Nov 30, 2011
✟743.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Years ago, I worked as Program Manager for a sub-contractor on the V-22 OSPREY program. I have to say, I never liked the idea of that plane, I thought it was all wrong for the mission. The program - far, far over projected costs - has been nearly cancelled several times, it was atrouble prone and vulnerable plane. It still is trouble prone and vulnerable.

Controversial Marine Tiltrotor Fights Its First Gun Battle | Danger Room | Wired.com

RoadWarrior

Seeking the middle path.....
Mar 25, 2012
Texas
✟8,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
As a former CH-46 pilot from the 1980s, I've been looking forward to seeing the V-22 fly for a few decades and am happy it finally arrived. Yes, I expect the new tech will have problems. So did the AV-8. The Marine Corps has a reputation of pushing forward with new tech in order to maintain a military edge. I support that endeavor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigbadwilf

Drinking from the glass half-empty
Dec 22, 2008
Oxford, UK
✟8,706.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The AV8A wasn't that bad in development terms, USMC took the GR1 and adapted it for their requirements (minor things like using the same upgraded engine that went into the GR3, fitting compatible IFF systems and switching out all of the magnesium components (they aren't good around salt water, there were horror stories about the Harriers coming back from the Falklands in 1982 having undercarriage collapses when they got back to the UK)).

Upvote 0

bigbadwilf

Drinking from the glass half-empty
Dec 22, 2008
Oxford, UK
✟8,706.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think my "favourite" near-disaster is a bit more recent than the AV8A, the first time the F-22 was deployed overseas a flight of four of them had issues with the international date line.
They were flying from Hawaii to Okinawa when, as they crossed the dateline, their onboard computers threw a wobbler. All four of them lost navigation, communications and fuel monitoring. Fortunately the weather was good and they were flying with a tanker that wasn't affected and were able to signal their distress and divert back to Hawaii, also fortunately the glitch didn't take out the flight controls.

I'd imagine that there were four very relieved pilots when they got them down on the ground.

Upvote 0

RoadWarrior

Mar 25, 2012
Texas
✟8,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yo roadwarrior- why were you looking forward to the V22? It sounds like a pretty unreliable (if awesome looking) machine from what I've read, so I wouldn't mind hearing another perspective. :]

The CH-46 was short-legged, only about 90 minutes of gas plus a little reserve and, at the time, we were limited to 145KTS (now it's even slower due to metal fatigue). We were big fat slow ducks. The V-22 was projected to be almost twice that speed and over 3 hours of flight time with reserve.

Performance is a life enhancer in combat.

Upvote 0

RoadWarrior

Mar 25, 2012
Texas
✟8,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
MV-22B_combat_radius_in_Iraq_compared_with_CH-46E_combat_radius.svg

Upvote 0
The CH-46 was short-legged, only about 90 minutes of gas plus a little reserve and, at the time, we were limited to 145KTS (now it's even slower due to metal fatigue). We were big fat slow ducks. The V-22 was projected to be almost twice that speed and over 3 hours of flight time with reserve.

Performance is a life enhancer in combat.

Thanks for the info! How does it compare to the UH-60 (or am I comparing two totally different aircraft here)?

Upvote 0

RoadWarrior

Mar 25, 2012
Texas
✟8,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Blackhawk is a more modern design. It can't carry as many troops as the CH-46, so has limited use for the Marines aboard ship due to the ratio of it's "footprint" (size) and the number of Marines it can carry. It's a very good helicopter (which had early development problems too) and the Navy uses it for anti-submarine warfare.

My brother is Army and he flies them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Partiasn

Apr 29, 2012
✟205.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
is a financial black hole! They should have cut this program long long ago

Have to agree.

If you want to design Aircraft It is probably best to stick with the laws of Physics.
LOL!

But the US Armed Forces does love to waste money. Even more so than the Commies did in Afghanistan.

Upvote 0