New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that morals are fixed and objective.

My own guess is that morals are fixed and objective but difficult to discern, and that different cultures/religions/philosophies make different guesses at the fixed-objective morality, with varying degrees of accuracy.

Possibly, though, things appropriately vary by culture. What's best for nomads might be different from what's best for city-dwellers.

On the morality-conspiracy-theory idea, I do have one thought:

The only thing that seems unclear to me is why personal immorality is favorable to the governing/ruling class.
And if over time they can dull the human conscience, then persons feel better about their immorality.

I think there's something to this. If we think about one of the important clusters of moral questions in our present culture -- racism, sexism, and the exploitation of underpaid workers -- those in power personally benefit from having an unpaid or underpaid class of people to do the jobs they don't want to do. So this would be an example of personal (and collective) immorality being favorable to the governing/ruling class.

If the level of comfort is high enough, that in itself can dull the conscience; if I'm comfortable, I may not want to notice that my comfort is coming at the cost of other people's well-being. And if I don't notice other people's pain, then -- as you say -- that can help me feel better about my immorality.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ok. So please show them to us. Thats what objective means, right?.....something apparent enough to all that personal opinion has no place.
Objective means that a thing or property exists independent of my ability to perceive it.

Something can be objectively true and still difficult to perceive. Objectively, the Sombrero Galaxy M104 does, or does not, contain a planet with liquid water, but it is difficult for astronomers to answer the question because of the distances involved.

Moral goodness could be an objective property of human actions and still be difficult to perceive correctly.

• Useful
Reactions: stevenfrancis
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You'd think a moral god would have made morality obvious.
He did, really, He gave us--or so it is said--a list of general principles and left us to apply them in particular situations. Other civilizations have had similar lists and some also claimed divine inspiration of them, but in general there is little disagreement about them. But I don't think we are talking about moral principles of that kind. It more often seems to me that we are talking about moral edicts deduced from sacred texts rather than explicitly stated in them.

• Agree
Reactions: stevenfrancis
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
He did, really, He gave us--or so it is said--a list of general principles and left us to apply them in particular situations. Other civilizations have had similar lists and some also claimed divine inspiration of them, but in general there is little disagreement about them. But I don't think we are talking about moral principles of that kind. It more often seems to me that we are talking about moral edicts deduced from sacred texts rather than explicitly stated in them.
Well, my interlocutor was just saying that it's difficult to discern.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well, my interlocutor was just saying that it's difficult to discern.
What I meant is that even if I acknowledged divine authority for the "big ten" it would difficult for me to take claims of divine authority for deduced precepts as a given. And since the deduced axioms play such a big part in the "moral wars" I am not inclined to take a religious defense of them seriously.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
What I meant is that even if I acknowledged divine authority for the "big ten" it would difficult for me to take claims of divine authority for deduced precepts as a given. And since the deduced axioms play such a big part in the "moral wars" I am not inclined to take a religious defense of them seriously.
Fair enough.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Objective means that a thing or property exists independent of my ability to perceive it.

Something can be objectively true and still difficult to perceive. Objectively, the Sombrero Galaxy M104 does, or does not, contain a planet with liquid water, but it is difficult for astronomers to answer the question because of the distances involved.

Moral goodness could be an objective property of human actions and still be difficult to perceive correctly.
Thats such a weird comparison because phrasing a claim about objective morality in those terms would go something like this: "objectively, the universe (including the divine realm if you want) does or does not contain rules for human behavior", which is such a vague commitment that I would be forced to agree.

Also, obviously we have rules for human behavior. You can point to them in effect in our own society. And I would agree, those rules are in effect regardless of my opinion on the matter. So there we have it: objective morality. But I think you mean something.....more?

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thats such a weird comparison because phrasing a claim about objective morality in those terms would go something like this: "objectively, the universe (including the divine realm if you want) does or does not contain rules for human behavior", which is such a vague commitment that I would be forced to agree.

Also, obviously we have rules for human behavior. You can point to them in effect in our own society. And I would agree, those rules are in effect regardless of my opinion on the matter. So there we have it: objective morality. But I think you mean something.....more?

I think the question should be: Are those moral rules objectively true in themselves. Not simply whether they objectively exist. We could all agree on any particular moral position but that doesn't make it objectively true.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think the question should be: Are those moral rules objectively true in themselves. Not simply whether they objectively exist. We could all agree on any particular moral position but that doesn't make it objectively true.
We could certainly argue whether a moral position is objectively effective, detrimental, or neutral in furthering values that are natural to humans.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

What I mean is that human actions can have an ethical component that is independent of what I think of the action, and independent even of what society thinks of the action. If I say that "It was wrong that Alice killed Bob", I mean something more than just "I'm unhappy that Alice killed Bob" or "Society will frown on Alice for killing Bob". I mean that the action had an objective ethical component.

For some actions, most humans agree on their ethical rightness or wrongness. For other actions, it's much harder to figure out whether they're right or wrong or a murky combination of the two. But I see that latter situation as a difficulty of perception, not an absence of objective morality.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What I mean is that human actions can have an ethical component that is independent of what I think of the action, and independent even of what society thinks of the action. If I say that "It was wrong that Alice killed Bob", I mean something more than just "I'm unhappy that Alice killed Bob" or "Society will frown on Alice for killing Bob". I mean that the action had an objective ethical component.

For some actions, most humans agree on their ethical rightness or wrongness. For other actions, it's much harder to figure out whether they're right or wrong or a murky combination of the two. But I see that latter situation as a difficulty of perception, not an absence of objective morality.
I agree that our actions have an objective ethical component. Our actions can advance or hinder the natural values of other people in an objectively apparent way. Is that what you mean?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We could certainly argue whether a moral position is objectively effective, detrimental, or neutral in furthering values that are natural to humans.

I think we could agree on a position being effective or not. The problem would be agreeing as to who's values are being best represented by that moral position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

All moral positions are relative to the circumstances. So it might be morally good for Alice to kill Bob. But wrong for Ted to kill Carol (points awarded for the references).

The killing itself may be entirely legal and justified. But if it's murder then it's not. And some people class murder as an example of an objective morality. But murder already defines the circumstances. It's killing relative to those circumstances.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
All moral positions are relative to the circumstances. So it might be morally good for Alice to kill Bob. But wrong for Ted to kill Carol (points awarded for the references).

The killing itself may be entirely legal and justified. But if it's murder then it's not. And some people class murder as an example of an objective morality. But murder already defines the circumstances. It's killing relative to those circumstances.

Bob & Carol, Ted & Alice. American comedy movie 1969. I had just turned 21.

It was a very good year.;)

OB

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Mmm. Natal
Bob & Carol, Ted & Alice. American comedy movie 1969. I had just turned 21.

It was a very good year.;)

OB

I was a 16 year old hopelessly in love with Natalie Wood...

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Back in January I started a thread on the subject of murder based on the 'Thou shalt not murder' commandment.

My point was; while murder was proscribed, the commandment did not define what constitutes murder. As a result the commandment is morally vacuous: that is ; it fails to define what killing is morally wrong. Since rules about who 'Thou shalt not kill' have varied across time, culture and circumstance, the rule lacks any moral meaning.

Thou Shalt Not Murder

OB

Upvote 0