devils etc. These things can be very dangerous. While it is true that our unity is in the Spirit the Spirit gives us truth and leads us to all truth, part of our unity is in the truth and love and Spirit of God. So if a person brings another doctrine that false doctrine can divide. For example Paul said for some to charge some that they teach no other doctrine. He wanted them to all speak the same thing and have the same mind.

Today there is sucvh a wrong eccumenical push to unity all believers in one body at the cost of sound doctrine, that I am alarmed. paul warned of this and said the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, I fear we are in those times. Paul also said to Timothy ( I think it was Timothy) to take heed unto thyself and unto the doctrine, continue in them, or in so doing thou shalt save both thyself and them that hear thee. So doctrinal unity is alose to be sought in Christ. How can two walk together if they are not in agreement. For example if a catholic say to me that I need to pray to Mary etc I will not agree and they will take offense.

Dear brother, first of all I wish you Happy Birthday. I want to remind you that the day you were born is but a shadow of your real birthday, that of your spirit.

As for the subject now, you are talking about wrong doctrine. I think that this is the problem. Once we start talking about wrong doctrines, we cause division in the body of Christ.

What is wrong doctrine according to the Scriptures? Many will start listing a great number of wrong doctrines, but the problem is that what some consider wrong doctrines others consider right ones. So how do they solve the problem of fellowshipping with each other? They don't, they just create a list of "right doctrines" and accept in their own "club" only those who agree with them. That brother, is division. That brother is putting some doctrines in a higher place that the Doctrine Himself, who is Jesus Christ.

What does that mean? That means that the only condition for somebody to be part of the church is that they be brothers and sisters in Christ, that they confess Christ as their Lord. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now let me give you an example from the Scriptures:

"Now concerning things sacrificed to idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies. If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know; but if anyone loves God, he is known by him. Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one. For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and onle Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things and we exist through Him. However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat. But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol's temple, will not his concience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols? For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died. And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food causes my brother to stymble, I will never eat meat again, so that I wil not cause my brother to stumble."

Dear brother, if we were Paul and knew the truth, we wouldn't react as Paul did with this issue. We would show the church the "right doctrine", we would be patient for a while with them, but at last we would show them the way if they didn't agree with us, and we would do this under the excuse of protecting the church from wrong doctrines.

Did Paul do this? Nope! His answer really shocks us! He said that for the sake of those weak brothers, he would never eat meat.

Now brother, let me turn back to the first question. What is wrong doctrine according to the Scriptures? Is believing that women should speak and teach in the church, a wrong doctrine according to the scriptures?

Let me give another passage from the Scriptures:

"I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; which is really not another; only there are some who are distrubing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!"

This is the wrong doctrine brother according to Scriptures; the preaching of another gospel. Paul, the person with such a love, who wouldn't eat meat for the rest of his life for the sake of the brothers, who would even prefer to go to hell himself, only that his fellow Hebrews could know Christ, this beloved brother would never tolerate another gospel.

So, which is our position in the church regarding issues that are not clear in the Scriptures? Our only position in the church is that we love those brothers and sisters that have other opininon from us, and don't try to put weights over their shoulders that they cannot bear. If I believe that a sister should remain silent in the church gatherings, let me belive this, but I will never stop a sister who wants to share Christ with the rest. If I believe that women should speak in the gatherings, let me believe this, but I will never judge a sister who prefer to remanin silent in the meetings of the church, believing that doing so, she honours God.

The real broblem begins when somebody wants to put that particular doctrine above Christ, that is, "yes you are a brother in Christ, but if you want to fellowship with us, you should do this and that....."

This, brother, is division!

Upvote 0

ffinder

Burned but alive!!
Dec 7, 2003
Europe
Visit site
✟363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
TrueWords said:
Count,

.. is just that as we seek to grow in the Lord we will have to bring our teachings before the body and seek Gods direction for truth and work it out in love and patience.

To be united in doctrine i thing the key is two-fold. It is to remain:

1-Humble.
2-Teachable.

If we are all humble enough to know that we don't know everything and that others always know something more than us and if we are teachable to the point that if we are proved wrong from the Word of God (even by a brother just a few weeks saved) that we change our doctrines to get back in line with the Word then we will reach a point that we will all agree more and more with each other.
BUT
If someone is stuborn in something he believes and when proved wrong from the Word he doesn't change, unity may take place with everybody except him. Now if he happens to be a pastor then he may be used to turn his church into a cult.

FF

Upvote 0

TrueWords

Nov 3, 2005
✟651.00
Faith
Christian
Count,

In our meetings there are brothers and sisters that do have wrong teachings, by wrong teachings or wrong doctrines I mean things that are not according to Holy sciprute and are against the cgharacter of God and can lead into another gospel. For example i was in a assembly before in a home meeting where a woman believed that water baptism saves her and that everyone should be water baptised for regeneration etc. This stance caused problems there, when she would speak she acted as if all were not saved around her and not even christians for not believeing her teaching. We tried to show scriptures to her and she would listen, but would not sway from her thinking. What this wrong doctrine did , is make others there who were not baptised her particular way feel as though they were not saved. i can speak of younger children or weak in the faith particularly. these things are dangerous in a meeting.

I also reminded you of doctrines of devils that can caome into a meeting. paul would not put up with false doctrines or teachings for very long. In galatia he said (refering to the laegalistic teachers who came in) he did not put up with them for even an hour.

I also reminded you of the vrse here,

"...that thou mayest charge some that they teach no other doctrine.' (1 Timothy 1:3)

We should stick with this verse for a while. Here is another verse to consider,

"And he gave some apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelist; and some pastors and teachers...For the perfecting of the saints...Till we all come in the unity of the faith..That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about by every wind of doctrine..but speaking the truth in love." ( Ephesians 4:11,12 13, 14)

Notice that these ministries are needed to perfect the body, (and all scripture is gibven for ..perfecting the saints and for doctrine etc) and to help the body not to be so easily tossed about by false doctrine.

I have been in home meetings for some fifteen years or so and i have seen much of what happens when brethren speak false doctrine and how that false doctrine divides, not the brethren who seek to speak the truth in love they are not the ones dividing or causeing division. The devil comes in to divide and he does this with his doctrines of devils. When we see the devil come in this way we must do something about it. And as paul directed Timothy, "chrage some that they teach no other doctrine' , and we are to be sound in doctrine. Sometimes what will happen, is a person will speak a false doctrine and noone wants to make any waves so they sit still and quiet and for months this goes on and nothing is said noone even tries to correct reproove, or rebuke or instruct in righteousness the false doctrine or the brother who spoke it. then out of the blue members leave for they cannot bear it anymore.

When paul saw that they walked not uprightly he IMMEDIATELY said to peter before them all...galatians. Notice that Paul immediately dealt with error as soon as he saw it and he withstood peter to his face right away. What would some say to paul, if they understood as you do here. Would they have said that paul was causing a possible division for doing so? I don't think so, he was doing a good work by his IMMEDIATE correction of Peter and others. He did wait for almost an hour before he dealt with the legalistic croud. But he had to expose them as well. paul wanted purity in the meetings.

Now I know that if there are two or three different views on a topic, that it may take weeks or months to agree or come into unity of speaking the same things and having the same judgement that there be no divisions among them. But if thats is what it takes, lets pursue that direction in love.

The danger of not dealing with doctrineal issues, is that we can not even read most of the bible, for it deals with many doctrinal issues. if people just want to sit around with JW"S and Cathoilics and Mormons and bahi faith and act as if nothing is wrong and lets just all smile at eachother and not deal with any wrong doctrines and just pretend that w have a unity. Then they make a great error and have a false unity.

I like paul believe that we can work through ever issue, if we are patient seeking the Lords direction from a true heart, and longsuffering and if we seek to walk in the gifts God gives, here is Pauls words,

"Now I beseech you brethren in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgement" (1 Cor 1:10, then he proceeded to speak of there errors and wrong understanding)

This speaking the same things and having the same mind and judgement is possible, But we have t be committed in love to God and eachother, to work through issues. We must know that others will be troubled when they are corrected and we should be spiritual and considerate, but still we must work to have the same understanding. It may take a long time, or not, but if we are committed and in for the long haul we will develope patience through Gods love. For damnable doctrines, can do just that damn the soul.

"..who privily shall bring in damnable heresies...And many shall follow their pernicious ways...' (2 Peter 2:1,2)

We must as believers not take this lightly and act as if all is well when these things come among us.

Now we know that the devil will try to bring his damnable doctrines of devils among us and that will cause division. But we also know that the truth divides and the word is quick and powerful and sharp, dividing. jesus poke and there was great division because of his words. if some depart or are upset because of true words, then they are in error and jesus said that he came to bring a sword to divide. but if they depart because of false devil doctrines and the other brethren were to afraid to speak the whole truth of God for fear of others leaving, then this is not right. paul said he did not fear to preach the whole counsel of God. he was also not a man pleaser. We must seek to follow this example of Paul. If we see a enemy coming we must warn the others, or else their blood is on our hands.

Paul said that he ceased not to warn every man and teach every man.

Here are just a small sample of verses to consider on this matter.

""I give you good doctrine, forsake not..(Proverbs 4:2)

"And they continued steadfastly in the apostles doctrine and fellowship...9 Acts 2:42)

"Now i beseech you brethren, mark them which cause offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned and avoid them." ( Romans 16:17)

"Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. For there are many vain talkers and decievers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped.." (Titus 1:9-11) This is a very clear passage.

"Let the elders that rule well becounted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine" (1 Timothy 5:17)

"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God...If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house...' (2 John 9,10)

God bless,

Lets seek to work through all these things in love and patience.

Bye for now

Upvote 0