The Kingdom of Heaven Parables. (Matt. 13)

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN PARABLES. (Matt. 13)

I notice that many people are interpreting these parables as applying to us. This is an error. All scripture is NOT about us, however it is FOR us to read and learn about the Lord, His character and His purposes for - the Body of Christ, Israel and the nations.

Now there are many `Kingdom of Heaven` parables, however I will just comment on the Matthew 13 ones here. I`ll do each parable in a separate box, as you may want to comment on a specific one.

In this passage, Matthew 13 we see the Lord talking to the people of Israel concerning the promise of God for rulership through them as a nation over the nations of the world. The `kingdom of heaven,` is the rulership from heaven through Israel. Daniel spoke of this time - `the God of heaven will set up a kingdom,` (Dan. 2: 44) This is shortened to `the kingdom (rule) of heaven.`

This will be in the millennium when God will rule through Israel over the nations. This is the rulership, (kingdom) that Israel was promised and was looking forward to. Jesus used parables to remind Israel of God`s promises. All the parables point to the type of rulership God will set up and who will be there.

Marilyn.

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Parable of the Sower.

The Sower is the Son of Man. `He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man.(Matt. 13: 37)

The Seed, is God`s word from the Lord, to Israel This is confirmed throughout the prophets that God would rule through Israel over the nations of the world. The God of heaven would set up His kingdom rule through Israel - the kingdom rule of heaven.

`And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom, (rule) which shall never be destroyed...` (Dan. 2: 44)

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Parable of the Wheat & Tares.

This is about the righteous and unrighteous at the end of the age. The Lord is reminding the people of Israel the prophetic words of Daniel.

`Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their father.` (Matt. 13: 43)

`Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the firmament and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever.` (Dan. 12: 3)

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Parable of the Mustard Seed.

Here the Lord is again reminding the people of Israel of God`s promise that He would rule through them over the nations of the world. They would be reminded of what the prophet Ezekiel said.

`...the mustard seed... is the least of all the seeds; but when it is grown it is greater than the herbs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and rest in its branches.` (Matt. 13: 31 & 32)

`On the mountain top of Israel I will plant it, ( a young twig) and it will bring forth boughs, and bear fruit, and be a majestic cedar. Under it will dwell birds of every sort; in the shadow of its branches they will dwell.` (Ez. 17: 22 & 23)

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Parable of the Leaven.

Here the Lord reminds the people of Israel of their nation`s beginnings with Abraham & Sarah, of God`s miraculous intervention of the promised son.

`The kingdom (rule) of heaven is like leaven which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal till it was leavened.` (Matt. 13: 33)

`...Abraham hastened into the tent to Sarah and said, :Quickly, make ready three measures of fine meal; knead it and make fine cakes.` (Gen. 18: 6)

`The Lord said .....I will certainly return to you according to the time of life, and behold, Sarah your wife shall have a son.” (Gen. 18: 10)

`The Lord said......since Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him.` (Gen. 18: 18)

The people of Israel should have realised that the Lord was speaking about the 3 heavenly visitors that came to Abraham and told him that his wife would have a son. The 3 cakes, indicates the 3 visitors, and the wonderful news of the coming miraculous son, the early beginnings of their nation.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Parable of the Treasure.

`The kingdom (rule) of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. ` (Matt. 13: 44)

`Now therefore , if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, then you shall be a SPECIAL TREASURE to me above all people; for all the earth is mine.` (Ex. 19: 6)

Earlier in the parables the Lord said that `the field is the world,` (Matt. 13: 38) Then in Exodus we read that the Lord regards Israel as His special treasure.

So it is that God gave His all, His Son to fulfil the covenant, that Israel could not fulfil. God `sold all,` to redeem Israel His treasure.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Parable of the Pearl of Great Price.

`Again the kingdom (rule) of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that He had and bought it.` (Matt. 13: 45 & 46)

The merchant is God who was looking for a righteous ruler.

The `pearl of great price,` is the Lord. Pearls speak of wisdom, and it is by wisdom that Kings rule. (Prov. 8: 11 & 15) Solomon was the wisest ruler Israel ever had, yet the Lord said that ` a greater than Solomon is here.` (Matt. 12: 42) Thus the Lord is the wisest ruler, the great pearl.

God gave His all, His only Son, so that He would come to earth and not only redeem man but take on rulership of Israel by being born of that nation.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Parable of the Dragnet.

`Again, the kingdom (rule) of heaven is like a dragnet that was cast into the sea and gathered some of every kind, which, when it was full, they drew to shore; and they sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but threw the bad away.

So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just, and cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. ` (Matt. 13: 47 - 50)

The Lord is reminding the people of Israel of the judgment at the end of this age before the millennium. The wicked will be separated from the righteous.

“For behold, the day is coming burning like an oven, and all the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up,” says the Lord of Hosts, “That will leave them neither root nor branch.

But you who fear my name the Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings; and you shall go out and grow fat like stall-fed calves. (Mal.4: 1 & 2)

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Parable of the Wheat & Tares.

This is about the righteous and unrighteous at the end of the age. The Lord is reminding the people of Israel the prophetic words of Daniel.

`Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their father.` (Matt. 13: 43)

`Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the firmament and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever.` (Dan. 12: 3)

This whole thing your doing will only work if you show the other side of that particular coin, where are the Tares spoken of in the same way, as a counter to those who shine forth as the sun.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN PARABLES. (Matt. 13)

I notice that many people are interpreting these parables as applying to us. This is an error. All scripture is NOT about us, however it is FOR us to read and learn about the Lord, His character and His purposes for - the Body of Christ, Israel and the nations.

Now there are many `Kingdom of Heaven` parables, however I will just comment on the Matthew 13 ones here. I`ll do each parable in a separate box, as you may want to comment on a specific one.

In this passage, Matthew 13 we see the Lord talking to the people of Israel concerning the promise of God for rulership through them as a nation over the nations of the world. The `kingdom of heaven,` is the rulership from heaven through Israel. Daniel spoke of this time - `the God of heaven will set up a kingdom,` (Dan. 2: 44) This is shortened to `the kingdom (rule) of heaven.`

This will be in the millennium when God will rule through Israel over the nations. This is the rulership, (kingdom) that Israel was promised and was looking forward to. Jesus used parables to remind Israel of God`s promises. All the parables point to the type of rulership God will set up and who will be there.

Marilyn.
The kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God are interchangeable terms as they refer to the same thing. They refer to "eternal life" which applies to all persons - not just the Jews. Jesus himself defined these terms when he responded to the rich young ruler's question about how to gain eternal life. Jesus in explaining to his disciples used the kingdom of God and kingdom of heaven interchangeably in reference to eternal life. Eternal life = kingdom of God = kingdom of heaven. The Jews were anticipating their Messiah to come as a king to vanquish their enemies and set up his reign upon the earth. Thus the rich young ruler who was a Jew, asked Jesus about eternal life not as "life forever" but as life during the Millennium. We have wrongly construed eternal life as meaning life forever with God when it actually means co-reigning with Jesus during the Millennium.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thus the rich young ruler who was a Jew, asked Jesus about eternal life not as "life forever" but as life during the Millennium. We have wrongly construed eternal life as meaning life forever with God when it actually means co-reigning with Jesus during the Millennium.

Are you able to put any meat on those bones?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you able to put any meat on those bones?
Rare, medium or well done?
In passing, and in connection with the great theme which we are only touching upon, let me say to Bible students that we must be very careful how we use the word “eternity." We have fallen into great error in our constant use of that word. There is no word in the whole Book of God corresponding with our "eternal," which, as commonly used among us, means absolutely without end. The strongest Scripture word used with reference to the existence of God, is-" unto the ages of the ages," which does not literally mean eternally. G. Campbell Morgan (God's Methods With Man; p 185-86)

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟123,095.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Parable of the Treasure.
`The kingdom (rule) of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. ` (Matt. 13: 44)
`Now therefore , if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, then you shall be
a SPECIAL TREASURE to me above all people; for all the earth is mine.` (Ex. 19: 6)
Earlier in the parables the Lord said that `the field is the world,` (Matt. 13: 38) Then in Exodus we read that the Lord regards Israel as His special treasure.

So it is that God gave His all, His Son to fulfil the covenant, that Israel could not fulfil. God `sold all,` to redeem Israel His treasure.
The parable about the HIDDEN treasure refers to Israel now hidden. Being in the soil of the world it’s still unproductive because of a divided heart, like the example of Martha and Mary. Martha can be likened to the old and Mary to the new.

Isaiah 45:3
And have given to you the treasures of darkness, And the hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I am Jehovah, Who calls you by your name, The God of Israel.​

The field is the world (v38) and the man is Christ(v37) There is a hidden treasure and a costly pearl that Christ wants. And they are within the world of humanity, the human race. Christ is not hidden in the world nor is He for sale. Luke 19:10 The hidden treasure are His ‘peculiar people’ from the beginning. Psalms 135:4 They are His witnesses from of old. But they failed to fulfill their roles. When the Son of Man came that treasure was hidden from Him. Romans 11:5

While the Pearl of great price is the costly new creation. Costly for Christ in His redemption. For one pearl the truth is ‘given’ I think of Mary and John the beloved as that pearl.

Matthew 13:12
For to those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.​

Acts of the Apostles 15:14 During this time the treasure was hidden and Israel faded into the background. Romans 11:25,29

When Christ died for the world it was ‘unto all’ and ‘upon all’ them that believe; for there is no difference. Romans 3:22

The ‘unto all’ is universal in God’s righteous acts. But it is ‘upon all that believe’

Not for 2 Peter 2:1

The Parable of the Pearl of Great Price.
`Again the kingdom (rule) of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that He had and bought it.` (Matt. 13: 45 & 46)
The merchant is God who was looking for a righteous ruler.

The `pearl of great price,` is the Lord. Pearls speak of wisdom, and it is by wisdom that Kings rule. (Prov. 8: 11 & 15) Solomon was the wisest ruler Israel ever had, yet the Lord said that ` a greater than Solomon is here.` (Matt. 12: 42) Thus the Lord is the wisest ruler, the great pearl.

God gave His all, His only Son, so that He would come to earth and not only redeem man but take on rulership of Israel by being born of that nation.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This whole thing your doing will only work if you show the other side of that particular coin, where are the Tares spoken of in the same way, as a counter to those who shine forth as the sun.

Hi JIMINZ,

Thanks for reading and replying. Yes more detail is needed, and I thought I`d leave that to the discussion. So, the Tares.

`He who sows the seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked one. The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is at the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels. Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age.

The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.` (Matt. 13: 17 - 43)

The tares are shown collected by the angels -

`Then two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.` (Matt. 24: 40 & 41)

`...the angel thrust his sickle into the earth and gathered the vine of the earth and threw it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trampled outside the city....` (Rev. 14: 19 & 20)

So we see that people wherever they are when the Lord comes, (Matt. 24: 36) will be judged and `one taken and one left.`

Also the world`s armies in the valley around Jerusalem will be burned with fire from the Lord`s mouth & great glory.

`And then the lawless one ......whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.` ( 2 Thess. 2: 8)

` And this shall be the plague which the Lord will strike all the people who fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh shall dissolve while they stand on their feet, their eyes shall dissolve in their sockets...` (Zech. 14: 12)

Marilyn.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The parable about the HIDDEN treasure refers to Israel now hidden. Being in the soil of the world it’s still unproductive because of a divided heart, like the example of Martha and Mary. Martha can be likened to the old and Mary to the new.

Isaiah 45:3
And have given to you the treasures of darkness, And the hidden riches of secret places, That you may know that I am Jehovah, Who calls you by your name, The God of Israel.​

The field is the world (v38) and the man is Christ(v37) There is a hidden treasure and a costly pearl that Christ wants. And they are within the world of humanity, the human race. Christ is not hidden in the world nor is He for sale. Luke 19:10 The hidden treasure are His ‘peculiar people’ from the beginning. Psalms 135:4 They are His witnesses from of old. But they failed to fulfill their roles. When the Son of Man came that treasure was hidden from Him. Romans 11:5

While the Pearl of great price is the costly new creation. Costly for Christ in His redemption. For one pearl the truth is ‘given’ I think of Mary and John the beloved as that pearl.

Hi LoreneDD,

I said -

So it seems we agree with that.

Then as to the Pearl of Great Price, you rightly connect that with truth/wisdom as Proverbs tell us. Then again proverbs 8 says that by wisdom kings rule. And we are told that king Solomon was the wisest ruler. However the Lord says that He is the wisest ruler. So He is the Pearl of Great Price as the wise king to rule through Israel in the millennium.

No good having a kingdom/rulership without the ruler and the wisest ruler is needed and that is the Lord Himself.

Marilyn.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God are interchangeable terms as they refer to the same thing. They refer to "eternal life" which applies to all persons - not just the Jews. Jesus himself defined these terms when he responded to the rich young ruler's question about how to gain eternal life. Jesus in explaining to his disciples used the kingdom of God and kingdom of heaven interchangeably in reference to eternal life. Eternal life = kingdom of God = kingdom of heaven. The Jews were anticipating their Messiah to come as a king to vanquish their enemies and set up his reign upon the earth. Thus the rich young ruler who was a Jew, asked Jesus about eternal life not as "life forever" but as life during the Millennium. We have wrongly construed eternal life as meaning life forever with God when it actually means co-reigning with Jesus during the Millennium.

Hi Oldmantook,

Actually they are not interchangeable. The term `Kingdom of Heaven,` is only used when speaking to Israel as their kingdom/rulership promised by the Father in the millennium.

The term ` Kingdom of God` refers to the overall kingdom/rulership in every realm from the highest heavens to the earth.

Note the different gospels are written to different ethnic groups - Matthew to Israel, Mark to the Romans, Luke to the Greeks and John to all.

Marilyn.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Oldmantook,

Actually they are not interchangeable. The term `Kingdom of Heaven,` is only used when speaking to Israel as their kingdom/rulership promised by the Father in the millennium.

The term ` Kingdom of God` refers to the overall kingdom/rulership in every realm from the highest heavens to the earth.

Note the different gospels are written to different ethnic groups - Matthew to Israel, Mark to the Romans, Luke to the Greeks and John to all.

Marilyn.
You have faled to account for Jesus' definition of eternal life as he explained it to his own disciples in the account of the rich young ruler. Therefore in my opinion, your interpretation remains problematic. I prefer Jesus' interpretation.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟123,095.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi LoreneDD,

I said -

So it seems we agree with that.

Then as to the Pearl of Great Price, you rightly connect that with truth/wisdom as Proverbs tell us. Then again proverbs 8 says that by wisdom kings rule. And we are told that king Solomon was the wisest ruler. However the Lord says that He is the wisest ruler. So He is the Pearl of Great Price as the wise king to rule through Israel in the millennium.

No good having a kingdom/rulership without the ruler and the wisest ruler is needed and that is the Lord Himself.

Marilyn.
The reign of Solomon as the wisest ruler didn’t end as such when he had 1000 temples in the pattern of Bathsheba’s husband’s religion. Jus’ sayin'

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have faled to account for Jesus' definition of eternal life as he explained it to his own disciples in the account of the rich young ruler. Therefore in my opinion, your interpretation remains problematic. I prefer Jesus' interpretation.

Hi Oldmantook,

Yes that also needs looking at. Jesus told the rich young ruler -

`...if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.` (Matt. 19: 17)

So Oldmantook, is that how you are receiving your eternal life in Christ?

Marilyn.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
74259733 said:
The reign of Solomon as the wisest ruler didn’t end as such when he had 1000 temples in the pattern of Bathsheba’s husband’s religion. Jus’ sayin'

Hi Zao,

That`s so true.

Marilyn.

Last edited:
Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0