✟666,487.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
On religious freedom in Mexico . . .

In 1911 a fierce revolution broke out in Mexico against President Diaz, a dictator. About a million people were killed in the Revolution. The history is a bit confusing. The Revolution was actually defeated in the field but you would hardly know that from all the inscriptions in modern Mexico honoring the Revolutionaries. The reason is that a generation or so later Mexican society decided that the goals and ideals of the 1911 Revolution were the right ones.

The problem for religion was that under Diaz, Church and State were like two peas in a pod. Those sympathetic to the Revolution remembered that typically the Parish Priest was the strongest supporter of the Diaz Dictatorship. So those sympathetic to land redistribution and other ideals of the Revolution considered the Roman Catholic Church to be their political enemy.

For several years the Catholic Church in Mexico was almost completely suppressed. A priest could be sent to the firing squad just for doing things you would expect a priest to do, such as performing baptisms. The most famous man to die this way was the French born priest, Father Pro. There were others.

After the Mexican government let up on total suppression of the Catholic Church, it still imposed some surprisingly harsh restrictions. Two of the most important restrictions were
(1) a 50% tax on donations to the Catholic Church
(2) priests were not allowed to wear their religious habit on the street.

These restrictions were not only law but enshrined in the Mexican Constitution. By 1990, the rulers of Mexico had decided that these restrictions were old fashioned and the last of them were abolished.

At present, Mexico does not restrict the Roman Catholic Church or Christianity but it certainly does have an interesting history in that regard.

Upvote 0

cyberfugue

Contributor
Jul 10, 2005
Richmond, Virginia
Visit site
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aren't you the freindly one. What happened, did a Canadian girl break your heart when you were a teen? :D

This is just about what I expected from you. You lost the argument, so you resort to petty little comments such as this. Please continue though, you grow more amusing with every post you make.\

;)

Excuse me for not responding sooner. I was busy bringing my Brazilian wife and son to the US during the past couple of weeks, and have only been online sporadically. I prefer spending time with my family - if I ever have 5 kids, you can bet my post count won't be so high.

:wave:

Upvote 0

cyberfugue

Contributor
Jul 10, 2005
Richmond, Virginia
Visit site
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your lights would be out the same day. Cheers. :wave:

We'll be doing just fine with our other oil sources, as we develop our new sources of power (ethanol, geothermal, wind, nuclear (with uranium from Africa and eventually Helium 3 from the moon) as Canada returns to the economic and political backwater it was before NAFTA. It is only fairly recently that your oil sources have even made economic sense to tap on a large scale (with terribly inflated oil prices around the world). Soon, my man, it will be your lights that go out.

Cheers, "eh?"

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This is just about what I expected from you. You lost the argument, so you resort to petty little comments such as this. Please continue though, you grow more amusing with every post you make.\

;)

Excuse me for not responding sooner. I was busy bringing my Brazilian wife and son to the US during the past couple of weeks, and have only been online sporadically. I prefer spending time with my family - if I ever have 5 kids, you can bet my post count won't be so high.

That's 8 kids, not 5. No worries though, I already know your math skills are problematic.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We'll be doing just fine with our other oil sources, as we develop our new sources of power (ethanol, geothermal, wind, nuclear (with uranium from Africa and eventually Helium 3 from the moon) as Canada returns to the economic and political backwater it was before NAFTA. It is only fairly recently that your oil sources have even made economic sense to tap on a large scale (with terribly inflated oil prices around the world). Soon, my man, it will be your lights that go out.

Cheers, "eh?"

:thumbsup:
You live in a fantasy world. As long as the world needs energy, Canada will do just fine. And I fully expect that we'll be powering your nation for a long time to come. Your negative attitude toward Canada is not shared by most of your countrymen. Hating Canada is like hating toast. Who hates toast? Toast doesn't inspire strong feelings one way or the other. I'm not in the least worried about my country's future. I'd be far more concerned if I were American, as you are about to have your econmic superpower status usurped. Your decline is inevitable.

Cheers, eh!

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Its nice to know that 11 states are against this and mine is one of them.

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54613

And some people think the government isn't involved - yeah right. Since its not on the national media much - it doesn't exist - not true folks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
CCGirl--

Believing its economic only is a farce. This is how the EU started - by commerce only. History repeats itself madam.

Now, parents in germany lost their daughter because they were homeschooling her. Wow, what a big sin - to homeschool your child. The EU did nothing. Is this unreal or what! I notice it says no where in the bible that the goverment is suppose to raise your children BUT the parents are.

To believe its just commerce only is a joke. Ha, 11 states in the U.S. don't believe this and know its just a baby step start to losing freedom.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There are 14 states against this merger now - up from 11. American jobs are being lost because mexico has cheaper labor. The large corporations put the most $$ in to the politicians. In colleges students are saying don't get into computer science because they won't be able to get a job. Foreign people are being hired instead - this is what Bill Gates did. The richest man in america wants cheap labor like he needs it- yeah right. Greed has reached gigantic heights!! Truck drivers are being threatened as they want mexican ones. Mexico has lower standards concerning truck drivers so there will probably be more lawsuits then.

Its affecting blue collar and white collar jobs. This has to be stopped are the u.s. will be a third world country. Greed has glazed the eyes of the big businesses. Small businesses will be affected and there is more of them.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There are 14 states against this merger now - up from 11. American jobs are being lost because mexico has cheaper labor. The large corporations put the most $$ in to the politicians. In colleges students are saying don't get into computer science because they won't be able to get a job. Foreign people are being hired instead - this is what Bill Gates did. The richest man in america wants cheap labor like he needs it- yeah right. Greed has reached gigantic heights!! Truck drivers are being threatened as they want mexican ones. Mexico has lower standards concerning truck drivers so there will probably be more lawsuits then.

Its affecting blue collar and white collar jobs. This has to be stopped are the u.s. will be a third world country. Greed has glazed the eyes of the big businesses. Small businesses will be affected and there is more of them.
You have to realize though that Americans outnumber Mexicans more than 3:1. And you outnumber Canadians 10:1. In a North American union you will be in the driver's seat. Rather than being dragged down to Mexico's economic level its more likely they'll be raised to your economic level.

We have to realize the world now is forming into blocs. China is a bloc of its own by virtue of its enormous population and strong economic growth. The EU has become a powerful force. India is quickly becoming a world economic power. The US with less than a third the population of India or China, and half that of the EU, must grow or perish.

I'm Canadian, and proudly so. But I see reality. And the reality is that we must form at the very least a North American bloc, and preferably a bloc of all the Americas, simply to maintain our standard of living and place in the world. If we fail to come together we will fail apart.

Upvote 0