Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Lagacy of Islamic Antisemitism:
From Sacred Texts to Solemn History

Edited by Andrew Bostom

Islamic Antisemitism is as old as Islam itself and is not not the mere borrowing of non-Muslim sources as some have sought to profess. The Legacy of Islamic Antisemitism provides comprehensive documented evidence that a readily discernable Islamic Antisemitism - specific Muslim hatred of Jews - has been expressed continuously since the advent of Islam.

S.D. Goitein, the scholar of Muslim-Jewish relations who documented the Cairo Geniza record of the High Middle Ages (950-1250 CE), employed the term antisemitism. "in order to differentiate animosity against Jews from the discrimination practiced by Islam against non-Muslims in general. The Legacy of Islamic Antisemitism debunks the conventional wisdom that says Muslim Jew hatred is a 20th Century phenomenon which arose only after the advent of the Zionist movement and the protracted Arab-Jewish Conflict over all the lands comprising the original 1922 mandate for historical Palestine. Anyone interested in the Arab-Israel Conflict will find this collection an invaluable resource for understanding the phenomenon of Muslim antisemitism, past and present! The book is 766 pages long with a large number of annotations and an extensive bibliography.

This book explodes all the myths about any "golden age" for Jews under Islam and exposes the truth about Islam.

Muslims believe it is their divine destiny to destroy the Jewish people.
Muslim Hadith says:
" Judgement Day will not come before the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Jews will hide behind the rocks and the trees, but the rocks and the trees will say: Oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him - except for the gharqad tree, which is one of the trees of the Jews."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mindlight

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The Jews suffered more attacks from the Christian world than the Islamic world historically.

This book, by a Jewish author, shows the extent:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GIOEYVI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
Thanks for the book, will have to check it out.

But yes while admittingly not knowing a whole lot about Jews and Christians relationship throughout time, I'd still likely agree.

Unfortunate how people through time have committed great evil under the name of Christ (and still do today). People who will say Lord, Lord, while Christ will say "I never knew you.".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,604.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Lagacy of Islamic Antisemitism:
From Sacred Texts to Solemn History

Edited by Andrew Bostom

Islamic Antisemitism is as old as Islam itself and is not not the mere borrowing of non-Muslim sources as some have sought to profess. The Legacy of Islamic Antisemitism provides comprehensive documented evidence that a readily discernable Islamic Antisemitism - specific Muslim hatred of Jews - has been expressed continuously since the advent of Islam.

S.D. Goitein, the scholar of Muslim-Jewish relations who documented the Cairo Geniza record of the High Middle Ages (950-1250 CE), employed the term antisemitism. "in order to differentiate animosity against Jews from the discrimination practiced by Islam against non-Muslims in general. The Legacy of Islamic Antisemitism debunks the conventional wisdom that says Muslim Jew hatred is a 20th Century phenomenon which arose only after the advent of the Zionist movement and the protracted Arab-Jewish Conflict over all the lands comprising the original 1922 mandate for historical Palestine. Anyone interested in the Arab-Israel Conflict will find this collection an invaluable resource for understanding the phenomenon of Muslim antisemitism, past and present! The book is 766 pages long with a large number of annotations and an extensive bibliography.

This book explodes all the myths about any "golden age" for Jews under Islam and exposes the truth about Islam.

Muslims believe it is their divine destiny to destroy the Jewish people.
Muslim Hadith says:
" Judgement Day will not come before the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Jews will hide behind the rocks and the trees, but the rocks and the trees will say: Oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him - except for the gharqad tree, which is one of the trees of the Jews."

Mohammed had a Jewish wife. When others made fun of her Jewish heritage he told her to say

Aaron is my father, Moses my uncle, and Muhammad my husband

Safiyya bint Huyayy - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Let me posit a completely obvious theory, yet completely missed:

Maybe Muslims being anti-Jewish originates from Jewish authors, such as this one, writing books, such as this one, trying to "educate" the world about Islam, in an attempt to rally public opinion against them.

Far-fetched, I know.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Quran blames the Jews who were disobediant to Allah (as Bible does) and are mean to Muslims. Its not a general derrogation. Historically Muslims helped Jews several times when they were persecuted by Christians. The author lies.
The Bible was written and is mainly centered on the Jewish people, the Bible blames those among Israel who were disobedient, it doesn’t brand all of Israel and Jews as being naturally hateful to the truth and forerunners to the Antichrist. Muslims didn’t help Jews, like Christians and Zoroastrians they were subjects of the Islamic Empire who payed the Jizyah tax at humiliating costs essentially becoming second or third class citizens or slaves if you will.

Upvote 0

anatolian

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2006
Turkey
✟22,421.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
The Bible was written and is mainly centered on the Jewish people, the Bible blames those among Israel who were disobedient, it doesn’t brand all of Israel and Jews as being naturally hateful to the truth and forerunners to the Antichrist. Muslims didn’t help Jews, like Christians and Zoroastrians they were subjects of the Islamic Empire who payed the Jizyah tax at humiliating costs essentially becoming second or third class citizens or slaves if you will.
You repeat the same anti-Islamist rhetoric. Quran does not describe all Jews as evil too. Quran describes all kinds of disbelievers and commands us how to act regarding them. There can be good Jews too who are obedient to Allah according to Quran.

You should study the history of Islam. We helped them in some occasions where they were suffering in Christian lands. Umayyads protected Jews of Spain for hundreds of years. Ayyubids did the same in Palestine when the Crusaders were killing them alike. Specifically the Ottoman empire was a safe place for Jews when they were suffering from the inquisitions..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You repeat the same anti-Islamist rethoric. Quran does not describe all Jews as evil too. Quran describes all kinds of disbelievers and commands us how to act regarding them. There can be good Jews too who are obedient to Allah according to Quran.

You should study the history of Islam. We helped them in some occasions where they were suffering in Christian lands. Umayyads protected Jews of Spain for hundreds of years. Ayyubids did the same in Palestine when the Crusaders were killing them alike. Specifically the Ottoman empire was a safe place for Jews when they were suffering from the inquisitions..
And yet, despite all of that history, Islamic countries today embrace pan-Arabism and pan-Islam and are persecuting the numerous religious minorities in the region--Jews, Christians, Yazidis, Druze, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You repeat the same anti-Islamist rhetoric. Quran does not describe all Jews as evil too. Quran describes all kinds of disbelievers and commands us how to act regarding them. There can be good Jews too who are obedient to Allah according to Quran.

And you keep repeating the same Islamic apologetic rhetoric. The Quran requires that non-Muslims from among the people of the book convert to Islam, submit to Islamic rule, or die. And for those non-Muslims who happen to be pagans and not be Jews, Christians, Zoroastrians, or Sabians then according to traditional Islamic ruling they are to convert to Islam or be killed at sword point. Theres no such thing as a good non-Muslim thats obedient to Allah unless he converts to Islam. As the Quran says no religion is accepted of you except Islam. I already gave sources, the Quran brands Jews as Polytheists who worship Ezra as God's son, says they are mischief makers, corrupted the scripture, have earned God's wrath, and will help the Anti Christ when he comes and serve in his army. The Inquisition wasn't aimed at Jews or Muslims they were aimed at those who claimed conversion to Christianity from Muslim or Jewish background. Jews suffered a lot of persecution in Muslim ruled Spain swell ever heard of the Granada massacre. The Ayyubid dynasty required that Jews become Dhimmis who were severely restricted in both normal life and religious life, thats hardly what I'd call protection.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's important to note the vast difference in origin of Christian anti-semitism and Islamic anti-semitism. It's not that one is 'better' or more tolerable than the other (hating Jews is hating Jews, and it's wrong), but they are distinctly different.

In medieval Christian Europe, anyway (earlier in North Africa/Middle East it tended to be different, as the different religions vied for favor with the Emperor in ways that didn't necessarily happen in Europe), Jew-hatred was generally connected to weird superstitions among uneducated peasants with a bit of actual Christian theology or scripture thrown in to justify said superstitions and the resulting treatment. It's like the famous Soviet bard Vladimir Vysotsky puts it in his "Ballad of the anti-Semite" (Vysotsky himself was of Jewish origins, so the song is meant to be a satirical jab at people who think like this and how foolish they are):

A rather free translation by Boris Gendelev puts it like this (emphasis mine):

Just being a hoodlum appears so trite
I ought to convert to an anti-Semite
This cause might not yet have the law on its side
But millions of zealots support it worldwide

One would get a thrashing if I so decide
But I need to know who is a Semite
What if they are held in the highest regard
What if for the trouble I get myself barred

But my drunkard pal with a wider worldview
Said that a Semite is just a plain Jew
Well, I am in luck, as it would appear
I am reassured there is nothing to fear

I worked up resolve, cause Albert Einstein
Was once a respected icon of mine
The people, forgive me, but I have to ask
Should Abraham Lincoln be also unmasked?

Among them, are many who suffered from Stalin
And highly respected by me Charlie Chaplin
My dear friend Rubin and victims of Nazism
And even the founding father of Marxism

But my drunkard buddy said after a job

The blood of the infants they drink, every drop
And I over drinks in a bar overheard
That they long ago crucified our Lord

Without more blood they simply can't do
They tortured an elephant right in a zoo
Against our people committed high treason
And stole all the crops of the previous season

Along major highways they grabbed all the lots
Built luxury dachas and live there like gods
I'll maim and I'll burn, just to make them pay dues
To save our country, I club dirty Jews

- - -

You can compare this sort of mindset to popular expressions of anti-Semitism in the Muslim world and I bet you would find them to be much the same (because they are, minus the bit about "crucifying our Lord", which is specifically Christian), but what you won't find in specifically Christian societies is the canonization of this attitude in sacred scripture, i.e., you don't find in the Bible stuff about how 'the Jews' drink the blood of infants or torture elephants or any of that nonsense, while in the Qur'an you find such chestnuts as these:

[2.135] And they say: Be Jews or Christians, you will be on the right course. Say: Nay! (we follow) the religion of Ibrahim, the Hanif, and he was not one of the polytheists.

(Insinuating that Jews, and also Christians, are polytheists. Interestingly, the word hanif is the Arabic cognate to the Syriac hanpa or hanfa, which in the original means 'pagan')

[2.140] Nay! do you say that Ibrahim and Ismail and Yaqoub and the tribes were Jews or Christians? Say: Are you better knowing or Allah? And who is more unjust than he who conceals a testimony that he has from Allah? And Allah is not at all heedless of what you do.

(Robbing Jews, and again also Christians, of their proper religious patrimony and saying that claiming what they have respectively always claimed is them claiming to be "better knowing than God" certainly sounds like it could fuel stereotypes about them and lead to anti-Semitism, doesn't it?)

[3.67] Ibrahim was not a Jew nor a Christian but he was (an) upright (man), a Muslim, and he was not one of the polytheists.

(Yes, the Qur'an is very repetitive and boring...)

[4.160] Wherefore for the iniquity of those who are Jews did We disallow to them the good things which had been made lawful for them and for their hindering many (people) from Allah's way.

(The Jews apparently caused people to not follow Islam as they should have, and so they deserve the treatment they get, because it's from "god")

[5.51] O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends [the Arabic word here is wali, which some will argue means 'protectors', as though this makes it better somehow -- dzh.]; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

(Being friends with Jews or Christians makes you one of them, and they are unjust people, so don't be friends with them and/or take them as protectors. Yep, no anti-Semitism there!)

Etc., etc.

The hadith are undoubtedly a million times worse, but still the point is that as awful as any anti-Semitism is, it's a lot more awful when it comes out of the Islamic scripture, because that is by definition irreformable. And while you will find in the NT the crowd including some Jews at Christ's crucifixion, saying even that His blood will be on their hands on those of their children (to paraphrase, because I'm on my way out the door), you don't find blanket condemnation of the Jews as a people until the end of time (so very different than the Islamic end times scenario; look it up). Indeed there couldn't be. Our Savior and His family and all of the early apostles were themselves Jews. We owe to those Jews an incalculable debt of praise and veneration for having brought to us our faith, and to Christ, Who is king of the Jews (both those who believed, and those who didn't), our very lives and souls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0