Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible teaches that it's possible to commit sins without even knowing that it was a sin. So my question for those people who teach that you need to repent of your sins in order to have your sins forgiven, would be, did you repent of every sin that you committed? You certainly didn't. Everyone has committed sins through ignorance without even realizing that it was wrong.

Are you supposed to tell God, "I'm so sorry for committing this mystery sin that I don't even know that I committed"? That doesn't make any sense. How can you be sorry for something that doesn't exist, or you don't remember?

I heard Paul Washer say, "I didn't repent of what I did, I repented of what I was."

He probably meant that he repented of the fact that he was a sinner. But the only reason why anyone would know that they are a sinner is because they know that they have broken God's law. However, you can never know about every little sin that you committed. It's foolish to think you can. And this "repent of your sins for salvation" teaching is also foolish and unbiblical. The Bible never says "repent of your sins" even though people repeat that phrase like a parrot.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Bible teaches that it's possible to commit sins without even knowing that it was a sin. So my question for those people who teach that you need to repent of your sins in order to have your sins forgiven, would be, did you repent of every sin that you committed? You certainly didn't. Everyone has committed sins through ignorance without even realizing that it was wrong.

Are you supposed to tell God, "I'm so sorry for committing this mystery sin that I don't even know that I committed"? That doesn't make any sense. How can you be sorry for something that doesn't exist, or you don't remember?

I heard Paul Washer say, "I didn't repent of what I did, I repented of what I was."

He probably meant that he repented of the fact that he was a sinner. But the only reason why anyone would know that they are a sinner is because they know that they have broken God's law. However, you can never know about every little sin that you committed. It's foolish to think you can. And this "repent of your sins for salvation" teaching is also foolish and unbiblical. The Bible never says "repent of your sins" even though people repeat that phrase like a parrot.

The Holy Spirit lets us know when we sin .... we are to repent for our known sins (those the Holy Spirit makes us aware of - brings to our mind).

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

The Gospel of John the only book of the Bible written whose stated purpose for being written "to tell people how to have eternal life".
Never mentions repentance as a part, an unbeliever needs to do to receive the gift of God "eternal life"
But does mention trust,faith belief in the Messiah for eternal life many times.

That settles it for me.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus taught a parable. He criticized those who refused to repent.

Matthew 21:28 (WEB) “But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first, and said, ‘Son, go work today in my vineyard.’ 29 He answered, ‘I will not,’ but afterward he changed his mind, and went. 30 He came to the second, and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I’m going, sir,’ but he didn’t go. 31 Which of the two did the will of his father?”

They said to him, “The first.”

Jesus said to them, “Most certainly I tell you that the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering into God’s Kingdom before you. 32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you didn’t believe him; but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. When you saw it, you didn’t even repent afterward, that you might believe him.”

I can recall John the Baptist also preached repentance. Perhaps you should do more in depth Bible study. Some of the passages are of greater value than other passages in the same book.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I assumed people don’t have a nuanced enough understanding of what “sin” is. I assumed the sin was the bit inside you that caused you to do things. I assumed it was this “bit” or “inspiration” that needed to be realigned (repentance). ???

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
we need to repent of our sins, how can we be clean if we don't stop sinning, we are going to swim in the mud the whole time?
I assumed it was the other way around. The heart holds the sin and out of the heart comes the “bad” stuff

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I assumed it was the other way around. The heart holds the sin and out of the heart comes the “bad” stuff

either way we need to stop thinking evil in our hearts and minds, and stop doing evil too to be clean.
After you stopped sinning and ask for forgiveness God can clean you, you may need to change first witht the help of God to stop sinning. Our new nature is supposed to not want to sin, but we may have spiritual problems or something that we need to deal to become free.
Something like that i think.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
either way we need to stop thinking evil in our hearts and minds, and stop doing evil too to be clean.
After you stopped sinning and ask for forgiveness God can clean you, you may need to change first witht the help of God to stop sinning. Our new nature is supposed to not want to sin, but we may have spiritual problems or something that we need to deal to become free.
Something like that i think.
I figured sin was the inspiration within us that is not of God. Repentance was the commitment to try hard to only be inspired by God from now on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we need to repent of our sins, how can we be clean if we don't stop sinning, we are going to swim in the mud the whole time?

Of course. We also need to do hard work and provide for our family. The Bible tells to work six days in a week. But do we need to work for our salvation?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So my question for those people who teach that you need to repent of your sins in order to have your sins forgiven, would be, did you repent of every sin that you committed? You certainly didn't.

Seems like another frail attempt to teach that we can go on sinning without concern of hell.

No hypocrisy whatsoever, and you haven't a leg to stand on with that stance.

If we are ignorant of any sin, it's not problem. when we become aware of it, then it is, and of course then we can repent and ask forgiveness. That simple.

Read the following link and it may help you understand about ignorance of sin, or sin of ignorance:

Post Page

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seems like another frail attempt to teach that we can go on sinning without concern of hell.

No hypocrisy whatsoever, and you haven't a leg to stand on with that stance.

If we are ignorant of any sin, it's not problem. when we become aware of it, then it is, and of course then we can repent and ask forgiveness. That simple.

Read the folowing and it may help you understand about ignorance of sin, or sin of ignorance:

Post Page
I don’t think it’s a frail attempt to keep on being bad - it sounds like a fair question to me - and an important one.

if you don’t know you’re not guilty - but - the law was given so that you would know. This indicates (to me at least) that God wishes us to grow. So I figured the purpose of the law was to help us understand and grow from it.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I figured sin was the inspiration within us that is not of God. Repentance was the commitment to try hard to only be inspired by God from now on.

the inspiration that is not of God is the sinful nature, and sin is breaking the law of God, that has consequences spiritually, you may become a slave to sin and get 'dirty' inside and all sorts of stuff. And doing sin separates us from God.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t think it’s a frail attempt to keep on being bad - it sounds like a fair question to me - and an important one.

if you don’t know you’re not guilty - but - the law was given so that you would know. This indicates (to me at least) that God wishes us to grow. So I figured the purpose of the law was to help us understand and grow from it.

Later on in the thread the truth comes out

Of course. We also need to do hard work and provide for our family. The Bible tells to work six days in a week. But do we need to work for our salvation?

Not work for salvation equates to we can keep on sinning to those who choose to twist the scripture.

And as you say, we are to grow, and once we grow to realize something we didn't know was sin, is sin, then we simply repent. There is no hypocrisy here at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the inspiration that is not of God is the sinful nature, and sin is breaking the law of God, that has consequences spiritually, you may become a slave to sin and get 'dirty' inside and all sorts of stuff. And doing sin separates us from God.
That’s where it sounds a bit muddled up to me. I’d call the “sinful nature” the sin. Breaking the law is the sin breathed into the world - as I see it anyway.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That’s where it sounds a bit muddled up to me. I’d call the “sinful nature” the sin. Breaking the law is the sin breathed into the world - as I see it anyway.
ah ok i don't know what to say, you can have the sinful nature and don't sin, but when you break Gods commandments that is sin that you commited.
You are not guilty of having sinful nature, but your evil thoughts and deeds yes are totally our resposability.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

We can go on sinning without concern of hell, but we can not go on sinning without a quilty conscience and God punishing us. You don't need to stop sinning to be saved, but do you really want to ruin your life with sin? What would be the point of that?

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can go on sinning without concern of hell, but we can not go on sinning without a quilty conscience and God punishing us. You don't need to stop sinning to be saved, but do you really want to ruin your life with sin? What would be the point of that?

I don't know hebrews says some scary stuff for the people who after knowing God keeps on sinning wihtout caring, i don't understand much of that but still, very scary.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, we do have to stop sinning, or make a sincere attempt to which means we will sop some of our sins completely.

Or are you saying we don't have to do good in order to get to heven?

Upvote 0