On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well general revelation is a huge deal. But it's hard for me to see how we can discern that "God sent his son Jesus to save sinners" from meditating on the beauties of creation.
I completely understand.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The most important thing in the world happens one hour per week (every week!). On Sunday morning sometime between 9am-12pm GOD SPEAKS to his creation. Through the instrumentality of sinful, frail, yet sanctified and ordained men God does this. As these feeble servants ascend the pulpit, open the word of God, read it, and explain it, Jesus Christ himself speaks to his people and to his world. He declares his gospel and his kingdom and commands all people everywhere to repent. He strengthens the weak, seeks the lost, heals the broken, humbles the proud, and gives grace to the humble. He judges between brothers and administers justice.

Woe to all who despise the words of the living God! Blessed are all who draw near to hear his voice! All who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Did you know that such a miraculous, wonderful, and heavenly event occurred on such a regular basis? Are you sufficiently thankful for this wonderful and regular gift from God?
Oh brother!

Upvote 0

Aseyesee

Apr 18, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unless of course churches meet for longer and preaching exceeds an hour.

I don't disagree. But what relevance do you think this has here?

You wait for an hour; but the well we drink of is in us ... if we are still thirsty, then it stands to reason, he hasn't given us to drink (which is not position (as someone less or more); other than how it relates to the process that is happening in us (or our soul/kingdom).

The end of preaching is God, as much as the purpose of God could have only been in himself, a purposing after himself, which in one form is a name written in a white stone ... (revealed only to the one who receives it, which a kingdom appointed, or kingdom in us (and in a dream also likened to a stone cut out without hands, that smites an image, and as the stone is beheld, becomes a great mountain and fills the whole earth (a relative truth in us) ... but it is something we behold as open face (in reference to Moses' veil).

We can commune with our father as often as we wish, and you really can hear and see his voice in a way that's very much like the depiction of it as many waters, and every bit a river you drink of, like a narrative of life.

But if you want it to be just a day, or an hour you wait for, what's that to me ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You wait for an hour; but the well we drink of is in us ... if we are still thirsty, he hasn't given us to drink, which is not position; other than how it relates to a process happening in us (or our soul).

The end of preaching is God, as much as the purpose of God could have only been in himself, a purposing after himself, which in one form is a name written in a white stone ... (revealed only to the one who receives it, which a kingdom appointed, or kingdom in us (and in a dream also likened to a stone cut out without hands, that smites an image, and as the stone is beheld, becomes a great mountain and fills the whole earth (a relative truth in us) ... but it is something we behold as open face (in reference to Moses' veil).

We can commune with our father as often as we wish, and you really can hear and see his voice in a way that's very much like the depiction of it as many waters, and every bit a river you drink of, like a narrative of life.

But if you want it to be just a day, or an hour you wait for, what's that to me ...

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Aseyesee
Upvote 0

LostChildinTheMidst

Jun 28, 2017
Christian
✟32,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The most important thing in the world happens one hour per week (every week!). On Sunday morning sometime between 9am-12pm GOD SPEAKS to his creation. Through the instrumentality of sinful, frail, yet sanctified and ordained men God does this. As these feeble servants ascend the pulpit, open the word of God, read it, and explain it, Jesus Christ himself speaks to his people and to his world. He declares his gospel and his kingdom and commands all people everywhere to repent. He strengthens the weak, seeks the lost, heals the broken, humbles the proud, and gives grace to the humble. He judges between brothers and administers justice.

Woe to all who despise the words of the living God! Blessed are all who draw near to hear his voice! All who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Did you know that such a miraculous, wonderful, and heavenly event occurred on such a regular basis? Are you sufficiently thankful for this wonderful and regular gift from God?
I don't think God wants me anymore

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

open the word of God, read it, and explain it,
It's to bad they don't open the word of God, in their spare time to, most pastors haven't spent as much time studying the word of God as the do the man made knowledge that they read to get ordainded, I've yet to meet a pastor that study's the word of God like it should be studied.
Hosea chapter 4

6 my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.

“Because you have rejected knowledge,
I also reject you as my priests;
because you have ignored the law of your God,
I also will ignore your children.

I don't know if it's because we're near the end, or if theirs never been good pastors except Christ, since the pastors of his time killed him.
Here's some verses pastors should look at and study.
Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
5 “Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
look around and consider,
search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
I will forgive this city.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. But I would counter-say that he especially speaks through the authorized preaching of his ordained ministers.

Sorry brother but I think you may be drinking the kool aide there during your ordination process a bit. Surely the Lord uses teachers to edify, rebuke, and encourage the body. But most importantly the job of a pastor is to draw the body closer to the one Shepherd who is Jesus and to learn to hear from the Lord on their own each and everyday through a lifestyle of worship, prayer, and study.

Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I once sat in on a class at a Franciscan seminary. The Greek word, kerygma (apostolic proclamation of salvation through Jesus Christ) jumped out and sticks to this day. The authority to preach the Word has been delegated through and throughout the Body of Christ, under the overseership of pastors. That is why I like your opening remarks, Tree of Life. There is something indelibly unique about sermon time, the gospel being communicated through the gift of the pastor, combined with the "where two or three are gathered in my name". Add to that Communion/The Lord's Supper, and there is no doubt that this hour--whenever it occurs, on whatever day, is a powerfully divine tool. Kerygma, the meaning still holds sway for me years later, as I attend an evangelical church.

Reactions: Tree of Life
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Preachers can make the word more understandable and shed light on things that congregation members miss in their day to day study. But I believe in due time God would reveal those things to his people via the Holy Spirit's illumination.

The Spirit of God specially gifted: Teachers. Was He wasting His time? Was He doing something that was superfluous?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sorry brother but I think you may be drinking the kool aide there during your ordination process a bit. Surely the Lord uses teachers to edify, rebuke, and encourage the body. But most importantly the job of a pastor is to draw the body closer to the one Shepherd who is Jesus and to learn to hear from the Lord on their own each and everyday through a lifestyle of worship, prayer, and study.

I agree. And the most important way that they do this is through preaching.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Pretty sure He speaks to us 24/7.
I don't deny that God is always speaking through creation and through his written word as it is expressed in many ways on a daily basis (reading, conversation, etc...). But this does not mean that the hour of preaching is not a special time.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well the Bible says that the authorized preaching of the Bible is God's primary means of God speaking to his people. Romans 10:14-15

You realize the quote in your signature is proving to be quite ironic at this point, yes?

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. And the most important way that they do this is through preaching.

And where does it say in scripture that preaching that is "important" takes place on Sunday's between 9am - 12pm? Where does it say whom this preaching comes from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And where does it say in scripture that preaching that is "important" takes place on Sunday's between 9am - 12pm?

The Scriptures are not specific on the hour of worship. They are, however, specific on the day of worship (Exodus 20:8, Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, Revelation 1:10) and what is to take place during that day (1 Timothy 4:13) and who is to administer the gospel (1 Timothy 4:14, Ephesians 4:11-12).

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Scriptures are not specific on the hour of worship. They are, however, specific on the day of worship (Exodus 20:8, Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, Revelation 1:10) and what is to take place during that day (1 Timothy 4:13) and who is to administer the gospel (1 Timothy 4:14, Ephesians 4:11-12).

None of those scriptures support "Sunday" between 9am and 12pm as you state. Further, Sunday is not the Jewish sabbath. Sabbath being another topic.

1 Corinthians 16:2 was not referring to Sunday either and it was referring to laying up things for the church at Jerusalem who was experiencing harsh oppression and famine. That chapter has nothing in context to support your sunday 9am - 12pm statement either.

Are you in a seminary becoming a pastor or you are already a pastor?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
None of those scriptures support "Sunday" between 9am and 12pm as you state. Further, Sunday is not the Jewish sabbath. Sabbath being another topic.

Correct. But the Sabbath command remains. Believers are to gather together one day per week for worship. I'm fine if this is a Saturday, Sunday, or even some other day. The once a week thing is the most important aspect.

1 Corinthians 16:2 was not referring to Sunday either and it was referring to laying up things for the church at Jerusalem who was experiencing harsh oppression and famine. That chapter has nothing in context to support your sunday 9am - 12pm statement either.

"The first day of the week" would certainly have been Sunday. When they meet together (which was the first day of the week) they should collect an offering for the Jerusalem church. Just evidence that the Corinthian church met weekly and on Sunday.

Are you in a seminary becoming a pastor or you are already a pastor?
I'm in seminary and in process of becoming ordained.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correct. But the Sabbath command remains. Believers are to gather together one day per week for worship. I'm fine if this is a Saturday, Sunday, or even some other day. The once a week thing is the most important aspect.

The sabbath is everyday for the believer, we are to live a lifestyle of worship. This whole set aside a day thing is not found in the bible. We worship everyday. This mystery is explained when Jesus was asked who the sabbath was for.

"The first day of the week" would certainly have been Sunday. When they meet together (which was the first day of the week) they should collect an offering for the Jerusalem church. Just evidence that the Corinthian church met weekly and on Sunday.

It says;

2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.

This means to set aside and be mindful once a week. This is no indication that there was a special meeting. Most likely they met several days a week at different homes and places. The context of this is not indicating that there is some special day to meet. Rather this is saying be mindful to set aside something for the Jerusalem church/body of believers that were suffering. This was not kicking up to the top either as I have heard people try and twist it.

I'm in seminary and in process of becoming ordained.

This is interesting. I want you to read what I write next and know this is not a personal attack but rather spoken in love, yet an open rebuke.

About a year ago you and I engaged in a fairly lengthy debate about tithing and the validity of being a full time paid pastor. At that time you identified yourself as a pastor. Clearly the intention was to bolster your position in the discussion. Here is the issue, integrity. I truly hope you address this issue with the Lord in all honesty prior to taking any pastoralship or completing your ordination. Also be mindful of being indoctrinated of the system of men and actually starting to believe there is something "special" about you and you are above others.

• Haha
Reactions: Tree of Life
Upvote 0