Arizona
✟6,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You know, what is interesting about the third temple, is that I have increasingly heard Christians say on YouTube or on sermons that the Jews can build their temple on the temple mount without tearing down the Dome of the rock. They can build the temple right next to it, for example. I guess they are trying to explain for the seeming impossibility that the Muslim faithful would ever allow their shrine and mosque on the temple mount to ever be taken down. My answer to that is that in the natural, yes, that would be impossible. Under no circumstances would Muslims ever allow their buildings to be taken down, especially in order to have the Jews rebuild the temple. Only God could make something like that happen.

However, what is interesting is that in the book of Ezekiel, the dimensions of the third temple are given. And the temple is actually many times larger than the current temple mount. It's over 20% the size of the current old city portion of Jerusalem. So, what gives?

I suspect many Christians would say that Ezekiel is describing the temple of the 1,000 year reign of Christ where the lion will lie down with the lamb and where men will turn the weapons of war into farming tools. But that would mean there are four temples total. I wonder if someone can attempt to explain?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You know, what is interesting about the third temple, is that I have increasingly heard Christians say on YouTube or on sermons that the Jews can build their temple on the temple mount without tearing down the Dome of the rock. They can build the temple right next to it, for example. I guess they are trying to explain for the seeming impossibility that the Muslim faithful would ever allow their shrine and mosque on the temple mount to ever be taken down. My answer to that is that in the natural, yes, that would be impossible. Under no circumstances would Muslims ever allow their buildings to be taken down, especially in order to have the Jews rebuild the temple. Only God could make something like that happen.

However, what is interesting is that in the book of Ezekiel, the dimensions of the third temple are given. And the temple is actually many times larger than the current temple mount. It's over 20% the size of the current old city portion of Jerusalem. So, what gives?

I suspect many Christians would say that Ezekiel is describing the temple of the 1,000 year reign of Christ where the lion will lie down with the lamb and where men will turn the weapons of war into farming tools. But that would mean there are four temples total. I wonder if someone can attempt to explain?
Think of it this way. The reason they've yet to be able to build a temple is because of Christ.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,179.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Can skip to the 8:50 mark;

I don't think theres going to be any third temple on the temple mount with the Al-Aqsa Mosque there at the moment with all the tensions going on between Muslims and Jews.

I don't think even building the third temple next to the mosque will work either. The MUslims don't like the Jews hanging around the area and praying let alone having sacrifices and more people gathering around praying.

BUt I get this feeling that Isreal is not in the mood for accommodating the Palestinians at the moment and if other Muslims feel resentful at Isreal attacking their brothers then they may also get volatile of the Jews presence. Building a new temple would also bring many Jews into Isreal and to the temple which is the last thing the Muslims would want.

Maybe they can build the temple at another site, maybe in the City of David. I think from memory archeologists found some evdience of a temple and animal sacriice in the city of David but I don't think its the second temple.

The only other way I see it happening is if the Isreali's completely take back control of Isreal and Jerusalem. But I don't think thats going to happen as its too provocative even for its allies.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
God only has one Temple, and it's Jesus and His Church.

-CryptoLutheran

Indeed... in the words of N.T. Wright on this particular aspect of Dispensationalism, it's really quite idolatrous.

The concept of blood sacrifices of animals for sin: I don't see how any Christian can think that would be godly or right. The heart of Christian theology is that Christ is the mediator between God and humanity, he has made atonement for all sin, once and for all time, he is the only high priest, presiding now in a sanctuary not made by human hands.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Needless provocation.
That's not how the Jews view it. Without a Temple they see themselves as not having a place to offer sacrifices for atonement. Seen that way you can understand their desire to re-build it.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That's not how the Jews view it. Without a Temple they see themselves as not having a place to offer sacrifices for atonement. Seen that way you can understand their desire to re-build it.

And the Scientologists need to clear the Earth, but that wouldn't justify abducting people and putting them in re-education camps, now would it?

Religion should be a private matter between the individual and their conscience, infringing on no ones basic rights. When religion is used to justify things that people would otherwise find despicable, then it becomes inhumane and doesn't warrant respect. Demolishing the Al-Aqsa complex, a place of worship for over a billion people worldwide, would indeed be a despicable act.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I'm not a Jew, so this is irrelevant to me. I view it as a needless provocation at a time when such things are absolutely not helpful to anyone.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

For the majority of observant Jews there is, at present, no need for a temple. It is a very tiny minority of observant Jews who want to try and re-build the temple. Because in the mainstream of Judaism it is believed that the temple won't be rebuilt until the messiah comes.

As Christians we believe Messiah has already come, His name is Jesus. And that the Temple and all its significance now applies to Him and His Church. He Himself said, "tear down this temple and in three days I will raise it up again" speaking of His body; and as the Church is His Mystical Body the Church is likewise the Temple of God.

Therefore in Christianity a physical temple in Jerusalem will always be irrelevant.

When Christ returns in glory as Judge and hands all things over to the Father and God makes all things new, we read that in the Age to Come there is no need of a temple because "the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple" (Revelation 21:22).

What this means is that the desire of a tiny fringe of observant Jews to be provocateurs is not what the majority of practicing Jews, not to mention secular Jews, actually want. And it will accomplish nothing but stir divisions and create new conflicts where conflict is already extreme--if the past month of violence hasn't made that obvious, not to mention the past several decades of violence in addition to that.

So let's not pretend that rebuilding the temple would be a good thing even as far as most observant Jews are concerned. Because it's not.

I'm genuinely curious how many people who think as you do have ever bothered to really have meaningful conversations with Jewish people, or look at Jewish sources, or see what Jewish people actually have to say.

I feel like what I observe instead is a fetishization of Jewish people.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Maybe Christ returns before they get one built.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can skip to the 8:50 mark;

Yes I believe Israel will take the temple mount and it will fulfill Luke 21:20-22 below, I believe the World's Muslims will surround and take Jerusalem, as the Antichrist will be soon to follow as the man of peace

The Temple mount presently has the 2nd holiest site In the Muslim religion (Al-Aqsa mosque), as they believe Mohammed ascended to heaven at this place

Could this present conflict escalate into Israel trying or taking the temple mount?

Will Muslim armies surround Jerusalem in the near future?

Luke 21:20-22KJV
20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0