Futurist Only the life of a saint during the great tribulation?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Gabriel stops at 69 weeks, period:

"Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off."

Not so - Gabriel tells us up front that it is 70 weeks and that the Messiah shows up AFTER the 69th week. He not stop AT 69 weeks.

Dan 9:
"Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision previously, came to me in my extreme weariness about the time of the evening offering. 22 And he instructed me and talked with me and said, “Daniel, I have come now to give you insight with understanding. 23 At the beginning of your pleas the command was issued, and I have come to tell you, because you are highly esteemed; so pay attention to the message and gain understanding of the vision. (A reference to the Dan 8 vision that Daniel was complaining about needing more info about at the end of Dan 8)

Seventy Weeks and the Messiah

24 “Seventy weeks have been decreed (not merely 69 weeks) for your people and your holy city, to finish the wrongdoing, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for guilt, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the Most Holy Place. 25 So you are to know and understand that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild (457 B.C.) Jerusalem, until Messiah the Prince, there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks;(69 weeks = 483 years so 27 A.D.) it will be built again, with streets and moat, even in times of distress. 26 Then after the sixty-two weeks, (after 27 A.D. so that is after 69 weeks) the Messiah will be cut off (Christ crucified) and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come (Roman army) will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined. 27 And he (Christ) will confirm a covenant with the many for one week (That 70th week that ends in 34 A.D.) , but in the middle of the week (31 A.D.) he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering;NASB (Christ Crucified).

27 And he hath strengthened a covenant with many -- one week, and [in] the midst of the week he causeth sacrifice and present to cease (YLT)

27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;
But in the middle of the week
He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. NKJV

Christ confirms the covenant - as noted in
1 Cor 11:
23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night when He was betrayed, took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same way He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

Stops sacrifice and offerings at the cross.
Heb 10:4-14
4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says,
“You have not desired sacrifice and offering,
But You have prepared a body for Me;
6 You have not taken pleasure in whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come
(It is written of Me in the scroll of the book)
To do Your will, O God.’”
8 After saying above, “Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin You have not desired, nor have You taken pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the Law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second.

Dan 9:27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;

================= Bible Basics
1. All timelines are contiguous by definition. so knowing the start date and length - you know the end point - as we see in Dan 9:1-4 with Jeremiah's 70 year timeline.

2. All apocalyptic timelines use day-for-year when speaking of days, weeks, months, and times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
All timelines are contiguous by definition. so knowing the start date and length - you know the end point - as we see in Dan 9:1-4 with Jeremiah's 70 year timeline.
Not so. You say yourself that the 70th 'week' starts after Jesu is Crucified.
There is no definitive point of seven years after then.
Also Revelation tells us about what is yet to happen during the second half that 7 year period.
All apocalyptic timelines use day-for-year when speaking of days, weeks, months, and times.
Wrong.
You would make the Prophetic Word into a hopeless mixup, with that idea.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟125,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not so - Gabriel tells us up front that it is 70 weeks and that the Messiah shows up AFTER the 69th week. He not stop AT 69 weeks.

Dan 9:
"Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision previously, came to me in my extreme weariness about the time of the evening offering. 22 And he instructed me and talked with me and said, “Daniel, I have come now to give you insight with understanding. 23 At the beginning of your pleas the command was issued, and I have come to tell you, because you are highly esteemed; so pay attention to the message and gain understanding of the vision. (A reference to the Dan 8 vision that Daniel was complaining about needing more info about at the end of Dan 8)

Seventy Weeks and the Messiah

24 “Seventy weeks have been decreed (not merely 69 weeks) for your people and your holy city, to finish the wrongdoing, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for guilt, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the Most Holy Place. 25 So you are to know and understand that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild (457 B.C.) Jerusalem, until Messiah the Prince, there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks;(69 weeks = 483 years so 27 A.D.) it will be built again, with streets and moat, even in times of distress. 26 Then after the sixty-two weeks, (after 27 A.D. so that is after 69 weeks) the Messiah will be cut off (Christ crucified) and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come (Roman army) will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined. 27 And he (Christ) will confirm a covenant with the many for one week (That 70th week that ends in 34 A.D.) , but in the middle of the week (31 A.D.) he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering;NASB (Christ Crucified).

27 And he hath strengthened a covenant with many -- one week, and [in] the midst of the week he causeth sacrifice and present to cease (YLT)

27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;

Christ confirms the covenant - as noted in
1 Cor 11:
23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night when He was betrayed, took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same way He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

Stops sacrifice and offerings at the cross.
Heb 10:4-14
4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says,
“You have not desired sacrifice and offering,
But You have prepared a body for Me;
6 You have not taken pleasure in whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come
(It is written of Me in the scroll of the book)
To do Your will, O God.’”
8 After saying above, “Sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and offerings for sin You have not desired, nor have You taken pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the Law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will.” He takes away the first in order to establish the second.

Dan 9:27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;

================= Bible Basics
1. All timelines are contiguous by definition. so knowing the start date and length - you know the end point - as we see in Dan 9:1-4 with Jeremiah's 70 year timeline.

2. All apocalyptic timelines use day-for-year when speaking of days, weeks, months, and times.
They got Jesus the Messiah the Prince whether they wanted to or not. JESUS is the 70th week.

Upvote 0