Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Unfortunately young earthers are incapable of comprehending the fact that fish existing today does not run contrary to the theory of evolution.

As someone said above, ceolacanths of the devonian are morphologically different and more derived (by evolution) than ceolacanths of the Cretaceous. And ceolacanths of the Cretaceous as well are morphologically unique and different than ceolacanths of today.

There are also starfish that are alive today that look a lot like starfish from the cretaceous. But the fact that some species of starfish still exist today, doesn't contradict the theory. Nothing in the theory suggests that all life absolutely must change in large scale ways in geologically short periods of time. In fact, rates of evolution are known to fluctuate based on environmental pressures or a lack thereof.@Justatruthseeker

If evolution mandated that all life change in large scale ways, then no fish should exist in today's time at all

As a non-scientist myself, I'm glad you (and others) are around to expound upon some of these points in layman's terms. I think science can often seem overwhelming to the uninitiated, and not just because of religious beliefs.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Using the Bible like a science book is like using Bill Gate's diary as a computer manual.

It is, however, God's history book -- written in Blood.

The Bible contains history, but it also contains allegory. As well as poetry, parables, songs, prophecy, philosophy, instruction... it is extremely multifaceted.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible contains history, but it also contains allegory.
And knowing the difference constitutes Bible maturity.

And one doesn't achieve Biblical maturity by having the Bible kicked out of school and subjected to a scientific inquisition.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And knowing the difference constitutes Bible maturity.

And one doesn't achieve Biblical maturity by having the Bible kicked out of school and subjected to a scientific inquisition.

The Bible was never 'kicked out of school'. And the only ones trying to make the Bible compliant with science or vice-versa are creationists. Those with maturity are the ones who realize that not everything in it is meant to be a literal record.

'The Bible tells us how to go to Heaven, not how the heavens go' - Caesar Baronius.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What about it - in the context of evidence - because, unfortunately while it may be the basis of our faith, we have no evidence of it.

As Christians we must be careful to distinguish between faith and evidence. Particularly when the term 'evidence' is used as an expression of verifiable data. So we can say that someones testimony is evidence. But it becomes closer to being factual where the testimony can be verified.

So when you throw around the term 'evidence' for cause and effect - many here will believe you can verify your "Easter' comment (which we all take to mean the crucifixion and subsequent ascension three days later). Unfortunately thats not verifiable - If it was there would be no debates from any religion and everyone would be christian. Clearly that's not the case.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Theres a great immaturity that pervades our religion. If as a religion we cannot be open to new knowledge; if we insist on holding onto information that can be found to be wanting, then our religion never evolves. Knowledge is exploding in our world. If Christianity cannot embrace that explosion then we simply become ignorant ostriches.

There is a tendency to see God only as it is prescribed in today's bible. I refuse to be held by such bounds. I do not accept that just because it's written makes it true. I hold to a God that's wider than the constraints that our religion often imposes - ie..listen up girl - This is what God is ..
Well nonsense - none of us knows what God is...we espouse it, we have ideals and instincts about it; but we don't know.

But back to the OP - It would do us all good to keep abreast of all forms of knowledge and understand its meanings... palaeontology included.... this will only inform the paradigm for our religious understanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a non-scientist myself, I'm glad you (and others) are around to expound upon some of these points in layman's terms. I think science can often seem overwhelming to the uninitiated, and not just because of religious beliefs.

Glad to hear that we are part of the same team.

Reactions: Dynadin
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Unfortunately thats not verifiable - If it was there would be no debates from any religion and everyone would be christian. Clearly that's not the case.

There are people who believe that the earth is flat and that drinking bleach will cure all illnesses. People will deny certain things no matter how strong the evidence is. 'If X was so obvious then everyone would agree on it' is not a very good argument.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are people who believe that the earth is flat and that drinking bleach will cure all illnesses. People will deny certain things no matter how strong the evidence is. 'If X was so obvious then everyone would agree on it' is not a very good argument.
I'm not sure what your argument is. Are you saying that the evidence of "Easter", as @AV1611VET put it, is concrete and irrefutable but people are denying it anyway? If that's your point then again, just as Ive said before, where exactly is this verifiable evidence that separates it from being simply a matter of faith.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I mean they couldn't even get things right with Coelecanth which was supposed to be extinct a mere 50,000 years. And you all think they got it right in the muti-millions?????

They find dino blood vessels and collagen, and are willing to throw out everything they thought correct about the scientifically proven life of biological matter, as long as the dates themselves are not questioned, which processes are based upon assumptions, not actual experiments as per biological matter and decay!!!!!

And you wonder why we shake our heads incredulously.....

Coelecanth isn't a species, it's a group of fish like sharks and such, and they vanished from the fossil record, just went deeper.

Yeah, I mean we find blood in bones, has to be ALL of science is wrong, not our expectations on how long such things can last.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I find it distressing. When Christians happily pick up their mobile phones, or watch TV or use a plethora of technology in their everyday life, they are using the very science they say does not exist. You use a mobile phone then your drawing on theorems that define the universe - Yes the very ones you ignorant people say that doesn't exist. You're happy to use the technology - but quickly shove your heads in the sand when the explanation comes about how it works.

I would have thought when a year or so ago we measured gravitational waves that finally the ridiculous young earth stuff would die - But NO - Einstein and his colleagues are wrong - despite all proof and despite using the theory to just get on with life. I resent that ignorance because it makes ALL Christians sound like such morons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about it - in the context of evidence - because, unfortunately while it may be the basis of our faith, we have no evidence of it.
Jesus used cause-and-effect to validate His ministry to John the Baptist, when John the Baptist was in prison.

Luke 7:22 Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

Cause and effect is also used to demonstrate the existence of gravity, which is invisible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find it distressing. When Christians happily pick up their mobile phones, or watch TV or use a plethora of technology in their everyday life, they are using the very science they say does not exist.
I'm not familiar with any Christians who say science does not exist.

And even if they did, why would that distress you?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not familiar with any Christians who say science does not exist.

And even if they did, why would that distress you?
It distresses me when Christians refute science - Big bang doesn't exist - which is like saying "Lets throw out Einstein's theory and the fact we just measured gravitational waves". Cant you see how dumb that makes us all look?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jesus used cause-and-effect to validate His ministry to John the Baptist, when John the Baptist was in prison.

Luke 7:22 Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

Cause and effect is also used to demonstrate the existence of gravity, which is invisible.
But it isn't used to measure those things that you espoused was my point - you mentioned the resurrection as an example. I was highlighting that we need to be careful what we say and articulate whats faith as opposed to verifiable fact.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It distresses me when Christians refute science - Big bang doesn't exist - which is like saying "Lets throw out Einstein's theory and the fact we just measured gravitational waves". Cant you see how dumb that makes us all look?
But it isn't used to measure those things that you espoused was my point - you mentioned the resurrection as an example. I was highlighting that we need to be careful what we say and articulate whats faith as opposed to verifiable fact.
I'm sorry, but I don't share your consternation.

Upvote 0