Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its always good for to be alert and clearheaded.

Was not Paul Admonishing them to be alert and clearheaded in a specific context here though? The specific Context of admonishing them to be alert and ready for Christ's Thief in the night coming, at the Day of the Lord??

Why, in your view, would they have ANY need to be alert and ready for that?

Here is the Passage:
5 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober.

What benefit would they have gotten from being alert and watching for an event the was never going to happen in their lifetimes?
Why would that, in your words, be "Always Good"?

Why would Paul admonish them SPECIFICALLY to be alert and watch for THAT EVENT while they were alive?

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Was not Paul Admonishing them to be alert and clearheaded in a specific context here though? The specific Context of admonishing them to be alert and ready for Christ's Thief in the night coming, at the Day of the Lord??

Here is the Passage:
5 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober.

What benefit would they have gotten from being alert and watching for an event the was never going to happen in their lifetimes?

Why would Paul admonish them SPECIFICALLY to be alert and watch for THAT EVENT while they were alive?

If you really don't understand why Paul was admonishing the brethren there in 1 Thess.5 to remain sober and watching, it has to be because you haven't understood what is to take place for the very end of this world, which our Lord Jesus and Apostle Paul especially, warned us about.

I'll be blunt. The coming Antichrist isn't going to be like how the majority have described him. Our Lord Jesus and Apostle Paul revealed the Antichrist is coming to literally PLAY JESUS CHRIST, i.e., GOD with us, given the supernatural power to make the whole world believe it (except Christ's elect who are sealed in prep against the deception. That is what Paul was talking about as the "strong delusion" of 2 Thess.2).

That is particularly what Jesus and Paul were warning the Church about for the end.

The "Peace and safety" and "sudden destruction" are event markers for the end when that Antichrist/false-Messiah shows up working supernatural miracles on earth (Matthew 24:23-26). Those signs were first mentioned in the OT prophet Isaiah, but Paul repeats them, as Jesus did too in His Olivet discourse, and again through Apostle John in Revelation.

Our Lord Jesus gave us the Signs to be watching leading up to His coming, which is what Paul was even repeating again to the Thessalonians in 2 Thess.2, because of deceivers that had crept in.

• Agree
Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you really don't understand why Paul was admonishing the brethren there in 1 Thess.5 to remain sober and watching, it has to be because you haven't understood what is to take place for the very end of this world, which our Lord Jesus and Apostle Paul especially, warned us about.

I'll be blunt.

I'll be blunt too.
None of what you said even comes close to addressing my question.

You say Paul warned US about it.... yet the text is clear, Paul is warning the first century THESSALONIANS about it.

So the question remains.
Why would God, via the Holy Spirit, inspire Paul to Admonish his FIRST CENTURY AUDIENCE, of Living, breathing Christians to "Watch and be Ready" for an event He knew wouldn't take place for 2000 Years?

Why would God not Inspire Paul to tell the truth to the Thessalonians about the timing? And say something truthful to them like:

"Brethren, the people who read this letter in 2000 years should remain sober and watch and be ready for the Day of the Lord that will come upon them as a thief in the night, However You Brethren today will not see this event in your lifetime, so you have no need to watch and be ready for it".

Why didn't Holy Spirit inspire Paul to be truthful with The Thessalonians about the timing, instead of purposely inspiring Paul to lead them into a false belief that it would happen in their lifetimes, by telling them they NEEDED TO "watch and be ready" for it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why didn't Holy Spirit inspire Paul to be truthful with The Thessalonians about the timing, instead of purposely inspiring Paul to lead them into a false belief that it would happen in their lifetimes, by telling them they NEEDED TO "watch and be ready" for it?
Maybe the HS did let the 1st century people of Thessalonia know Paul's prophecy wouldn't apply to them. It does seem, however; that they and all of the early Churchs, did face hard times and all were eventually virtually wiped out.

Now, it is us who face dramatic times, world changes and the testing of our faith:

Isaiah 56:9-12 All you beasts of the open country and the forest, come and eat your fill. For all of Israel’s watchmen are blind, perceiving nothing, they are all as dumb dogs that cannot bark, dreaming and sleeping. They are like greedy dogs that can never be satisfied, they are shepherds unable to understand the truth, as they go their own way. They say: Come let us fetch wine, strong drink and we will swill it down. The future will be the same as today or better still!

Isaiah 29:9-12 If you confuse yourself, you will stay confused, if you blind yourself, you will stay blinded. Be drunk, but not with wine, for the Lord has poured upon you a spirit of deep stupor. He has closed the prophetic vision and sealed the means of discerning the future to you.

Jeremiah 14:11-13 The Lord said to me: Do not pray for the wellbeing of this people. Though they fast and worship Me, [but not in spirit and in truth] I shall not listen to their cry on the Day of My punishment. But Lord – their leaders and pastors say to them: you will not face the terrible sword of judgement and they preach prosperity and escape from tribulation.

Jeremiah 14:14-16 The Lord answered me: These are lies that your leaders are misleading the people with. I have not sent them, I have not given them My commission, or spoken to them. They are giving out false teachings, useless advice and their own foolish daydreams.
Therefore, I say about those teachers and pastors who speak falsely in My Name, they will meet their end in My Day of wrath, I shall pour down upon them the disaster they deserve.

2 Timothy 4:3-4 The time will come when people will not stand sound teaching, but each will go after their own desires and will only listen to teachers who give pleasant and easy outcomes. People will refuse to listen to true scriptural teaching. They will only believe fables and fanciful notions. 1 Timothy 1:7 Ref: REB.

Beasts of the field’, foreigners, non Israelites. Those who have ‘encroached onto the holy Land’. Jeremiah 12:14

Israel’s watchmen perceive nothing’, the veil that hides the true knowledge of God’s Word is upon them and todays teachers, because of false beliefs. 2 Peter 2:1-3

If you confuse yourself, you will stay confused’, Even when the truth is presented to people who think they have it all sorted, they just cannot see it. Jeremiah 6:10

They preach prosperity, the prosperity theology that gives a sense of false security and escape from tribulation’, The very wrong and pretentious idea of a pre tribulation rapture, that lulls people into thinking they need do nothing.

‘People will refuse to listen to true scriptural teaching’, 2 Peter 2:1-3, 2 Timothy 4:3-4

My Day of wrath: The great and terrible Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath. Rev 6:12-17, Zephaniah i:14-18, 2 Peter 3:7 The next prophesied event to happen.

But for those who make the effort to overcome the false teachings, the fictional books that proliferate on the book stalls and all the rubbish on the internet, there is hope: Psalms 78:1-8, Isaiah 55:1-3, Psalms 25:8-9, Psalms 27:11-12, Psalms 32:8, 2 Peter 1:19

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe the HS did let the 1st century people of Thessalonia know Paul's prophecy wouldn't apply to them.

So the Holy Spirit inspired them NOT to Believe Paul's admonition to them that THEY should "watch and be Ready for the Day of the Lord"??

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So the Holy Spirit inspired them NOT to Believe Paul's admonition to them that THEY should "watch and be Ready for the Day of the Lord"??
Kind of pedantic ridiculousness.
You are a prime example of the blinded and confused people, in my post #84

Obviously the great and terrible Day of the Lord didn't come on the early Thess Church.
They did experience persecution though, so Pauls warnings were timely.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 11:1-2 shows the existence of another Jewish temple in Jerusalem for the end. The time periods of the last 3 trumpets from Rev.9 thru Rev.11 each have a Woe attached to them. The 1st Woe is with the 5th trumpet of Rev.9:1-12. The 2nd Woe is with the 6th trumpet of Rev.9:13 thru Rev.11:14. The 3rd final Woe is with the 7th final trumpet, which in Rev.11:14-18 is about the day of Christ's 2nd coming. Thus the temple shown in Rev.11:1-2 is just prior to Christ's 2nd coming on the 7th trumpet - 3rd Woe.

In Matthew 24:15-26, our Lord Jesus showed about an idol abomination being set in place in Jerusalem, and that linked with the coming of a pseudo-Christ that will work great and wonders that will IF it were possible, even deceive His very elect. That "abomination of desolation" event Jesus quoted from the Book of Daniel (Daniel 8, 9, 11, 12).

In Revelation 13, Apostle John was shown about a certain false one coming (the "another beast", or a 2nd beast) working great signs and wonders to deceive. He is to setup the "image of the beast" for all to worship or be killed.

In 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4, Apostle Paul also warned about this certain false one coming to do signs and lying wonders, and setup himself up as God in the temple of God at Jerusalem.

The Daniel 11:31 event requires a standing temple in Jerusalem to fulfill the prophecy. It also requires ongoing sacrifices per the old covenant. That is exactly what the orthodox Jews in today's Jerusalem plan for the near future, a rebuilt temple and old covenant worship practice again. They do not believe in the New Covenant Jesus. The devout Jews still believe they are under the old covenant.

Sorry, bizarre typo.

It was meant to say "without" a temple, not "with" one.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Obviously the great and terrible Day of the Lord didn't come on the early Thess Church.
They did experience persecution though, so Pauls warnings were timely.

The Bottom line is, you really have no answer as to why The Holy Spirit purposely inspired Paul to lead the Thessalonians into the false belief that they somehow needed to "watch and be ready" for an event that wouldn't take place for another 2000 years, do you?

It's OK to say you don't have the answer, you don't need to respond with further attacks on my personal character just because you can't answer the question directly.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Bottom line is, you really have no answer as to why The Holy Spirit purposely inspired Paul to lead the Thessalonians into the false belief that they somehow needed to "watch and be ready" for an event that wouldn't take place for another 2000 years, do you?
My answer is that all the prophets, Paul included, made prophesies that were not to happen soon, [in our concept of time] but for a time in the distant future. Ezekiel 11:27
Even Isaiah 53:1-12 about Jesus, did not happen then, but 7 centuries later.

Your preterist beliefs just leave you in the dark about what God has planned for our future.

• Agree
Reactions: DavidPT
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My answer is that all the prophets, Paul included, made prophesies that were not to happen soon, [in our concept of time] but for a time in the distant future. Ezekiel 11:27
Even Isaiah 53:1-12 about Jesus, did not happen then, but 7 centuries later.

Your preterist beliefs just leave you in the dark about what God has planned for our future.

What I would like to hear Preterists explain, how do they suppose Paul knew for a 100% fact that the day of the Lord event would come within their lifetimes? It's now 2000 years later and this same day of the Lord event in question is still yet to occur.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Its always good for to be alert and clearheaded.

Maybe the HS did let the 1st century people of Thessalonia know Paul's prophecy wouldn't apply to them. It does seem, however; that they and all of the early Churchs, did face hard times and all were eventually virtually wiped out.

So how else is a person supposed to interpret what you're suggesting Keras? Especially considering that you've also posted this:

The dead know nothing, they lie in their graves. Job 14:10, Isaiah 38:18

• Agree
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟806,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So how else is a person supposed to interpret what you're suggesting Keras? Especially considering that you've also posted this:

Welcome back and great to see you again, mkgal1.

• Friendly
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I promote what the Bible prophets said. That this seems to many people; as a 'blowing of my own trumpet', is unfortunate, but I realize that personal criticism is one way that people who refuse to believe the Prophetic Word, can ignore and reject it.

It is plain from verses like Isaiah 42:18-20, that the Lord has placed over people, a veil of inability to understand the Prophesies. Pastors are the worst affected, of the dozen or so that I have tried to discuss the prophesies with, they all not only know nothing about them, but they refuse to know anything.
I see this as part of Gods plan, He actually wants most people to be surprised and shocked when He takes action. It will be the great test of our faith. 1 Peter 4:12

And let me say, that I will be surprised and shocked as well, although at least I will know what happens, comes from the Lord.
I read the graphic descriptions of the Lords Day of fiery wrath, and try to comprehend it all. But what will happen, is so far out from anything any of us has experienced before, a full understanding is impossible for us.

As for all the dead, they are not bought back to consciousness until the end of the Millennium; Revelation 20:11-15 Only the martyrs killed during the Great Tribulation, will be resurrected, Revelation 20:4

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I would like to hear Preterists explain, how do they suppose Paul knew for a 100% fact that the day of the Lord event would come within their lifetimes? It's now 2000 years later and this same day of the Lord event in question is still yet to occur.

And what i want Futurists to explain is Why the Holy Spirit woudl Inspire Paul to Admonish the 1st century Thessalonians to "watch and be ready" for that day, if as you said, "It's now 2000 years later and this same day of the Lord event in question is still yet to occur."

Can you Explain why the Holy Spirit would Inspire Paul to lead them into the false expectation of that day occurring in their lifetimes?

I can, except It was NOT a false expectation.. it was the TRUTH.

There have been multiple “day of the lord” events recorded for us in scripture, yet AD 66-70 was the greatest Day-of-the-Lord event in Israel's history, and was, unquestionably, the one Christ's followers spoke of mere decades before it transpired. This was the same Day of the Lord concerning which the apostles stated they would remain alive unto its passing (1 Thess 5:2-4,23; Phil 1:6,10; Heb 10:25,36-39; 1 Cor 1:7-8; 1 Cor 5:5).

Those familiar with all previous "Day of the Lord" events in scripture (as Jesus and His apostles surely were) understood quite well that AD70 was a day of the Lord event, and was, unquestionably, the one that Jesus and the apostles spoke of as "soon coming, at hand, about to take place, before that generation had passed".

In all previous Day of the Lord events that were fulfilled as the Judgement of God upon Nations, using human armies as His agents, the language used is the same; Sun Darkening, Stars falling, earth splitting, mountains melting, universe collapsing, God riding a cloud, wielding His sword, etc etc....

It is only from the later generations, removed from the genre of Jewish apocalyptic literature, that we find the false, over literalization of such language that was used time and again by the Prophets of God in metaphoric ways to describe the fall of a nation.

The best way to understand apocalyptic writing is to study the many comings of God during the Old Testament times and see how that language is used in past situations. Once we see the way the prophets spoke of God's comings down during the Old Testament times, we are better equipped to think about how God comes all throughout history and even at the end of time. Study the following comings of God in history and think about the way in which the prophets use familiar doom language in each case:

God Comes in a Cloud Against Ancient Egypt - 700s BC
Behold, Yahweh rides on a swift cloud, and comes to Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall tremble at his presence; and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it. I will stir up the Egyptians against the Egyptians (Isaiah 19:1-2)

God Comes to End Saul's Kingdom - 1000 BC
Then the earth shook and quaked, the foundations of heaven were trembling and were shaken, because He was angry. Smoke went up out of His nostrils, fire from His mouth devoured; coals were kindled by it. He bowed the heavens also, and came down with thick darkness under His feet. And He rode on a cherub and flew; And He appeared on the wings of the wind. And He made darkness canopies around Him, a mass of waters, thick clouds of the sky. From the brightness before Him coals of fire were kindled. The LORD thundered from heaven, and the Most High uttered His voice. And He sent out arrows, and scattered them, Lightning, and routed them. Then the channels of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were laid bare by the rebuke of the LORD, at the blast of the breath of His nostrils. (2 Sam 22:8-16)

God Comes to Judge Nineveh - 600s BC
The LORD takes vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserves wrath for His enemies...In whirlwind and storm is His way, and clouds are the dust beneath His feet. He rebukes the sea and makes it dry; He dries up all the rivers. Bashan and Carmel wither; The blossoms of Lebanon wither. Mountains quake because of Him and the hills dissolve; Indeed the earth is upheaved by His presence, the world and all the inhabitants in it. (Nahum 1:2-5)

God Comes to Judge Egypt in the Time of Nebuchadnezzar - 600s BC
The day is near, even the day of the LORD is near; It will be a day of clouds, a time of doom for the nations. A sword will come upon Egypt, and anguish will be in Ethiopia; When the slain fall in Egypt...And they will know that I am the LORD, when I set a fire in Egypt...I will also make the hordes of Egypt cease by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. He and his people with him, the most ruthless of the nations, will be brought in to destroy the land; and they will draw their swords against Egypt and fill the land with the slain. (Ezekiel 30:3-4,8, 10-11)

God Comes to Judge Israel at the Time of the Exile - 500s BC
As I live, says the Lord Yahweh, surely with a mighty hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with wrath poured out, will I be king over you: and I will bring you out from the peoples, and will gather you out of the countries in which you are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with wrath poured out; and I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there will I enter into judgment with you face to face...Hear the word of Yahweh: Thus says the Lord Yahweh, Behold, I will kindle a fire in you, and it shall devour every green tree in you, and every dry tree: the flaming flame shall not be quenched, and all faces from the south to the north shall be burnt thereby. All flesh shall see that I, Yahweh, have kindled it...Thus says Yahweh: Behold, I am against you, and will draw forth my sword out of its sheath, and will cut off from you the righteous and the wicked. Seeing then that I will cut off from you the righteous and the wicked, therefore shall my sword go forth out of its sheath against all flesh from the south to the north: and all flesh shall know that I, Yahweh, have drawn forth my sword out of its sheath (Ez 20:33-35,47-48; 21:3-5)

God Comes To Judge Ancient Babylon Using the Medes - 500s BC
Wail, for the day of the LORD is near; it will come like destruction from the Almighty! Therefore all hands will be feeble, and every human heart will melt, and they will be dismayed. Pangs and agony will seize them; they will be in anguish like a woman in labor. They will look aghast at one another; their faces will be aflame. See, the day of the LORD comes, cruel, with wrath and fierce anger, to make the earth a desolation, and to destroy its sinners from it. For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light; the sun will be dark at its rising, and the moon will not shed its light. I will punish the world for its evil, and the wicked for their iniquity...Therefore I will make the heavens tremble, and the earth will be shaken out of its place, at the wrath of the LORD of hosts in the day of his fierce anger. Like a hunted gazelle, or like sheep with no one to gather them, all will turn to their own people, and all will flee to their own lands. Whoever is found will be thrust through, and whoever is caught will fall by the sword. Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be plundered, and their wives ravished. See, I am stirring up the Medes against them, who have no regard for silver and do not delight in gold. Their bows will slaughter the young men; they will have no mercy on the fruit of the womb; their eyes will not pity children. And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the splendor and pride of the Chaldeans, will be like Sodom and Gomorrah when God overthrew them. (Isaiah 13:6-11, 13,15-19)

God Comes During the Maccabean Period
For I have bent Judah for me, I have filled the bow with Ephraim; and I will stir up your sons, Zion, against your sons, Greece, and will make you as the sword of a mighty man. Yahweh shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning; and the Lord Yahweh will blow the trumpet, and will go with whirlwinds of the south. Yahweh of Hosts will defend them; and they shall devour, and shall tread down the sling-stones; and they shall drink, and make a noise as through wine; and they shall be filled like bowls, like the corners of the altar. Yahweh their God will save them in that day (Zechariah 9:13-16)

God Comes to Judge Jerusalem at AD 70
I saw, and behold a white cloud; and upon the cloud one sitting like to the Son of man, having on his head a crown of gold, and in his hand a sharp sickle. And another angel came out from the temple crying with a loud voice to him that sat upon the cloud: Thrust in thy sickle, and reap, because the hour is come to reap: for the harvest of the earth is ripe. And he that sat on the cloud thrust his sickle into the earth, and the earth was reaped. And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle. And another angel came out from the altar, who had power over fire; and he cried with a loud voice to him that had the sharp sickle, saying: Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vineyard of the earth; because the grapes thereof are ripe. And the angel thrust in his sharp sickle into the earth, and gathered the vineyard of the earth, and cast it into the great press of the wrath of God: And the press was trodden without the city (Revelation 14:14-20)

As we see from this brief survey of the cloud comings of God in history, they all follow a similar pattern, nature, and experience: trumpets, clouds, darkening of the constellations, shaking of earth's foundations, great tribulation and distress, God's coming down with his armies. The apocalyptic language is graphic, filled with doom, and repeated at each of God's comings.

These are just a few examples of the Father's Old-Testament comings, but there are many others: Yahweh came down and shot arrows at Saul and his armies, shaking the earth's foundations and the heavens at that time (2 Sam 22:8-16); Yahweh is depicted as having destroyed the universe when he judged Israel through Babylon (Jer 4:22-30), and did so again when he judged Egypt by Babylon's King Nebuchadnezzar (Ez 32:1-16). The Father entered into judgments with Egypt and Assyria in a spectacular coming in Isaiah 31. Habakkuk's depiction of Jehovah's coming at Mt. Sinai is nothing less than apocalyptic (Hab 3:3-16). Were any of these OT comings visual, physical/literal appearances of Yahweh as the prophets describe in metaphorical prophetic language? Of course not (Jn 1:18; 1 Jn 4:12)--the Hebrews understood that no human could ever see Yahweh and live (Exodus 33:20).

Importantly, these comings of the Father form the entire backdrop for the doctrine of the "coming" of Christ, for it was in this manner of the Father's glory that Christ said he would come (Matt 16:27-28; Lk. 9:26; Matt 24:33-34). As stated inMatthew 21:40-45, the Lord of the Vineyard came to the apostate leaders of first-century Israel and was The Stone that crushed them to powder, removing the Kingdom of God from them and giving it to a new Nation. Jesus Christ, the Lord of heaven and earth, came in the glory of the Father and did so in the lifetimes of the apostles, exactly as he promised (Matt 16:27-28; 24:33-34).

NONE OF THIS NEGATES THE FUTURE TO US COMING TESTIFIED IN THE CREEDS.

The Scriptures speak of Christ's coming in vengeance against Old Covenant Israel, which took place on time, as promised, before some of those who heard Christ utter the specific warning Had died.

The Creedal coming reflects a long held Church understanding that the 1st century Judgement coming against Israel forshadows, in some fashion, Christ's future to us Coming to consummate the cosmos, however, neither scripture nor the creed contains any specific teaching about the time, manner and nature of that future to us event. (Deuteronomy 29:29)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I promote what the Bible prophets said.

Except when the Bible Prophets say to 1st century peoples they must "watch and be ready" for an event that you say would not occur for 2 millennia... then you patently DON'T promote what they say... you apparently sweep it under the rug in hopes it goes away...

Or you say That prophet of God didn't mean what he said... or you say the 1st century people the prophet admonished to watch and be ready were inspired independently NOT to believe Him...

Your theology requires you to scramble and dance around to find Anything but the plain sense of the scripture to apply...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟305,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I would like to hear Preterists explain, how do they suppose Paul knew for a 100% fact that the day of the Lord event would come within their lifetimes?

Because Jesus said so.

Matthew 24:34 Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have happened.

Therefore Paul, 2,000 years ago, was inspired to write that they were living at the fulfillment of the ages

1 Corinthians 10:11 Now these things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come.

Paul even comments that the gospel had been preached to every creature under heaven.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Colossians 1:23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Peter, 2,000 years ago, was inspired to write that the end of all things was at hand.

1 Peter 4:7 The end of all things is at hand. Therefore be clear-minded and sober, so that you can pray

John, 2,000 years ago, was inspired to write that it was the last hour.

1 John 2:18 Children, it is the last hour; and just as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have appeared.
James, 2000 years ago, was inspired to write the coming of Jesus was at hand.

James 5:8 You too, be patient and strengthen your hearts, because the Lord’s coming is at hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟305,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I promote what the Bible prophets said. That this seems to many people; as a 'blowing of my own trumpet', is unfortunate, but I realize that personal criticism is one way that people who refuse to believe the Prophetic Word, can ignore and reject it.

You promote your own interpretation of the prophets, and since your past predictions have failed to come to pass, we know your are "blowing your own trumpet".

Deuteronomy 18:22 When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD and the message does not come to pass or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You mean personal Criticism akin to they type you employed against me here?:

Or is it Different when YOU do it?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I promote what the Bible prophets said.
Except you seem to be completely ignoring and disqualifying the relevance of who Paul was directly addressing (as Parousia70 has already pointed out). Paul was encouraging the 1st century church of Thessalonians to be clear-headed and alert for a specific reason in their lifetime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ed Parenteau

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
San Bernardino, CA
✟441,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Dave, Let me give you this from Paul. Ask yourself, how many "The time is near" end times preachers are giving this message:
1 Cor. 7 25Now concerning the betrothed, I have no command from the Lord, but I give my judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. 26I think that in view of the present distress it is good for a person to remain as he is. 27Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a betrothed woman marries, she has not sinned. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that. 29This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none, 30and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods, 31and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.