Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The most important thing in the world happens one hour per week (every week!). On Sunday morning sometime between 9am-12pm GOD SPEAKS to his creation. Through the instrumentality of sinful, frail, yet sanctified and ordained men God does this. As these feeble servants ascend the pulpit, open the word of God, read it, and explain it, Jesus Christ himself speaks to his people and to his world. He declares his gospel and his kingdom and commands all people everywhere to repent. He strengthens the weak, seeks the lost, heals the broken, humbles the proud, and gives grace to the humble. He judges between brothers and administers justice.

Woe to all who despise the words of the living God! Blessed are all who draw near to hear his voice! All who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Did you know that such a miraculous, wonderful, and heavenly event occurred on such a regular basis? Are you sufficiently thankful for this wonderful and regular gift from God?

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The most important thing in the world happens one hour per week (every week!). On Sunday morning sometime between 9am-12pm GOD SPEAKS to his creation. Through the instrumentality of sinful, frail, yet sanctified and ordained men God does this. As these feeble servants ascend the pulpit, open the word of God, read it, and explain it, Jesus Christ himself speaks to his people and to his world. He declares his gospel and his kingdom and commands all people everywhere to repent. He strengthens the weak, seeks the lost, heals the broken, humbles the proud, and gives grace to the humble. He judges between brothers and administers justice.

Woe to all who despise the words of the living God! Blessed are all who draw near to hear his voice! All who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Did you know that such a miraculous, wonderful, and heavenly event occurred on such a regular basis? Are you sufficiently thankful for this wonderful and regular gift from God?
So says Churchianity.
Do you know what God says? It isn't one hour a week. Smell the coffee...

Pss.19
[1] The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
[2] Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
[3] There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
[4] Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
[5] Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
[6] His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
[7] The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
[8] The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
[9] The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
[10] More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
[11] Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
[12] Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
[13] Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
[14] Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So says Churchianity.
Do you know what God says? It isn't one hour a week. Smell the coffee...

Pss.19
[1] The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
[2] Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
[3] There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
[4] Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
[5] Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
[6] His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
[7] The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
[8] The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
[9] The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
[10] More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
[11] Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
[12] Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
[13] Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
[14] Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Just because God speaks generally at all times through Creation does not mean that he does not speak especially and more specifically through preaching. Psalm 19 even recognizes this in Psalm 19:7-9.

• Agree
Reactions: CBBILL
Upvote 0

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

True. Although I would say that every time the Bible is open God speaks, not just on Sunday. ;)

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
True. Although I would say that every time the Bible is open God speaks, not just on Sunday. ;)

I agree. But I would counter-say that he especially speaks through the authorized preaching of his ordained ministers.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just because God speaks generally at all times through Creation does not mean that he does not speak especially and more specifically through preaching. Psalm 19 even recognizes this in Psalm 19:7-9.
I disagree first with your assertion that what he speaks is "general" and secondly that those verses recognize anything of the sort, but I will give you props for a healthy imagination - something I value highly as an artist and musician.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree. But I would counter-say that he especially speaks through the authorized preaching of his ordained ministers.
Preachers can make the word more understandable and shed light on things that congregation members miss in their day to day study. But I believe in due time God would reveal those things to his people via the Holy Spirit's illumination.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a lot we can accomplish, as individuals, in our personal times of worship and study. But the Bible assumes that we will do things corporately. Jesus taught us to say Our Father. And all those one-another teachings in the epistles.

What on Earth could be more like Heaven than our time of worship together?

Today, we (church staff) met and prayed together for Sunday and other things. We want a warm, welcoming environment for visitors. And may our minds and hearts be open to the Word preached!

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I disagree first with your assertion that what he speaks is "general" and secondly that those verses recognize anything of the sort, but I will give you props for a healthy imagination - something I value highly as an artist and musician.

We call it "general revelation" because creation certainly communicates things about God (his glory, his eternality, his existence, his wisdom, etc...). But it does not communicate specific things about God (his name, his plan for creation, his means of salvation, how he ought to be worshipped). These latter things are communicated through his written word (what Psalm 19 refers to as "the Law"). So Psalm 19 juxtaposes general revelation with special revelation. And special revelation is what's going on when God's word is preached.

• Agree
Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Preachers can make the word more understandable and shed light on things that congregation members miss in their day to day study. But I believe in due time God would reveal those things to his people via the Holy Spirit's illumination.

So preachers are ultimately unnecessary?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You think that John is saying that preachers and teachers are unnecessary? I wonder why he is writing them his letter if he means this. :scratch:
Clarification of the truth.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok. But after John published this letter we no longer need clarification from human preachers and teachers?
No, what I mean is that preachers speak from a human perspective. They are not infallible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, what I mean is that preachers speak from a human perspective. They are not infallible.

I don't believe that preachers are infallible. Still, they are God's primary chosen means of speaking to his people.

• Agree
Reactions: CBBILL
Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe that preachers are infallible. Still, they are God's primary chosen means of speaking to his people.
I believe the Bible is the primary means of God speaking to his people.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well the Bible says that the authorized preaching of the Bible is God's primary means of God speaking to his people. Romans 10:14-15
I believe that verse interpreted in context is talking about evangelistic preaching.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I believe that verse interpreted in context is talking about evangelistic preaching.

"Evangelistic preaching" is a redundant phrase. All preaching is evangelistic.

Upvote 0