Not open for further replies.

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm Western. I read St. Athansius' On the Incarnation and found it to be one of the most marvelous things I've read in quite awhile.

Not to debate, but there seems to be a tendency among Eastern Orthodox to group all Catholics and Protestants together collectively and label them as 'Western'. "Western Christianity believes this..." or "Western Christianity views the world in this manner..." This is a gross over-simplification.

Roman Catholics do not believe in the total depravity of man or the forensic justification doctrine of Luther and Calvin. While it is true that Luther and Calvin started from an Augustinian philosophical approach, they went much further than Augustine ever did in what they taught.

Finally, it must be stated that the pre-eminent teacher, theologian, and philosopher of Roman Catholicism is St. Thomas Aquinas and not St. Augustine. It is true that St. Thomas borrows heavily from the works of Augustine but he largely put aside Plato for Aristotle. This means that his whole philosophical approach is quite different than Augustine's.

Traditionally, Scholasticism as opposed to Augustinianism has pride of place in Western Catholicism.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Servus Iesu said:
there seems to be a tendency among Eastern Orthodox to group all Catholics and Protestants together collectively and label them as 'Western'. "Western Christianity believes this..." or "Western Christianity views the world in this manner..." This is a gross over-simplification.

We are well aware of this... and I might say that we are only attempting to melt the iceburg a little at a time...

That was the purpose of my putting this statement in the OP
If you don't believe this don't be offended. Not every western Christains believes this way. However this is the point I wish to refute.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟121,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We definitely believe God is our Judge. Every day, we pray, "Suddenly the Judge shall come...".

I don't think the "Eastern" concept of God is in opposition to the "Western" - perhaps it is in opposition to pop Calvinism, but not immediately, the Catholic or even most Protestant conceptions, at least not on this point. Leave out any mention of the West, simply say what the East believes about God. Discuss St. Athanasius.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟121,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
True dat. I prefer to say "Orthodox" over "Eastern Orthodox" for that reason, but when talking shorthand about things dating back to the year 400, you know, in the year 400 there was an East and a West like that.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟121,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, we shouldn't say East > West then, but can talk about East and West and differences, recalling that both had great saints and we're talking about differences just as we talk about differences between 16th century Russians and Romanians...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Marjorie said:
I don't think we would want a post on OBOB explaining to us what the Eastern view of God was. It's condescending.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

As a former beliver in this specific western theology I feel comfortable explaining it and how it is different from Orthodox Theology.

I was raised on this Theology.... I know it as well as anyone... I questioned it for 30 years.

I am not attempting to be offensive.

I was asked a question on another thread and I am not going to duck my obligations to explaining based on everyones feelings.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟121,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you are going to describe what you formerly believed, you should probably attach a label less broad than Western. From what I recall about your past, Catholics and most Protestants would give the same sort of dismissal to your former views as you give here, except without the East/West rhetoric.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Marjorie said:
Would you like a former EO to explain what we believe?

In IC XC,
Marjorie

I don't understand but....

Change of title and content...

Happy now?

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The problem is just that people on CF often view us as people who think that we have a completely different view of everything because we set up strawmen arguments for the other side. To some extent this is true, but I believe that there *IS* a very, very big gap between Orthodoxy and anything else.

The issue is that we aren't able to let people see that when we categorize the Western God as Jonathan Edwards's view.

Like gzt said, it's better to talk about our view (like your edited post) then to try to explain what others believe, because then you get bogged down in "no that's NOT what I believe" instead of, "well, I pointed that out to show you that WE believe..."

Make sense?

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Marjorie said:
The problem is just that people on CF often view us as people who think that we have a completely different view of everything because we set up strawmen arguments for the other side. To some extent this is true, but I believe that there *IS* a very, very big gap between Orthodoxy and anything else.

The issue is that we aren't able to let people see that when we categorize the Western God as Jonathan Edwards's view.

Like gzt said, it's better to talk about our view (like your edited post) then to try to explain what others believe, because then you get bogged down in "no that's NOT what I believe" instead of, "well, I pointed that out to show you that WE believe..."

Make sense?

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Makes sense.. I'll buy you guys a drink later...

I'm just tired of the games.:eek: Think I'll take a break.

Upvote 0

Yiannis550

Jun 27, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
✟7,825.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys check this amazing article from Father John Romanides, one of the greatest Orthodox Theologians of our Times. He talks about the differences of East and West and about the historical facts that led to them.
http://www.oodegr.com/english/dogma/diafores1.htm

Upvote 0

Servus Iesu

Jun 15, 2005
✟20,312.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Orthodoxyusa,

Listen... I'm not offended by what you have said. In fact I wasn't specifically addressing your statements. I was just observing that it seems like often times EO group every faith and sect of the west together collectively when this cannot be done.

It isn't my intention to shut down this thread or anything. Go ahead and continue talking about the Eastern perspective. I have no problem with that and I think Eastern philosophy has many merits. All I am saying is that Catholics and Protestants shouldn't be lumped in together as 'westerns' no more than Orthodox and monophysites or nestorians can all be lumped together as 'easterns'.

Ryan

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Servus Iesu said:
Orthodoxyusa,

Listen... I'm not offended by what you have said. In fact I wasn't specifically addressing your statements. I was just observing that it seems like often times EO group every faith and sect of the west together collectively when this cannot be done.

It isn't my intention to shut down this thread or anything. Go ahead and continue talking about the Eastern perspective. I have no problem with that and I think Eastern philosophy has many merits. All I am saying is that Catholics and Protestants shouldn't be lumped in together as 'westerns' no more than Orthodox and monophysites or nestorians can all be lumped together as 'easterns'.

Ryan

Agreed, thanks for the comment.

But I'm gonna cool off first....

^_^ *I'll have a "flaming heretic"! Make it a double...*^_^

anything for you Ryan?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.