Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No. Nor is any crime worthy of it. But of course, the entire concept of justice is utterly incoherent in Christian moral philosophy.

An AIDS-infested child raping serial killer can have a deathbed conversion and go on to eternal reward. Meanwhile, I could spend my entire life in selfless service to humanity and end up in a state of eternal torment for my disbelief.

This is to say nothing of Calvinistic interpretations of salvation and damnation, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is to say nothing of Calvinistic interpretations of salvation and damnation, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

My wife turned to Calvnistic interpretations after she knew me for a year. She had a hard time with thinking I would not go to heaven even though I am such a good person.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Is lacking a belief in God a crime worthy of eternal torment in hell?
No, and it depresses me that there are people who think it's not only worthy, but that not believing in God is so detestable that killing them is the Christian thing to do.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well many Christians would say that being atheist isn't the crime, things like lying and swearing are the crimes.

But no, eternal punishment would be unjust and evil, even for a genocidal rapist torturer. Eternal punishment is never just for finite crimes.

The response will be that God is infinite (which is nonsense), and sins are crimes against an infinite God. But the crime isn't directed at God... God would only be affected in the sense that he is offended by an action. Being offended isn't that bad, and is really more of a personal issue. ie: being offended, by something not aimed at you, is primarily based on your vision, not their action. So suck it up. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

I was brought up in the tradition, "What goes around, comes around."

I have never had a problem with it,

For me it explains a great deal, for me, will say.

Maybe the question should be;

What happens to the wicked?

Never mind so much what people claim,

Upvote 0

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist

But the orthodoxy of the Chrisian faith is that because Jesus is the path to salvation, not believing in him can cast you to hell for all eternity. I don't think the pithy saying of 'what goes around, comes around' covers that.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

So to you, simply not believing makes people wicked? A Christian murderer is somehow less wicked than an atheist with near saint like behavior?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wrong.

Where did I say that?

You said what goes around comes around and you are ok with people getting eternal punishment for not believing, and even if you do feel that belief doesn't save the bad people, why condemn decent people for reasons of belief? Or have I misunderstood and you don't feel that belief makes a difference at all?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
But the orthodoxy of the Chrisian faith is that because Jesus is the path to salvation, not believing in him can cast you to hell for all eternity. I don't think the pithy saying of 'what goes around, comes around' covers that.

Then you had better get your Christian Icon in place.

If that,s the way you see it,

You never know when you draw your last breath.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
You said what goes around comes around and you are ok with people getting eternal punishment for not believing, and even if you do feel that belief doesn't save the bad people, why condemn decent people for reasons of belief? Or have I misunderstood and you don't feel that belief makes a difference at all?

The first half of your post could not be further from my thoughts.

The OP asked, "Does a lack of belief in God........."

My first thought was, no, not again, standard phrases.

I wondered why so seldom people wonder over who are the wicked, who are the righteous.

If you would like to continue, I,m okay with that,

but only up to a certain point,

I don,t want to get a warning for promoting something which is not allowed
in Christianity.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The first half of your post could not be further from my thoughts.

The OP asked, "Does a lack of belief in God........."

My first thought was, no, not again, standard phrases.

I wondered why so seldom people wonder over who are the wicked, who are the righteous.

If you would like to continue, I,m okay with that,

but only up to a certain point,

I don,t want to get a warning for promoting something which is not allowed
in Christianity.

I am good with continuing, my mistake on your position, sorry,

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I am good with continuing, my mistake on your position, sorry,

Well, maybe I can start by saying that, before coming on this forum, CF,

I did not believe there was such a thing as atheisim, I maybe had heard it mentioned, but I did really know what people meant when they said they were atheist, I really did not.

I have never made any difference between people before, other than by their actions.

It has never impressed me in any way when people say, "I believe in God"

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, maybe I can start by saying that, before coming on this forum, CF,

I did not believe there was such a thing as atheisim, I maybe had heard it mentioned, but I did really know what people meant when they said they were atheist, I really did not.

I have never made any difference between people before, other than by their actions.

It has never impressed me in any way when people say, "I believe in God"

Fair enough philosophy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Please excuse me for not reading your poem before,

It is quite fitting.

Sadly, it is unfinished. It is supposed to have all 7 sins, but so far only the last one, Pride, has been finished to my satisfaction. I am considering calling it The Sins of the Saved.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

When the New Testament says 'to believe' it's teaching is that one must get their spirit/soul decontaminated. One's spirit becomes contaminated due to following the influence of the negative supernatural being Satan. Satan's stain upon our soul MUST be washed away in order for us to enter God's presence. When we are washed clean, it is very evident to us and to everyone else because we just are not the same person that we were before. Everyone is given many chances in life to come to belief. Everyone who repeatedly refuses to break away from Satan's grip throughout their life, indeed does deserve to receive punishment in the afterlife. Deep down, everyone knows this and we would not respect God if He didn't punish us.....even though we know that He rewards and punishes eternally.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
When the New Testament says 'to believe' it's teaching is that one must get their spirit/soul decontaminated. One's spirit becomes contaminated due to following the influence of the negative supernatural being Satan. Satan's stain upon our soul MUST be washed away in order for us to enter God's presence. When we are washed clean, it is very evident to us and to everyone else because we just are not the same person that we were before. Everyone is given many chances in life to come to belief. Everyone who repeatedly refuses to break away from Satan's grip throughout their life, indeed does deserve to receive punishment in the afterlife. Deep down, everyone knows this and we would not respect God if He didn't punish us.....even though we know that He rewards and punishes eternally.

Wrong, I would respect a deity that could get beyond the need for punishment more than one that uses force.

Upvote 0

madaz

dyslexic agnostic insomniac
Mar 14, 2012
Gold Coast Australia
✟9,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Why?

Christians insist that anyone (including the wicked) who convert before death can have eternal reward.

Yet someone of good moral standing who isnt convinced of Gods existence will be eternally tormented and punished for the crime.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.