Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are unwilling to do that?

Why?
I just always wonder if it’s best to give human beings that level of trust. But others seem to trust the process 100% and they are 100% certain in the decisions these people made. I’d like to know what made people somfirtsble I’m trusting them.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Given that any given Bible is a translation of a translation of a translation, I think that claiming it is the literal word of God would obviously be wrong. I think over 2,000 years and an infinite number of translations, the word of man under the pretense of being from God has absolutely slipped in there.

Who told you that the Bibles we have today are translations of translations? This is simply inaccurate.

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I first learned it from my theology professor in seminary, but it is a reflection of Calvin, Berkhof, Hodge, and Frame's definitions of inspiration.
Ah....so no written references then...thanks.

Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have them in the collections of critical texts known as BHS and Nestle-Aland. You can find faithful translations of these texts in the NASB, ESV, and NIV at your local bookstore.

These are not the manuscripts written by the original authors.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
IMO that is a distortion of what the NT actually teaches.

That is true, Paul presents celibacy as a noble vocation (as does Jesus), in contrast to Proverb's that seems to think marriage is an unqualified good, regardless of calling.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Point taken but it still sounds like the prosperity gospel, honestly. Get married and you're promised happiness? I know for some people, that's just not true.
Do NOT ever take the bible understanding according to a Greek linear viewpoint. It (both testaments) are written from an Hebraic mindset which has an entirely different logic framework.

If you try to apply the pagan Aristotelian logic, you will eventually run off the tracks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You really have no idea how to get along with people, do you? I never said the gospel was or wasn't anything. I was talking about one verse you don't seem to understand, 2 Tim 3:16. But... I won't bother writing you again and thanks again for providing and non-divisive platform where brothers can come together in unity and share their thoughts without fear that we would divide and cause strife.
I think the point @mark kennedy established is that the apostles were proclaiming the 'word of God' or 'word of the Lord' and as such like the OT prophets, they were establishing Scriptures.

Paul is very clear in Colossians that he was preaching 'the word of God.'

Colossians 1: NASB
24Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions. 25Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God, 26that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, 27to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 28We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, so that we may present every man complete in Christ. 29For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me.

Seems to be a theme:

Act 4:31

And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.

Act 6:2

So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables.

Act 6:7

The word of God kept on spreading; and the number of the disciples continued to increase greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were becoming obedient to the faith.

Act 8:14

Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John,

Act 11:1

Now the apostles and the brethren who were throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God.

Act 13:5

When they reached Salamis, they began to proclaim the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews; and they also had John as their helper.

Act 13:7

who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence. This man summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.

Act 13:46

Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles.

Act 17:13

But when the Jews of Thessalonica found out that the word of God had been proclaimed by Paul in Berea also, they came there as well, agitating and stirring up the crowds.

Act 18:11

And he settled there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

Rom 9:6

But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel;

1Co 14:36

Was it from you that the word of God first went forth? Or has it come to you only?

2Co 2:17

For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God.

2Co 4:2

but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by the manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

Eph 6:17

And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Phl 1:14

and that most of the brethren, trusting in the Lord because of my imprisonment, have far more courage to speak the word of God without fear.

Col 1:25

Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,

1Th 2:13

For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.

1Ti 4:5

for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

2Ti 2:9

for which I suffer hardship even to imprisonment as a criminal; but the word of God is not imprisoned.

Tit 2:5

to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.

Heb 4:12

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Heb 6:5

and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,

Heb 11:3

By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.

Heb 13:7

Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.

1Pe 1:23

for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.

2Pe 3:5

For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water,

1Jo 2:14

I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.

Rev 1:2

who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.

Rev 1:9

I, John, your brother and fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance which are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you know which definition is "made up" and which one is standard in theology? I assume you lifted your definition from Google or Webster's dictionary. These are not great authorities on definitions of theological terms. The definition I've put forth is not at all unique to me, but is a very standard, orthodox, and historic definition of the doctrine of inspiration.
This is exactly why I have a hard time figuring out for certain anything.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is true, Paul presents celibacy as a noble vocation (as does Jesus), in contrast to Proverb's that seems to think marriage is an unqualified good, regardless of calling.
A noble calling and gifting, but as most charismatic gifts (how Paul describes it) like healing or prophecy, it is rare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I first learned it from my theology professor in seminary, but it is a reflection of Calvin, Berkhof, Hodge, and Frame's definitions of inspiration.
Why does anybody get to just make up stuff? Regardless of their status.

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yup. Paul seems to think that you should get married only if you're so horny you can't stand it any more (my paraphrase). 1 Corinthians 7:9

• Useful
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just always wonder if it’s best to give human beings that level of trust.

Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.”

A proper historical understanding of our Lord's word usage here says that HE gave humans that level of trust.

Not only would they be given authority to write the NT; the choices and decisions they made be backed up by heaven itself.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Do NOT ever take the bible understanding according to a Greek linear viewpoint. It (both testaments) are written from an Hebraic mindset which has an entirely different logic framework.

If you try to apply the pagan Aristotelian logic, you will eventually run off the tracks.

It's not pagan, it's Jesus-centered. Jesus says the true blessings come from following him. He says nothing about settling down into bronze/iron age domesticity. Indeed, he seems to disdain the notion that traditional family obligations of his culture have some kind of ultimacy (Luke 9:60).

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yup. Paul seems to think that you should get married only if you're so horny you can't stand it any more (my paraphrase). 1 Corinthians 7:9
Written in the feminine.

Never once does Paul say to get more self control in that area. Those who have the gift of celibacy do not have that problem.

Upvote 0