• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The inside story on vaccine dangers

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are studies on brain scans comparing autism spectrum folks with neuro-typical folks, I believe. I don't have any data on them, in particular the results. I am too focused on finding solutions/adaptations for problematic issues for my ASD son, rather than trying to determine the cause. Perhaps someone else will more information on them.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Odd question here grandvisier1006 but I will put it into a situation for you ... Lets say one of these guys, most particularly my boyfriend, is a baby and they had a brain scan after they were born. Thats the scenario but heres the question I wonder, how could that brain scan on his head pick up Aspergers Syndrome and / or Autism? If anyone can answer this question, Id like to know the answer.

I don't quite know how it works, but they could basically just look at the baby's brain and determine whether or not the child has an ASD. It's probably expensive, though, and it would take an expert to notice whatever differences there are (I personally don't think my brain is too horribly different from other people's. Let's face it, our "uniqueness" is greatly exaggerated. So we like things a certain way, are interested in certain things, and have social interaction issues? Is that it?) ;)

Upvote 0

HazelAngel

A New Zealander that is proud of her country
May 13, 2007
Watching a Disney Movie
✟25,039.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now that I didnt know but that answers my question. I didnt realize there has been studies on those kind of brains and those without Autism and / or Aspergers Syndrome. That to me is fascinating I believe.

Upvote 0

HazelAngel

A New Zealander that is proud of her country
May 13, 2007
Watching a Disney Movie
✟25,039.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If the Vaccines dont cause Autism / Aspergers Syndrome could it be the starvation of the brain to oxygen or something of the like. My friend I was speaking about, the one with Autism, he was born with his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck so he couldnt breathe. Could that have caused his Autism???

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Here is something I saw on another site I frequent:

Studies Implicate Early Injury to Cerebellum as Major Cause of Autism | Science News | Autism Speaks

autism_risk_graph_300.jpg

Note that receiving the MMR vaccine correlates with a 10% DECREASE in the autism rate.

Most of the big correlations are genetic or relate to head trauma.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Seeking a life that honors God.
Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟663,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not sure if I can trust Autism Speaks, but a brain injury sounds like it would make sense...for low-functioning autism. And then I go down to the comments section to find numerous paranoid mothers. Autism Speaks has been humorously named as the "Establishment of parents inconvenienced by [low-functioning] autism". And all of the "autism activists" are on the other side of the ignorance spectrum :D

They insist that autism is a glorious difference that autistic people contribute to the global community and blah blah blah, and that what people ought to do is "tolerate/accept/accommodate" it and will gouge your eyes out if you suggest a cure. The problem? All of the people in this little movement are either high-functioning or have Asperger's. They completely ignore low-functioning people and throw them by the wayside so that they can get their entitlement, even though other people might need it more. I myself made straight As in high school, I don't need a pity party.

And during my depression around the time I first joined CF, I thought that as an Aspie myself I just "had" to go and join them, even though I didn't want to. I wanted to be a person, not a superhuman or a subhuman.

That's the problem with ASDs--according to the rest of the world you're either a super-genius or a "barely there", permanently-immature person. I'm neither one of those things, I'm just a person with a few quirks.

I will say that my twin brother and I were born several weeks early, though, and that could have done something since we were hospitalized for months afterwards. We also had low birth weights (2 pounds, 12 ounce for him and 2 pounds 4 ounces for me! :eek:) to this day I'm still a bit underweight and scrawny. Apparently having a higher birth weight can lead to an increased intelligence quotient, but I was called smart a million times despite my meager weight, so...:scratch:

So while there was probably some cause, it certainly wasn't preventable since the people in my family really don't act like Aspies at all--it's just my brother and myself. Although I don't see how living a hurricane zone or being raised in a Romanian orphanage has anything to do with autism. As Sabertooth said, maybe a number of higher-functioning children are being "moved down on the spectrum" by some vaccines (besides MMR), since those paranoid moms in the comments section were literally saying "I've seen it with my own eyes! My child walked and talked and then he/she regressed!" And since Autism Speaks tends to lump all types of ASDs together (and maybe scares people into thinking that it's all low-functioning) then I can understand their fears.

I just think that the main thing needs to be the idea that autism is a spectrum. Asperger's is probably at the "higher end", and it comes with a number of problems that "regular autistic people" don't have. Unfortunately some idiots at the DSM decided to lump it all together and so now they tell parents "Your child is AUTISTIC!" and scare them or confuse them. I'm not "AUTISTIC!" (in the sense that I'm one of those people Autism Speaks attempts to help parents assist), but I do have an ASD. It's just not that bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... Thats the scenario but heres the question I wonder, how could that brain scan on his head pick up Aspergers Syndrome and / or Autism? If anyone can answer this question, Id like to know the answer.
I am no expert on brain scans, but Asperger's appears to be wiring where contemporary Kanner's appears to be injury on top of wiring (and, most likely, because of said wiring).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Texas101

Somewhere in the continuum
Nov 9, 2013
Houston
✟15,506.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Texas101,
The pre-1979 MMR was not implicated in any comparable outcome. See Sound Choice | Children of God for Life and related articles.

I looked. So far I didn't see anything that was peer reviewed or measured against the double blind standard. From what I can tell the website you've offered is like may others that are biased in a particular ideology. While their motivation is noble a collect of broad independent sources will provide a better balance.

Upvote 0