Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is inspired by God. What does this mean?

Simply put - "What the Bible says, God says."

Some say that the Bible is inspired, but they are not comfortable saying that the Bible is the very words of God. They have some looser, stranger view of inspiration.

What the Bible says, God says. Can we give this a hearty "Amen"?

Last edited:

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I find that an interesting discussion, since we have God (Jesus the Christ) in the New Testament actually changing old law :) Which of course is the New Testament of Jesus the Christ.

I consider Jesus' words over anything that contradicts Him though. If I find contradictions.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some say that the Bible is inspired, but they are not comfortably saying that the Bible is the very words of God. They have some looser, stranger view of inspiration.
Do you think the bible is "the very words of God"?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Do you think it was dictated word-for-word as Muslims claim about the Koran?

No. I believe in organic inspiration. But the end result of organic inspiration is that the Bible contains every word that God wanted it to contain in order to convey his speech to us.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. I believe in organic inspiration. But the end result of organic inspiration is that the Bible contains every word that God wanted it to contain in order to convey his speech to us.

And how can we measure whether each and every word in the Bible contains that and only that which God intended it to contain? By using the Bible to measure the Bible?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is inspired by God. What does this mean? Simply put - "What the Bible says, God says." Some say that the Bible is inspired, but they are not comfortably saying that the Bible is the very words of God. They have some looser, stranger view of inspiration. What the Bible says, God says. Can we give this a hearty "Amen"?
:amen:

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And how can we measure whether each and every word in the Bible contains that and only that which God intended it to contain? By using the Bible to measure the Bible?

Yes.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him" (Acts 8:30-31).

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him" (Acts 8:30-31).

You're quoting the very words of God. I love it!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Bible was not designed to be a textbook of science and history, but what it says in the way of history and science is absolutely true. But we need to distinguish the parts of the Bible that are written for us in terms of our education and encouragement, and what is written to us as doctrine and direct instruction.

For example, "Judas went out and hanged himself". That was written about what Judas did when he became deeply depressed about what he had done to Christ, but that doesn't mean that we should go and do the same when we get depressed. The description of Judas was written for us, but not to us.

But when Paul wrote: "Be not drunk with wine wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit, singing to yourselves in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs" he wrote to us because this is his direct instruction for every believer then and now.

When Elijah called down fire on the altar at Mt Carmel and then killed all the prophets of Baal, that was written for us and not to us, because we are not instructed to call down fire on altars or kill false prophets.

But when Paul wrote to the Corinthian church he wrote:
"Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes, to the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 1:1-3), he was writing to us, so that the whole of 1 Corinthians applies to us in our day as much as it did to the Corinthians and every Christian believer in every other church where Paul's letter went.

But we have some prejudiced religious (not Bible) teachers who take 1 Corinthians 12 and 14 and say they are written for us in our day and not to us. This is not what Paul pointed out at all. He said quite clearly that everything he wrote to the Corinthian church applies to every Christian believer everywhere, in his time and in ours.

So, once we have distinguished between what is for our education and encouragement, and what is to us for direct instruction, then we can approach the Bible with confidence knowing that we can rely on it for knowing God's plan and purpose for our lives and how we can live holy and righteously in this world.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Some say that the Bible is inspired, but they are not comfortably saying that the Bible is the very words of God. They have some looser, stranger view of inspiration.

What the Bible says, God says. Can we give this a hearty "Amen"?

AMEN!!:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Glad to see you place unquestioning trust in the people who canonized it.
Hi Chesterton, where did Tree say that?
upload_2019-4-28_21-12-46.gif

--David

2 Peter 3
15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom that God gave him.
16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi Chesterton, where did Tree say that? View attachment 255625

--David

2 Peter 3
15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom that God gave him.
16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
He said we can use the bible to measure the bible. That would have to indicate complete faith in the men who canonized the bible.

• Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He said we can use the bible to measure the bible. That would have to indicate complete faith in the men who canonized the bible.

I have confidence in the Bible because it is God's word, not because it was recognized as such by the church.

Upvote 0